3 hours ago, J5_Klugermann said:

I definitely don't want any of the Sikorskies and their stupid pood bombloads.  Btw, if you didn't know,  1 pood = 40 funt.

Calling Mik(hail) Funt....

Hmm... I had a pood this morning... good to know that it = 40 funt.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, DakkaDakkaDakka said:

Due to reliability problems with the SPAD XIII's engine, the SPAD VII saw service well into 1918 with many units, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, there were Spad VIIs in service in French escadrilles all the way to the end of the war. Only a few French units were ever equipped entirely with XIIIs. American squadrons also used VIIs well into 1918. Definitely a plane that had a long service life, first coming into service at the end of summer 1916.

EDIT: this site is in French, but it gives a very good look at what planes French escadrilles were equipped with: albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/page_escadrilles_1_a_500.htm

1 hour ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Sad when the Bristol is the best fighter the allied has isn't it?  

What? No, not at all. The Bristol was an excellent design, and that's reflected in RoF and FC well. 

Edited by LukeFF
7 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

What? No, not at all. The Bristol was an excellent design, and that's reflected in RoF and FC well. 

Ok not sad, Yes it was an excellent fighter, Unfortunately FIII is very limited in Flugpark so it's one we can't afford to take out strictly as a fighter, Needs to be a bomber fighter at the moment. We still need a scout that we doesn't fall apart, Bristol is the only one that can take a beating. 

9 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

I would also think it makes more sense to flesh out the late 1917-1918 plane set rather than bringing in a bunch of earlier types.

Yes... I'd rather see one period done well... so a focus on late 1917-1918 is fine by me!

There are still big gaps in the 1916 plane-set (e.g. French bombers, B.E.2c, and a slower German Two-Seater like the LVG C.II or Aviatik)... so I'd rather that they wait and possibly expand it a bit compared to Rise of Flight.

I'd probably even prefer if they expanded the 1917 plane-set (e.g. An early engined Sopwith Camel, and maybe a Moraine-Saulnier AI, an Airco D.H.5 or a Roland D.II) before going to 1916!

Right - the Spad VII was a workhorse scout for the allies that served right up until the end, though the Spad VII of 1918 had an improved engine, better cooling set up, better instrumentation, etc. The issue with the VII was the stock armament of a single Vickers gun was pretty weak by 1918, though the handling and flight characteristics remained quite good. Some of the pilots preferred the crisper handling of the improved VII, especially with the improved direct drive engine over the less reliable geared engine of the XIII.

The other thing is that the early XIIIs of late 1917 also had a rounded wing design that contributed to handling issues and result in poor response. The familiar wing shape of the XIII we think of today actually was a response to problems with the XIII's rounded wing design. Of course, the twin gun arrangement was nice on the XIII, though some of the VIIs had custom-added guns.

I can see the VII with 180hp engine being a great plane for the person who uses slash attacks and is economical in using ammunition. With the current DM though, it's going to be a challenge to take down a D.VIIF with a single Vickers and limited ammo. But I still look forward to the new stuff, whatever it may turn out to be.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

Yes... I'd rather see one period done well... so a focus on late 1917-1918 is fine by me!

There are still big gaps in the 1916 plane-set (e.g. French bombers, B.E.2c, and a slower German Two-Seater like the LVG C.II or Aviatik)... so I'd rather that they wait and possibly expand it a bit compared to Rise of Flight.

I'd probably even prefer if they expanded the 1917 plane-set (e.g. An early engined Sopwith Camel, and maybe a Moraine-Saulnier AI, an Airco D.H.5 or a Roland D.II) before going to 1916!

Okay, I get that completely and cool with that too for sure! 👍 - I just personally would rather see them creep backward in the timeline from FC1 rather than forwards - (the Fokker DVIII suggests forwards). But everyone has there own preferences and desires in the end - it's all good. 

26 minutes ago, NO.20_Krispy_Duck said:

I can see the VII with 180hp engine being a great plane for the person who uses slash attacks and is economical in using ammunition. With the current DM though, it's going to be a challenge to take down a D.VIIF with a single Vickers and limited ammo. But I still look forward to the new stuff, whatever it may turn out to be.

I wonder if the FC 180 will have the same flight characteristics as in ROF. If so then I can get into that. Can do the plank turn in that no problem, climbing was it forte. Nothing could climb like it.   

5 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Here's my prediction based on the silhouettes and career mode hints. 

SPAD 7 150/180

N17

N28

Sop Triplane

DH4

HP400 (premium)

Pfalz D12

Fokker D8

Alb D3

Alb D2

DFW

Gotha (premium)

Where are the career mode hints? I  haven't seen them yet...

I would love to see...

Albatros D.Va with 200hp Mercedes D.IIIaü

Fokker D.VII with 200hp Mercedes D.IIIaü

Pfalz D.XII with 200hp Mercedes D.IIIaü

Fokker D.VIII

DFW

Gotha

Spad VII 180hp

Nieuport 28

Hanriot HD.1

D.H.4

R.E.8

Handley Page 0/400

...to flesh out 1918.

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
  • Upvote 2

I expect to see another 1918 planeset (based on HP O/400 and D.VIII) with no engine / plane variants not present in ROF, with planeset not unlike:
Albatros D.III 180hp
Fokker D.VIII
Pfalz D.XII BMW 
Brandemburg (fingers crossed)
DFW
Gotha

Spad 7 180 hp
Nieuport 28
Hanriot HD.I
Breguet or DH
???
Handley Page 0/400

I like Sizzlors version much better, but I think this is what we'll get planewise.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

I wish they'd expand the current map or introduce the Verdun/St Michiel/Metz area which would be great for the Summer-Fall 1918 operations. This is where the HP operated together with the DH4's and Breguets.

Since they have some elements of this area in the works (Rheinland/Normandy) I imagine that it is doable to merge some of their pieces and introduce the WW1 map.

Edit: Also, I do not believe in the engine modifications (wish I was wrong)

Edited by 1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • Upvote 2

Eindekkers?  Nieuports?  No.  

What FC2 needs is better SPAD 13's: with a turbo-supercharger.  And a RATO-unit.   Vulcan miniguns.  Sidewinder missiles.  Ejector seat.  SatNav.  Radar. Transponder, full IFR glass panel, and Twitter.  Romulan cloak. Long-range target notifications from SETI.  Improved zoom-vision goggles.  Auto-tune texting.  And while yer at it,  tweak the numbers a bit so those flimsy stick-and-string wings won't snap before a Fokker's box-spar does no matter how hard the kid yanks on his joystick, will ya?  After all, we gotta keep it "full real," right?

Grrrrr.....   People dogfighting in E-1's and N-17's.  We'll soon put a stop to that.   :wacko:  

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I think the HD1 would be a good addition to FC, besides - if we don't get it Hellbender will be unbearable on here for months.

The Brandy - I love it, in a funny kind of way. It's a work of art, in a funny kind of way.

But I never got the point of it's existence ?

It runs really hot, can barely keep it's nose above the horizon with any kind of a fuel load..

And without a payload - did it machine-gun subs to death ?

And the view - oh God the view.

S!

• Haha 1

Seriously though: if FC1's the transitional prototype and FC2 the end result: then I think it should include basically everything we had in ROF adapted to the Sturmovik engine for VR.  

I don't expect every bit of it; but would like to see pretty much all the basic features and a whole lot more planes than we have now.  

I like flying FC1 and unless FC2 is a significant improvement, I don't know that I'll be inclined to go through the effort of getting a new sim set up and working in this computer.

I bought FC1 early and without question; not feeling quite so ready to jump this time.  Gonna have to wait to see.  Still optimistic, though.  If it improves SP much at all, I'm probably in.

1 minute ago, migmadmarine said:

Other Il-2 facebook account replied to a comment saying that career mode is planned for FC.2

Oh Interesting! That is a lot of work :)  I do hope they consider a setting which lets the player start near the action... flights in WWI can be long... 

13 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Okay, I get that completely and cool with that too for sure! 👍 - I just personally would rather see them creep backward in the timeline from FC1 rather than forwards - (the Fokker DVIII suggests forwards). But everyone has there own preferences and desires in the end - it's all good. 

Long ago they'd started development of the Roland D.VI, an SSW (I forget which), and I think the Snipe... all were cancelled though, in the early days of Rise of Flight... I'm a bit curious myself about these (and some other designs). I'll also admit a bit of interest in the Junkers J.I (the last surviving example of that striking plane is near where I live)... although the Albatros J.I has a more interesting armament (Side-mounted Becker cannon for orbiting attacks)!

I'm curious about everything... but yeah, my dream is either 1915-1916 (I think the experience of combat would be quite different if we had more two-seaters from the pre-Albatross days... airspeeds and manoeuvrability being lower there would be a lot more management of energy and use of gunners... experiences we haven't really seen before) OR the Adriatic (Seaplane fighters on both sides, giant three engine seaplanes rivalling the Felixstowe, Italian bombers and fighters, mountains)...!

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

It's all one game Todt, FC2 will just add things to what we already have.

There will likely be ongoing tweaks to this and that, but essentially you're playing the same game.

If all goes to plan.. FC3 and 4 should complete the RoF plane set.

S!

Thanks for the info, Fly.  I know you stay better appraised of what's going on here than I do.  

So, the Devs are already talking about 3 and 4?  Interesting.  

I wish we could skip the salad and dive right into the main course but I'll probably buy 'em all anyway; just to see what they contain.

If it's an easy add-on: hooray!  Actually, the sims themselves have always loaded and run nicely for me; but sometimes getting everything working with the flight controls, Rift, and such can be a chore.

The cost of these sims and planes isn't a problem for me but I understand it is for a lot of players.  

Do you think it would be worthwhile asking the Devs for a small discount on the early release price of FC2 for those who supported the early release of FC1?

I'm thinking that, since most of those who play computer sims are in the younger demographic where money is often harder to come by; and since a lot of those young folks supported FC1; a little bit of slack here could increase customer satisfaction and overall sales?

Oh, BTW: I saved the server info and flew your Twilight Zone and Eve of Perone maps solo again last night.  Outstanding!  TZ is a barrel of monkeys and we don't know what else, but finding out is fun.  

And EOP is just an excellent dogfighting map.  

Thanks for your efforts and please keep up the good work.  

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Do we know who is going to make this FC2 game Ugramedia, 1C, the Guys from the tank game or who knows OBD, Asobo? 

Ugra/Yugra Media are the most likely candidate for the asset creation. 1C is a publisher. 1C Game Studios (1CGS) makes the IL-2: Great Battles Series and that includes Flying Circus. Ugra Media, for Vol 1, upgraded the aircraft models and textures and 1CGS did the work.

Asobo Studios is a Microsoft Studio and both has nothing to do with the IL-2 series or 1C and has their hands full with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Good to see WW1 continuing and the faith of those who bought into FC1 rewarded. I wont use it but ill buy it.

I really hope it (and Normandy) sell in the numbers that enables 1CGS to either move away from (or develop new processes to avoid) having to use the generic low resolution "fuzzy felt" map bases we see in FC and BoBP (along with their occasionally clunky asset loading) and return to making maps that match the quality or their aircraft, vehicles, seas and skies a'la Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban. 

• Upvote 1

So, wasn’t ”soon” like, yesterday..? ;)

I’m just as happy as the day FC vol. 1 was announced! 
The fact that Flying Circus continues on the path of rebuilding Rise of Flight, in a new and modern engine, means a lot to me!
I bought RoF as an actual boxed game, before 777 got in on it.
There were flaws. Content was slim. Yet, over the period of many years, it grew into a truly awesome flightsimulator. I bought every single DLC they sold me.

We must not make the mistake of forgetting the early days. RoF didn’t just happen out of the blue. We should not expect Flying Circus to do so either. It will take years. 
I hope that the franchise will continue to grow, in many volumes to come...

• Upvote 10

Seeing as it looks like we're getting an O/400 in FCII, I thought I'd take a hop in the RoF one, just to remind myself what it was like. My memory hadn't deceived me, and it rivals the Anzani-engined Bleriot XI in MSFS as far as rate of climb goes (best measured in feet per hour), but actually flies like an aeroplane, albeit one you don't get to do anything in a hurry with. The landing didn't go too well though: ☹️

2020-12-8-9-38-38.jpg

I should probably try the RoF Gotha too (I'm going to have to believe we're getting one, just to keep my hopes up for the rest of this #@%$ year...), which from what I remember also resembled the Bleriot XI, in that roll control did very funny things, entirely contrary to what any sensible aviator might expect. Accordingly it was even more of a pig to land, though I rarely got that far online, as I seemed to attract Camels, Spads and SE5As like flies. If I crashed on the Hun side of the line, I considered it a victory. 🙂

They don't build them like they used to. Elf-n-safety won't let em.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2