Hello Pat,

do you think it would be possible to open the topic of skins again? As I understand it, PWCG only assigns skins to individual aircraft according to certain criteria.The others receive a generic skin. Would it be a big hassle to make it possible to assign skins to all aircraft. Especially since the Luftwaffe in particular had a strict numbering system. With all the attention to detail, it is annoying to come across e.g. yellow 4 several times. I think only with PWCG would something like this be possible, as the developers don't seem to put much emphasis on it.

Thank you.

Skin assignment is already enough of a PITA.  I get that it's not perfect by any means but the combination of having to use what's there, limitations in the game like inability to apply decals, dates of usage, etc.  I do not see myself taking on this task.  Sorry.

It was not my intention to cause a lot of work. It was the idea to make something like a skin management, in which the user can assign his own skins, as it is already possible for the own squadron. But this is really only a marginal problem (you have to be very close to identify a skin). Thanks for the answer anyway.

• 1 month later...

Having read the above I recalled the tool-tip that comes up on the plane photo on the pilot's desktop, "assign skin to this pilot". Unfortunately clicking on the pick does nothing. It would be nice to be able to assign skins at least to the pilots in one's own staffel. Can it be fixed? :)

Edit. Or is it an SP-only (not co-op) feature?

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
1 hour ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

Having read the above I recalled the tool-tip that comes up on the plane photo on the pilot's desktop, "assign skin to this pilot". Unfortunately clicking on the pick does nothing. It would be nice to be able to assign skins at least to the pilots in one's own staffel. Can it be fixed? :)

Edit. Or is it an SP-only (not co-op) feature?

You assign skins to your pilot and squadron mates through the skin management page.  I'll take a look at that tool tip.  It should not be there.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

You assign skins to your pilot and squadron mates through the skin management page.  I'll take a look at that tool tip.  It should not be there.

Done, pukka! Cheers Pat. :)

@JG51-Hetzer so as not to muck up the other thread...

The point I was trying to make is that the game's seasonal default skins are not available. For example in my Hurricane campaign, BoM Dec 1941, not a single airplane (friend or enemy) sports the winter camouflage. The other Hurricanes are always either the game's default Soviet green and brown, or the Early RAF green and brown. That's without assigning a specific skin in my regiment.

1648050535_PWCGHurricanecamo.thumb.jpg.4eac790cd82bfec696d8cc30621dbb12.jpg

I have not downloaded/imported any Hurricane skins. Checking the box for Squadron, does nothing. Checking the box for Loose does nothing.

56203270_PWCGskinassignment02.thumb.jpg.5c7ad208e6943e79663010f9e5c96eec.jpg

Checking the box for Non Squadron shows three generic skins (two are Soviet, one is RAF) that are apparently in game skin options included with the sim.

312642183_PWCGskinassignment03.thumb.jpg.3e40d961484b29414615c021ebedf118.jpg

So if you can help a brother out, and tell me how I can get winter camouflage on other airplanes, I would be much obliged.

Edited by busdriver
8 hours ago, busdriver said:

So if you can help a brother out, and tell me how I can get winter camouflage on other airplanes, I would be much obliged.

I have barely a clue how the game assigns skins to the AI. I see soviet planes in their default summer skins, including some Hurris in RAF markings and other planes in white, so I think the game randomizes from its internal skin folders.
I think it's a superb feature of Pat's generator that it's possible to fully decorate ones own unit in custom skins though. :)

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
9 hours ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

I have barely a clue how the game assigns skins to the AI. I see soviet planes in their default summer skins, including some Hurris in RAF markings and other planes in white, so I think the game randomizes from its internal skin folders.
I think it's a superb feature of Pat's generator that it's possible to fully decorate ones own unit in custom skins though. :)

I do not assign winter skins to every squadron.  My understanding is that not every unit and every plane used them.  British skins on Russian planes probably means something wrong with configuration.

51 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I do not assign winter skins to every squadron.  My understanding is that not every unit and every plane used them.  British skins on Russian planes probably means something wrong with configuration.

We put it down to the rush of getting them off the ships and into action. I have a very vague and old memory I read something to that effect.