Game version 4.504 discussion: Rough terrain visualization, New cockpit sounding, GFX improvements and other

E69_Cananas
11 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Tested right now on alpha IL2 Expert : the wind noise in cockpit is too high (tested in 190 A3). The motor sount can't be heared now on my game. Impossible to play long time or with sound shutted only.

It is not too high. It higher than before to be more realistic. Tried with the 190 A3 and I can hear the engine sound.

41Sqn_Skipper
1 hour ago, Otto_bann said:

Tested right now on alpha IL2 Expert : the wind noise in cockpit is too high (tested in 190 A3). The motor sount can't be heared now on my game. Impossible to play long time or with sound shutted only.

May the problem is only for me, the others pilots said to me "no problem" for them. I restarted the game : no change. What can I do now?

Same for me in Spitfire IX. I can barely hear the engine. My in-game volume is set to 10, maybe it's too low?

Edit: Increased volumne to 50, seems to better now.

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper
itsbillyfrazier

Thanks for this update folks.

I've stuck an order in for FC2 even though I have barely played FC1.

I just want to support this super commited dev team so we can all see the Great Battles series continue to grow. 

Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year guys.

• Upvote 2
Otto_bann
33 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

Same for me in Spitfire IX. I can barely hear the engine. My in-game volume is set to 10, maybe it's too low?

After several restarts and finaly of my PC too, I can hear my engine again now.

But this wind sound is always too high IMO. So I decrease the sound of the game because it's an annoying and tiring noise  for me.

I hope  a correction soon for that.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
LF_Gallahad

Sound is now a great input to give you feel of "speed". Nice job, team!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!

• Like 1
1PL-Husar-1Esk

62. Сyclic settlement fire effects City_Fire_Loop, City_FireSmall_Loop and VillageSmoke_Loop won’t visibly disappear and reappear or ‘flip’ when you move the camera around them, greatly simplifying their use by mission designers and reducing the resulting performance impact;

I always thought that this on/off large smoke behavior was made because of performance gain, was surprised when read that it was actually opposite.

Great job that and larger draw distance is huge immersion  boost.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
IckyATLAS

I applaud to all the improvements in visual effects. Hope the sea related issues with ships and submarines is solved.

I applaud also all the work to simplify the smoke effects and have them work without needing all the processing to have continuous smoke.

Better sounds, explosions etc. all this looks awesome.

Good it came just before I release my campaign missions. I will be able to change the smoke and explosion effects to the new ones.

Back to work now! Exciting time to test....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The sound of the relative wind in the cockpit is a bit loud, and there is no difference between open or closed canopy (tests on Yak-1 series 69 and Hurricane Mk II, multiplayer)

The wheels do not touch the ground, and after the crash, the plane seems to "float" above the ground.

Bug02.thumb.jpg.3ab7771a316041ca63cae7519a738f8b.jpg

Bug01.thumb.jpg.e5cee57dfb42e74d36513d58ed25ec3f.jpg

• Like 1

Just landed from an online experience with obelix and friends to test these patch .

Yep ,  external sounds " wind " are  loud and aggressive , and  the louder sound when leaning in cockpit is also too aggressive ,  at the point i had to lower ingame sound to hear my buddies on TS...

To my opinion , it s just a little bit too aggressive and really need some work to equalize soundS.... between engine sound /wind / leaning sound  /ingame radio ... a nice idea that just need some polishing ... 

Edited by 13Nrv
  • Upvote 1
Feathered_IV

Impressive list of improvements.  A cure for the on again/off again smoke is very much appreciated and a big thank you to the person who managed it.  If you can one day extend the time that destroyed objects emit fire and smoke it will be like a brand new game. 

• Upvote 3

Good to see the updates! I think the community would love to see the  implementation of railcars (certain kind of railcars carrying explosives or something) that explode when strafing them. Another idea: when strafing the locomotive; have steam come out of the exhaust. I think it would add more realism and spice to the sim. what you guys think?

Edited by invis
  • Upvote 1

Good evening,

after fixing a bug in the check zone settings I can confirm that the new smoke effect loops work with a simple start/stop mechanism.

943394025_fire-switch(notworking).thumb.JPG.bf3c7cd4683082721f4d85e3ee3537b1.JPG

And the new effect really makes a difference not only because of the increased distance of visibility:

City-Fire-Loop.thumb.JPG.aa0a79664cf929286e919f986e17848f.JPG

New effect to the left, old effect triggered by a sustainer loop to the right.

Cheers

Edited by Hamaha15
  • Upvote 1
IckyATLAS

After testing, I can say:

Sea issues with ships are corrected and now motions in rough sea and height in water are perfect.

Excellent work with effects and explosions.

A bug with city_fire seems to have been corrected. In the previous version, city_fire could not be stopped entirely. The smoke would be stopped but the base fire would continue indefinitely.

Now when stopping a city_fire, you have to wait like 15 seconds after the stop command and then it completely stops, smoke and fire. The other effects stop immediately.

The rough terrain is now visually rough indeed. 

Well done devs. Many Thanks.

But you can always improve right?

Next maybe to complete the missing static planes so that all planes could have at least one static version? 

You could have the waves direction according to wind direction, and less waves in the closed harbours like Tuapse, Kerch and Novorossiysk when the sea is very rough, that would be nice too.

But I am patient, no hurry. When you have time. Take it easy. 🙂 

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
HARD_Adder***

I want to complement your efforts. But with each visual spiff our Servers load up on those assets sending hundreds of players like myself to an almost unplayable status. perhaps an adjustment to the minimum playable requirement perhaps, perhaps not

Freycinet
7 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Thank you for this sweet little update! I hope you can rest for the last weeks and enjoy Xmas!

Christmas is only early next year...

• Upvote 1
  • 1CGS
AnPetrovich
13 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

this wind sound is always too high IMO. So I decrease the sound of the game because it's an annoying and tiring noise  for me.

I hope  a correction soon for that.

Ok, got it. Maybe we will make this correction you're asking for. Right after we reduce a force of gravity, just because it pulls airplanes down too much and this is obviously very annoying. :biggrin:

But no joke, wind has a huge power at high speed. And trust me, air is a REAL THING at speed any higher than 200 - 300 km/h, especially as much as 500 - 600 km/h. It produses a very, VERY loud sound. Much louder than we have in the game.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Upvote 10
1 hour ago, IckyATLAS said:

Next maybe to complete the missing static planes so that all planes could have at least one static version? 

You could have the waves direction according to wind direction, and less waves in the closed harbours like Tuapse, Kerch and Novorossiysk when the sea is very rough, that would be nice too.

But I am patient, no hurry. When you have time.

+100 :thank_you:

As for the rest of the update....:yahoo:

9./JG52Gruber

Had a flight in the He 111 and the wind noise in the pilots position seems far too loud. Defensive fire from crew positions was more muted but I think somebody left a window open.

17 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

But no joke, wind has a huge power at high speed. And trust me, air is a REAL THING at a speed any higher than 200 - 300 km/h, especially as much as 500 - 600 km/h. It produses a very, VERY loud sound. Much louder than we have in the game.

I'll attest to that. I used to race sportbikes back in the day. 300kph, huddled behind the windshield is like living in a rage filled bubble surrounded by violence. You can't even hear the engine intake 30cm away from your skull and any bit of you that touches the windstream is violently pulled back......it's terrific fun.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

14 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Just wanted to express one more time my appreciation for the way in which this organization does business.  It feels like a partnership, which is very rare in my experience as a consumer.  

This is why I have spent money that I dont have per se but want to support this developer.

12 hours ago, Rustedgun said:

I just smile when I see release like this one. It is the constant attention to detail and the continuous flow of additions and improvements that keep me a long term customer of whatever you produce.

I agree. When I found out about this, read through the forums and saw the level of quality and care this team has for their product and customers, is amazing. Its why i have opted to support them so much even though I play elite dangerous so much. I wanted to encourage their work and have my flight game for when im ready for it.

Edited by ksetuni
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
sevenless
1 hour ago, AnPetrovich said:

But no joke, wind has a huge power at high speed. And trust me, air is a REAL THING at a speed any higher than 200 - 300 km/h, especially as much as 500 - 600 km/h. It produses a very, VERY loud sound. Much louder than we have in the game.

Yep, that is true. Especially with open canopy. However maybe not that much audible with closed canopy and pilot wearing his flight cap with pilot headset? On the other hand engine noise is dimmed down by the headset also. I guess it will be hard to get the balance right. You guys are on a good way however. Appreciate the effort.

itsbillyfrazier

So I had a chance to test the new updates this evening and I am really impressed so far.

The sim continues to blow me away...you guys deserve all the beer and mince pies you can get your hands on this Christmas 🍻

I'm seriously considering selling a kidney so I can upgrade the PC and get on the VR bandwagon. I feel like I have been missing out now for too long.

The sound improvements are really welcome also,  I would love if the team continued to improve this area of the sim.

One thing I did notice while flying the FW-190A earlier this evening,  there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference in sound when opening the canopy on the runway while in a stationary position. Pretty sure it was more realistic prior to this update. The engine and environment sounds seemed louder when the canopy was open in the previous update.

Also I didn't notice an increase in wind noise that others have mentioned here. Just to confirm, the update was c. 200mb?

I noticed some people reported on the steam forums they received an update c. 1.9GB. Can someone confirm the update size?

Anyway, keep up the great work guys.  

Many thanks,

Billy.

Bert_Foster

Engine sound versus airflow noise inside the cockpit with changes in IAS. There is a better video out there on the net somewhere with a 3 Ship.

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
8 hours ago, Melonfish said:

I don't suppose a fix for the hurricane has been snuck in? I.e. nose pitching up when the flaps are deployed, otherwise it's Mary Poppins. 

Do you have any information that the opposite was true?

• Like 1
peregrine7

Firstly, I don't mean to be "that guy" - the wind volume increase is fantastic and something that used to really bug me. It's an issue in racing sims as well (ACC anyone?). Too often we focus on engine noise, but wind noise IRL is just staggering. Even the "slow" planes I've flown are just maelstroms of noise at higher speeds - 600km/h in a bolted together thing is just a lot. Thank you so much for including this!

I will say, though, that one thing MSFS got right is the wind noise and cockpit noise. The way you can hear the slip of the plane as the wind batters the left/right side of the cockpit (especially in flat sided cockpits like the 109) is huge. Wind batters at the leading side of the cockpit and buffets (as it separates) on the trailing side with whistling noises at the separation points. Also the various components rattle around (a little) when stalling out which adds a bunch to the feeling. Especially for those of us in VR who don't get the "head shake" these little details would add a lot.

Overall, very happy with the wind noise changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
ronny_schmidt*93

Just today I was going to start playing again after a while and I found the update, I downloaded it and the performance went to the floor, very low fps when there is some kind of action and way too many stuttering. I do not know if it is a coincidence or it was because of the update, if someone has any information or the same thing is happening to them please share it because now for me it is simply unplayable and I really enjoy it a lot

I'm confused.  Is the "unprepared field" fix in this update?

I ask because I still can't take off. 

I restarted after the update and tested the Po-2 on Lapino Summer landing in a large open field.  The landing was rough but the plane survived without damage and the wheels aren't up to the hubs.  And although it was very bumpy I was able to get off the ground albeit it took some time to get airborne.

But on subsequent attempts I can not get off the ground.  I can get to a max of 40KPH but no faster.  If I hit a big "dirt clod" the plane slow to 25~30 KPH and won't pick up any more speed.  I finally had engine failure trying to take off.

So are only some areas takeoff friendly?  If so what are the parameters?  Is it only on the Arras map? 

Am I doing something wrong or do I misunderstand that this "fix" is in this update??  

This would open up a world of possibilities for the mission builder.

Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I have to turn Terrain roughness to "Off".

I don't mean to me snarky but again we are given a feature with barely an explanation of how it works, just that it can be adjusted.  I'm not asking for detailed instructions on every little thing but this is a feature that many users, both flyers and tankers would use.

"The detail of this visualization can be adjusted or completely disabled and works at ‘Medium’ or better graphics settings preset;"
Which makes no mention of the dialog box 'Terrain roughness' or what those settings mean in the Graphics settings menu.  I know, I know, we are expected to be smart enough to figure that out.  Has anyone looked at the kinds of questions asked here?   A lot of folks are kind of clueless including most of us when we started.  I always wonder how many potential long term customers were lost because they got frustrated with not being able to figure the basics out and looking for but not finding an FAQ of some kind.

I know, STFU and learn, like you did, by trial and error.  I love this game but sometimes I could just scream!🤬

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice little update. Thanks.

I was hoping for the 50 cals hitting power to get some attention.

Will just have to keep shooting hispanos or mausers I guess...

• Upvote 2
Bert_Foster

here is the 3 Ship video I referred to in my previous post. A really good representation of Engine versus Air Flow at various speeds as heard in the cockpit.

• Upvote 1
  • Han unpinned this topic