LA 5 series 8 and FN cartridge counter

2 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

I want to say only the German planes have the ammo counters.

Almost...

of the planes we currently have available the only allied one that has an ammo counter is the Yak-9T and even then it's only for the cannon and even then is optional.

Anyhow it's an interesting observation and one that I would like to understand better. Why did the Germans see an ammo counter as an almost essential feature? After all it's extra weight, cost and maintenance time that the opposing forces did well enough without.

The amount of ammo you have can be easily measured in seconds or a number of bursts at x seconds, so it's never been something I personally felt I missed when it's  not available.

Edited by Pict
1 hour ago, adler_1 said:

so how many bursts of how many seconds empties the belts ?

Don't fixate on the exact numbers. After some experience you start to get a very good feeling of how much ammo is left after certain amount of firing. This intuition is surprisingly accurate, but it comes with time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, adler_1 said:

Hmm so according to the plane stats both LA's have 170 rounds for both guns and 800 rounds per minute.

Thats 85 rounds per gun in total and divided through 800 rpm we get a bit more than 0.1 min of firing time, which is a bit longer than 6 seconds I'd say.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, adler_1 said:

@mincer explains what I meant better than I could repeat...

2 hours ago, mincer said:

Don't fixate on the exact numbers. After some experience you start to get a very good feeling of how much ammo is left after certain amount of firing. This intuition is surprisingly accurate, but it comes with time.

...after that the exact number depends on several variables. 

1. The weapons fitted

2. The ammo loaded

3. The pilot

A P-40E for example can have 4x50cal or 6x50cal with an option for extra ammo for both. This gives different overall firing times for each combination and that's just one aircraft.

Different pilots use different "bursts".

An accurate idea of the firing time for any aircraft/weapon/ammo combo can be assessed by recording a track while firing all the available ammo, then noting the track times.

You can then do the same by watching tracks of yourself (or others) firing bursts.

I've never bothered with finding an exact or close to exact number as I'm not ever going to fire consistent bursts in a fight. That's where your brain takes over and the intuition that @mincer mentioned above is applied.

2 hours ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

Hmm so according to the plane stats both LA's have 170 rounds for both guns and 800 rounds per minute.

Thats 85 rounds per gun in total and divided through 800 rpm we get a bit more than 0.1 min of firing time, which is a bit longer than 6 seconds I'd say.

It's 340 rounds total / 170 rounds per gun.

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know why the Bf109 K-4 has ammo counters for both MG131 guns, but not one for the MK108, unlike the G-14 and G-6?  I feel like even if they were short on supplies, they would have used one of the MG131 counters for the MK108