Getting back into IL2 - what to buy?!

hi all,

I used to play IL2 back in the early 2000's when it was IL2 the original and Forgotten Battles (god I feel old!).

Now I want to get back into the game and play some multiplayer dogfights, but am confused by the various versions out there. Which version should I buy? If I bought Battle of Stalingrad, would it give me access to other modules in the Great Battle series? Or must I buy all the modules in order to play with others online? 

Also, where I am located right now I can only have access to European region, are there enough active servers and players for me to find games to join? I don't want to find empty servers only after having invested in the game.... 🙂

Also, is it worthwhile investing in a TrackIR? I have a Quest 2 running via Link, should I use it instead of setting up TrackIR? I am just worried about the Quest 2's clarify and resolution which may not allow me to spot enemy planes from distance. 

Your advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers

Edited by toratoratora
2 hours ago, toratoratora said:

Now I want to get back into the game and play some multiplayer dogfights, but am confused by the various versions out there. Which version should I buy? If I bought Battle of Stalingrad, would it give me access to other modules in the Great Battle series? Or must I buy all the modules in order to play with others online? 

See  IL-2: Great Battles – Which one should I buy? by ShamrockOneFive.

For more IL-2 resources, see this post.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, toratoratora said:

Also, is it worthwhile investing in a TrackIR? I have a Quest 2 running via Link, should I use it instead of setting up TrackIR? I am just worried about the Quest 2's clarify and resolution which may not allow me to spot enemy planes from distance.

Best place to ask is over in the VR folders I think. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/109-virtual-reality-and-vr-controllers/

Many people love IL2 + VR; and I think it is better set up for VR than most flight sims. I use OpenIR as VR makes me motion sick :(

Unless you missed it, there's a great big sale going on right now so you can buy a lot at great discounts.

Thanks people for all the sound advice... I now have a BOS Deluxe pack installed on my computer, thanks to the generosity of a forum member! 🙂

Now just waiting for the arrival of my T.16000M HOTAS. Too bad I cheaped out and did not get the pedals in a bundle, it would've only cost me about $80 extra, now I am kicking myself... oh well, will have use my G29's gas and clutch pedals now

My setup is as follows, hope I will be able to run it smoothly in VR with all things maxed out:

CPU: 3600X

RAM: 16GB @ 3400Mhz (OC from 3000Mhz)

GPU: 5700 OC to 5700 XT+ level

VR: Quest 2

HOTAS: T.16000M

Rudder: G29 gas and clutch pedals 😞 

23 hours ago, ITAF_Rani said:

IL2 +VR is spettacular....I enjoy  a lot with Rift S....but if you have a good rig with the last VR is more great the fun !!

I’ve got a water cooled i75930K with a 1080ti though yeah, this coming year I’m going to build a new rig. This one I’m using is definitely holding her own but CPU is showing her age some as I built it 6 years ago. How times flies, pun intended.