Jump to content

Valve Index vs Reverb G2, my view (with through the lens pictures)


Recommended Posts

maybe a little bit out of sentence , but I'm going for a upgrade my pc to 3080ti or 90'en
But I have not makes up in my mind yet - that ...... Maybe it's better have a pc with real power and then the G1 really use the power to top - instead of the G2 to more balance and a little bit meh 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 

I think I'm slowly coming around. Now I'm trying to decide between cranking the settings and accepting 45 FPS mode, and lowering the settings (all the way to balanced on my rig) for the smooth 90. One issue that with multiplayer, my 8086K @ 5.1ghz just isn't enough, I'd need a 5900X. But my 3080 is frankly struggling -- I was running High settings, High clouds, no shadows, and G2 at 65% and it wasn't giving me 90 FPS all the time even in QMB.

 

What balance has everyone settled on for the G2?

 

I am running very high GFX settings for IL-2 and 100% resolution for my G2 with Motion Smoothing on.

For me I do not find the reprojection artifacts to be enough of an annoyance to give up eye candy for. I loves my eye candy.

 

 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what you fly mostly. OCed 3090 here.

 

Repro at 45 is fine for flying bombers and JaBos.

 

As soon as you're going into dogfights however, true 90Hz is always the best.

 

However, I found it impossible to keep 100% SteamVR SS. That's 6000x3000 at 90Hz. As soon as clouds come into play (High clouds, high shadows, ultra preset), IL-2 grinds to a halt. From 90Hz down to 40Hz, easily.

 

So it's no alternative. Only flying between 60-70% SteamVR SS allows me to keep the eye candy settings. Still 4800x2400 at 90Hz.

 

At the super high resolution, we've checked spotting ranges too. It seems they aren't as far as if you'd just lower resolution below 50% even. It cuts off a part of your long range visibility.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly OT...but very slightly.

I am the happy owner of the ReverbG2, which replaced the Pimax 5K,but because of “market forces” am operating it with a 2 year old 1080 graphics card . Last year I had intended to replace the 1080 with a 2080, but was counciled to wait for a 3070 or AMD 6080 series card.At least for the present these are only available at highly inflated prices. Now I can be patient and wait out the new cards to be more widely available say at BEST BUY or NEWEGG in the future, but I did wonder if the now old 2080 card might still be a good choice,now? With what I’ve got now I do have a playable game but at relatively low FPS with all the eye candy optomized, but as you can guess I’d like to get at least 60+ FPS as soon as I can so that game play runs more smoothly. So wait for the newest graphics card or try to find a bargain 2080 ( if there is such a thing?) Your advice greatly appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Slightly OT...but very slightly.

[...]

Only the RTX 3080 (or the 3090) in my honest opinion.

 

Reports on 6900XTs on the high resolutions seems to be relatively bad in the German VR community, please remember we're talking 6K resolutions here. You can also run the Reverb G2 at 4K, but still want 90Hz then. The AMD cards seem to drop off beyond 4K/60Hz. How much is drivers related, happens only in VR, or due to any other reason, I don't know, and frankly don't care. Result counts :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Only the RTX 3080 (or the 3090) in my honest opinion.

 

Reports on 6900XTs on the high resolutions seems to be relatively bad in the German VR community, please remember we're talking 6K resolutions here. You can also run the Reverb G2 at 4K, but still want 90Hz then. The AMD cards seem to drop off beyond 4K/60Hz. How much is drivers related, happens only in VR, or due to any other reason, I don't know, and frankly don't care. Result counts :)

 

That's why I'm still waiting on my 3080 I ordered in october :) (at least for 'normal' price). I don't see any better alternative and even with the 3080 I'm sure I have to dial things down to get to 90fps. Meanwhile I'm enjoying my new Predator curved widescreen monitor with gsync support that my 1080 can still handle very well. Even if frames drop every now and then you don't really notice it because of the gsync. In fact, I think it was a better purchase than the Reverb G2 which I have since november.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Only the RTX 3080 (or the 3090) in my honest opinion.

 

Reports on 6900XTs on the high resolutions seems to be relatively bad in the German VR community, please remember we're talking 6K resolutions here. You can also run the Reverb G2 at 4K, but still want 90Hz then. The AMD cards seem to drop off beyond 4K/60Hz. How much is drivers related, happens only in VR, or due to any other reason, I don't know, and frankly don't care. Result counts :)

I've always taken your advice as gospel.I am running it at 90HZ now but somehow have missed the place to run it at 4k rather than 6k to check and see if there is much difference.

Thanks again!😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 12:25 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Repro at 45 is fine for flying bombers and JaBos.

 

As soon as you're going into dogfights however, true 90Hz is always the best.

 

However, I found it impossible to keep 100% SteamVR SS. That's 6000x3000 at 90Hz. As soon as clouds come into play (High clouds, high shadows, ultra preset), IL-2 grinds to a halt. From 90Hz down to 40Hz, easily.

 

So it's no alternative. Only flying between 60-70% SteamVR SS allows me to keep the eye candy settings. Still 4800x2400 at 90Hz.

 

At the super high resolution, we've checked spotting ranges too. It seems they aren't as far as if you'd just lower resolution below 50% even. It cuts off a part of your long range visibility.

 

The thing that I think is definitely better with the G2 over the Index, is my ability to re-acquire a target if I look away. I was always very frustrated in all my other headsets that I could look away for a split second and I'd lose someone. With the G2, even at 60%, it seems to provide enough pixel differentiation that I can find the contact again.

 

I agree about the 45 FPS but unfortunately IL2 is really hard on the CPU in VR multiplayer. I've turned down settings all the way to balanced, no shadows and still drop into a slideshow with my 5.1ghz 8086K. I think the sensible upgrade path is probably 5900X first, see how that goes with the 3080, and then maybe consider a 6900XT 16GB (probably very similar to the 3080 for IL2, but better for the jet simulator since more VRAM).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I have got a 5900X and it runs great, there's no bottleneck with CPU anymore. The new bottleneck for me is the GPU, if clouds are overcast and the resolution is high - they become incredible performance killers. 

 

And I got an RTX 3090 .... 

 

If I ramp up everything to max without or with a few clouds and with 6000x3000 resolution, it's fine. But as soon as many clouds are there and the resolution is high, it grinds to a halt. If many clouds are there and the resolution sits at 60% (5000x2500), it's fine.

 

It's as if only the clouds (in conjunction with HDR) create the explosive performance demand. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, Blitzen said:

Now I can be patient and wait out the new cards to be more widely available say at BEST BUY or NEWEGG in the future, but I did wonder if the now old 2080 card might still be a good choice,now?

 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, Drum said:

It's still a seller's market for the 20xx cards.  At least wait for a 30xx before getting ripped-off...

 

I just bought a used 2080 ti on Ebay for £660. So I was only slightly ripped off. MSRP on a 3080 is around £800 here in the UK, but in most places prices are crazy high and other places there is no stock until perhaps late february from what I've heard. The 2080 ti actually has more VRAM at 11Gb... which I wanted for running MSFS 2020. I only have a Rift V1 at the moment and hope I can run it at 90fps in IL-2. When my bank balance has recovered a little I will probably get a Valve Index. Can anyone tell me if there is much of a performance difference between Index and G2? I would have thought that the Index would run better on my system, rendering less pixels and less Hz. What is the better HMD for a mid range VR PC? (the PC in my signature is my old gaming pc). Having Re-read the thread it seems that an Index is the way to go in future, with my system.

 

Algy

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Found answer earlier in the thread
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 6:12 AM, Alonzo said:

 

I think I'm slowly coming around. Now I'm trying to decide between cranking the settings and accepting 45 FPS mode, and lowering the settings (all the way to balanced on my rig) for the smooth 90. One issue that with multiplayer, my 8086K @ 5.1ghz just isn't enough, I'd need a 5900X. But my 3080 is frankly struggling -- I was running High settings, High clouds, no shadows, and G2 at 65% and it wasn't giving me 90 FPS all the time even in QMB.

 

What balance has everyone settled on for the G2?

I'm MP guy also!

I prefer smooth 90fps and more details ultra settings provide over higher resolution.

In steamVR 50% resolution (will try 60%), motion reprojection enabled and under developer section (steamvr settings) i opted for openxr runtime (this removed stutters for me and my friend).

 

Ingame settings:

-Ultra

-scaling 100%

-1080x728

-shadows off

-mirrors off

-landscape distance detail: x4

-clouds: high

-msaa x0

-sharp

-terrain roughness: off

Thicked boxes: hdr, ssao and sharpen

 

With fpsVR i get mostly avg: 86-90fps 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chiliwili69, this was most of the info I wanted...

On 12/26/2020 at 10:38 AM, chiliwili69 said:

The Index is not as bad as I thought comparing to the new G2. 

 

Basically six advantages:

- Better FOV (I have 3D printed the mod fo G2, still need to test properly but initial impression is that Index FOV is still better)

- Better Sweetspot (clarity from edge to edge)

- Much less GPU demanding

- Can run in 80Hz (less CPU demand)

- No flickering when loading mission (I discover that with the G2, In the Index there is zero flickering)

- No WMR sfotware (Index only requires SteamVR)

 

Just a few questions:

1) The Index can run at 80Hz and I've read that the G2 can run at 60Hz, but most people don't like to. Is it easy to keep up 80Hz in IL-2? I know that people struggle to keep 90Hz with Rift.

2) Does the Index have the equivalent of ASW? Some kind of Reprojection?

3) What is the native resolution of the Index display?

4) Have you tried using Open Composite instead of Steam VR with the Index? Maybe that would give me a bit of a boost.

 

I'm definitely leaning towards the Index. If I had a better system with 3080 etc then I might go for the Reverb G2.

 

Algy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Just a few questions:

1) The Index can run at 80Hz and I've read that the G2 can run at 60Hz, but most people don't like to. Is it easy to keep up 80Hz in IL-2? I know that people struggle to keep 90Hz with Rift.

2) Does the Index have the equivalent of ASW? Some kind of Reprojection?

3) What is the native resolution of the Index display?

4) Have you tried using Open Composite instead of Steam VR with the Index? Maybe that would give me a bit of a boost.

 

I'm definitely leaning towards the Index. If I had a better system with 3080 etc then I might go for the Reverb G2.

 

1. With my 8086K 5.1ghz I struggle to maintain 80 FPS in multiplayer dogfights near the ground. That may not be your use-case, but for that you need a Ryzen-5000 CPU and fast RAM.

2. Yep, it can do frame-doubling mode, and the nice thing is you can target 40/80, 45/90, 60/120 or 72/144 mode, each of which is useful in a different context (for example for the Jets Simulator I used 60/120 mode).

3. Index has ~1400 vertical pixels I think. G2 is 2160 vertical.

4. OpenComposite is Oculus only. Some people are experimenting with OpenXR, which may give some benefits in future, I'm not sure.

 

The other advantage the Index has (my opinion) is the edge-to-edge clarity is better. The G2 center clarity is *amazing* but it falls off fairly quickly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

 

1. With my 8086K 5.1ghz I struggle to maintain 80 FPS in multiplayer dogfights near the ground. That may not be your use-case, but for that you need a Ryzen-5000 CPU and fast RAM.

2. Yep, it can do frame-doubling mode, and the nice thing is you can target 40/80, 45/90, 60/120 or 72/144 mode, each of which is useful in a different context (for example for the Jets Simulator I used 60/120 mode).

3. Index has ~1400 vertical pixels I think. G2 is 2160 vertical.

4. OpenComposite is Oculus only. Some people are experimenting with OpenXR, which may give some benefits in future, I'm not sure.

 

The other advantage the Index has (my opinion) is the edge-to-edge clarity is better. The G2 center clarity is *amazing* but it falls off fairly quickly.

 

I have an i5 9600k that I will overclock to 5GHz, 32 Gb DDR4 RAM that I will overclock to over 3000MHz so I think my system is similar to yours, perhaps a wee bit better. What GPU do you have? I would guess that CPU is the bottleneck for both of us. How is your experience of offline single player IL-2 with your system?

 

That's great that you can set the target fps for the Index. If I can get smooth 80fps that will be great. If not, I can choose 60/120 or 45/90... Do you choose that in Steam VR? And does it make for smooth gameplay?

 

I hope that MSFS 2020 runs ok for me. With my Rift CV1 it should be playable, and perhaps when I get an Index the 40/80 fps setting might run Flight Simulator just fine.

 

Thanks very much for this thread and for your reply @Alonzo

Link to post
Share on other sites

@J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr I see that we have almost the same components in our PC's. Do you think that the i5 9600k overclocked to 5GHz is the bottleneck (limitation)? I have the same graphics card also, except that I have the 2080 ti with more memory.

 

Am I right in thinking that you have the Reverb G1? Do you get smooth performance in IL-2? What about IL-2 multiplayer?

 

When I get my new PC up and running properly then I will share my experiences, should run my Rift CV1 really well.

 

Happy Landings!

Algy

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I have an i5 9600k that I will overclock to 5GHz, 32 Gb DDR4 RAM that I will overclock to over 3000MHz so I think my system is similar to yours, perhaps a wee bit better. What GPU do you have? I would guess that CPU is the bottleneck for both of us. How is your experience of offline single player IL-2 with your system?

 

That's great that you can set the target fps for the Index. If I can get smooth 80fps that will be great. If not, I can choose 60/120 or 45/90... Do you choose that in Steam VR? And does it make for smooth gameplay?

 

8086K, delidded, 5.1ghz, 3600Mhz RAM, NVidia RTX 3080. Offline single player is awesome and really works pretty well (it does depend on the exact mission).

 

Reprojection works pretty well but it does cause some ghosting on planes that are moving across your field of view quickly. 60/120 mode is better than 40/80 mode (obviously) because it reduces the ghosting a bit. 72/144 still gives ghosting, I prefer a true-80 over that. You select the target refresh rate in SteamVR, and if your rig can't supply that frame rate, it drops to half (in frame doubling mode).

 

Honestly frame doubling mode is really quite good, *except* for fast-paced competitive multiplayer. If you're mostly flying SP/offline you'll probably be fine with it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Rift CV1

First .... I really think you shall change that vr to something better .... It was the one I first have in my trip to become a average pilot in GB ... If I was you I would go for the rift s or reverb 1 

 

Yes , I think I have most of time smoothly gameplay , I have my settings in Balance and not so much eye candy on - sometimes I notice that many things are going on in game and my FPS are 45 to 90 

I don't feel the CPU is the buttleneck - it's more the GPU   - when I look at my fpsVR 

 

Ill update my pc later on , but it's more a better GPU ( at moment I'm looking for a uses 3090'er) and not course of money ..... But maybe it's better have a reverb 1 with lot of GPU power , than have a reverb 2 that use all the power ...I donno ...so ....

EEB80CDA-E4DE-44DD-BA85-74F72AB82BBC.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr said:

First .... I really think you shall change that vr to something better .... It was the one I first have in my trip to become a average pilot in GB ... If I was you I would go for the rift s or reverb 1 

 

Yes , I think I have most of time smoothly gameplay , I have my settings in Balance and not so much eye candy on - sometimes I notice that many things are going on in game and my FPS are 45 to 90 

I don't feel the CPU is the buttleneck - it's more the GPU   - when I look at my fpsVR 

 

Ill update my pc later on , but it's more a better GPU ( at moment I'm looking for a uses 3090'er) and not course of money ..... But maybe it's better have a reverb 1 with lot of GPU power , than have a reverb 2 that use all the power ...I donno ...so ....

 

Hi Niiranen. Thanks for the reply.

I am surprised to read that for you the GPU is the limitation in your PC. That's good because the CPU draws the polygons and is stressed more at higher Hz / FPS, whereas the GPU is stressed more with higher resolution / pixels (I think, have I got that right?). Basically I stand a good chance of running my Rift CV1 at 90fps.

 

I will be looking to upgrade my Rift CV1 to a Valve Index, depending on how my system performs with the Rift.

 

You might find that the 3090 is overkill and very expensive, you probably won't need all of that 24Gb of VRAM, unless you want to fly Microsoft's Flight Sim 2020. Maybe you should wait until the 3080 ti comes out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

overkill and very expensive

Yes - thats true ...... But i couldn't control myself - build up in my mind I can't wait for the 80'ti and the pure 80'er I don't want ...so ...yesterday I bought this - used , but 300$ doller cheaper than new 

It's better , but donno how much yet - it still have its moments / same graphic  setting 

 

Now I'll try things and oc ...so on 

 

( Maybe I shall take a look at my ram) 

8A83EC26-964E-46E8-9899-BD5FA4D35C25.jpeg

Edited by J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

 

Hi Niiranen. Thanks for the reply.

I am surprised to read that for you the GPU is the limitation in your PC. That's good because the CPU draws the polygons and is stressed more at higher Hz / FPS, whereas the GPU is stressed more with higher resolution / pixels (I think, have I got that right?). Basically I stand a good chance of running my Rift CV1 at 90fps.

 

I will be looking to upgrade my Rift CV1 to a Valve Index, depending on how my system performs with the Rift.

 

You might find that the 3090 is overkill and very expensive, you probably won't need all of that 24Gb of VRAM, unless you want to fly Microsoft's Flight Sim 2020. Maybe you should wait until the 3080 ti comes out?

 

For me the CPU is the clear bottleneck. I run a i7 8770k at 4.9 Ghz, so not too shabby, but also not high-end (anymore). 

Even with the Rift S i couldn't get 90fps in most circumstances (offline: scripted campaings and dynamic campaign with anything above "sparse population", online in furballs). Graphical changes, as well as changing the supersampling changed virtually nothing (maybe 2-3 fps from very high to low). Low-pop multiplayer and instant action (something like 2v2) works easily on 90 fps, but that is not what i want to do. I guess you really need a current-gen high-end CPU to not run into a bottleneck there. Now switching from the Rift S to the Reverb G2 also didn't change my fps.

Unfortunately I just have to accept the 45fps reprojection, even though I much prefer 90 (which I get for example in War Thunder without any drops). As consolation at least I can pump up my graphics quite drastically and still get a constant 45fps. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I often do to check multiplayer VR FPS is to join Combat Box training server and go to the dogfight area. There are 8-10 other planes there, in a low-altitude furball, and you get an idea of whether the CPU is a bottleneck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Something I often do to check multiplayer VR FPS is to join Combat Box training server and go to the dogfight area. There are 8-10 other planes there, in a low-altitude furball, and you get an idea of whether the CPU is a bottleneck.

 

I used to do this as well, until I realized that heavy clouds were actually more taxing than multiple pilots. Now I tend to set heavy clouds on a QM 1v1 over a larger city on the Bodenplatte map for benchmarking purposes. I find it drops frames lower than Berloga.  Usually if I can achieve 90FPS in this situation, I can generally achieve it during online play anywhere else. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the self-centered posts, maybe someone else has a similar enquiry, who knows...

 

I am 'in two minds' about whether to buy a Valve Index or a Reverb G2 as a replacement for my Rift CV1. My CPU and GPU aren't the best so I was thinking that a Valve Index would be better for my system, being lower resolution. 

 

@Alonzo said that I might struggle with the Index at native 80 hz but that "it can do frame-doubling mode, and the nice thing is you can target 40/80, 45/90, 60/120 or 72/144 mode, each of which is useful in a different context" but that frame-doubling does cause some ghosting, especially at 40/80, less so at 45/90 etc. I assume that this is with motion smoothing on.

 

So, here is my dilemma...

 

If I were to get a Reverb G2 and my system is able to run it at 60% SS @ 60 hz, by the sounds of things if I can stand the flickering then I would get a very smooth display with high resolution and no stuttering or artefacts. I don't have any problems with florescent lighting, but I think I should try it for myself. It is also said to be more comfortable, being lighter in weight, but FOV isn't as good.

 

If I were to get a Valve Index then I could run it at 100% SS in frame-doubling mode at 45/90 or 60/120, but I might experience stuttering, ghosting or artefacts, yes? Another point is that some people say that the Index has a better FOV and 'sweet spot'.

 

 

If you were me, with my system, which would you choose?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will reply here since this is more a G2 vs Index question.

 

Having the CV1 as your previous device you are going to experiment a huge gain in terms on resolution with the G2, and to less extent with the Index.

The G2 is more handy and more similar to the CV1, but for me the CV1 was the number 1 in terms of ergonomics. As don said, it Don said it doesn´t require the basestations setup and for a seated game like IL-2 the tracking is good engouh. (but remember to have some light in the room).

 

You 9600K will be equally good to run both, the G2 and the Index. I never tried the 60Hz mode of the G2, but with the Index I always use the 80Hz with no motion smoothing.

If you are OK with the 60Hz mode, then the G2 has definetely an advantage over the 80Hz mode.

 

Your 2080Ti will be also more than enough for the Index and for the G2 will be also quite valid, but with 60Hz mode (100%SS) or with 90Hz (60%SS).

 

If I were you I will go to the G2, and will test it during the 30 day period. Then, if you are happy with that (I think you will) then forget the Index.

 

In my case I  had the Index before, and had a lot of hope on the G2. And had time to do A B comparison. I am only single-player, so being competitive is not my goal, prefer wider FOV and better edge-to-edge clarity.

 

But other people with Index who acquired the G2 prefered the G2.

 

If you can afford, you can buy both, compare them, and return one.  😉 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I will reply here since this is more a G2 vs Index question.

 

Having the CV1 as your previous device you are going to experiment a huge gain in terms on resolution with the G2, and to less extent with the Index.

The G2 is more handy and more similar to the CV1, but for me the CV1 was the number 1 in terms of ergonomics. As don said, it Don said it doesn´t require the basestations setup and for a seated game like IL-2 the tracking is good engouh. (but remember to have some light in the room).

 

 

Whilst undoubtedly the tracking setup of the Index is far superior, the Reverb G2 is pretty good also. In fact I myself would not just recommend it for seated games like flight sims. I have played through Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Half Life Alyx both with my G2 and did not experience any major difficulties with it. Occasionally when trying to throw a grenade I had some difficulties but not that often. I find the controller tracking to certainly be acceptable.

And yes for seated with flight or racing sims the headset tracking is very good.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @dburne and @chiliwili69... now I have a clear leader in this two horse race, the Reverb G2.

 

I will order a Reverb G2 and see how it is first hand, I will try 60 hz mode and see how I get on with it, and if it is unplayable for me then I will try 45 fps setting with motion smoothing on and see if I can live with some ghosting. Another thing is that I want to run MSFS 2020.

 

Next, trying to find an online shop that will sell the HP Reverb G2 to the UK.

 

Thanks again,

Algy-Lacey

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Thanks @dburne and @chiliwili69... now I have a clear leader in this two horse race, the Reverb G2.

 

I will order a Reverb G2 and see how it is first hand, I will try 60 hz mode and see how I get on with it, and if it is unplayable for me then I will try 45 fps setting with motion smoothing on and see if I can live with some ghosting. Another thing is that I want to run MSFS 2020.

 

Next, trying to find an online shop that will sell the HP Reverb G2 to the UK.

 

Thanks again,

Algy-Lacey

 

It runs MSFS 2020 beautifully utilizing Open XR for WMR.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will place an order for a HP Reverb G2 and try running it at 60 hz with 60% SS (I can always return it if my experience isn't good), with my processor overclocked to 5 Ghz and RAM at 3600 Mhz I might be able to maintain a constant 60 fps.

 

 

What sort of in game settings could I run?

 

If I could choose between

a) an Index with very high SS and Ultra in-game-settings @ 60/120 mode (reprojection)

OR

b) a Reverb G2 with 60% SS and Balanced in-game-settings @ 60 hz mode

 

I think I would still probably choose the Reverb G2 without Reprojection because I want to play online and it will be smoother with no ghosting or stuttering. And if I find 60 hz gives me a headache I can always send it back. It's weird how people struggle with 60 hz when television programs used to broadcast at 30 fps (if I recall correctly). Also, 60 fps during Youtube playback.

 

 

I thank you all for your inputs with helping me choose the right headset.

 

Happy Landings,

Algy-Lacey

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Copied over info from a different thread
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I will place an order for a HP Reverb G2 and try running it at 60 hz with 60% SS (I can always return it if my experience isn't good), with my processor overclocked to 5 Ghz and RAM at 3600 Mhz I might be able to maintain a constant 60 fps.

 

 

What sort of in game settings could I run?

 

If I could choose between

a) an Index with very high SS and Ultra in-game-settings @ 60/120 mode (reprojection)

OR

b) a Reverb G2 with 60% SS and Balanced in-game-settings @ 60 hz mode

 

I think I would still probably choose the Reverb G2 without Reprojection because I want to play online and it will be smoother with no ghosting or stuttering. And if I find 60 hz gives me a headache I can always send it back. It's weird how people struggle with 60 hz when television programs used to broadcast at 30 fps (if I recall correctly). Also, 60 fps during Youtube playback.

 

 

I thank you all for your inputs with helping me choose the right headset.

 

Happy Landings,

Algy-Lacey

 

You should not worry about your performance with the G2.

 

I had a 4790K with 1080 TI when I got the G2 and was able to run it with mostly 90 FPS with medium settings. I too was looking for the 60 Hz mode but it didn't work out but I was surprised how well I was able to run it at 90 Hz.

 

Your rig is much better than the 4790k+1080TI so you'll have a great time if you are not insisting on very high settings. Also depends on how you like to fly. Always jumping into the biggest furball over the most populated areas might not work out that well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HunDread said:

 

You should not worry about your performance with the G2.

 

I had a 4790K with 1080 TI when I got the G2 and was able to run it with mostly 90 FPS with medium settings. I too was looking for the 60 Hz mode but it didn't work out but I was surprised how well I was able to run it at 90 Hz.

 

Your rig is much better than the 4790k+1080TI so you'll have a great time if you are not insisting on very high settings. Also depends on how you like to fly. Always jumping into the biggest furball over the most populated areas might not work out that well. 

 

Thanks for that HunDread, now my mind is made up... 100% :biggrin:

 

The HP Store UK has them in stock! shhhh... don't tell the scammers! (miners, whatever they're called) Cheaper than I would have guessed too, assuming I don't need the controllers for now.

 

All in all this has made me a very happy shopper!

 

Thanks guys

Algy-Lacey

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

 

Thanks for that HunDread, now my mind is made up... 100% :biggrin:

 

The HP Store UK has them in stock! shhhh... don't tell the scammers! (miners, whatever they're called) Cheaper than I would have guessed too, assuming I don't need the controllers for now.

 

All in all this has made me a very happy shopper!

 

Thanks guys

Algy-Lacey

 

 

 

I remember back when I got my first headset - Oculus Rift CV1. I did not get the Touch Controllers. But after getting the headset I was so enamored with it I went ahead and ordered the Touch Controllers for it to see what it was all about . Wow that opened up a whole new world of PC-Gaming for me.

Granted my flight sims take up the bulk of my gaming time, but I so enjoy the occasional foray into some other made for VR games.

Like Half Life Alyx and Medal of Honor Above and Beyond. Totally kick butt PC-VR games.

 

IIRC there are a couple of settings in WMR settings you can only get to from within VR with the controllers. Not positive I am remembering that right but seems like there were. 

 

Some nice reading you might want to check out whilst you wait for your Reverb G2.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/mixed-reality-software

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

 

I personally recommend using the following:

Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR Beta ( you download this from the Steam store).

Steam VR Beta.

 

When you install the G2 it is going to install the standard Windows Mixed Reality to get you set up, and that is fine.

But you will also want the two aforementioned programs as well.

When I power on my headset the standard Windows Mixed Reality opens automatically. I close that down.

Then I launch Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR, and it will launch and also launch Steam and Steam VR for you.

Then just minimize it, and launch the game. 

 

Now me - Steam VR Motion Smoothing does not bother me. In fact I feel it is better even than Oculus ASW. What I do is force Motion Smoothing at 45 fps. I then run the G2 at 100% resolution ( 3172x3100 per eye). I run very high graphics settings in game, with exception of MSAA. I do not run any AA, at this resolution it is not needed. 

This is how I run both IL-2 and DCS and get a very good experience with a great image quality.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow @dburne thanks for that! It would've taken me ages trawling through the forums looking for that kind of info.

 

I was the opposite, I bought my Rift CV1 with controllers because that bundle was on offer and never actually used them for gaming. For now it's flight simming and perhaps a driving game if I buy a wheel and shifter, but if I do want to try Half Life (which looks flippen scary without depth perception and VR!) then I can always get the controllers at a later date.

 

I will have a read of those links, but won't have long to wait, my shiny new Reverb G2 is due to arrive on wednesday! :dance:

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Wow @dburne thanks for that! It would've taken me ages trawling through the forums looking for that kind of info.

 

I was the opposite, I bought my Rift CV1 with controllers because that bundle was on offer and never actually used them for gaming. For now it's flight simming and perhaps a driving game if I buy a wheel and shifter, but if I do want to try Half Life (which looks flippen scary without depth perception and VR!) then I can always get the controllers at a later date.

 

I will have a read of those links, but won't have long to wait, my shiny new Reverb G2 is due to arrive on wednesday! :dance:

 

👍

 

Good deal! Best of luck and holler if you need any assistance. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...