Just now, Zooropa_Fly said:

Andy you've disappointed me.

The HP is the easiest plane in the game to land - bar none !

🤭

Possibly. It's a long time since I've flown it though, and I think I misjudged the stalling speed and/or my height over the ground. It was going fine until I dropped a wing...

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Seeing as it looks like we're getting an O/400 in FCII, I thought I'd take a hop in the RoF one, just to remind myself what it was like. My memory hadn't deceived me, and it rivals the Anzani-engined Bleriot XI in MSFS as far as rate of climb goes (best measured in feet per hour), but actually flies like an aeroplane, albeit one you don't get to do anything in a hurry with. The landing didn't go too well though: ☹️

2020-12-8-9-38-38.jpg

I should probably try the RoF Gotha too (I'm going to have to believe we're getting one, just to keep my hopes up for the rest of this #@%$ year...), which from what I remember also resembled the Bleriot XI, in that roll control did very funny things, entirely contrary to what any sensible aviator might expect. Accordingly it was even more of a pig to land, though I rarely got that far online, as I seemed to attract Camels, Spads and SE5As like flies. If I crashed on the Hun side of the line, I considered it a victory. 🙂

They don't build them like they used to. Elf-n-safety won't let em.

Never landed fine that beast so it's must be something wrong with them big slow monsters, anyway tried just 3 times 🙂

rof_08.jpg

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Like 1

idle speculation post.

assuming the HP 400 and Gotha are in, that leaves 8 spots. I assume all will be ports of ROF planes and that following the usual pattern, FC2 will be designed as stand alone so a player is not obliged to buy FC1.

so here is my fearless prediction of ACs in FC2:

Alb D.III

Pflaz D.XII

Fokker D.VIII

Dfw. CV

Nieuport 17

Sopwith Pup

Nieuport 28

R.E. 8

• Upvote 3

Hopefully a re-visit of the damage/control model is in order as part of the project. More content is fine, but if they're suffering from the broken controls issue, then it will be a mixed blessing. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes along. I lost a sortie the other night to an AI Halberstadt that did 0.1% damage to me, controls lost in that 0.1% damage.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
  • Upvote 4
2 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

The Gotha lands fine, the controls just work differently than you're thinking (whichever way you're thinking).

Flying on the other hand... isn't something it does fine - if one hasn't figure out about adverse yaw from having too high an aileron deflection anyway... :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sgt_Joch said:

so here is my fearless prediction of ACs in FC2:

Alb D.III

Pflaz D.XII

Fokker D.VIII

Dfw. CV

Nieuport 17

Sopwith Pup

Nieuport 28

R.E. 8

Take the N 17 out and insert the snipe then all is good. If they put the D.VIII in there plus they have the D.7F then we better get the Snipe. 

2 hours ago, gascan said:

I think that list is based on the theory that all planes will be prior RoF planes, which the Snipe is not. Don't get me wrong, though, I'd love to see it.

Even if they made the snipe a collector plane I'd be happy with that like they did with the hurricane. They can model a snipe I'm sure, Be a lot easier than any of the others they provide us for il2.

37 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

In FC1 they put in the obvious favourites that would generate some interest... I wish they would now give the earlier war planes in RoF a look in for FC2.

I think that sadly the "obvious favourites" turned out to be a bit too niche economically, so I doubt they'll pour good money after bad and go further into the niche with the earlier planes.  The whole franchise is set up to be MP-centric, and under-armed, under-powered planes just aren't a lot of fun in MP.   No doubt a few will decry that as rubbish, but in RoF the Wargrounds server always emptied when the early war maps appeared in the rotation.

What they need first is a solid, in-house career-generation module (not knocking PWCG, but it's not part of the product), before the early war planes become an attractive proposition

• Upvote 3
35 minutes ago, =CfC=FatherTed said:

The whole franchise is set up to be MP-centric, and under-armed, under-powered planes just aren't a lot of fun in MP.   No doubt a few will decry that as rubbish, but in RoF the Wargrounds server always emptied when the early war maps appeared in the rotation.

If the planes are well matched for the time period then it can be fun and very challenging . Not much better match up than the halb D2 vs a pup, that was a killer match up. One reason the server would empty out when early plane were on is because of map size. A slow plane on a large map would empty a server very quickly.  

I believe having early planes would be a plus but at the moment I'd rather finish the later plane set first. Maybe FC 3 & 4 would be better for early planes.

• Upvote 2

Having early planes will only worsen the situation fellas. Like someone said somewhere, having early planes would essentially be making TWO incomplete games. Fully fleshed out 1918 is what is currently missing. Finish out sending over the late '17 and all '18 planes rof has to offer before going any earlier. 

With that set you easily have your German, American, British, and French campaigns ready to go. Let FC 3 and 4 be early stuff. If no FC 3/4 we at least have a diverse '18.

• Upvote 5

What Talbot said. I'd rather have full-blown 1916 setting than full blown 1918, but what we have today is half fleshed 1918 (with most German planes being from 1917...). We still lack proper two-seaters and German 1918 made planes. 

Besides, D.VIII and HP O/400 are both on poster, and both entered service mid-1918. So, no purely early war FC2. Either a mismatched mix of planes from different periods (which will suck, especially for people not owning FC1), or mirror image of FC1 - 1918 planes for Germans, 1917-18 planes (Hanriot, Spad 7 180hp, Nieuport 28) for Entente, a 1917/1918 two-seater for each. This will complete 1918 and allow 1917 scenarios (Albatros D.III/D.Va, Pfalz D.III, Foker Dr.I, Halberstadt 180hp and DFW C.V against Spad 7, Hanriot, Camel, Bristol F2,  FC2 two-seater is already enough to get  late 1917 going)

• Like 1

What 2 seater would you guys want for the allies? We already have the Bristol The DH4? Can't see a damn thing out of that, worse than the Spad. Someone said some where in this thread about more 2 seaters for recon. Bristol's all ready the best for recon so we don't need that, Maybe a high altitude small bomber but if we get the HP why bother. I know the Central side needs a better 2 seater.  

9 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

What Talbot said. I'd rather have full-blown 1916 setting than full blown 1918, but what we have today is half fleshed 1918 (with most German planes being from 1917...). We still lack proper two-seaters and German 1918 made planes. 

Besides, D.VIII and HP O/400 are both on poster, and both entered service mid-1918. So, no purely early war FC2. Either a mismatched mix of planes from different periods (which will suck, especially for people not owning FC1), or mirror image of FC1 - 1918 planes for Germans, 1917-18 planes (Hanriot, Spad 7 180hp, Nieuport 28) for Entente, a 1917/1918 two-seater for each. This will complete 1918 and allow 1917 scenarios (Albatros D.III/D.Va, Pfalz D.III, Foker Dr.I, Halberstadt 180hp and DFW C.V against Spad 7, Hanriot, Camel, Bristol F2,  FC2 two-seater is already enough to get  late 1917 going)

Disagree.

It doesn't have to be 1916 or 1918...what about 1917!!?? It's perfectly possible to both flesh out 1918 a bit and get back to Mar-April 1917. 

An additional benefit is that you can focus on the most iconic and important aircraft and ditch the minor planes that got made in RoF for dubious reasons.

The game doesn't NEED a Hanriot. No-one will fly it more than once and it will do nothing for sales attractiveness. You've only included above as a last resort because of the arbitrary 1918 time period. Same can be said of the D8 if you ask me though i know your point about the it.

Planes  like the N17, Sopwith Tripe or Pup, Spad 7, Albatros D2 & D3, DFW, DH4 or even RE8 - those are much more iconic and would serve game-play and sales better.

Edited by US103_Baer
43 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

What 2 seater would you guys want for the allies?

Re8 and DH9. Two iconic kites NOT in RoF and a great opportunity to flesh out FC2/3/4 with new birds that served thru 1918.

edit: Sorry Re8 is in RoF. :blush: But still  a great addition for FC .... 

19 minutes ago, US103_Baer said:

what about 1917!!??

We all want that.

Edited by ST_Catchov

Hello all,

just signed in in  this forum.

I'm absolutely happy to have found this pre announcement!

I was doing some "recon missions" lately, navigating through this forum

in order to find  some answers about the ROF/FC history and current  situations.

A gazillion kudos to the dev's for not giving up on this niche of flight sim's!

CCC

PP logo1 50.jpg

PP logo1 05.jpg

Edited by cpt_chaos_canada
  • Upvote 2

My money on what they are going to do, is work their way backwards, keeping the lineups cohesive from the existing aircraft, as that is what makes sense from the campaign perspective. The poster shows the O/400 (the Gotha I think is pretty much a given I think), with the Fokker D.VIII and the Spad VII. So my guess for Vol.2 is  O/400, Spad VII, Nieuport 28, Sopwith Pup, and a two seater either the Bregeut or the Airco Dh.4 (would prefer this myself, since I have a campaign idea which I want to use it as an Polikarpov for). For the Central powers, I expect the Gotha, DFW, Fokker D.VIII, Pfalz D.XII and Albatros D.III. The map I predict will be a the expanded western front map, probably the same as in ROF, but I'd love to see them extend it to the channel coast since the coast is visible from the existing map.

Vol.3 could be the channel map, plus the Felixstow, a two seater, Hanriot HD.1/2, Sopwith Tripe, Airco Dh.2 Vs. W.12, Rolland C.II, Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.II, Fokker E.III. The remaining aircraft can be sold as collectors probably.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

You have to buy both FC1 and 2 to get all the planes when FC 2 comes out. Do you have FC1?

Nope, not yet.

Just started RoF around April on a totally "underspecd" PC,

still enough to get hooked.

Restarted in October with a better gaming machine and I'm enjoying now

all the details plus a very smooth running game/sim.

The only "down side" for me is the sad fact that a certain

"verbal war readyness" seem to linger in the in game chat and the forum.

So, therefore I ventured out through reading older topics in RoF as well as here in FC.

Thanks for your reply!

May the gforce be with you.

CCC😎

2 hours ago, cpt_chaos_canada said:

Do not get discouraged by that. In our small community we have a number of very passionate people and the single fact that we are a small community (compared to WWII) makes 'loud voices' look louder than they should. Most of the whining is about real or perceived imperfections in the game that some of us are more impatient than others to have attended to by the developers. But most of us are enjoying what we have and wait for the game to further develop in the way that RoF has developed in the course of many years. Enjoy your flying time and if you need help you'll find that there are many willing to give it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Yah I wouldn't worry to much about anything that goes on with the sim right now, still early in production, lots will be ironed out in the future. Even with the few hiccups we still have an awesome time doing battle. With FC2 coming it's only encouraging more to join us now. We see an uptick in players joining the servers and the Sunday and Thursday events getting lots of pilots, If you get FC be sure to join everyone in the Flugpark server. You won't be disappointed. 

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, US93_Talbot said:

Having early planes will only worsen the situation fellas. Like someone said somewhere, having early planes would essentially be making TWO incomplete games. Fully fleshed out 1918 is what is currently missing. Finish out sending over the late '17 and all '18 planes rof has to offer before going any earlier. 

With that set you easily have your German, American, British, and French campaigns ready to go. Let FC 3 and 4 be early stuff. If no FC 3/4 we at least have a diverse '18.

As much as I preferred flying the earlier planes in ROF and would love to do so again in Flying Circus, this makes complete sense and I hope they follow this route.  I'm happy to wait a bit for the earlier stuff so long as we have a more rounded product sooner.

My thoughts: 

- The two most viable and 'sense-making' plane-sets in my eyes would be a fleshed-out 1918 or a general 1917 set. Especially if there are murmurs of Career mode coming out! If that turns out to be the case, I don't see 1916 coming in with FC2. How could you have a dynamic career mode with a one-year-gap in the middle?.

- My personal pick would be 1917-era with some 'filled-in gaps' in 1918. 

- You never know...we might get surprised and have all the RoF planes return! I think it's not that likely, but you never know ;) 

- Re: New non-RoF planes from 1918 being added (Snipe, Siemens-Shuckert) as much as I'd love to see them and have the RoF plane-set expanded upon, I would argue that those particular planes are the last thing we need right now. There are already massive un-filled gaps in plane performance in the 1918 set we have, and adding even better planes to the top of that is just going make the rest of the planes less fun to fly. Instead, I'd prefer to see 1918 fleshed out with variants of our existing planes. D.VII / Alb with D.IIIaü, SPAD XIII with HS 8bd / HS 8be, Camel with a Bentley, etc. But, that's all fluff - I'd be seriously surprised if we got any of that! 

With all that being said, and assuming we can expect the same general 'structure' for the new plane-set, with the two bombers replacing one of the four scout slots, I'd guess the following. I'm guessing they are planning to fill out 1918 with some sprinkles of 1917 owing to the D.VIII being on the teaser art. 

Central: 
- Fok. D.VIII
- Alb D.III 
- Pfalz D.XII (Assumedly RoF's "D.XII F" with the BMW engine and not the D.IIIa powered XII)
- DFW C.V 
- Gotha G.V 

Entente:
- Nieuport 28
- Spad VII 
- Nieuport 17  (or) Sop. Tripe or Pup. 
- DH4  (or) Breguet 
- H.P 0-400

...fingers crossed we see a slightly bigger list this time, though! 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1

I think the Heavie's will be collector planes - highest value so fair do's.

Just to be different I'll say that we're only getting x2 Two Seaters, x6 Fighters, and...

Player controlled -  Daimlerflak77-aa, and Thorny13pdr-aa.

S!

1 hour ago, US93_Larner said:

My thoughts: 

- The two most viable and 'sense-making' plane-sets in my eyes would be a fleshed-out 1918 or a general 1917 set. Especially if there are murmurs of Career mode coming out! If that turns out to be the case, I don't see 1916 coming in with FC2. How could you have a dynamic career mode with a one-year-gap in the middle?.

You get transferred to balloon duty.

• Haha 6

Without doubt, the planes in Vol. 2 will in all certainty be brought over from RoF, same as was done for Vol. 1.

As much as I wish we were getting new planes, I just don't see any financial chance of that happening.

Jason probably had to work hard to get a Vol. 2 to exist at all, honestly.

Edited by DakkaDakkaDakka
  • Upvote 5
 cpt_chaos_canada said:

10 hours ago, J2_Drookasi said:

Do not get discouraged by that. In our small community we have a number of very passionate people and the single fact that we are a small community (compared to WWII) makes 'loud voices' look louder than they should. Most of the whining is about real or perceived imperfections in the game that some of us are more impatient than others to have attended to by the developers. But most of us are enjoying what we have and wait for the game to further develop in the way that RoF has developed in the course of many years. Enjoy your flying time and if you need help you'll find that there are many willing to give it.

Thanks for your kind reply!

On my "choosen" quest to understand the community in RoF and FC, I certainly noticed the positivity as well..

Like it should be in any international forum.

I'm still on my mission. 

Happy bullet dodging 🛡️

CCC

Edited by cpt_chaos_canada
14 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I think the Heavie's will be collector planes - highest value so fair do's.

Yeah that was my thinking too.

- Higher price can be charged per plane to help offset the extra cost of development

- Not everyone will want the heavies initially and they'd take up 2 valuable spots in the 10 before even addressing the need for additional 2 seaters

- There will still be a decent core of users that will snap them up immediately and utilise them in MP,  which benefits gameplay

- They'll continue to sell for years as players pick them up to compete the volume. 

• Upvote 1