39 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

In my limited time online in rof i really enjoyed to be gunner in gotha. It was fun

Interestingly enough, I don’t think I’ve ever played another position other than pilot in ANY of the products, RoF, FC, GB series!
I dunno, never crossed my mind to I guess.

For those that have how do you rate it as compared to pilot duties? Can one actually have a career but be the entire time in a gunner position? I have read that hitting an aircraft that’s moving along with your own plane that is moving is pretty tricky especially depending on the angle of the attacking plane (lots of lead in some cases).

Edited by BornToBattle

I'm looking forward to the full announcement next week! I've been looking at what we know so far (very little) and making some guesses based on what we might see from the announcement. If anyone wants to compare notes, I've put my best guess at a planeset here and I'm prepared to be right or wrong on this one but I figured it'd be fun to guess at :)

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/12/12/best-guess-at-a-planeset-for-flying-circus-vol-2/

Anyone else want to share their guesses? We can be wrong together!

10 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I'm looking forward to the full announcement next week! I've been looking at what we know so far (very little) and making some guesses based on what we might see from the announcement. If anyone wants to compare notes, I've put my best guess at a planeset here and I'm prepared to be right or wrong on this one but I figured it'd be fun to guess at :)

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/12/12/best-guess-at-a-planeset-for-flying-circus-vol-2/

😔....but i want the Nieuport 17(or 11) , not the 28. 😜

27972_5ace317bd075ab6e70e35cb8f30180ea.jpg

Edited by szelljr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
2 hours ago, Freycinet said:

For sure a Zeppelin will be extremely iconic and for sure it will create a huge amount of PR for this sim.

I would love to take a Zepp on low-level pleasure rides over the landscape...

It would make for a nice outing on the Kuban map in spring, with all the snow cover on the mountains.

1 hour ago, migmadmarine said:

Yea, as much as I love the Nieuport 11/17 save those for a early 1916/17 lineup. Let Vol.2 flesh-out late war and port over the remaining RoF aircraft from that era.

And I think that too.

I love the N17, it has that typical WWI Airplane look. But looking at the planes hinted on the image Jason posted, it would be totally out of place.

If later they make an expansion with earlier birds, by all means let them bring it on then.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

23 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I don't think they'll throw the RE8 in. It's more 1918, so it's the time to add the DH4, maybe, and save the RE8 for later (earlier...!).

9 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

I don't think they'll throw the RE8 in. It's more 1918, so it's the time to add the DH4, maybe, and save the RE8 for later (earlier...!).

Why does it have to be 1918 only?Not much of a career option.

It's  perfectly possible to solidify 1918 and get back as far as early-mid 1917 if they don't distract themselves on superfluous, niche aircraft.

Flying Circus doesn't appear to be following the WW2 great battles Thematically based and geographically- based scenarios (e.g. B. of Stalingrad, Normandy, and Kuban. If the first "Volume" is to be considered, it does seem to follow a patter of similar aircraft for a unspecified time period. While in theory, you could produce various aircraft throughout the conflict, it would make any future development appear haphazard and sloppy in style and execution. Logically, a "Volume" should at least be within a certain time period. One obvious advantage is there would be far less criticism on choice of aircraft, though they will always be those that strongly object regardless. If they include aircraft from all sorts of time period, people would have a "hate fest" that they would audaciously leave out one of the "most important aircraft of the war." You know who you are  😛

They should keep it simple and if demand is high enough any "stragglers," they could surely add it as a collectible. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Why does it have to be 1918 only?Not much of a career option.

It's  perfectly possible to solidify 1918 and get back as far as early-mid 1917 if they don't distract themselves on superfluous, niche aircraft.

I'm not defending a 1918 plane set. What I mean is that it doesn't seem consistent to release Fokker DVIII and RE8 in the same volume.

49 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

I'm not defending a 1918 plane set. What I mean is that it doesn't seem consistent to release Fokker DVIII and RE8 in the same volume.

Ah ok. I'd plump for the DH4 myself and can't actually see the point of the D8. Only 85 made it to the front and mostly in Oct 18 i believe. Hardly an important plane.  But it's on their teaser so I guess we'll have to live with it. 

Given we're  lucky to get 10 (or hopefully 12) planes every 2-3 years, there's no room for niche sideshows.  Surely the focus has to be on the important and iconic aircraft that deliver historical matchups and airwar simulation,  great  MP gameplay  and broad SP career opportunities. 

This isn't RoF anymore,  every aircraft needs to be carefully chosen.  I believe its possible to get a very solid selection of planes from early/mid 1917 to late 1918 from FC1 and FC2. That would last us the necessary years until an FC3.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

This isn't RoF anymore,  every aircraft needs to be carefully chosen. 

IMO, this should really be more of a continuation of Rise of Flight, and less of a remake of it.

For example, they started at FC1 as the “experiment”. FC2 as a way to give us a larger map, more 2+- seater aircraft, a Pilot Career, and maybe perhaps a new aircraft. For the third installment, depending on the reception, I feel that they should cover a place not covered in RoF, such as Italy, or Austro-Hungary, Eastern Front, or the 1914-15 Western Front.

While the last part may not appeal to all, I would enjoy flying some WW1 Italian, Austrian, or early fighters/2-seaters.

Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

IMO, this should really be more of a continuation of Rise of Flight, and less of a remake of it.

For example, they started at FC1 as the “experiment”. FC2 as a way to give us a larger map, more 2+- seater aircraft, a Pilot Career, and maybe perhaps a new aircraft. For the third installment, depending on the reception, I feel that they should cover a place not covered in RoF, such as Italy, or Austro-Hungary, Eastern Front, or the 1914-15 Western Front.

While the last part may not appeal to all, I would enjoy flying some WW1 Italian, Austrian, or early fighters/2-seaters.

Cheers.

I 100% agree. This was my criticism of RoF. It was really too focus on one theater of the war. If GB has taught anything is that people are open to may theaters, e.g. Norway, MTO, ETO, etc...) Well if suggestions is a measuring stick. 

WWI air combat is my blind spot when it comes to military aviation history, don't really know enough on the topic so don't really have an opinion on what should be the next aircraft... just happy to see the series is progressing, I'll probably pick it up once it hits a released state down the road like I did with FC vol.1

25 minutes ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

I 100% agree. This was my criticism of RoF. It was really too focus on one theater of the war. If GB has taught anything is that people are open to may theaters, e.g. Norway, MTO, ETO, etc...) Well if suggestions is a measuring stick. 

I'm not sure... I wouldn't be surprised if BoBP and BoN are more profitable than BoS/BoM/BoK... certainly DCS saw their funding swell when they focused on American content. Part of it is that Americans are numerous (e.g. >5 times the population of England) and a certain proportion of them are relatively wealthy... so whatever history they know about is likely to be more profitable. So modelling a Nieuport N.28 at the end of the war will sell better than modelling anything from before the American squadrons arrived...

Throw in the fact that memory of WWI is fading (I was shocked by the lack of activity marking the Centennial - there seemed to be less than marking the 70th anniversary of VE day)... and there is the question of how profitable things can be.

If they can find ways to lower the development costs or expand the number of players - we might see Italian and Austrian aircraft... but as it is, I have real doubts will ever even see even an AI two-seater for the Central Powers which is slow enough to be caught by the DH.2 or F.E.2... we might stand a slight chance of seeing a B.E.2 (which would give something for the 1916 Central Powers fighters to hunt at least)... but even then we'd be more likely to get a later variant that could outrun them. 

Anyway I hope FC2 is more profitable than FC1... maybe if the audience grows we will see a couple AI aircraft added in FC4 to fix the lack of slower early-war two-seaters to hunt.

4 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

WWI air combat is my blind spot when it comes to military aviation history, don't really know enough on the topic so don't really have an opinion on what should be the next aircraft... just happy to see the series is progressing, I'll probably pick it up once it hits a released state down the road like I did with FC vol.1

One interesting thing to check out is the French bombardment squadrons... France developed the first massed attacks (dozens of aircraft) using bombs and cannons in 1916... mainly using Voisin pushers to attack barges, marshalling areas etc. We don't hear about how the French pioneered strategic bombing though...

I suspect this is partly the fact that English chauvinism (and the fact that England and France had only recently shifted from being rivals to allies) limited the translation of French sources, and also the fact that a lot of French archives were destroyed in WWII. But it is pretty fascinating to research. They also deployed three seat fighters (the Salmson-Moineau SM1 is probably the most bizarre).

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 2

In hope we also get detailed, realistic ammunition choices such as incendiary and explosive bullets for the rifle caliber machine guns e.g. for the RFC . Each side made a lot of interesting inventions during the Great War and this should be a good opportunity to represent them.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, BornToBattle said:

Interestingly enough, I don’t think I’ve ever played another position other than pilot in ANY of the products, RoF, FC, GB series!
I dunno, never crossed my mind to I guess.

For those that have how do you rate it as compared to pilot duties? Can one actually have a career but be the entire time in a gunner position? I have read that hitting an aircraft that’s moving along with your own plane that is moving is pretty tricky especially depending on the angle of the attacking plane (lots of lead in some cases).

I did that in my RoF careers.  I started as a gunner and would not take the controls.  After completing some missions as a gunner I went to flight school.

I am much less inclined to do that in a WWII setting.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
6 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I'm not sure... I wouldn't be surprised if BoBP and BoN are more profitable than BoS/BoM/BoK... certainly DCS saw their funding swell when they focused on American content. Part of it is that Americans are numerous (e.g. >5 times the population of England) and a certain proportion of them are relatively wealthy... so whatever history they know about is likely to be more profitable. So modelling a Nieuport N.28 at the end of the war will sell better than modelling anything from before the American squadrons arrived...

Throw in the fact that memory of WWI is fading (I was shocked by the lack of activity marking the Centennial - there seemed to be less than marking the 70th anniversary of VE day)... and there is the question of how profitable things can be.

If they can find ways to lower the development costs or expand the number of players - we might see Italian and Austrian aircraft... but as it is, I have real doubts will ever even see even an AI two-seater for the Central Powers which is slow enough to be caught by the DH.2 or F.E.2... we might stand a slight chance of seeing a B.E.2 (which would give something for the 1916 Central Powers fighters to hunt at least)... but even then we'd be more likely to get a later variant that could outrun them. 

Anyway I hope FC2 is more profitable than FC1... maybe if the audience grows we will see a couple AI aircraft added in FC4 to fix the lack of slower early-war two-seaters to hunt.

Well, if you going to discussed wars and Americans, there are really just three that people seem to care about, Revolution, Civil War, and WW!!. Vietnam is a war that has interest, but it also divided people. It could be said to be "4th" war. In New Orleans, the War of 1812 is popular but only because of the Battle of New Orleans. There was even a popular movie made of the battle, The Buccaneer. Generally, movies and pop culture really just focus on the three I mentioned above with Vietnam getting some sporadic attention. If the Devs are choosing aircraft based on American interest, then they are choosing a war that mos people care or know little about. Target audience, however is probably more towards those interested in aviation history coupled with a an interest in flight sims. Besides, I am American and I fly almost exclusively German. If I had to choose a secondary group, it would be Soviet. Then again, I might me anomaly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, 40plus said:

I would rarely describe myself as a "giddy" person....grimdark is more my emotional state these days.....but I'm giddy, so very giddy waiting for tomorrow's announcement...... :clapping:

I wonder if it'll be delayed by a day... :)

1 hour ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

Well, if you going to discussed wars and Americans, there are really just three that people seem to care about, Revolution, Civil War, and WW!!. Vietnam is a war that has interest, but it also divided people. It could be said to be "4th" war. In New Orleans, the War of 1812 is popular but only because of the Battle of New Orleans.

It is interesting that Korea isn't on that list. The War of 1812 is probably more interesting from the other side (the right side ;) ). We had a lot of rather desperate battles relying on Indigenous / First Nations forces to hold territory before enough British reinforcements could arrive to allow us to... well... you know what happened to the White House. Interestingly though, most Canadians don't know about it... and we're likely to be much more knowledgeable about Vietnam than Korea (even though we actually fought in Korea)... because of good old American Hegemony... even if it did make it easier to learn to appreciate the P-51.

Anyway, I do rather like how the flight simulator community - and our interactions with people from various countries - is giving us a better appreciation of the diversity of history. There is also a silver-lining in that there are so many additional parts of history to explore that we didn't grow up with (e.g. Austrio-Hungarian naval aviation - they had >4 single-seat flying boats, plus some floatplanes and giant three engined cannon armed flying boats as well)!

I just wish the technology had developed a few decades earlier so we could have more interactions with the people who actually flew these aircraft. I learned a lot from Vets growing up and I fear that the history is becoming lost now that younger generations can't interact directly with them. It'd be nice if the flight-sim community could write a history book as a way of better connecting the sims with the actual stories.

Edited by Avimimus
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

It'd be nice if the flight-sim community could write a history book as a way of better connecting the sims with the actual stories.

I think that's what historical Single Player Campaigns are...

12 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

WWI air combat is my blind spot when it comes to military aviation history, don't really know enough on the topic so don't really have an opinion on what should be the next aircraft...

Right now the plane set is firmly in the middle of the war. Nothing from the beginning, and missing some of the important aircraft that were in use at the end of the war.

I'd be surprised not to see a pusher plane for the British if it leans towards the early days, and the Spad VII and the Nieuport series would be needed to do American late war action 

Edited by Jaegermeister
5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I'm not very interested in American aviation in the first world war.  I tend to be much more interested in the day to day experiences of the RFC and French bomber & reconnaissance units, and the planes and pilots who tried to stop them.   There are so many more stories to be told there.  

You can be interested in/not interested in whatever you want, however I'm pretty sure there are at least say...750+ American WWI pilot stories to tell.

I'm also pretty sure that you don't have time for 751 French bomber stories, nor is anyone going to build 751 French bomber scripted campaigns for you, nor

are you about to fly 751 missions in the career, or read 751 books on French bomber pilots even even if someone wrote them.

So, from where I sit...practically speaking from a sim standpoint, it's a wash. Plenty of stories to tell all around.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1