LukeFF

CH controllers and combination key inputs

In order for BOS and ROF to see key combinations when using the CH Control Manager software, you have to input a delay so that the game has time to recognize both key commands. I have found that the best way to do this in both titles is to use the CHARDLY (which stands for Character Delay) feature. With the character rate set to the default of 100, input a CHARDLY command between the two keys, such as this example:

HOLD LSHF CHARDLY f

The HOLD command tells the controller software to "hold down" the left shift key while it inputs the f key, while simultaneously the CHARDLY command tells the CH software to "wait a moment" before it executes the f command. The delay is negligible, but it's this delay that will keep, in our example, BOS from just seeing the f key and not Left Shift + F. 

• Upvote 2

Ah, this is very handy info - thanks, Luke! 

My workaround with those kinds of keystroke combos had been to record them from within the CH Control Manager software.  Now I understand better why it can be so devilishly difficult to get BoS to recognize some of my key combos, and how to address it.

Charlo

Sure thing! :) Yeah, I had this sort of problem back when I first started playing ROF - I couldn't figure out why my blip switch command was shutting the engine off entirely instead of just blipping it. All was good once I integrated that command delay.

Edited by LukeFF

Thanks a bunch, Luke, as Charlo says you get a better sense of control over what you're doing with CM using CHARDLY than the kind of poke and hope approach of recording keystrokes, which for sure introduces delays if there's enough ketstrokes in the sequence.

Gentlemen,  I am happy to discover CH users here that understand the CH programming software, because I don't.  On behalf of we programming numbskulls who haven't a clue about this, would you consider posting your profiles on the CH website for others to download and use?  Someone's generosity in this matter enabled me to enjoy IL-2 and all its variations for years, and I hope to do so with this version.  All I know how to do is the "record keystrokes" function, and am lost when it gets to the ministick and axes and modes and direct input and..... 

Gentlemen,  I am happy to discover CH users here that understand the CH programming software, because I don't.  On behalf of we programming numbskulls who haven't a clue about this, would you consider posting your profiles on the CH website for others to download and use?  Someone's generosity in this matter enabled me to enjoy IL-2 and all its variations for years, and I hope to do so with this version.  All I know how to do is the "record keystrokes" function, and am lost when it gets to the ministick and axes and modes and direct input and..... 

I don't visit the CH website much anymore, so I'll post my BoS profile here. It includes the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Throttle Quad.

IL2_BOS.zip

I'm a little behind on BoS lately, and Luke's profile is probably better - but attached is my BoS profile that I modified from Kevin Watts' profile.  I probably got that from the CH Hangar.

I should add that in CH Control Manager I've set the Soviet wheel brakes to right rudder pedal's toe brake (so it is the same as German right wheel brakes, which is a period).  This also means that my German right toe brake will brake both toe brakes.  I intend that fix this in the future, but I taxi so little that it hasn't been a problem.  Also, my map "m" key is currently mapped to HUD "h" so I can get a quick glance at where other aircraft are if I lose them completely.

In BoS I set my Airbrakes to d, set Engines cowl shutters control to same axis as Water radiators shutters control, and set Pitch trim up to RSht Cursor Down, Pitch trim down to RSht Cursor Up. 

I no longer use my MFP, which I have essentially replaced with a Throttle Quadrant.  I did that because I anticipate in a year or so I'll be flying with the CV1 Oculus Rift, so am weaning myself off of having to see buttons. 

That said, I used CMPrint to create the images of my maps.  I still need those as reminders of my mappings, and I post them next to my monitor.

Charlo_IL2_BOS.zip

That said, I used CMPrint to create the images of my maps. 

That is a great little utility. I just wish CH would update it so that text from different buttons wouldn't overlap each other or that text would run off the screen, like on this shot:

post-549-0-98834000-1407739440_thumb.jpg

Actually, you had better success than I did at printing my Throttle Quadrant's controls.  For some reason my TQ will not print with CMPrint, so I grabbed a blank image of the TQ from somewhere and used Photoshop to add in my labels.  

Greetings All,

Speaking of throttle contros, I have a Pro Throttle USB control and it works backwards.  For example to throttle up, I have to pull back and to throttle down, I have to push forward.  I tried inverting it but with no luck. Does anyone else have this problem?  My apalogies if I have posted this subject in the wrong place.  Best Regards, Sora

Thanks Luke! The problem is solved now :)

Good to hear! :)

Greetings All,

Speaking of throttle contros, I have a Pro Throttle USB control and it works backwards.  For example to throttle up, I have to pull back and to throttle down, I have to push forward.  I tried inverting it but with no luck. Does anyone else have this problem?  My apalogies if I have posted this subject in the wrong place.  Best Regards, Sora

Are you using the Control Manager software? If so, make sure the throttle axis isn't inverted there.

Thank you for your quick response LukeFF, unfortunatly my CH Control Manager is dailed right.  My other games like, IL-2 1946, Rise Of Flight, DCSA-10C are working the way it should.  I think this is a real brain buster for me.  Anymore suggestions will be greatly apreciated. Best Regards

SORA... It sounds like you just have your Throttle Axis reversed. If it's positive make it negative or vice versa. You can do this easily in the CH Control Setup Manager.... OOPS! Just saw that LukeFF answered with the same advice. Still I'd bet that it is a throttle axis issue at some point in the control path. In the original IL2, you could make a quick flip-flop in the Controls section of the game by highlighting 'Throttle Axis' and moving the throttle back and forth. Not sure if that will work in BOS. Haven't looked for it.

Edited by Buff1

SORA, just checked and you can try this... Ok, in BOS, go to CONTROLS and find ENGINE THROTTLE CONTROL. You should be able to adjust the throttle axis there. Just take note of what it is before you change it and reverse it.

Thanks for the info Buff1 and I tried to invert my throttle in BOS with no joy.  I even went to my CH Control Manager and checked the reverse box also no joy.  But I'll keep trying and if anyone else has an idea, I'd really apreciate it.  Best Regards

Good News Gents,

Had to reinstall the flight sim and guess what?  You got it, now it works properly.  I guess the reinstall on the latest blog did the trick, a blessing in disguise. 

Happy Hunting All. 

Best Regards

Back from the dead...

I have a throttle quadrant which I just love, but am wondering how to map a shift key to essentially double the buttons in CH manager. I'd like to use one of the throttles and use the behind detent area as the shift (I only really use 5 of the throttles, so I want to use the sixth in the all the way back position). I have a MSFF2 stick, so of course it won't recognize that. I have actually two throttle quadrants, but it won't run both as it exceeds the 8 joystick axis so that's out.

Any ideas on how to get the thing to act as a shift key? So far the things I am trying aren't panning out. Or any other way of getting where I need to go. I am using VR, so using the quadrant by braille is my best approach... just need to figure out how to make a SHIFT key work.

Use CH manager and set this axis 'detent" area - or any other area of axis,  to press L or RShift key - this axis will work as ON-OFF switch.

If are not used to CH Manager can use Joy2Key*, very easy to set functions - and zero collateral effect for Windows. CH Manager may give headache in Windows10/64A.

* Or using Joystick Gremlin program "shift" for throttle and joystick  - this software is not restricted by brand like Manager.

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks Sokol. just jogged my memory - RIGHT shift, not LEFT. Read somewhere where Left Shift doesn't work sometimes. I'll try it again, and if that doesn't work, then maybe Joy2Key or Joystick Gremlin is the way to go. I tried it with LEFT shift and it didn't function at all. I believe you have to set it in CH manager as a SHIFT key designator, then program it in game as a keyboard Shift so the game recognizes it. If I can't get it to work, the other two programs you mentioned are probably the trick. I just have pedals and the quadrant already set up, so wanted to use CH manager. I wish the game could use more than 8 axis so I could just hook up both my quadrants 😄

Nope, L SHIFT instead of right. Got it working with Joy2Key just setting a button on my MSFF2 for shift. Works awesome. Thanks for pointing me the way.

Hello,

Just to clarify this. If you want to double your button with CH Product, you have to assign the 'shift' attribute to one of your hotas' button via the control manager. So the same button can send keys in normal mode and in shifted mode (mode active when your shift button is pressed).

Have fun

The key is the "control manager". I use a non CH stick, so it won't work. Joy2Key is working flawlessly. Set a button to "shift", then use everything else in the CH manager. Doubles up just fine. My original issue was trying to find something that would simulate a SHIFT command that would work in CH manager with a non CH stick.

Edited by 1./JG54_Schneemann

I believe that with Joystick Gremlin can set a "shift" for all controllers.

Edited by Sokol1

On 6/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, 1./JG54_Schneemann said:

I have actually two throttle quadrants, but it won't run both as it exceeds the 8 joystick axis so that's out.

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use both throttle quadrants as long as you don't combine controllers into a single one for your ch map.  Unless I am playing an older game that requires a single controller, that is usually how I set up my maps.  Each device can use up to 8 axis.

ch controls.PNG

Edited by Boojum

I think its a coding thing in the game. 8 axis and something like 64 buttons. Either way it spazzes out with both hooked up in IL2, as it sees 12 axis.

I know that this is an older thread, but I want to give my appreciation to all the CH owners upthread who posted information to help the rest of us.  I particularly want to thank @LukeFF, whose advice to add CHARDLY when creating macros for combination keypresses fixed a vexing problem for me.  I was glad to find the info here, since CH Hangar shut down a while ago.

For example, I had a macro for Auto-Mixture Control as "LSHF m", which caused the mission map to toggle instead because the Control Manager software does not treat "LSHF" or "RSHF" as modal in the same way that it treats plain "SHF", "ALT", and "CTL".  Changing LSHF to "HOLD LSHF" made it better, but I was still seeing the mission map toggle until I changed the macro to "HOLD LSHF CHARDLY m".

Thanks also to Luke and to @Charlo for posting their Control Manager profiles.  It's always interesting to see how other people set things up.

As I mentioned in the New Players thread, I'm using kit I bought about 15 years ago: CH FighterStick, Throttle, and pedals, as well as a TrackIR 3.  I used this setup for IL-2/1946 (and MS flight sim) before it got all locked away when I moved house.  I few years ago I brought out the stick & throttle to use for Elite Dangerous.

I use the CH Control Manager software to map the three CH pieces into a single 7-axis device, although today I learned that neither of the toe brake axes seems to have survived storage (they don't respond to calibration).  Everything else is still working great.

In any event, thanks again for the help.  Now that I (mostly) have my controls set up, it's time to learn how to fly again.