New VKB Ultimate Metal Grip

34 minutes ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

Damn the MCG grip is super nice!

But I don't know if I can justify the cost for the cool factor...

I'm still waiting on the TECS

I gave up on TECS and pre-ordered the new Virpil Throttle with detents.

I really wanted to see an offering from VKB with detents to go along with my Gunfighter Mk III Pro, but have been waiting long enough - Virpil beat them to the punch.

(VKB) 10 Things You Always (since yesterday) Wanted to Know About MCG Ultimate

1) So, it is basically MCG, just in a metal hull?

- No. It is a new design based on our inspiration, plus your feedback. Several years of careful analysis are concentrated and distilled in this grip.

2) Made from regular silumin? (Smilar to Thrustmaster grips)

- No. MCG is a pretty hefty grip, and if we used silumin it would weigh more than 1.5 kg. It is made from special aluminum alloy that is nearly as tough as 6061. We are not disclosing its composition. It is lightweight yet durable.

3) Is the shape different from that of a regular MCG?

- No. MCG is a realistic copy of actual grips used in Su-35 and Su-57. This makes the grip appearance and dimensions constant. Real life Su battlecraft pilots who use MCG grips say it _is_ indeed very realistic; there is even a real story of a pilot bringing his MCG on an extension tube to the briefing room, and the squad commander thinking it was actually taken from the plane. By the way, we asked a Su-27 pilot to fly for us and record his footage for the teaser video clip we shared with the community yesterday.

4) Are the load/travel/sound of the buttons same as with MCG?

- No.

5) Is the double step trigger the same?

- No.

6) In which languages will the prints be?

- English or Russian

7) Will there be different versions of the new MCG?

- There will be two: with and without the twist mechanism.

8 ) Will there be a GF v.A version?

- Yes. Right from the beginning.

9) Take my money... how much?

- Thank you! But please wait for the official launch announcement. The only thing we divulge now is, You will love the price.

10) Kosmosima Ultimate?

- Has to be seen. We'll see how the new MCG sells, and how the community likes it. The road is open, so if everything goes right, then why not.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, DragonDaddy said:

I’ve been satisfied using MSFFB for many years. But it would sure be nice having some updated options to fly with. 

Same here - got around to slapping on a small extension and virpil t-50 grip - now its gotta be one of the best flight sim sticks available. i have a post on it somewhere on the forum if you want to see.

My consolation from letting my place in line go for the 3090 FTW and dropping back to a 3080 was spending that freed-up grand on control upgrades.  Definitely in for one - the Gunfighter Mk III is the best stick I've ever had the pleasure of flying with.

Current orders, though, are only for the twist version.  Non-twist won't be available till after new years.  

3 hours ago, Capt_Hook said:

My consolation from letting my place in line go for the 3090 FTW and dropping back to a 3080 was spending that freed-up grand on control upgrades.  Definitely in for one - the Gunfighter Mk III is the best stick I've ever had the pleasure of flying with.

Current orders, though, are only for the twist version.  Non-twist won't be available till after new years.  

Twist version can be locked in place to emulate non twist grip.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:18 AM, Dirt_Merchant said:

Same here - got around to slapping on a small extension and virpil t-50 grip - now its gotta be one of the best flight sim sticks available. i have a post on it somewhere on the forum if you want to see.

Yes, I’ll look for it, thanks. Now that we’ve seen the VKB Ultimate, do you think it is possible to marry this grip with the MSFFB base?

Edited by DragonDaddy
Typo

Looks nice, but my dilemma involves the pricing.  I already have an MCG pro on my gunfighter.  Why on earth would I want to spend 275 USD+DHL+import taxes for a metal version of something I already own?  Offer me a trade up or something.  Make this worth my while.  Otherwise I really don't see a reason to invest that much, but to each their own I suppose.

Lol says the guy who'll probably pick one up if he finds the $.... /sarcasm. ,🙂

Edited by JG51_Beazil
Autoscrewup
On 12/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, dburne said:

Twist version can be locked in place to emulate non twist grip.

Ahh... OK.  If the non-twist doesn't show up for sale soon I'll get that one.  I just hate buying capability I won't use.

In other very funny and embarrassing news - I was watching the video introducing the new grip and realized something.  I have my GFIII / MCG side-mounted in my Obutto Rev, so I never see the right side.  I'd completely forgotten there's a hat switch there, and I've had the stick for coming up on a year.  It's like finding a Christmas present you'd forgotten to wrap in the back of the closet...

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Why on earth would I want to spend 275 USD+DHL+import taxes for a metal version of something I already own?  Offer me a trade up or something. 

Another difficulty is that VKB grips is a kind of Apple, is not compatible with any other base, and most that people own Gunfighter base own plastic MCG, limiting the possibility to sell this grips.

Only when (if) VKB start sell Gunfighter base standalone will have market for used plastic MCG grips.

Anyway who buy Premium don't put your plastic MCG in garbage bin, I am glad in pay the shipping, at least I can make a "FrankStick" with him. 😁

• Upvote 2
On 12/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, DragonDaddy said:

Yes, I’ll look for it, thanks. Now that we’ve seen the VKB Ultimate, do you think it is possible to marry this grip with the MSFFB base?

Possible? yes, just about anything is so. but is it practical? not sure on that one - i mean i wouldn't do it for the reasons that @Sokol1 listed around the incompatibility of VKB stuff with anything from the other two manufacturers. Also - with the stock motors in the base, even with the resistor mod - i think anything heavier than a plastic stick is going to be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, DragonDaddy said:

Thanks, Dirt_Merchant. I was just curious. 

You got it my man!

if you do get around to working on a mod - let me know if you need a hand or advice or whatever i can do to help!

Just because i wouldnt do it, doesnt mean its not a good idea;)

For those interested.

The VKB Ultimate Grip initial batch have the twist axis, and the locking screw to lock that axis did not get included with the first batch shipment.

The size of that screw was posted over on the VKB Forum.

It is M3 x 8mm. If not available an M3 x 10mm will also work.

My grip is due to arrive tomorrow, I will be going to the hardware store tomorrow for something else anyway and will pick up a couple of these screws so I have them.

OMG it as arrived:

nrNO5EN.jpg

Z5DUbyW.jpg

The weight and feel of this thing in my hand, pure awesomeness!

I may have to add a spring to both axis in my extended Gunfighter Mk III Pro-L.

Off to mount and flash the firmware. You even get a couple of extra hat button covers and a long phillips head screwdriver which I assume would be used to change those hats out. You can see them in my pic.

Oh and some black button covers, if one should choose an all black theme - very cool!

Edited by dburne

The Ultimate mounted now to my Gunfighter MK III Pro, flashed and calibrated - all buttons/axis working great. Nice green indicator button below that top left button.

Feels so nice in the hand!

Pretty sure I am going to replace those three round buttons with the black ones.

May also replace the top hat with the other one, will see how it feels.

I tried to load my profile I had with my MCG Pro original, I don't think it liked doing that so had to scratch that idea. Not a big deal though.

I will say - everything about this VKB Ultimate Grip just screams quality! I am highly impressed! Now I have a full metal stick top to bottom.

aAYlYMi.jpg

Edited by dburne

Yet another cool feature of this Ultimate Grip.

The Master Mode Hat ( upper middle) has always been a 2 function hat, either as 8 way POV hat, or relative axis in horizontal and vertical.

You switch modes by a long press of the middle hat button.

Now with the Ultimate, it gives you a red LED beside the green LED on upper left of grip, to let you know when it is in relative axis mode.

Pretty cool.

09ZRJAU.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dburne said:

OMG it as arrived:

Great news!  I have never switched from the Warthog stick because I like the metal feel in my hand.  So, I have been following this announcement with interest since I know many prefer the VKB base.  How would you compare the "feel" of this lighter metal to your old Warthog?

Ah one final note, I keep thinking of things lol.

My grip is also the twist version, so I have an extra axis for twist of the grip. It is a nice firm twist and may come in handy for me if I do something like Elite Dangerous, or maybe even in Star Wars Squadrons. But you can lock that axis with a screw also, which is what I have done for now. I went ahead and calibrated that axis when I did the calibration on the grip to have just in case. I reckon one could also use for rudder if they don't have pedals, but I imagen most that go with this grip probably already have pedals.

It is my understanding this first batch of product was all twist axis - the next batch I believe they will be offering both non twist and twist.

9 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Great news!  I have never switched from the Warthog stick because I like the metal feel in my hand.  So, I have been following this announcement with interest since I know many prefer the VKB base.  How would you compare the "feel" of this lighter metal to your old Warthog?

I like it better in feel I think. It has a bit of a slightly rough texture to it, feels nice and cool, and you can probably see in one of the pics it has a rubber textured pad on the right side of the grip. I like the feel of that pad. Like when I grip it that pad just grabs my palm and says - oh hello there. ;)

This thing is really quality .

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, dburne said:

I like it better in feel I think. It has a bit of a slightly rough texture to it, feels nice and cool, and you can probably see in one of the pics it has a rubber textured pad on the right side of the grip. I like the feel of that pad. Like when I grip it that pad just grabs my palm and says - oh hello there. ;)

This thing is really quality .

Thank you - Definitely may be going on my wish list when they have more in stock.  Based on the photo you posted, do you have it mounted on the same Wheelstandpro I see with your pedals?  If so, did you need a special adaptor like the one I am using for the Warthog?

1 minute ago, Varibraun said:

Thank you - Definitely may be going on my wish list when they have more in stock.  Based on the photo you posted, do you have it mounted on the same Wheelstandpro I see with your pedals?  If so, did you need a special adaptor like the one I am using for the Warthog?

No, Interesting story about that Wheel Stand I have my Crosswind Pedals mounted to.

My stick is mounted to an extended Monster Tech Mount with Gunfighter plate.

So I decided to try some racing again , so I got a Logitech Wheel, Pedals, and Shifter setup - along with a Wheel Stand Pro unit for it so I could just easily move the whole out of the way when I am flying and not sim racing. 

Now to the pedals - I had been fighting a way to keep those pedals affixed to my concrete floor. I used velcro for a while, but once I started needing to be able to move those pedals out of the way for racing, it became messy. So I contacted the Wheel Stand Pro distributor here in the states, inquiring about just buying the very base of the wheel stand, they offer a plate for it that works with Crosswind Pedals. Well no, they would not sell me just the base, but did offer me another wheel stand pro that had been refurbished at a greatly reduced price. So I purchased that, just to be able to use the bottom platform to affix my Crosswind Pedals to, and be able to easily move them out of the way when I want to do some sim racing. 

• Thanks 1