Game version 4.504 discussion: Rough terrain visualization, New cockpit sounding, GFX improvements and other

15 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

IL-2 1946 sounds weren't exactly its strong point. :)

No other game in my lifetime (that I have played) required such approach - i.e. lowering individual application volume inside windows mixer. Ever. And I have been gaming for over 20 years now.

The 20% windows volume in your case isn't the problem here. Lowering windows volume as in controlling the final output is the way to do it for 90% of the users which plug their headsets directly into the MBO, soundcard or feature an USB DAC built into the headsets themselves.

Problem here is when you add another app into the (windows) mix - relative volume vs. other app volume levels, or in this case VOIP comms. What those of us who use voice comms now have to do (in order to keep the in-game volume at 100%) is essentially the same, just the other way around. Meaning we don't experience the full dynamic range of the in-game audio since its volume is (substantially) lowered than the final windows output.

For comparison with your setup, my case scenario is: Win10 => USB DAC (DAC only mode, i.e. max volume) => headphone amp (volume and gain control) => headphones (switching a modmic USB between them).

I wasn't aware this was the way to run things in '46 as well or that Oleg had made the suggestion in that game engine. Jason made the recommendation for this series/engine pretty soon after the launch of BoX. After a bit of experimentation, it is clearly the way to go. 100% in-game volume, or you miss a lot of the sound subtleties, and then adjust other sounds via Windows - particularly TeamSpeak. It works very well and I run a Soundblaster card. 

• Upvote 1
On 12/19/2020 at 2:46 AM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I just tried the same thing in QMB, and didn't have any issues; it was very smooth. 

My graphics settings > Terrain roughness > High

Somebody else mentioned that the terrain roughness is the same as it's always been - it's just the graphics that show it better.  Maybe it was that 1 particular lake.  

I don’t know if this has been raised earlier, but I’ve noticed that the P-39’s pilots are standing-up in their cockpits, and on occasion the pilot’s of C-47’s are also standing.  Some sort of glitch!

1 hour ago, Falcon41 said:

the pilot’s of C-47’s are also standing.  Some sort of glitch!

Not really.  I had the same issue until I disabled my "Pilot USSR change to USAAF Uniform V3" mod.

now with the ability to have USAAF pilots I no longer need the mod.  Thanks Dev's.👍

6 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I wasn't aware this was the way to run things in '46 as well or that Oleg had made the suggestion in that game engine. Jason made the recommendation for this series/engine pretty soon after the launch of BoX. After a bit of experimentation, it is clearly the way to go. 100% in-game volume, or you miss a lot of the sound subtleties, and then adjust other sounds via Windows - particularly TeamSpeak. It works very well and I run a Soundblaster card. 

The difference being here is that this method of lowering IL-2 app volume in windows mixer wasn't needed for IL-2 1946. Here OTOH it is, if one wishes to run VOIP alongside and game audio at 100%.

I have now set 100% audio in-game and am running IL-2 at 20% in windows mixer. Not noticing a major difference, especially since the only reference I have is pre patch in-game volume at 20%.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:55 PM, 216th_Jordan said:

AFAIK you can only choose the visual representation, the physics stay the same in all settings.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, SidtheGit said:

I haven't flown this mission yet with the new terrain but it appears the bogged down issue was there prior to the update.  

from the release notes: 34. U-2VS wing damage when touching the ground during taxiing has been reduced and the landing gear damping settings have been corrected. Now it is possible to land and take off on an unprepared field with a bit of luck;

This was the bit I was referring to.  The new takeoff ability is cancelled out when the terrain roughness is switched on.  The aircraft remains stuck in place and will not move.  If I turn terrain roughness off I can now taxi and take off in the field where I never could before. 

Edited by Feathered_IV
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

This was the bit I was referring to.  The new takeoff ability is cancelled out when the terrain roughness is switched on.  The aircraft remains stuck in place and will not move.  If I turn terrain roughness off I can now taxi and take off in the field where I never could before. 

The terrain roughness option is purely a graphics setting and has nothing to do with whether or not a plane can take off from non-airfield locations.

• Thanks 1

Check out the Cockpit sounds in this real life Mosquito, below.  Sitting in the middle of 2 x Merlin engines is going to sound a bit different to just 1 x Merlin up front.

If you have a JetSeat or JetPad it is well worth turning it on and setting to 'sound mode' for this video; it will rock your seat :)

Also, it you use haptic feedback earphones to listen to the video your ears will rock too!

It is well worth listening to the complete video for all the different in-cockpit sounds at different engine settings and aircraft manoeuvring.  With the new sounds introduced by the new patch I am looking forward to the upcoming Mosquito from the IL-2 GB development team even more now.  Many thanks for the latest sound improvements. 

Mosquito KA114 Flight: May 17 - YouTube

Edited by Talisman
On 12/19/2020 at 8:27 PM, Otto_bann said:

Since several days I try to solve my sound problems, alone or almost... If it seems that the majority is happy with this improvement, some of us have troubles and many of them don't express on this forum, some no longer dare.

Hoping to get a fix by a clean game, I uninstalled (with a cleaning of regedit too) and reinstalled the game on a new drive yesterday (26GB). But I have solved... nothing at all by this way, the problem staying the same :(

In fact the bad sound seems to come from the engine noise as well (for me). I deduce this because when I stop the engine in flight, a large part of my issue stops, although if I can still hear the wind around the cockpit (it's normal).

Below my new video made using a mod, wich solves my problem fully. It's a work of a good guy, knowing and skilled about sounds and sound mods. It's high probability he knows where is the defect.

Alas, this little mod has been given only for 1 plane and just to ident if the issue is in my pc or in the soft. I can't play on servers with it. It just prove that my hardware works well.

Let hear the difference between my saturday video (link in the quote) showing what the last improvement has give to me (but not only me) and this one with this little mod today (it's the same plane, a A3):

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

and this one with this little mod today (it's the same plane, a A3):

it definitely sounds "cooler", almost like the exaggerated spaceship sounds from the Hollywood blockbusters.

Probably not realistic though.. probably.. 

edit:   Frankly I don't understand the dilemma. So far I saw the reason not to give us the effects volume sliders is due to some unicorn cheating, a.k.a. hear the planes on your 6.

But we can already hear them if we open the canopy. I feel like there may be a logical way to fix this 'cheat', i.e. lower the outside sounds by 90% when canopy is closed, regardless of the slider's position on the volume specter.

Edited by 69th_Didney_World
  • Upvote 1

Maybe realistic sounds are still to be found. But this new video compared to my previous one, proves that I don't have anymore the problem of exaggerated breath (that the majority doesn't have). You have to listen to one after the other to better compare.

Maybe also I recorded this one with too high volume sound setting .

Edited by Otto_bann
  • 1CGS
On 12/19/2020 at 4:20 PM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Why does this picture in the update show a US pilot model and the one I still have when I tried out the P-39 in QMB is VVS?  I just took these screenshots a few minutes ago.

So far, pilots are tied to aircraft packages ( in this case, the battle for the Kuban).

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 7:30 AM, Otto_bann said:

Thanks for this video.

I would be so happy if I had your video sound in my simulator.

I hear that the engine noise is clearly higher than the wind noise that you can barely hear. It's rather the opposite in my simulator.

One effect hasn´t been discussed: The frequency of the engine sound is much lower (median of the spectrum). That means, that the air sound is cancelled much more with a mike (video) or a headphone. The lower the frequency, the more the sound gets a boost because of your vibrating body.  If you put the headphone off in a T6 (didn´t fly a P51), the air sound gets much louder in comparison with the engine. So I don´t say this or that is right or wrong. I just say it is not so easy to find that "realistic" balance. Maybe you could connect a big subwoover to your system :)  However, the quality of the changing ram air sound with speed is very high in this sim.

• Thanks 1

The rough terrain is great when driving a tank. It's a little bit of a rough transition between rough and smooth terrain (in a tank), like meandering to the left or right while on a road. Also, the dynamics of motion of the tank bodies have changed, so can we get more antenna wobble?

Wind airflow sound feels way too loud, can barely hear engine and teammates....it is so irritating till point i had to dial game sounds vole down to 10-15% and now practically flying without game sound.

No matter how realistic it is this isn't enjoyable experience anymore, rather it is painful.

Also Spit mk.9 DM is a bit weird, single hit from enemy and it explodes while 109 can withstand damage like tank!

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon

The sounds, which in my opinion has always been a weak point in this game, has now been worsened yet again.

Surely no one here wanted even more wind sounds, as they are already there. Why are the few development resources used for this?
Other, often criticized points like the almost indestructible 109, or cal.0.5 ammo are not fixed.

Difficult for me to find understanding for this.

I'm simming for about 40 years, since ZX-81 (yeah, I'm old too 😊), but I've never heard such strong slipstream sound (in proportion to other sound) in any sim to be honest. Total volume adjustment slider (AND maybe like "GALA" setting on car radios, "speed dependant attenuation" slider too) for the slipstream sound would be I guess very welcomed, so everybody could adjust it to his own taste instead of trying to convince each other endlessly, what is realistic and what is too loud. I also think its worth looking up some in-cockpit Youtube videos, mostly recorded with GoPro probably, which doesn't have too bad of a microphone. For instance these:

P-51C flight cockpit sound      P-51D      Mustang Sally Airshow          P-51D aerobatics      Louisiana Kid

Just my 2 cent...

Edited by Razor18
  • Upvote 1

Interesting.  I hear mostly the engine.  Deep and rumbley until he opens those side canopy windows (?), then it gets louder with more upper frequency fidelity.

I really didn't really hear the wind. 

Considering that most small cameras use a form of audio compression to keep the sound from overloading the audio track and sounding distorted, the result would be, if there was louder wind sound, to try and bring all audio elements to a more equal level so one sound doesn't overwhelm any others, a staple of music recording.

Hmmmmm.🤔

Yeah, most camera microphones try to "normalize" the sound level, taking the loudest of all down to a level where it will not be distorted, but the microphone can not change the proportion between the individual sound levels. So if you do not hear the slipstream over the engine noise, it is because it's NOT stronger, than the engine noise in RL either...

Edited by Razor18

Didn't want to comment on ram air sound realism part with single engine planes, today i tried various bombers and from my experience it's not realistic at all.

I do fly a lot in twin engine water bombers that have naked internal fuselage (no sound or thermal isolation, weight reasons), with speeds similar to ingame bombers(did test with same speeds), also these are 4 blade turbo props which shouldn't be louder than piston engines!

Both in cockipit or in the rear cabin (headphones on and off) you can only hear engine sound, no ram air sounds up to~300-350kph.

Engine placement similar to ingame bomber engines.

While in game even on 200kph ram air is louder than engines.....sorry but this is not realistic and it is annoying.

One hour of flight and i get tinitus!

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon
  • Upvote 1

What is even worse, - maybe it's just me? - the slipstream noise does not fade in at all with increasing speed, and fades out with decreasing speed. It is just like if you would flip a switch at some moment, and it hisses in my ears with full force. And no speed ahcnge reason for it, as I was flying straight and level behind the bomber formation, held their speed for minutes, didn't touch anything. Then it's just comes ON, as if your canopy would have been shot through.

49 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

+1, I’ve spent many hours climbing to altitude in DC-3s and got to jump from a B-25 once, and the throaty roar of the engines drowned out pretty much everything else

OFF

Hay Charlo,

I'm freakin jealous for your B-25 hop. Where was the exit?

Just for bragging right, I on the other hand jumped from a Mi-24 Hind once. 😜

ON

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Razor18 said:

OFF

Hay Charlo,

I'm freakin jealous for your B-25 hop. Where was the exit?

Just for bragging right, I on the other hand jumped from a Mi-24 Hind once. 😜

ON

OFF

Now I'm jealous you got to jump a Mi-24!  I've only jumped helicopters that could carry 4 jumpers, and now the closest I get to jumping a troop vehicle is jumping from a Skyvan, not even remotely as cool. We very rarely jump DC-3s anymore, which I don't really miss since they climb slowly and noisily and you would get a fine spray of engine oil on your rig if you were a front-front floater - but it was fun getting seven of us out on the steps.

The B-25 was "Photo Fanny" back in the mid '90s at Skydive Perris (where I still regularly jump). It came over from the museum in nearby Chino and landed at Perris. It took up a few loads of us, and perhaps the best part was we could choose how to exit, either dropping from the open bomb bay doors or squeezing out of the tail gunner's spot (the glass, seat, and gun had been removed). We could clamber throughout the fuselage as we climbed to altitude, and my buddy and I chose to exit from the tail, pushing ourselves out the tail and rolling onto our backs so we could watch the B-25 fly on.  What a fantastic jump!

ON   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

OFF

The B-25 was "Photo Fanny" back in the mid '90s at Skydive Perris (where I still regularly jump). It came over from the museum in nearby Chino and landed at Perris.

ON   

OFF

Zing! 🤣 Saw it to myself in Chino, visiting my friend in LA in 2011...

DSCF1872.JPG

OK, let's sanitize this topic for IL-2... 🤪

ON

Edited by Razor18
  • Thanks 1
  • Han unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot to thank you for that which is something we asked since many years, and which will be easier to use in our mission. 😃

56. The visibility range of large fires (static effects City_Fire, City_FireSmall, VillageSmoke and their new cyclic versions) has been increased to 100 km;
62. Сyclic settlement fire effects City_Fire_Loop, City_FireSmall_Loop and VillageSmoke_Loop won’t visibly disappear and reappear or ‘flip’ when you move the camera around them, greatly simplifying their use by mission designers and reducing the resulting performance impact;