Reverb G2 Mod to increase FOV

It is amazing that the second version of a well sold G1 is still needing some mods to get an extra FOV.

It is incredible that HP engineers left on the table a portion of the FOV.

HP is a large company with many resources. Do they know what is ergonomy?.

How a guy can find improvements in FOV vs. a ton of well paid engineers?

I wonder if other foam covers different from the Samsung Odyssey can be used as well? for example the covers for Quest or Quest2 or VivePro? Something more breathdable than PU.

• Upvote 2

A configurable way to setup the G2 would have been nice. If you reduce the distance between lenses and eyes the headset becomes incompatible for wearing many glasses though, so it's understandable they built in a safety margin.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, enyak said:

A configurable way to setup the G2 would have been nice. If you reduce the distance between lenses and eyes the headset becomes incompatible for wearing many glasses though, so it's understandable they built in a safety margin.

To their credit, the existing face gasket just attaches via magnets and is a very simple design. I expect that they anticipated third parties to step in and provide alternatives. I'll likely get one whenever thinner gaskets become available.

I found an old android phone headset and took off its 'gasket'. As I found by just holding the headset to my face with the stock gasket off, it doesn't increase the horizontal FOV so much as it removes the obstructions down at 8 and 4 o'clock low. I don't feel it's worth the loss of comfort personally. Once I'm in action I don't consciously notice the added FOV but I do notice the reduction in comfort.

Any Oculus Rift CV-1 facial interface & foam replacement gasket set should work well on the Reverb as it's lens bucket is basically the same shape

and size.  I bought one for my CV-1 and looking at it here, my guess is that it should work perfectly.  They come with a separate rubber nose shroud as well.

Edited by Drum

I tried it, and it does increase the FOV considerably.

However, I don't like that it's sweatier than the original one. The skin cannot breath as much in this one. 

It's also way more difficult to dial in to the sweetspot. But once there, the clarity is great.

I'm considering to try the mod. However I fear that my head is not large enough. I have the horizontal straps almost in the smallest setting with the normal gasket. If I replace the gasket I fear I will not be able to tighten the strap enough so that the headset is very loose :(

I always thought I my head is on the bigger side, so I'm wondering if others have similar issues with this mod and if there's a good workaround (I'm thinking of adding some padding to the back of the strap).

On 12/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I tried it, and it does increase the FOV considerably.

However, I don't like that it's sweatier than the original one. The skin cannot breath as much in this one. 

It's also way more difficult to dial in to the sweetspot. But once there, the clarity is great.

Agree. I used the velour VRCovers gasket I purchased for my CV1 and it works well similar to the G2 material for comfort and dryness.  Agree on the extra effort to dial in the sweetspot.  Also being closer to the lenses, I am able to discern the screen door just little now.

11 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

There is also this more elegant solution (and expensive):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

Perhaps I will try.

thank you for finding this solution, @chiliwili69 !  

I was hoping someone would engineer a closer gasket and this is it!

in US I found a print service where it'll get built + shipping for a total of $20..  ( craftcloud3d.com )

I used to order parts from 3dhubs.com but they've implemented a minimum $60 order, which gets added to any work item below $60... very strange indeed..  anyway, I hope things are on the level in your country.

Edited by 69th_Didney_World

This gasket looks really well. I'd just want the same cloth as the Index/ReverbG2 have as a cushion. And the one on the G2 is fixed to the original gasket, you can't just take it off. The noseflaps are also important imho.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

Here in my city it is about 60€ because the printing services said they will use a dust polyamide 12 industrial printer from HP.

In a filament printer it should be much cheaper but the geometry will be not reproduced exactly.

For the cushion I was thinking to use something like that:

https://www.amazon.es/Almohadillas-Ciclismo-Bicicleta-Universal-Repuesto/dp/B07288C7DL

https://www.amazon.es/Replacement-Universal-Specialized-Schwinn-HFK/dp/B004GBN916

https://www.amazon.es/Himetsuya-Almohadillas-Revestimiento-anticolisión-Motocicleta/dp/B08N4SG4GG/

or generic VR covers:

https://www.amazon.es/HEMOBLLO-Cubierta-Reemplazo-Paquete-Experiencia/dp/B07T886RQK/

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B083YVLC98/

I'm gonna 3d print HP Reverb G2 remix "wide wings" based on face gasket v7 by jewcookie.

BTW HP have released the CAD designs of the headset, and the faceplate so soon there will be some third party products avaliable on the market.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Thanks 1

This is a video of Voodoo about this mod. I like his criticism to HP for not doing this from the begining as an accesory.

I just have printed the v9 (40€), Vive mask and magnets (4x3, and 4x7) and will try this afternoon, but there is a new v10.

16 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

This is a video of Voodoo about this mod. I like his criticism to HP for not doing this from the begining as an accesory.

I just have printed the v9 (40€), Vive mask and magnets (4x3, and 4x7) and will try this afternoon, but there is a new v10.

Theres a spanish guys who prints it and send it for 15€, I dont have any vrcover though

• Thanks 1

I have tried the 3D printed mod with the Vive foam. 

The mod is relatively simple once you get the 3Dprint, the magnets (4x4 N42 in my case), the velcro and the Vive foam (really cheap in amazon).

The only thing that require certain care is placing the magnets. I used a 4mm wood drill to refine the interior surface of the holes.

The 3D print is much less thin than the original, so it requires to be trated with more care.

Here some pictures:

124646180_3Dprintwithvelcro.thumb.jpg.154fc86119ba830d72170b38f84f3547.jpg

773545684_3DprintandVivegasket.thumb.jpg.5da6101949a560f5e2794736d3180106.jpg

comparison2.thumb.jpg.c02ce85a5f34ac8dda9702602457e8ac.jpg

Comparison.thumb.jpg.4b115b4e6fb26d901ad6d29ab7882ab4.jpg

magnets.thumb.jpg.172e87a8d0e25f6de6861de8445fa597.jpg

After playing it for 15 minutes I resoved to remove some of the foam in the lateral sides of the vive gasket so my face rest better in the front and there is no pressure in the side.

723046999_removefoam.thumb.jpg.d438c86ef84bad0c6a80776178132ed2.jpg

I have been playing for an hour and comparing the original gasket with the mod.

My conclusions are:

- The mod adds just only a little bit more of FOV. Not comparable to the Index FOV with the maximun FOV.

- The comfort is close to the original, except texture of the cloth (better than this syntethic leather)

- Finding the right position for the eyes is as easy as the original

- It can be removed as easy as the original.

- Being closer to the lenses do not improve the sweetspot problem. The clarity is only in the center area, but not from edge to edge. (regardeless of the SS% applied)

Depending on the shape of the face and eyes, there could be people who can see a better increase of the FOV. In my case, with this mod I am at the maximum FOV that the G2 can deliver. I have tried to push my head more, compressing the foam, and I started to see the square edges of the lenses.

If you want to know what extra FOV this mod could give you it is easy to simulate it. You only need to push hard the headset against your face to compressed the foam. The FOV visual you get then is what you will achieve with this mod.

Is it worth? I really don´t know. If I would keep the G2 (instead of Index) I will probably use it instead of the original. But it is only a few degrees of FOV more, a very subtle improvement.

For those of us who wear glasses or install prescription lens adapters, I rather doubt this mod is an option. See in these photos how little space there is after I installed my WIDMOvr prescription lens adapters into my G2 headset - just some food for thought.

g2withwidmolensadapters01.jpg

g2withwidmolensadapters02.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to ask but the video isn't working for me at present..so what's the name of this gizmo and can I order it ,maybe on Amazon? Thanks!

aagiphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Sorry to ask but the video isn't working for me at present..so what's the name of this gizmo and can I order it ,maybe on Amazon? Thanks!

aagiphy.gif

You need a 3d print to be done, there are many online companies that deliver them but it could be pricey.

Also you will need a face cushion and some velcro.

Posted (edited)

OK finally got my VR Cover and picked up some Velcro and applied this VR Cover mod to my Reverb G2.

Very easy and quick to do no problem there at all. 

I am quite pleased. First let me say I am not the best judge of FOV as I am half blind and see nothing right of center when looking ahead.

But I can tell it has increased slightly. I can see this mainly in my left periphery.

Appears another benefit from getting the eyes closer to the lens is increased clarity of the image. That is what I am impressed with.

It is quite comfortable, however I suspect long gaming sessions especially at warmer times of the year might get a little sweaty with the PU Leather or whatever it is made of. 

I used it about an hour for my first session. Also nice that you get two of these with the VR Cover Kit, so at least I have a spare if the first one starts to get cruddy over time.

Also nice to now have a little peep hole around the bottom center to look at my keyboard if needed.

So yes I am glad I did this mod. Will see how it does in longer sessions and also when the climate gets warmer. Thankfully I have air conditioning constantly blowing on me so that helps. I don't see me going back to the original faceplate, but I made sure to put the Velcro where it would not interfere should I decide to put the original back on at some point.

So as far as I am concerned , I give this mod a big:
:good:

Edit: Oh and I will also mention, I don't see a really small sweet-spot in my Reverb G2 at al, even with the original faceplate.  It seems pretty good to me, but again this is only judging by what I see in periphery to my left.

Now, back to flying baby!

:fly:

Edited by dburne