Did anyone get a RX6900XT?

I got up early and gave it a go. Almost got one. Made it as far as the "confirm order" button but couldn't get past that. After so many refreshes I either got none or 50+ of the bloody things....

Anyway, If you got one let us know how it pans out in IL-2

I tried and failed to get a 6800XT on launch day, order confirmed at 2:34, order cancelled / refunded 17:52 - gutted. I was lucky and scored a plain 6800 (Powercolor MBA) last week for MSRP money so that'll tie me over the next few months so didn't partake in the excitement today. I'm expecting extra supply to ease pricing, the 3080 Super / Ti's to come out to further weaken demand for the 6000s series and then a raft of normally Nvidia buyers to offload their 6000s too. Then I'll pick up an XT and throw a waterblock on it for 60C on the dollar compared to current pricing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, 40plus said:

I got up early and gave it a go. Almost got one. Made it as far as the "confirm order" button but couldn't get past that. 

This sounds just like my attempts to buy a PlayStation 5😱

• Upvote 1

Intel or someone in the tech game should make a card that's in the 2080 to 2080 Super class that's big, ugly, noisy, no frills, and sells for $399 and have a billion of them available. They'd probably sell every single one and crash the scalper market. It would be lovely. 

It is a freakin shame more vendors don't do something to try and prevent all the scalping that goes on.

Only reason I was able to get my 3090 FTW3 Ultra was because EVGA did just that for their direct sales.

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Intel or someone in the tech game should make a card that's in the 2080 to 2080 Super class that's big, ugly, noisy, no frills, and sells for $399 and have a billion of them available. They'd probably sell every single one and crash the scalper market. It would be lovely. 

I guess that was the plan with the recently announced 3060 Ti from NVIDIA. Now look at the amazon screenie below what happened to them. As long those new cards don´t really flood the market and become available in huge quantities, there will be those silly prices.:

image.thumb.png.e6f3085a74298bbb36ef299d2786c843.png

5 hours ago, 40plus said:

Did anyone get a RX6900XT?

Well I guess we have to wait for January/February and see if they will be available in quantities and the silly prices go down.

Edited by sevenless
19 minutes ago, dburne said:

It is a freakin shame more vendors don't do something to try and prevent all the scalping that goes on.

Only reason I was able to get my 3090 FTW3 Ultra was because EVGA did just that for their direct sales.

Insult to injury, Amazon no longer says “out of stock” , then when legit items are in stock allowing (in theory) purchase at MSRP. (As it was for weeks$ No, the processors are now always in stock and you can pick from a list of scalpers. No easy way to send Amazon a nasty note about it either.

12 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I guess that was the plan with the recently announced 3060 Ti from NVIDIA. Now look at the amazon screenie below what happened to them. As long those new cards don´t really flood the market and become available in huge quantities, there will be those silly prices.:

Well I guess we have to wait for January/February and see if they will be available in quantities and the silly prices go down.

There are no 3060ti cards on Amazon Canada, and all the other cards from the 2060 up all have insane prices, 200% or 300% of what they should be. The 2060 Super I bought last year for less than $700 Cdn. is listing now at over $1000US. (That's $1300Cdn.) 

I'm telling ya, there is criminality afoot. At some level this is organized. 

17 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'm telling ya, there is criminality afoot. At some level this is organized. 

I guess so too. By example look at the ASUS webstore below. No 30xx cards available at all. same with RTX 20xx series. No one can tell me that ASUS really is completely sold out for both 30 and 20 series cards at the same time. 

RTX 30 Serie | Grafikkarten | Komponenten | ASUS Onlineshop

LOL! And they announced another card (3080 Ti) which will NOT be available:

Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti [Specs, Performance, Release Date, Price] - YouTube

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

My 1080ti is doing just fine for now but I would love to upgrade in prep for the next VR headset.....I'd also love to get back to team red. Team green and I are currently having a fling, maybe an affair, but my heart of hearts belongs to ATI...I mean AMD.

13 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I guess so too. By example look at the ASUS webstore below. No 30xx cards available at all. same with RTX 20xx series. No one can tell me that ASUS really is completely sold out for both 30 and 20 series cards at the same time. 

RTX 30 Serie | Grafikkarten | Komponenten | ASUS Onlineshop

LOL! And they announced another card (3080 Ti) which will NOT be available:

Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti [Specs, Performance, Release Date, Price] - YouTube

The heads of the card companies should be grilled like Zuckerberg and the Twitter douche. I'll bet there would be some quality pregnant pauses and "Uhhhhhhh... I'll have to get back to you on that, Senator."

Collusion, corruption, and criminality. 

It's easy to say "why doesn't company X/Y/Z just do this or that, and all problems will be solved", when people keep forgetting that TSMC can only make so many wafers of satisfactory yield quality for everyone in the semiconductor business that wants these chips for whatever they are making - be they PlayStations, Cellphones, Tesla components, GPUs, etc. That, and it takes expensive production space to build these GPUs we all want at profitable margins. Until production capacity increases, there's always going to be extremely high demand and low overall availability.

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Collusion, corruption, and criminality. 

Nope, nope, and nope.

Edited by LukeFF

@LukeFF Actually turns out the scalpers are organized: 

Basically they've set up "get rich quick" schemes where people subscribe to their scalping service and provide both the cash and legwork to cot et the initial market. The people at the top are going to be taking in the profits but most of the people in the bottom are going to be left holding the very expensive bag when the bubble bursts.

And it will burst.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if violence comes out of it when the drones discover just how badly they will have gotten screwed. On the other hand, the organizers are doing it online, so they may well just disappear into the night when it's over. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Voyager said:

@LukeFFActually turns out the scalpers are organized

Oh, I have no doubt about that. It's just that I don't believe these scalpers are somehow in league with AMD and nVidia and making a conscious decision to screw over us video gamer types. It's no secret that nVidia, for example just sold a very large quantity of 30-series cards to crypto currency customers. Until evidence is shown otherwise, it's just hot air being blown by people who are frustrated that they can't buy the latest and greatest toys.

Like I said, I've been around the semiconductor business for a while and work with engineers and planners (daily) who have been around a lot longer than I have, and they'll to a person all tell you the same thing - it's overwhelming demand couple with limited supply. Now, couple these limited GPU releases with scalpers who can easily adapt their scripts to snap up these cards, and what do they think is going to happen? These semiconductor chips don't just grow on trees. I won't bore people with discussions about things like wafer yields, but it's a very true thing and plays a part in the low availability.

Edited by LukeFF
3 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep that’s why I’ve been with EVGA for years. They treat their customers well and build good cards. I’m on the wait list for an ultra xcs 3080. At least I know I’ll eventually get one. Fire and forget. They also have the step up program should I get a wild hair for a TI or whatever they call it. 

9 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

Yep that’s why I’ve been with EVGA for years. They treat their customers well and build good cards. I’m on the wait list for an ultra xcs 3080. At least I know I’ll eventually get one. Fire and forget. They also have the step up program should I get a wild hair for a TI or whatever they call it. 

That is my hope right now as well, but who knows how long it'll take for them to process all those requests. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still working their way through the first two weeks of waitlist requests they received.

11 hours ago, sevenless said:

You can order it...Use it for 28 days..send it back. It will be a good lesson for amazon.

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

There are only two ways to beat the scalpers.

Consumers quit buying from them.

Vendors quit supporting them with sales of product.

Three ways

With a rubber hose

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, BOO said:

ah...you mean capitalism

The want to claim low prices, but refuze to sell at low prices and sell to scalpers instead. 

This isn't capitalism. It's pure greed.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

And next time someone comes up with an idea that they created a new currency you can have it if you stuff your biggest room with GPUs, can people just give a friendly right hander instead of stuffing their buggest room with GPUs?

I know this shortage is not about mining but still. Just in case. 

EDIT: on second thought - even if this shortage is not about mining, probably today's scalpers got a great training in the art of their scalping during the mining times.

Edited by HunDread
14 hours ago, Voyager said:

@LukeFF Actually turns out the scalpers are organized: 

Basically they've set up "get rich quick" schemes where people subscribe to their scalping service and provide both the cash and legwork to cot et the initial market. The people at the top are going to be taking in the profits but most of the people in the bottom are going to be left holding the very expensive bag when the bubble bursts.

And it will burst.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if violence comes out of it when the drones discover just how badly they will have gotten screwed. On the other hand, the organizers are doing it online, so they may well just disappear into the night when it's over. 

This is just a garden variety pyramid scheme. If you get in early, you make money. If you don't, you make money for other people and they walk away laughing.

I remember something similar going around back when the original Xbox was being launched.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

Just checked around and found 3060ti at Amazon - $850.00, don't think so.

Amazon has some 2080ti cards... at $2800. And this card is supposed to be matched or beat by the supposed-to-be-$750 RTX3070 card which is (barely) available for $1500.

3060ti cards? There's one. For $1300.

Im very lucky - i have a 12 year old savvy enough to know what scalpers are doing. As a result, and even though he has saved a considerable proportion of the monies needed for a PS5 himself, hes resigned to no PS5 for christmas. I feel sorry for parents who's kids are not as easy going. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, BOO said:

Im very lucky - i have a 12 year old savvy enough to know what scalpers are doing. As a result, and even though he has saved a considerable proportion of the monies needed for a PS5 himself, hes resigned to no PS5 for christmas. I feel sorry for parents who's kids are not as easy going. 

There's going to be a lot of parents who don't know better paying through the nose for the latest consoles this Christmas. Hard to blame the kids for it, most of them have no concept of money and everything feels very immediate.

If your 12 year old can figure this out at their age then you've set them up pretty good for a life of not getting scammed.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Amazon has some 2080ti cards... at $2800. And this card is supposed to be matched or beat by the supposed-to-be-$750 RTX3070 card which is (barely) available for $1500.

3060ti cards? There's one. For $1300.

Best Buy is supposed to have my 3060ti ready today 🙂. And it was $360 because they applied a "birthday month" discount to my item at checkout 🤑

I'm not opposed to the manufacturers pricing to match demand, especially for a "luxury" product like video cards (as opposed to vaccines or similar). But I certainly don't like the idea of an unrelated third party injecting themselves into the transaction. If the manufacturers were getting more profit, then the theory is that they would be incentivised to improve their product or process, or pass the profit down to their employees. It's the same with ticket scalpers for entertainment events, which are things that we used to do in the Before Times.

And I walk the talk too - I've so far obtained two RTX 3080s and a 3060ti, and being morally-opposed to scalping, have not sold any of them. I cancelled all my early notifications from EVGA once I no longer needed them. In fact, I gave one of the 3080s away.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Best Buy is supposed to have my 3060ti ready today 🙂.

I'm not opposed to the manufacturers pricing to match demand, especially for a "luxury" product like video cards (as opposed to vaccines or similar). But I certainly don't like the idea of an unrelated third party injecting themselves into the transaction. If the manufacturers were getting more profit, then the theory is that they would be incentivised to improve their product or process, or pass the profit down to their employees. It's the same with ticket scalpers for entertainment events, which are things that we used to do in the Before Times.

And I walk the talk too - I've so far obtained two RTX 3080s and a 3060ti, and being morally-opposed to scalping, have not sold any of them. I cancelled all my early notifications from EVGA once I no longer needed them. In fact, I gave one of the 3080s away.

Well that's mighty nice of you. That's no small gift. :cool:

I wish everyone had your good fortune in finding the cards they want. If I could get a 3060ti at a fair price, I'd probably buy it. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Well that's mighty nice of you. That's no small gift. :cool:

I wish everyone had your good fortune in finding the cards they want. If I could get a 3060ti at a fair price, I'd probably buy it. 

To be fair, it wasn't totally free - I traded it for a bottle of scotch 😉

I do have to say that two of the three cards I've acquired were through Best Buy (the other being through EVGA's notification process). I'm not sure how extensive Best Buy is in Canada, but they seem to be handling the web traffic better than most other retailers. When they get a drop, they release a few every minute or so so that their site does not crash, and so you have multiple chances each time.

I've installed the app, and have my address and payment info loaded so that it only takes two clicks to buy an item. This is how I got a 3060 and 3080.

There are Twitter accounts that track drops that you can follow.

22 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

To be fair, it wasn't totally free - I traded it for a bottle of scotch 😉

Don't leave us hanging. What kind of a bottle are we talking about?

A thirty-year old Glenmoranghie? :P

5 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I do have to say that two of the three cards I've acquired were through Best Buy (the other being through EVGA's notification process). I'm not sure how extensive Best Buy is in Canada, but they seem to be handling the web traffic better than most other retailers. When they get a drop, they release a few every minute or so so that their site does not crash, and so you have multiple chances each time.

I've installed the app, and have my address and payment info loaded so that it only takes two clicks to buy an item. This is how I got a 3060 and 3080.

There are Twitter accounts that track drops that you can follow.

I tried Best Buy for a 3070 on launch day (and I had my birthday discount then...) where the card was supposed to be reserved once you clicked "checkout", and on two separate occasions before they were all gone I lost out after that point when I clicked the Payment button. I prefer Best Buy for more of my electronics purchases now, but that was very, very annoying.

• Sad 1