I've noticed that while the game runs smooth as silk in quick missions (8v8), in Pat's co-op missions I see a bit of stutter and ghosting. I'm putting that down to the CPU.

As IL2 doesn't run on more than one core, is there any point upgrading from my I5 8600k (running at 4.3ghz)? The latest CPU would be just another single-core at four point something (I assume).

Use MSI Afterburner for monitor CPU, GPU and memory usage during gameplay for see what is really lacking, may are not just the CPU, but CPU+GPU or GPU.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Anyway, if you replace this i5-8600K with the more expensive i9-10900K - what implicates change motherboard due the Intel biennial "socket dance"; your gain in five popular FPS games will be from -1% to 12% in the best case (CS:GO heavy CPU dependent game).

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/4071vs3941

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

As IL2 doesn't run on more than one core, is there any point upgrading from my I5 8600k (running at 4.3ghz)? The latest CPU would be just another single-core at four point something (I assume).

Without a doubt - Zen 3.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

I've noticed that while the game runs smooth as silk in quick missions (8v8), in Pat's co-op missions I see a bit of stutter and ghosting. I'm putting that down to the CPU.

We have some experience with hosting PW Co-op missions. From time to time there are drop-outs, more often after an important release. Roughly 80% of the missions are smooth as silk and 20% are somewhat difficult. Only a few missions (below 5%) are that overloaded the players (4 to 6 usually) will see a drop in FPS or stuttering of objects. But poor dserver is down on it's knees and produces those overload-warnings. This happens on recent hardware, too. One or two minor releases later the problems are gone. Looks like PW permanently balances the code, mostly successful. Won't blame your CPU for that.

Tried to host our missions on an old Intel i5 2500k (with 16 GB RAM at 4.4 GHz) as a stand-alone-server. No advantages. My AMD 3700 (32 GB RAM) hosting me as one player and the dserver, too, is the much better suited platform for hosting. It is possible to run PWCG-Coop-mission on old hardware, too. You scale down the numbers of AI-objects (activity options to "low"), reduce smoke columns etc pp. - good to go. No He-111-formations, please.
The advantage of the AMD (and recent 8-core Intels, I suppose) is to have a rock-solid basement. My FPS in game are much the same, the old GPU limits. But the system is robust against any kind of additional load, sudden virus scanner operations or that windows-update-stuff going mad. Flying IL2-GB is below 10% CPU, add the dserver and I'm at 15% or so. Same for the dserver-load. One can see the load rising when new objects spawn in. On the new AMD there's one minor stutter, maybe. Old Intel-system had to struggle for seconds to re-arrange with the additional CPU-load.

• Thanks 1

I had changed my 6th gen i7 6700K OC 4,5GHz on all cores to i9 10850k now without OC and my average fps increased in addition about 30-40 fps (same ram and gpu) Bought i9 because it was cheaper than Ryzen with similar cores and clocks speeds and performance in games. 

11 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

Single core best speed has Intel -5.3 GHZ , you can run OC all time on one or more cores,  ppl run 5ghz on all so why not 5,2 on one or two cores . The IPC is much better aslo - so more work done in same time unit compared to older generation. 

• Thanks 1