Space Art Anyone?

I was lucky enough to be hired by NASA and GSO back in September and June to do a bit of space art and renditions of habitable worlds, nebula, black-holes, and various other extra-solar phenomenon. Thankfully, I've since been asked back to do a few more. Just thought I'd share for any of you other outer-space nuts.

Hypernia's Supernova

hypernia_s_supernova_by_detcord12b_ddzsq

Discovered by Hubble in 1987, this rendition of a post-supernova event depicts the complete absence of light at the core of the source while highlighting the luminous gaseous ring as a result of thousands of years of expanse and collapse.

Render created for NASA using Photoshop and a Wacom Cintiq.

Corona's Neutron

corona_s_neutron_by_detcord12b_ddzw8ix-f

Located in the Corona Australis constellation and designated as RX J185635−3754, this neutron star is thought to have formed in a supernova explosion of its companion star around one million years ago. First discovered in 1992, it is the closet neutron star to Earth discovered to date. Features two planetary bodies caught in the cloud ellipsis.

Render created for NASA and GSO using Photoshop and a Wacom Cintiq.

Nebula 273-8

nebula_273_8_by_detcord12b_ddzsp49-fullv

A post proto-planetary combine, this stellar nursery was only recently found following the discovery of the RCW-79 nebula formation in the Centaurus region. Features an exoplanet in an elliptical orbit.

A New World

a_new_world_by_detcord12b_de4l49q-fullvi

Rendition of the 3Tx9 Centauri System and potential discoverable planets within the Circumstellar or Goldilocks Zone.

Edited by DetCord12B
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 2

so what we take as nasa photographs is actually art

the sky dome is called sky dome for a reason

edit:

btw thats what i called true skilled art, rendering photographically things dont exist (or you know they exist just by hearing about it)

Edited by raaaid
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

DetCord12B's artwork images, from top to bottom:

1) Thread opens, revealing a large tempting hole...

2) ...through which Raaaid shots his derailer-ray...

3) ... causing the thread to explode in a cloud of vapour.

4) Meanwhile, the rest of humanity moves to another planet to get away from it all. Or wishes they could.

Seriously though, nice artwork, DetCord12B. 👍

And Raaaid, learn to appreciate art for what it is, without questioning who's paying for it too much. There are only two types of artist: those who sell out for filthy lucre, and those that don't. The former usually live longer, and get to produce more art. And to have it appreciated while they are still around. The latter die in poverty, never knowing they will be appreciated. Unless of course some time-traveller turns up in an anachronistic bigger-inside box, and transports them off to a gallery far in the future... 😉

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 2

selling art is prostitution of the soul and working prostitution of the body and mind

i give both for free since my lifes already modestilly solved

i usually put my works in the benchs of my neighboarhood which some take for free, the lamest are the most succesfull works of mine

6 hours ago, raaaid said:

selling art is prostitution of the soul and working prostitution of the body and mind

I very much disagree with you on this point, raaaid.

If you want to give your art away for free that is good, too - you do you.

By the way, the OP has in fact given a lot of his art and his talent away for free right here on these very forums.

• Upvote 1

@DetCord12B  Love the images.

as a fellow professional artist, albeit more traditional paint on canvas old-master style pictures (plus a lot of small scale model making) , I'm always fascinated by those who pursue very different subjects using different mediums.

I gather from what you say  that these images for NASA are done on a computer, but are they done more as "models" rendered within some sort of digital  animated lighting engine which you then "photo-edit", or are they done in a more "painterly manner" where by everything is worked up from nothing solely as a 2D image?

Cheers

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock
On 12/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, HappyHaddock said:

@DetCord12B  Love the images.

as a fellow professional artist, albeit more traditional paint on canvas old-master style pictures (plus a lot of small scale model making) , I'm always fascinated by those who pursue very different subjects using different mediums.

I gather from what you say  that these images for NASA are done on a computer, but are they done more as "models" rendered within some sort of digital  animated lighting engine which you then "photo-edit", or are they done in a more "painterly manner" where by everything is worked up from nothing solely as a 2D image?

Cheers

HH

Everything is done starting from a blank 2D canvas, though I do use a Wacom Cintiq where a "light pen" is needed for the more detailed aspects or corrections like in A New World where hand jammed clouds, shadows, and terrain features simply can't be drawn via a mouse.

As an example, the Corona's Neutron PSD contains well over 120 layers.

eVgXQcV.png

It also helps to have a bit of inspiration as you go...

Edited by DetCord12B
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Everything is done starting from a blank 2D canvas, though I do use a Wacom Cintiq where a "light pen" is needed for the more detailed aspects or corrections like in A New World where hand jammed clouds, shadows, and terrain features simply can't be drawn via a mouse.

As an example, the Corona's Neutron PSD contains well over 120 layers.

Cheers for the info,  and whilst I'm not sure why it should please me,  it is somehow good to hear that although the paint and brushes are digital that these images are still produced in a more traditional painterly manner. 

Not to hijack your thread with my own work, but whilst I've not done so much digital painting, it is an interesting change from my more unusual methods with real paint on physical paper or canvas. Whilst my digital work doesn't benefit from owning a  Cintiq to directly draw on the screen I do have a Wacom graphics tablet and pen. Actually I have two ... the second I won  years ago in a digital art competition, where of all people to come up against I  beat  Roen 911 to first prize, he's the chap who now does the cover/box-art for IL2.

Anyway I have shared this image before, but this was my most recent digital image, done as a gift for my father.

Cheers

HH

loco shed at night.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

how about this ts called schizophrenia i plan to print two numerate them not signed them and leave them on the streets for a home

im more into portrait and conceptual art

of course im slaved cause im amateur

acabadoang.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That's stellar @HappyHaddock. Love it. Anything else?

@raaaid

I've delisted/hidden/added you to my ignore list, yet you pop up. Your posts read like someone found on the streets, a habitual user of crack-cocaine or methamphetamine, someone mentally ill and or burned out via habitual drug usage. So, you go your way and I'll go mine. Just avoid my topics, leave them alone. I have neither the tolerance nor the patience to deal with your incoherent rants, spurious injections, and or more attempts to hijack as many threads as you can. Seek mental health.

This isn't a statement nor is it a question, if you reply, I will contact the site admins in an attempt to rectify this situation.

Edited by DetCord12B
2 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

That's stellar @HappyHaddock. Love it. Anything else?

@DetCord12B  Most of my paintings are hand painted  miniature copies of old masters, or portrait work commissioned by various wealthy collectors around the globe but I occasionally dabble in  digital art focusing on one or another forms of transport where I seem to be drawn to the moody atmosphere of smoke, fire and shadow of old steam loco sheds....  I'm not entirely sure I've found a style of my own with my digital work but it is fun to try different effects and finishes.

Again I don't know how many of these images I've shared here before but here's a few more

Van Gogh self portrait.jpg

Renbrandt Nightwatchmen.jpg

Sean Connery.jpg

Time and tide.jpg

Swansea loco shed (2).jpg

Waking the giant.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just my theory, after Van Allen belt  that is around the earth is the magnetic shield very powerful at 5000 miles to 15000 around our planet that if were not magnetic probably would not be possible the live like the planet Mars that is not magnetic, the solar radiation is very high about 100.000 mega electronvolts minimum that is equivalent between a electricity diferente potencial of 800 or 1000 volts how specify some scientific magazines of 2015 of the Chinese expedition of Chang’e 2 or 3 but Chinese has already arrived to the moon with robots that can resist this solar radiations of 800 volts financed and supply supported with technical technologies by NASA and ASE ( European Spacece Agency)to reduce costs, probably NASA could reach the moon decades before with sondas machines that could resist the high solar radiations . 
In 2024 NASA has promised that the humankind or astronauts will reach again the moon but they have not built a rocket like the Saturn V that they said launch missions Apollo 11 ,12 to the moon the equivalent future rocket is named SLS with the dimensions of the Saturn V but is only a project today . 
Who conquered the moon will dominate the World and is a base to further future expedition more far away but for the our lives there is a big challenge the Solar radiation. 
In 1999 Stanley Kubrick was filming Eyes Wide Shut in The UK when make a decision of declaration that he was a part of the filmography of missions Apollo were filmed in the Area 51 that he will explain to the media so and he was told was afraid of his life , the day after he died , like President JFK in the 60’s and his lover Marilyn Monroe .

Stanley explain George Lukas if you watch Star Wars battles of Yavin , Endor, Naboo, Coruscant ,Scarif , Star Wars 4,6,1 , Star Wars 3 opening , Rogue One ..... all are inside hipotetical Van Allen Belts of fiction planets, that’s some time in the future we could leave the earth but maybe will be with bigger ships that protect from solar radiation,  like the Star Wars cruisers or Star Trek ships .

D1A9FAC7-2C11-4236-BBEC-1774634FF105.jpeg

Nasa SLS rocket test :

Edited by RAY-EU
‘ The Shining ‘Stanley Kubrick film .