Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2

Has anyone been lucky enough to personally try both? I'm debating which to go for at the moment.

Money isn't so much of an issue, it's more convenience. I'm probably 90% seated VR games (Il-2 & Star Wars Squadrons), but the idea of playing the odd full room VR without a lead is a nice one. Also the tracking seems to be better for full room VR on the Q2.

Having both is not an option for clutter reasons.

So it's really a matter of whether the Reverb G2 is sufficiently better visually in Il-2 to overcome that lack of convenience. Obviously that's subjective, but if anyone has tried both in Il-2 could they give an idea of how big a downgrade it feels using the Q2?

Yes, I tried both. G2 wired, Q2 with link cable and via VD.

By what you say you mainly play seated games and price isn't the factor.

I fully recommend the G2 for your use case.

Better colors, better clarity, better resolution, way better sound, no compression artifacts now and then.

They're both just as comfortable as the other (Q2 with Elite Strap + battery).

P.S. You can't play IL-2 / SW Sq wirelessly in the Q2 without the inconvenience of the headset running out of battery quickly, even with the Elite Strap (which I see as a requirement for comfort and balance!!). You'd need the Oculus Link Cable too. And then the price becomes relatively similar.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, that's very helpful.

(I was definitely planning link for Il-2 & Squadrons were I to get the Q2; it was for room scale games I thought the Q2 being lead free might be nice. The lead isn't too much of a hindrance sitting down.)

Edited by Mahoney

I felt the image quality in the Q2 was so good I couldn't see myself needing/wanting better. The ghosting and stuttering was still a bit of a thing though.
Then HP sent me a notification the G2 was available so I jumped on that, just because (I figured to compare and then return the one I didn't want for a refund). Apart from the image quality in the G2 being noticeably superior it also performed better (3.5 million pixels vs 9.5 million, go figure) so the Q2 was returned.

Edited by J3Hetzer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This thread is of interest to me as I am looking to get into VR now that I am getting back into Great Battles with a new system (space limited so a gaming laptop).

My specs are:

Razer Blade 15 Advanced

I7-9750H (Typically runs about 4 GHZ on main core)

RTX 2070 Max-Q

16 GB DDR4 Ram (upgradeable if need be)

512 GB SSD

I play now in 1080P at Ultra (with 4x MSAA, 16X Anisotropy in NVidia settings, 4x aa in Nvidia settings, HDR, SSAO, Distant buildings and grass, etc. and get over 100 FPS typically (air), but around 50 on the ground online with heavy traffic (still very smooth).

I have a Quest 2 on the way but am wondering about the Reverb G2. I am pretty tech savvy and will tweak settings to achieve reasonable performance (open composite). Why would the G2 have better performance than the Quest 2 if it has a higher resolution? That doesn't make sense? I am going to be running the USB-C to my Thunderbolt 4 port so data bandwith shouldn't be an issue. I'm most concerned about performance and want to achieve a reasonably smooth experience. I would prefer a faster experience to absolute clarity so that's why I originally chose the Quest 2.

Edited by Drewm3i

Got them Both. The G2 for il-2 is better for sure! Better clarity, you can look further away. Better sound of course, well il-2 just looks like a 1080p monitor or even better!

Performance is better with the G2 for me, getting 90 fps with a campaign mission (used it for testing) and with the Q2 I was getting about 64 fps (using a 3060Ti).
Only that thick cable is a bit annoying.

Edited by Slechtvalk

Thanks for all of the input! Question: I can find a new old stock reverb G1 for about $300. Would the performance be the same as the G2, or are the drivers and data transfer also improved so much than the performance is better despite the increase in resolution? With my system, I need the best performing unit over the best visual quality.

Is the performance of the G2 really that much better than the Quest 2 with open composite?

Edited by Drewm3i
8 hours ago, Drewm3i said:

Thanks for all of the input! Question: I can find a new old stock reverb G1 for about $300. Would the performance be the same as the G2, or are the drivers and data transfer also improved so much than the performance is better despite the increase in resolution? With my system, I need the best performing unit over the best visual quality.

Is the performance of the G2 really that much better than the Quest 2 with open composite?

Apparently the reason the 9.5 million pixel G2 performs better than the 3.5 million pixel Q2 is down to the link cable that's so 'thin' (bandwidth) it requires the video data to be compressed/uncompressed.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
3 hours ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

Apparently the reason the 9.5 million pixel G2 performs better than the 3.5 million pixel Q2 is down to the link cable that's so 'thin' (bandwidth) it requires the video data to be compressed/uncompressed.

4.6 million v 3.5 million actually, but you're correct about the encoding.

After a few days with the Quest 2 and G1, the Quest 2 is in the box ready to go back...compared to the G1, it is very uncomfortable, hard to get the image into focus, lower resolution, and also much worse performing even with open composite. The G1 is okay with my system, but I'm struggling getting it to hold 90 FPS even on balanced settings. At first I was getting very dizzy, but after a few days, I'm able to play for a few hours straight. I am an immensely better combat pilot in vr than with the joystick hat switch on the 15.6" laptop screen. I am still looking for ways to improve the experience without dropping more settings or the resolution from 100%. Would upgrading from 16gb to 32 gb ram net a few FPS?

7 hours ago, Drewm3i said:

After a few days with the Quest 2 and G1, the Quest 2 is in the box ready to go back...compared to the G1, it is very uncomfortable, hard to get the image into focus, lower resolution, and also much worse performing even with open composite. The G1 is okay with my system, but I'm struggling getting it to hold 90 FPS even on balanced settings. At first I was getting very dizzy, but after a few days, I'm able to play for a few hours straight. I am an immensely better combat pilot in vr than with the joystick hat switch on the 15.6" laptop screen. I am still looking for ways to improve the experience without dropping more settings or the resolution from 100%. Would upgrading from 16gb to 32 gb ram net a few FPS?

I added 16GB of RAM just before xmas (3600mhz), total now of 32GB, no apparent difference.

8 hours ago, Drewm3i said:

What is the FPS difference between Q2 and G1 all else being equal?

43 minutes ago, mincer said:

The difference (for me at least) wasn't so much FPS as smoothness. The Q2 saw a lot of stuttering and ghosting, whereas the G2's re-projection software is vastly superior. Down low I'm at 45fps but next to zero stuttering and ghosting, even in co-ops where the CPU is being hit way harder than in QMs (which does impact frames).

21 hours ago, mincer said:

I would say 10-15.

20 hours ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

The difference (for me at least) wasn't so much FPS as smoothness. The Q2 saw a lot of stuttering and ghosting, whereas the G2's re-projection software is vastly superior. Down low I'm at 45fps but next to zero stuttering and ghosting, even in co-ops where the CPU is being hit way harder than in QMs (which does impact frames).

How are you enabling the reprojection? With Steam motion smoothing on, I am getting stuttering and blurring in dogfights over towns even around 50-60 FPS.

My settings in WMR are high visual quality and native resolution. In Steam, 100% resolution with motion smoothing.

I bought the q2 for my first foray into vr. It isn’t bad but not great either. I have decided to get a g2, compare the 2 and keep the one I like most which I suspect will be the g2. 

So the million dollar question. It looks like the best place to get a g2 at its retail price is direct from hp.  Does anyone have an idea how long before I’d get one? They say preorders after October 25 would ship in January so it seems like it will be a long wait if I order one now. 

Anyone have wait times to share? 

HP is still claiming sometime in January.  If you click their 'notify' button and leave your email with them, they'll notify you when they receive stock.  How fast you respond to that notification is the trick.  I was notified last week but missed getting one from that restocking...

Ah ok thanks! I’m in the US but I assume I could order from there when it’s available. Completed the notification request. Can’t hurt right! 

Edited by TheSNAFU
9 hours ago, TheSNAFU said:

Ah ok thanks! I’m in the US but I assume I could order from there when it’s available. Completed the notification request. Can’t hurt right! 

You can also order from Connection for the U.S.

https://www.connection.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/1g5u1aa-aba/41024161?cm_sp=brand-hp-_-reverb-g2-_-pre-order

They currently show it is as a pre-order, but it should reserve you a spot for one. They don't fully charge you until it ships.

I ordered a G2 in early December from their UK website and am told it should ship Jan 21st ish - can't wait.  From the sound of things a second batch are currently in transit now, at least to Europe and I see no reason to suspect the USA would be any different.

Birdseed

Ok thanks dburne much appreciated. That’s the hp site I was looking at. I’m going to go ahead and preorder it.

Your passion for vr is what finally convinced me. I am really hooked on the vr experience but the q2 just isn’t clear enough to me so g2 here I come. In time anyway...

And thank you as well Birdseed007. Patience is not my strong suit but It will have to be as a I wait for a 3080 and the g2! 

Edited by TheSNAFU
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

Ok thanks dburne much appreciated. That’s the hp site I was looking at. I’m going to go ahead and preorder it.

Your passion for vr is what finally convinced me. I am really hooked on the vr experience but the q2 just isn’t clear enough to me so g2 here I come. In time anyway...

And thank you as well Birdseed007. Patience is not my strong suit but It will have to be as a I wait for a 3080 and the g2! 

You are most welcome - Reverb G2 + 30xx GPU = Bliss.

Okay so I have to update my experience...though I just upgraded my PC, it is relatively low-spec compared to a gaming desktop (6 cores/12 thread cpu, RTX 2070 Max Q which is basically a desktop GTX 1070). Because of this, I returned the Quest 2 with its bandwith and compression overhead that harms performance. The Reverb worked okay at native resolution and 60 FPS, but motion smoothing would sometimes kick on in the heat off battle both online and offline which gave me eye strain and hampered my ability to dogfight. The Reverb also had poor tracking that lost position frequently with fast head movements (only two cameras. So...I decided to buy a Rift S and despite the minor screen door effect, it looks good enough to be convincing, but more importantly runs really smoothly without major hiccups. I just finished on the Finnish Dynamic Pilot server tonight and had 4 kills and only one death (my best night as of yet). The head tracking on the Rift S is far better than the Reverb G1 and it is much comfier and I can also fit my blue light filtering glasses with ease. The FOV is also wider and the image doesn't blur when moving my head. All in all, I'm sold on the Rift S for my system--Facebook be damned.

Edited by Drewm3i
1 hour ago, Drewm3i said:

Okay so I have to update my experience...though I just upgraded my PC, it is relatively low-spec compared to a gaming desktop (6 cores/12 thread cpu, RTX 2070 Max Q which is basically a desktop GTX 1070). Because of this, I returned the Quest 2 with its bandwith and compression overhead that harms performance. The Reverb worked okay at native resolution and 60 FPS, but motion smoothing would sometimes kick on in the heat off battle both online and offline which gave me eye strain and hampered my ability to dogfight. The Reverb also had poor tracking that lost position frequently with fast head movements (only two cameras. So...I decided to buy a Rift S and despite the minor screen door effect, it looks good enough to be convincing, but more importantly runs really smoothly without major hiccups. I just finished on the Finnish Dynamic Pilot server tonight and had 4 kills and only one death (my best night as of yet). The head tracking on the Rift S is far better than the Reverb G1 and it is much comfier and I can also fit my blue light filtering glasses with ease. The FOV is also wider and the image doesn't blur when moving my head. All in all, I'm sold on the Rift S for my system--Facebook be damned.

:good:

Yeah Oculus did very good with both the Rift and the Rift S. I loved both of them, and got a ton of hours in especially with the Rift S.

It is just a shame they are walking away from PC-VR via Rift.

With regards quest 2. The difference in quality before and after update 23 is really significant. In update 23 they basically upped the refresh rate and removed compression of the link cable.

I have been loving VR so much I am still thinking of buying a G2 even though I am happy with my quest2.

Can any G2 owners advise how much of an overhead they feel WMR adds, or can you use steamvr without WMR?

What I really want is a valve index 2, I fear valve are not racing ahead with their next headset and Facebook are just eating up market share with the quest2!

Edited by Saiyon
1 hour ago, Saiyon said:

I have been loving VR so much I am still thinking of buying a G2 even though I am happy with my quest2.

Yeah, I have both the G2 and Q2 sitting at home. I think if you can afford it - they pair nicely. The Q2 is better for Standalone use such as Virtual Desktop streaming of traditional VR games but also video/media like youtube  etc. My wife and I have been enjoying "hotseat" playing a round of miniputt here and there - and playing puppet fever with our daughter.  The G2 on the other hand is just amazing in my opinion for simming. It's my "goto" for MY games, while the Q2 is more for the family games.