SimShaker woes and solutions.

Hi Andre. Sorry to have to post this here but as you've made it impossible to contact you via your website I have little choice. Your software is not fit for purpose, so I'd like a refund please. I'm not prepared to pay you an additional 900 rubles for help to try and get your broken program running. Apart from spamming my screen with approx 30 error boxes whenever I change a parameter, it constantly crashes. When it's not crashing it more often than not fails to output a signal to my buttkicker, instead putting it to my sub-woofer. I've tried running it simply in sound mode but even with the sliders maxed to the top it does not put out a single vibration while in the cockpit. It does pick up and vibrate sound from the menu background music though. The Test button works when it feels like it, no apparent rhyme or reason when.

TIA.

Edited by J3Hetzer
21 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Sounds like you don't have it hooked up to a secondary sound card...  but don't take my word for it, I am not good at these sorts of things.

Shame you are struggling though, after I got it all running the experience is amazing.

I hooked it up to a USB DAC box and while it ran ok in 2D mode there's nothing in VR. Then with the x30 error boxes that each have to be clicked "OK" to shut them, every single time I change one parameter, then the constant crashing, not good enough. I'm back to running the BK directly off the sound-card with a Y-splitter cable and I can't say it feels any worse than when it (supposedly) ran through the DAC box using Simshaker. Total waste of money in my opinion, even if it didn't have all the issues. The insult to injury was going to his website for help and finding him charging 900 rubles for 'support'. Class act.

Never used a DAC box (digital to analog converter) before, but perhaps it may not be doing the same thing that a dedicated USB sound card would do in accepting the dedicated telemetry vibration signals from IL-2 and routing them to your Buttkicker.  Might be worth trying a cheap ($10 to $15) dedicated USB sound module to drive your transducer before giving up on SimShaker.

7 hours ago, Bob100 said:

Never used a DAC box (digital to analog converter) before, but perhaps it may not be doing the same thing that a dedicated USB sound card would do in accepting the dedicated telemetry vibration signals from IL-2 and routing them to your Buttkicker.  Might be worth trying a cheap ($10 to $15) dedicated USB sound module to drive your transducer before giving up on SimShaker.

I checked the three Wav folders previously and they came up empty. Checked them again just now and after about 15 seconds of spinney-circle each one populated with a bunch of Wavs. "Aha!" I thought, maybe this was the problem. Ran the program, got the same error boxes.

"Access to the path C:\Users\***\Documents\SimShaker-WingsFXs\Audio\Base\1\g_force_pos_I.wav. is denied"

I get one of those for each Wav file in the folder.

So no, I don't think it's a sound-card issue, something in the program is busted.

The USB DAC box is available in the SimShaker drop-down menu but doesn't respond to the test button. Ok, so needs a "dedicated sound card", got just the jobby, a very high-end Creative XB xFi Titanium. I've connected it to the Buttkicker over two coaxials, selected it in the SimShaker dropdown menu, it gives this message:

"9:54:36.342 NaudioPlaybackEngine: could not initialize playback device. Audio subsystem is temporarily disabled. Exception from HRESULT: 0x88890008"

That's after the 30 error messages re the Wav folder.

x-fi-titanium-hd-a.jpg

1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

So no, I don't think it's a sound-card issue, something in the program is busted.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - but I don't think the program is busted. Does the DAC feed an amplifier before going to the Buttkicker? I've used both a DAC and my internal soundcard to feed my amplifier for my bass transducers and both worked without issue using Andre's software. I've also used it both in VR and in 2D mode with TrackIR.   It's been working great for me since day one! It's an amazing experience and works phenomenally with VR to really kick up the immersion. 

Also, Andre is very easy to get ahold of via email and responds within a day or two to inquiries. 

I've tested the xFi in its software and can hear & feel the test-tone outputting into the buttkicker transducer, so I know the card is working fine in Win10Pro.

4 minutes ago, =420=Syphen said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles - but I don't think the program is busted. Does the DAC feed an amplifier before going to the Buttkicker? I've used both a DAC and my internal soundcard to feed my amplifier for my bass transducers and both worked without issue using Andre's software. I've also used it both in VR and in 2D mode with TrackIR.   It's been working great for me since day one! It's an amazing experience and works phenomenally with VR to really kick up the immersion. 

Also, Andre is very easy to get ahold of via email and responds within a day or two to inquiries. 

I know he reads this forum, he was replying to other guys while ignoring my original post (not this thread).

Oh lol. While hunting for solutions I came across a 'separate' piece of software, called 'SimShaker for Aviators', which includes functions for MSFS2020. I figured I'd give that a go. Oh boy. Fired it up, somehow managed to get it past the multiple NetFrame error boxes (multiple fire-ups), got it to see a bunch of DCS stuff, nada under the MSFS drop-down. Tried having MSFS running first, nada. I selected the buttkicker option, that fired up a picture of a shaker seat. Lol, wtf.

It seems to be free, so no real foul. I think it's the same guy who writes the other version, for which Andre is charging the £22. In which case, you hobbyist coders who don't really have a clue what you're doing, offer it free and then ask the minority for who it works for a donation, instead of charging a significant purchase price along with a refusal to give a refund when it doesn't work. And a refusal to give support. That's real douchebag behaviour.

Simshaker for Aviators is a different piece of software then Simshaker Wings.. Both support different simulators. 

All of the various versions of Simshaker are listed here and they specifically say WHICH simulators they support.

https://simshaker.com/software/general/

Sounds to me that this is an end-user problem with not fully understanding what is happening - and you're trying to throw the blame elsewhere.

If you want to use Basskicker or Bass transducers, you need to purchase the sound module seperate. Simshaker Wings needs you to purchase the basskicker/bass shaker module as well. Otherwise both pieces of software are only compatible with the Jetseat. 

Just now, =420=Syphen said:

Simshaker for Aviators is a different piece of software then Simshaker Wings.. Both support different simulators. 

All of the various versions of Simshaker are listed here and they specifically say WHICH simulators they support.

https://simshaker.com/software/general/

Sounds to me that this is an end-user problem with not fully understanding what is happening - and you're trying to throw the blame elsewhere.

If you want to use Basskicker or Bass transducers, you need to purchase the sound module seperate. Simshaker Wings needs you to purchase the basskicker/bass shaker module as well. Otherwise both pieces of software are only compatible with the Jetseat. 

You're wrong. The SimShaker Wings has inputs in its panel for the Buttkicker. It even says it's compatible with Buttkicker on the website. You need the extra module if you want to run more than TWO transducers.

I also have not a clue how it's an "end user" problem when running the program fires up approx 30 error windows every single time I change a parameter (and right off the bat when I start it up). What did I do wrong, or am doing wrong, apart from installing it and then running it? I've been through all the tabs, read the website, there is nothing about configuring something to stop those errors. I've modified IL2's config file exactly as shown (UDP telemetry). What else is there for this "end user" to do 'correctly'?

The program is a hobbyist CF.

From the website you linked:

"SimShaker Wings

Provides immersing event-driven tactile force feedback via vibrating pad and bass-shakers

Supported Devices:

Gametrix JetSeat

SimShaker JetPad

Realteus ForceFeel (option)

bass-shakers

Supported Games:

Aerofly FS2

Condor 2

Falcon BMS

IL-2 Great Battles

War Thunder"

See where it says "bass shakers"?

Edited by J3Hetzer
11 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

I don't know if it helps, but I remembered this exchange a few days ago with @SCG_Fenris_Wolf, is it possible this is still creating issues for you here?

No, I had no issues with my hardware. I ran Prime95 for over an hour without a single glitch. I've not had anymore bluescreens either, though the WMR software is still a triple-A clusterfk that makes firing up IL2 in VR a crap-shoot. Other games I play, zero issues.

The SimShaker software is simply badly coded and I see its facebook page hasn't been updated since June. I suspect the new version of windows 10 might have something to do with it but if Andre has no intention to update SimShaker he needs to stop charging people money for it, it amounts to fraud.

NB: If I run it in autostart it crashes immediately on IL2 being launched. It's broken, badly, and I'm now preparing a youtube video showing the entire thing in its glory.

Edited by J3Hetzer

I can not help you , but when I got mine 1/2 year ago maybe,  i had allso problem in the beginning ...I was doing everything I could think off - sound / system oa and then suddenly it was working ...... If I remember right there were no connection between software and GB 

But as said , suddenly it was working and I don't know what I was doin/ fixed 

I had a response from Andre, he said the error boxes were caused by anti-virus. They were. With Avast switched off the whole thing worked, via the USB DAC box. It still works now with the AV switched back on (go figure, maybe Avast had a chance to look it over while it was running and decided it was ok, some kind of weird AI shit). For a while there I thought I was away, albeit cursing that a program being sold in the 20s trips and breaks its legs over one of the most popular AV programs in existence.

Edited by J3Hetzer
Moronic failure to tinker.

so srry about your experience..

just installed everything on my second rig...  all  smooth and good..

also, it is probably well known, no need for second sound card if u have a monitor w sound output and running DP cable..

2 hours ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

so srry about your experience..

just installed everything on my second rig...  all  smooth and good..

I also have had a  very good experience running 2 Buttkickers and the Jetseat with SimShaker.  SS sliders combined with the Buttkicker Amp Volume adjustment allowed me to get the settings feeling right and, honestly, I wouldn't want to fly without it in VR because of how much it adds to the "being there" in the cockpit.

Now that its working, I would suggest to OP to keep tweaking the settings, but I guess this may be one of those YMMV situations.  For me, it was definitely worth the purchase, and I am sorry it is causing frustration here (I have been there with plenty of the black magic that goes on under the hood in other situations).  Good luck!

Edited by Varibraun

~S~J3Hetzer

I usually wouldn't jump in here....But I love Andre's product (I'm running transducers, subwoofer, multi channel, Mod'ed waves...Im an old audio guy and this thing is fun)

Hetzer if your running the game audio out? how is SimShaker in the mix? SimShaker uses the telemetry "output" of the game in to the BK'er.

Correct me if Im wrong..in SS.there is no "audio mix" for BK'ers/transducers only "jet seat"

And as far as Audio goes IMO this games audio mix for this sort of thing "is not good" . (frequency response/effect is a monotonous ambient mix)

Hope you get it working... also with the games audio mix,  SimShaker gives a lot of  "intel" through the telemetry data that the audio doesn't! Will not fly without it!!!

But the games telemetry data also has its limitations. One of note is engine rpm.

Hope somehow this helps

Merry Christmas

Moxy

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, II./JG1_Schulte said:

~S~J3Hetzer

I usually wouldn't jump in here....But I love Andre's product (I'm running transducers, subwoofer, multi channel, Mod'ed waves...Im an old audio guy and this thing is fun)

Hetzer if your running the game audio out? how is SimShaker in the mix? SimShaker uses the telemetry "output" of the game in to the BK'er.

Correct me if Im wrong..in SS.there is no "audio mix" for BK'ers/transducers only "jet seat"

And as far as Audio goes IMO this games audio mix for this sort of thing "is not good" . (frequency response/effect is a monotonous ambient mix)

Hope you get it working... also with the games audio mix,  SimShaker gives a lot of  "intel" through the telemetry data that the audio doesn't! Will not fly without it!!!

But the games telemetry data also has its limitations. One of note is engine rpm.

Hope somehow this helps

Merry Christmas

Moxy

I have game sound from the onboard Realtek, SS output from USB to a DAC box. The box outputs to the buttkicker amp over a pair of coaxial cables.

I assumed (stupidly I guess) that the SSW's Wav files would provide a pure and solid source for the vibration effects. I didn't anticipate that they would either be as poor (engine rpm) or non-existent (flaps, guns, ground-rumble etc) as the game's sound output. Maybe a Jetseat is the magic bullet and a buttkicker alone not sufficient. Whatever, it was an expensive waste of time and money but moving on.

Thanks guys. :)

Time to fall on my sword I think.

It occurred to me to dial down the engine vibes on the slider (to 20%) and turn up the buttkicker's volume to compensate. Unpaused the 109, pulled the trigger, HF! Dropped flaps and gear, HF!

I'm going to mitigate my incompetence with the struggle caused to get it to run at all, due to the absurd anti-virus issue that should never have been an issue. The hidden extra charge for buttkicker support didn't help matters either. But, what now appears to be very functional vibrations, for £30, I'm no longer pissed off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got it working! Sounds like the output of SS was "clipping out" , your BK'er amp.

Remember Andre has no control of  the games telemetry output! Some of the things the game "outputs"

are great, and somethings not so great. But the combination of SS and game audio(headphones)

pretty darn savvy.

Good luck

Moxy

• Like 1

There does seem to be some kind of issue with IL2's engine telemetry/module, it fades in and out just like direct-sound vibration does. When it works it works beautifully but obviously that's with the buttkicker volume set so the red clipping-light barely flickers. With direct sound that's a bugger to set because it can both spike and completely vanish; with SSW it never spikes but it does occasionally completely vanish and then won't come back very well unless I raise the volume, at which point it comes back with bad clipping. Maybe the devs could take a look at that bit. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:02 AM, JG51-Hetzer said:

9:54:36.342 NaudioPlaybackEngine: could not initialize playback device. Audio subsystem is temporarily disabled. Exception from HRESULT: 0x88890008"

same here I have tried with SoundBlaster RX and integrated Realtek  (ALC 1220chipset) , both gives me red message like above. The same in SimShaker Wheels.

Cant mange to get 4 ch. basshakers working. Only "stereo 2ch." works ok. Tried different asio software nothing helps in my system...

Anyone here is using 4 or 5 channels for shakers?

Edited by TWHYata_PL

~S~ Gents

I am using 6ch's, but currently using only 3 transducers. And have reworked the waves to my set up to expand. (more transducers on the way)

My system is "solid" and stable lol at least on the SS stuf lol.

Guys this may help on getting set up to work right.

Audio IE game sounds to hear! Fmod (the sound engine) "like's" to be cranked up (in-game volume 100%, windows volume down) "things" can drop out at Fmod lower volume

This is the general opposite of how you inter mix audio systems. But my games 100% audio into the soundcard/headphones is clean

SimShaker on my system,  I run just like a "mixing board" to amps....low volumes on the mix (whatever is required) but volume "opened up" on my amps

Clean signal in, and clean out.

But I have to reiterate something here lol Im not shaking down the house!  All of my shaking is subtle, for "feel" and intel!

For myself the "intel" that SimShaker provides, over the games audio is.

"Pulling"  flaps, gear lock, taxing, and "off" of the ball. G-forces kinda of falls into "pulling"

The Game's audio for myself is really lacking of "intel" SimShaker fills a good portion of the void!

Hope this helps for something

Mox

• Upvote 1