Discussion of Flying Circus II Announcement

2 hours ago, Tycoon said:

How shit can a game engine be when it sounds like a monumental task to do something as simple as rolling back an update for certain planes. This problem has always haunted the dn engine, fix one problem, create 10 new ones.

Well if you've only taken Intro to Computer Science 101 for Art History majors, that's probably how it might seem.  But these guys have made a commercial flight simulation game.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Tycoon said:

How shit can a game engine be when it sounds like a monumental task to do something as simple as rolling back an update for certain planes. This problem has always haunted the dn engine, fix one problem, create 10 new ones.

Welcome to Programming 1.01.  It’s always good to see some Poly Sci majors in these classes to help round out the bottom of the curve...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

Time for people to read The Story of Mel (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html).

But to what avail? Those who will understand it don't need to read it.

I didn’t start with machine code, but I filled out lots of cards that we ran through a card reader on a PDP-8 because we only had 1 terminal.  Fortunately, we coded in BASIC so it wasn’t a disaster if you dropped your stack of cards.

• Like 2

So how does this work?  I've been waiting for the bombers for years.  Can we combine vol1 and vol2 planesets into the same server?  I'm guessing we can, but only those with vol1

and vol2 can see the newest planes?  Being a bomber for over 10 years in RB3D and then ROF....  been waiting for this.  Even at 59US that's still like 80 CAN....  ouch.

And also,  get Vulkan support going so we can run it under linux natively.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, Patersonski said:

I pre-ordered Vol 1 and will certainly do the same with 2 shortly. The map improvement has me most interested. I was disappointed with the front/NML in Vol 1 as I’m of the opinion that flying low over the WW1 trenches would be one of the most unique and atmospheric experiences in VR. Period. I’d love to see that potential ultimately realized through Vol 3.

Yeah it really would be period. You'd likely get shot at by every LMG and rifle within range.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

If there is a point in this universe farthest removed from what our wives ever found attractive, sexy and dangerous about us, then this thread is it.

Just bring on the planes, Jason.

No, that was old RoF forum :).

("Kid's asleep, just ban them all and come to bed!")

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, AB1CamelJock said:

So how does this work?  I've been waiting for the bombers for years.  Can we combine vol1 and vol2 planesets into the same server?  I'm guessing we can, but only those with vol1

and vol2 can see the newest planes?  Being a bomber for over 10 years in RB3D and then ROF....  been waiting for this.  Even at 59US that's still like 80 CAN....  ouch.

And also,  get Vulkan support going so we can run it under linux natively.

Everything in Il-2 is on your hard-drive, weather you own it or not. If you have FC1 but not 2, you will be able to fly against the FC2 aircraft in both single and multiplayer, and be able to ride as gunner in FC2 aircraft in multiplayer, but not fly them. You will be able to fly over the FC2 map (as with any map) in multiplayer, but not in single player, but it sounds like this is a special case as when fc3 comes along and the maps are combined, all FC owners will be able to use them. Basically, you buy access to use things yourself, but everything is still there on the drive so that you can interact with it. 

19 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I didn’t start with machine code, but I filled out lots of cards that we ran through a card reader on a PDP-8 because we only had 1 terminal.  Fortunately, we coded in BASIC so it wasn’t a disaster if you dropped your stack of cards.

S!

Been there. Done that.

Actually started with punch tape.

Started programing in BASIC and then FORTRAN.  Many nightmares trying to debug.

• Like 1

Has there been any suggestion that there will be any "revamped" or "new" features, besides a campaign, to be released with FC2 or is it simply planes and map ?  I, thinking out loud, reckon that the engine management features of the aircraft could really do with an overhaul, to bring them closer to the attention to detail seen in the WW2 kites.  Despite profound differences between rotary and inline engines, there really isn't anything, that I can see,  to significantly differentiate ths in FC.  I also don't see any downsides, or upsides, to set/adjustable mixture control, and boosting the engines (running beyond rated RPM) doesn't seem to be particularly restricted by what one might imagine are the normal limiting factors.

8 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

@HagarTheHorribleMabey just read the announcements yourself Hagar, rather than ask everyone else to do your thinking for you.

That would be to suggest I avidly follow every post, in every thread, in every possible forum (Twitter, Facebook, to name but two).  Not all posts and feature updates are the “official announcements”, but occasionally tucked away in any number of places.

12 hours ago, Vig said:

I just supported it with a preorder.  Give me a Hansa-Brandenburg D.1 in Vol.3 and I will love you again.

Ooo This.  I would actually suggest using FC2 & FC3 to get all the western front stuff from RoF out and then Release Battle of Tarnopol with the three Russian aircraft from RoF (plus a couple new ones Morane-Saulnier Parasol/Bullet and/or Farman) and then a selection of Austro-Hungarian aircraft (Hansa-Brandenburg C.I (early/late), Hansa-Brandenburg D.I, Oeffag D.II,  Oeffag D.III, and maybe a Rumpler C.Ia or Albatros C.III for the Germans).  It seems that the Austro-Hungarians didn't really have dedicated fighter units but scouts were attached to Recon/bomber units.  The Hansa-Brandenburg C.I early and late models are absolutely essential.  For details see here: https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/44843-eastern-front-pwcg/ For H-B C.I details check out this hyper-accurate flying replica: https://www.craftlab.at/fliegen-hansa-brandenburg-c1 Maybe those guys can help with refs (They are also building two Hansa-Brandenburg KD1s).

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Edited by Fafnir_6
  • Upvote 2
On 12/18/2020 at 7:16 AM, J2_Trupobaw said:

No, that was old RoF forum :).

("Kid's asleep, just ban them all and come to bed!")

Looks like I have something in common with your wife.  I too used to wait around, impatiently, for you to go to bed.  I saved some of my best posts for times when I knew you were asleep. 

😏

9 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Floatplanes would require the channel map, so I dont see those coming in vol3.

You lie! The channel map he is coming soon or before. How else we get Zeppelini huh? Jason wants him he say. I readed it for him and so on forth.

• Haha 1

Just a thought that popped into my head: 

With the WW2 side of IL2 seeing new pilot designs based on different years, how cool would it be to see leather trench coats for pilots of earlier British planes? 

g1XNMoZl.jpg

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1
On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, HagarTheHorrible said:

I, thinking out loud, reckon that the engine management features of the aircraft could really do with an overhaul, to bring them closer to the attention to detail seen in the WW2 kites.  Despite profound differences between rotary and inline engines, there really isn't anything, that I can see,  to significantly differentiate ths in FC.

I'm getting déjà vu here.  If such controls were compulsory, I think I know exactly how popular they'd be.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, J5_Hellbender said:

WHERE IS HANRIOT HD1 IN THE GAME...I JUST PARACHUTED BUT ALL I SEE ARE THESE PUNY ENTENTE AND AXIS MACHINES WHEN I BRUNCH IL-2 BELGIUMOVIK GREAT WAFFLES?

(it’s coming)

With the "bender" in the name "Hellbender", the love of the Hanriot HD1, and the former location of Brussels, is this the original "Bender" from the ROF forum?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gorillacakes said:

With the "bender" in the name "Hellbender", the love of the Hanriot HD1, and the former location of Brussels, is this the original "Bender" from the ROF forum?

That depends, are you the gorillacake from this thread? https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/17527-hanriot-fag-walter-pieters-syndicate-hd1-gavagai/

Jason, it looks like you have attracted more Belgians!

You literally cannot afford not to release the Hanriot as a collector plane. You're going to sell at least, I dunno, half a dozen. Maybe more if I also buy one for my dad.

• Haha 1

Will there be any training missions, materials, etc?  

I believe there are people who would like to learn how to fly a WW1 plane but are concerned about the 'barrier to entry' here. 

5 hours ago, gorillacakes said:

[...] and the former location of Brussels [...]

Where the Hell (bender) is Brussels now?!

1 hour ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Jason, it looks like you have attracted more Belgians! [...] 

You literally cannot afford not to release the Hanriot as a collector plane. You're going to sell at least, I dunno, half a dozen. Maybe more if I also buy one for my dad.

I know at least one Pole who may be in. As for this portuguese, I'll buy anything under a Lewis gun.

Edited by J2_Bidu
On 12/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, 40plus said:
  • Not an important enough feature to bother complaining about

Thats like your opinion man. Truck Simulator does extremely well with this and I don't know why these companies don't copy a game like that for planes. Not everyone is into the same experience.

15 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

That depends, are you the gorillacake from this thread? https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/17527-hanriot-fag-walter-pieters-syndicate-hd1-gavagai/

Jason, it looks like you have attracted more Belgians!

Hey, I never got to read those articles.

Very nice read, specially Meet the Squadron one (no Bias here hehehe)

Haash

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

Hey, I never got to read those articles.

Very nice read, specially Meet the Squadron one (no Bias here hehehe)

Haash

Reading that Syndicate "Meet the Squadron" was quite fun indeed 😆

4 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Some extra mods, ammo types and engine variants for the existing FC1 planes would be awesome.

Exactly. Have a prop/engine variation for SE5a to make it more competitive in regular fighting, maybe have a couple Spad XIII engine variations, or even the early "rounded" wings for Spad XIII for a 1917 scenario, engine variations for Alb D.Va, etc. There seems to be a couple categories of work - rounding out and fixing up FC1 content, and then totally new content for FC2.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
  • Upvote 4