Invisible Fokker Scourge

17 hours ago, unreasonable said:

:angry: That is a bit rich, coming from someone who chooses to live where cricketers keep sandpaper in their underpants.

My dear sir, I do not wish to discuss Knox Grammar private school students and their bizarre sexual rituals. An unfortunate practice picked up from those beastly Cambridge types. No class.

Just now, SeaW0lf said:

By the way, I've been flying in ROF since April 2020, quite often, and I haven't seen an invisible plane yet. In fact, I never saw an invisible plane in my 10 years playing Rise of Flight.

:rofl:

I have seen AI planes disappear right in front of me in RoF and BoS  - but I think that was the "I am too far away from my flight leader" feature rather than a LOD issue.

4 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Yes, it happens in single player and it seems off the charts now.

Do you remember the single player scenario you were using? Was it a quick mission and how many planes were there etc.

Need to find a way to reproduce this consistently.

19 hours ago, =IRFC=Hellbender said:

They can throw it onto the "Invisible planes bug" pile,

they can say that the track doesn't help them one bit and they don't have the tools necessary to debug the issue

and they can even outright claim that it's not worth fixing.

but if you clearly and respectfully outline one case, the least I think they can do is go over it step by step before they reject it.

Let's try again:  Are you alleging that any of the above actions on the part of the developers have actually been performed? 

18 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Let's try again:  Are you alleging that any of the above actions on the part of the developers have actually been performed? 

He is clearly giving examples of what can lead to the Devs not fixing a bug. He most likely means that you have to be very precise in your bug reports, otherwise you just send the developers on a wild goose chase. They need to know how to reproduce the bug to know what is wrong in the code. How should he know how the devs are working behind the scenes?

1 hour ago, J99_Sizzlorr said:

He is clearly giving examples of what can lead to the Devs not fixing a bug. He most likely means that you have to be very precise in your bug reports, otherwise you just send the developers on a wild goose chase. They need to know how to reproduce the bug to know what is wrong in the code. How should he know how the devs are working behind the scenes?

I'm not interested in your interpretation of what someone else said; that's how conjecture ends-up getting turned into fact.  Now kindly get back inside your box and let him answer himself.

4 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

I'm not interested in your interpretation of what someone else said; that's how conjecture ends-up getting turned into fact.  Now kindly get back inside your box and let him answer himself.

When you trun on your brain you can answer your questions by yourself...and I by all means don't hold him back to answer your stupid questions. Now closing my box...

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
8 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I have seen AI planes disappear right in front of me in RoF and BoS  - but I think that was the "I am too far away from my flight leader" feature rather than a LOD issue.

I would say it could be a problem inherited from ROF, but it is not even close to what we have here. Invisible planes were part of my streak challenge back in 2019 and 2020 in IL-2. You had to account for 'empty flak', and Bender posted a video of a D7 apearing just on my six. This is something that never happened in ROF, which I always played MP as well, so you have to keep your eyes peeled.

In fact I was only informed about this bug here, in Il-2. I had no idea that it happened in ROF and I never saw anyone post about it on chat. Then I think we can link the bug to ROF, but to compare both and say it happened in ROF as well? To a certain point just to say that it might have come from ROF engine.

8 hours ago, =IRFC=Hellbender said:

Do you remember the single player scenario you were using? Was it a quick mission and how many planes were there etc.

Need to find a way to reproduce this consistently.

It was Arras map, me on a Camel and perhaps 5 or six D7s (D7Fs?). Just simple stuff. 

Okay, stop the presses, this time I think I really got it.

It's damage to the cowling or some other front part of the D.VII that causes the distant LOD to disappear. Please verify this on your end if you have time.

Direct link to reply.

I'm going to try the D.VIIF next.

Edited by =IRFC=Hellbender
  • Upvote 1

For my part, it was when he started to smoke white that I noticed these bugs. So yeah, that might be a good clue.

Although I did not rule out the possibility that the smoke allowed me to better realize that he was invisible. Without the smoke, I would have just thought I couldn't see my opponent.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

2015 and 2016 were past the 2014 update and I wasn't that present anymore, especially in 2016. But as I said, I never saw anyone mentions an invisible plane on chat in 10 years of play. 

I'm not saying it does not happen, but it seems to be so far in between that no one really cared about it. Over here it is a serious bug, affecting streaks and game-play.

So you can keep posting occurrences in ROF, but I'm not sure what your point is. I already said it could happen, I'm not denying it, although I never saw it in ROF and the problem was never really a problem in multiplayer before and now, quite differently from Il-2.

2 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

So you can keep posting occurrences in ROF, but I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is it happened before. I distinctly remembered invisible RE8's in BA / FIF. Reason: as a matter of fact, because the opposite was being stated.

14 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

My point is it happened before. I distinctly remembered invisible RE8's in BA / FIF. Reason: as a matter of fact, because the opposite was being stated.

I think everyone knows that since we noticed the problem here a couple years back. I don't see anyone here denying it happens in ROF.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J5_Rumey said:

11. A damaged Fokker D.VII won't visibly disappear at long distances;

Is this some kind of fix?

Yup, I can't reproduce it anymore. End of an era, I guess?

The Fokker D.VIIF engine still turns invisible under similar circumstances.

bzkwBYM.jpg

Guess we'll start a new bug thread for that one. Though really it might be better to just remove the D.VIIF from the game altogether.

• Haha 2

It was the best of times and the worst of times (it just depended on what side of the lines you flew from).   Now who is going to start the pool for what will become the top complaint of teabag flyers stationed at the front, now that they don't have the little Fokkers DVIIf to kick around anymore?

iz Quotes - Famous Quotes, Proverbs, & Sayings

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Now who is going to start the pool for what will become the top complaint of teabag flyers stationed at the front, now that they don't have the little Fokkers DVIIf to kick around anymore?

How about fixing the wings on the albatros  and halberstadt?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Now who is going to start the pool for what will become the top complaint of teabag flyers stationed at the front, now that they don't have the little Fokkers DVIIf to kick around anymore?

My top complaint as Dolphin lover (it says so on my stats page) is having to fly for Entente to balance the server in first place, because everybody and his dog flies as German these days. Or it would be my top complaint if I forgot to bring my Teutonic resolve when switching sides. :pickelhaube_emoji:

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

How about fixing the wings on the albatros  and halberstadt?

13 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

My top complaint as Dolphin lover (it says so on my stats page) is having to fly for Entente to balance the server in first place, because everybody and his dog flies as German these days. Or it would be my top complaint if I forgot to bring my Teutonic resolve when switching sides. :pickelhaube_emoji:

[cries in Sopwith Dolphin main]

😭

Eh, I still think the wings on the Dolphin are fine. It's much more of a problem with the Camel, whose wings are less fragile but which you will routinely subject to higher G. The control cables going from a single burst, now that is pure frustration. Lately I can attritube all my deaths to them. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was wounded or lost my wings due to excessive maneuvering. Then the fact that both the Bristol and S.E.5a have adjustable stabilizer backup (which they clearly just forgot about) makes it compelling to just fly those instead.

The fact that the Albatros has all but disappeared in multiplayer is understandable, and on the rare occasion that the sides are stacked for Entente and that I get to fly Central, I'll be in a Pfalz.

Anyway, this is a battle for another time and another thread. If new planes are indeed coming, which at least according to Jason they are, and they are the ones on which research had already started back in the old RoF days, then Entente won't have to complain about the Fokker D.VIIF being unmatched for long.

14 hours ago, =IRFC=Hbender said:

Yup, I can't reproduce it anymore. End of an era, I guess?

The Fokker D.VIIF engine still turns invisible under similar circumstances.

bzkwBYM.jpg

Guess we'll start a new bug thread for that one. Though really it might be better to just remove the D.VIIF from the game altogether.

Or hmm maybe the camel... we don't really need that right? 😉 Boring plane

6 hours ago, =IRFC=Hbender said:

Anyway, this is a battle for another time and another thread. If new planes are indeed coming, which at least according to Jason they are, and they are the ones on which research had already started back in the old RoF days, then Entente won't have to complain about the Fokker D.VIIF being unmatched for long.

I don't see Entente players switching to complains about Siemens-Schuckert D.IV as large improvement :).

• Haha 1