Discussion of Flying Circus II Announcement

3 hours ago, Von_Drinkoften said:

The announcement of a single player campaign (FINALLY) is very welcome news, as I have no interest whatsoever in multi-player flying or third party addons such as PWCG. 

But, I am curious if this single player campaign will also be available to those of us whom pre-purchased Volume I in good faith that one would eventually be created for it?

If not, then that's going to permanently turn me off this series (and developer) completely. 

Have no fear.  The nature of this game engine is such that new advances such as the WWI career will be integrated with previous releases (similar to how BoN aircraft are being added to the BoBp career currently).   I think the only reason we didn't get a career mode with FC1 is that it was a sort of trial to see how much interest there was in the Flying Circus product line (WWI is more niche than WWII and those of us who had all the Rise of Flight stuff would be essentially re-buying it).  It seems that the FC1 sales from the multiplayer community and single players willing to take a chance on it like you and I; have helped raise sales past whatever level needed to justify the not-insignificant cost of implementing a WWI career mode.   I'm very happy with the announcement of FC2 and will be pre-purchasing it with my xmas money shortly.  My only gripe is that the plane set is not even between the Entente and Central Powers.  But as long as all RoF content eventually finds its way into this engine, I'll be happy in the long run.  It would be cool to see the Channel map with the floaters as well as the Brusilov Offensive (Eastern Front) map (especially if they bundled it with some new Austro-Hungarian stuff (Hansa-Brandenburg C.I and D.I)).  Those could all then possibly lead to my dream of the Italian Front. 

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Hard to be enthusiastic when central gets more indestructible planes and we get more fodder really the sopwith tripe lol one gun death trap , without addressing the DM it doesn't matter what planes entente get....and its hardly likley central will remove the d7 till its fixed.......with that said I bought it anyways with the hope the future will have improvements on the DM 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Thanks! It seems a shame when they could've sold it separately... they managed to have three N.17 variants and they are more similar to each other (although some of those were free)!

Ah! That explains the Ilya... I briefly had that separate client btw.

The 3 Nieuport 17s came in over time. The Original french one came in at the normal price, then people asked for the RFC version came in at something like 1/3rd price since it was an iteration on the prior aircraft (did seem strange to me that they were not retroactively bundled.) Finally the Russian one was added as a free starter aircraft so that people in the russian community who wanted to try it out but were more interested in flying on the eastern front would have something to play with there. IIRC it was a pretty late addition. 

3 hours ago, J5_HellCat_ said:

Ran out of upvotes

These releases should obviously be accompanied by an extra allowance of "reactions".   😑 It's like winning the lottery while hiding from break-in robbers. My mind could explode.

28 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Not if one or more make it to those unannounced collector planes mentioned...

Come on ....Pup! 😉

The Pup ❤️

Edited by J2_Bidu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

IIRC it was a pretty late addition. 

Not the less welcome for being late though!

24 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Wings, from 1927. ;)

One would think I should've seen it by now! 😄 It is amazing the gaps... 

SPAD.VII C.1

1280px-SPAD_S.VII_C1_unmarked_(S.1420)_(6384520453).jpg

Airco DH.4

7398335ec115b98dfe88b2cee0464930.jpg

Sopwith Triplane

Sopwith_Triplane_G-BOCK.jpg

Nieuport 28.C1 

001134763.jpg

Breguet 14.B2

Breguet_XIV_Le_Bourget_01.JPG

Handley Page 0-400

Handley-Page-VS-Albatross.jpg

Pfalz D.XII

95526_1540919098.jpg

Fokker D.VIII

1d91d4967eeb646e3879e8080f4aa8a6.jpg

DFW C.V.

tumblr_p03c4spj5i1u5z9tdo1_1280.jpg

Gotha G.V.

tumblr_nh5le0ml2M1u5z9tdo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic news! I'm going to pre-order today for sure! It's great to get the 2 seaters - this will help a lot flesh out PWCG campaigns now.

I'll be in for a longer wait when it comes to my favourite aircraft: no doubt the N17 is coming in FC3, but I'm still slightly concerned about whether the N11 and the EIII will ever feature in FC - ever since FC was announced I've been wanting to fly the EIII in VR (or any early war crate really, they'll be all brilliant for VR) - seeing these wings warp and having that sense of flying something that's barely adequate to engage in a dogfight in VR should make for an amazing experience. If they're not in FC3 hopefully they can be collector aircraft at some point in the future

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Redwo1f said:

Not if one or more make it to those unannounced collector planes mentioned...

Come on ....Pup! 😉

In Jason's briefing room it's mentioned collector planes will be new aircraft (so not aircraft that were present in rise of flight).

Edited by ww2fighter20
1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

Thanks! It seems a shame when they could've sold it separately... they managed to have three N.17 variants and they are more similar to each other (although some of those were free)!

Only the Russian Nieuport 17 was free - the British Nieuport 17 was added quite a while after the French variant.

32 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Just curious.  Is the DH.4 going to be a US or British engined variant?

Can’t remember what the RoF one had. I’m glad we’ve got this rather than the RE8.  It’ll be interesting to see if the a.i. can actually fly the Gotha in the GBS engine.  In RoF the a.i. had a habit of getting into an unrecoverable spin and breaking up in the air.

1 hour ago, Fafnir_6 said:

My only gripe is that the plane set is not even between the Entente and Central Powers.

Thank you, I didn't want to be the first to point that out. As it is the Entente are going back wards in capabilities to combat the Central side. But lets hope we they give us some cool collector planes (cough cough Snipe). I understand us not getting that plane with FC2, Be a great business move on their part. Probably could sell it for the cost of FC II.     

33 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

In Jason's briefing room it's mentioned collector planes will be new aircraft (so not aircraft that were present in rise of flight).

Oops, you're right, my bad...

FCIII then most likely for Pup, N17, RE8, etc.

23 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Can’t remember what the RoF one had. I’m glad we’ve got this rather than the RE8.  It’ll be interesting to see if the a.i. can actually fly the Gotha in the GBS engine.  In RoF the a.i. had a habit of getting into an unrecoverable spin and breaking up in the air.

The D.H.4 in RoF has the British engine.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm....

as a fairly newbie I thought that section of the announcement was very encouraging to read:

"FC2 is the first part of a new two-part plan to create not only FC2 but also FC3 with our partner Ugra Media. Completion of this new plan will make the first three volumes of Flying Circus an exhilarating combat flying experience that we hope will usher in a new era of development for Great War titles and content."

It gives actually a "long term" forecast about what to expect for the next few years. IMHO.

That sounds not to bad at all to me.

CCC

I'd had a few stiff Gins see, with Absinthe chasers, at the Gentleman's Club when the news came through.

Luckily I have a great tolerance for alcohol. Unassisted and with admirable fortitude and dignity suppressing my excitement, I made haste toward the exit ....

1613709424_revolvingdoor.gif.b516833f14e2c508a304323c581e3cdd.gif

Having successfully negotiated the revolving door with grace and poise, I bade a cheerful farewell to the doorman and set off for home.

Stout of heart and with a spring in my step my abode came into sight. At last!

I bounded up the stairs enthusiastically ....

stairs.gif.17861aee600fa12a8f5b89a828c6639a.gif

And with great care I headed toward the computer room to enact an important transaction.

At least, I think that's what happened ....

Edited by ST_Catchov
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Thank you, I didn't want to be the first to point that out. As it is the Entente are going back wards in capabilities to combat the Central side. But lets hope we they give us some cool collector planes (cough cough Snipe). I understand us not getting that plane with FC2, Be a great business move on their part. Probably could sell it for the cost of FC II.     

The only Central plane operational in 1918 we're not getting is Albatros D.III. We're getting Tripe as not-really-belongs-here plane instead. And three Entente bombers to shoot at :).

"We are still a small team relatively speaking and we are doing all we can to keep WWI combat simming alive and moving forward."

I for one thank you Jason for taking the chance on FCI, and now I look forward to FCII and FCIII. FCI is Fun so keep up the good work Team 1C and Ugra Media as expectations for FCII & FCII will be very high. It will be interesting to see what you can do with a full fledged version of the FC Series including scripted campaigns, career mode, new single missions and new avenues for MP to go along with the growing plane set and new maps. Thinking out loud here, but it seems you are going to have to separate the WWI and WWII damage models as soon as possible. This seems to be 'The core issue' holding FCI down at present. It is core  work that needs to be done to strengthen the foundation of FCI, II & III so that the game play mechanics deliver the potential of the vision now as the rest of the content is introduced. If new material is introduced and the core mechanics of what FCI delivered are still amiss, then FCII & FCIII will suffer from the missed opportunity to invest now and reap the rewards of customer satisfaction and enthusiasm later, not to mention the increased revenues.  Good Luck. I'm all in as you can see.;)

S!Blade<><

Oh and I forgot, nice choice on the Tripe!

ywhZPac.png

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Upvote 2

Ordered!

So I did the maths, there are a total of 38 aircraft in RoF if you include the ILYA Muromets pack. With FC1 and FC2, we'll have a total of 21 aircraft from RoF + 2 engine mod. variants of RoF aircraft. So for your intention of bringing RoF to IL-2, I will congratulate the progress and dedication; we'll be halfway there with the development of these aircraft.

BY THE WAY; is there any intention of further developing the ILYA Muromets content? It would be interesting to see some other Russian designs and a re-imagined Eastern Front map. I always thought the Tarnopol map was very pretty, but nobody was flying on it in MP by the time I was around.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280067427595714562/788587324698394664/DCE3E3E0F3D883580475AC7B0ECDB0C253723527.png

"Also, I know some of you would love to see a Zeppelin in the Flying Circus series. Me too! But if it were added, it would likely be an AI machine only. However, such a craft would be a great target and add some fun, new gameplay. Developing even an AI Zeppelin is a big job and would require development of the physics and systems for lighter than air vehicles. It’s on my long-term desires list and if I can find a pathway to make them I will. I’ve long wanted this, but it’s harder than it looks to have a truly proper airship in our engine even as AI".

I had a rush of excitement when I read this! The thought of even having a slim chance of seeing a Zeppelin airship in Il2 someday, even as AI only, makes me so happy. 😄

All the German fighters are from 1918, the Fokker DVIII only saw limited service in the last few months. Yet the Spad 7 and Sopwith Tripe are 1917 planes. There aren't any German fighters from 1917. Any new German planes always welcome Pfalz DXII and Fokker, only 2 German fighters?

Edited by kestrel444falcon505
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, kestrel444falcon505 said:

All the German fighters are from 1918, the Fokker DVIII only saw limited service in the last few months. Yet the Spad 7 and Sopwith Tripe are 1917 planes. There aren't any German fighter from 1917. Any new German planes always welcome Pfalz DXII and Fokker, only 2 German fighters?

FC1 already has the Albatross D.Va and the Pfalz D.III

FC3 will almost certainly have the Albatross D.III

What is missing for 1917? I suppose the LFG Roland D.II existed in numbers (~300). Any others?

A few Fokker D.III may have survived in home defence units (but those hardly count). The same goes for the 26 Hansa-Brandenburg CC flying boat fighters in German service. To get any other numerous Central Powers aircraft one really would have to go to Austria-Hungary... the Aviatik D.I entered service in 1917 and a total of 700 would be produced.

So I'm not sure what you are complaining about? If you are asking for a Roland D.II or an Aviatik D.I ...I'll join your dream. Otherwise, I'd recommend simply picking up a copy of FC1.

• Thanks 1

As for the Ilya Muromets... it gets bashed by most people but I think it's because it's defense was neutered. Give it the option to have ALL of the historical guns (and allow full traverse) - "positions for up to nine machine guns were added for self-defense in various locations, including the extreme tail, German Fighter Pilots often were reluctant to attack Ilya Muromets in the air due to their defensive firepower including the unique tail gun position  - ... well, I'd probably Pood my self and buy it 😆.  As I recall, only one out of 83 built were lost in combat.

5 hours ago, US103_Hunter said:

Pre-Ordered! can't wait to get the SPAD 180 back!

You guys are all a bunch of SPADDICTS... there's a 12 step program for that... "God, grant me the serenity..."  😆

Edited by JG1_Vonrd
11 hours ago, Wolfpack345 said:

Did you see the latest developer diary by chance? Those changes apply to all of the maps.

Not before time, but I can't say I'm entirely convinced by the demo   I'll reserve judgement until the update allows it to be tested with WW1 types.

1 hour ago, kestrel444falcon505 said:

All the German fighters are from 1918, the Fokker DVIII only saw limited service in the last few months. Yet the Spad 7 and Sopwith Tripe are 1917 planes. There aren't any German fighter from 1917. Any new German planes always welcome Pfalz DXII and Fokker, only 2 German fighters?

Spad 7s were in frontline service all the way to the end of the war. 

• Upvote 4