Developer Diary 266 - Discussion

13 hours ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

How does it play in MP in general currently? What style of missions are available, how does it interact with air? Is it just sandbox mostly? Have notable MP servers actually integrated playable ground units into their missions?

4 hours ago, Sky_Wolf said:

Here's a thought as to TC sales: The developers sponsor a once-a-month multiplayer event with player-controlled tanks and aircraft that involves the following:

-an 84 player server with a ratio of tanks-to-aircraft for each side of 21-to-21 (or something like that)

-detailed mission briefings, flight plans, etc. provided to Allied and Axis sides (like Friday Night Bomber Flights)

-participants must have a copy of TC (along with the appropriate BoX product) to play 

I'm always excited to see further improvements to Tank Crew. I have been working on a test mission, experimenting with different ways of integrating tanks into multiplayer in an interesting way. I have come up with a hexagon-based moving frontline system-- It's sort of a complicated form of Capture the Flag, mixed with more traditional multiplayer objectives. I could use some testers if anyone is interested (tankers and pilots are both welcome).

I want to release some of the tools I have developed to the community. But they need a little more polish first and I need play testers to get to that level of polish.

• 1CGS
On 11/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, randybutternubs said:

Or, perhaps, the developer can note what people are saying and improve their product.

Which I'm sure they'll do so the mocking comments for people pointing out valid issues are a little undue...

Just a thought. 🙄

We have over a decade of listening to our customers and acknowledging issues, but we do not and cannot comment on every complaint, suggestion or wish. No game developer anywhere does this. We are always in a state of evaluation and analyzing results and the long lists of improvements, changes and fixes we make every year is proof that our customers are not ignored even if we don't comment on everything. 

Jason

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10
On 11/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, LachenKrieg said:

In addition to what 1stCL/rudidlo said, you can also command a platoon of tanks from the Quick Mission Builder's skirmish mode. There are two command menus that you can access when you are in the commander's position using either the "Tilde" key, or by pointing with the mouse and clicking the LMB. There are quite a few commands available that cover formation, movement, and attack. You can give these commands to either a single tank in your platoon, or the entire platoon.

How is this accomplished usind the left moude button? I am only aware of the command menu taht is accessed by the tilde key and issuing commands via the F1-F8 keys. How can you issue commands using the left mouse button only?

1 hour ago, Hermod said:

How is this accomplished usind the left moude button? I am only aware of the command menu taht is accessed by the tilde key and issuing commands via the F1-F8 keys. How can you issue commands using the left mouse button only?

Hi Hermod, I am happy to try and help.

So think of it as two separate command menus. One has more commands, and the other lets you point and shoot with the mouse.

The first menu is what you call up when you hit the "Tilde" key. I refer to this as the primary menu. But once you hit the "Tilde" key, you will notice that the mouse cursor turns into a round circle icon. If you have it pointing to the sky, it will be white, but when you point it over terrain, it turns red to indicate that you can press the LMB to select a place on the map and call up a secondary command menu.

It still uses function keys, but you will notice that the titles of each function key changes after you click the LMB. I think F5 = Move to point if I remember correctly. I am not in-game at the moment.

Anyway the titles are self-explanatory. Just another point in passing. If you place the round circle icon over an enemy vehicle, it changes to a cross-hairs for attack commands. Also once you select a command from the primary menu, you no longer have access to the secondary menu using the LMB, which is no problem because you are now about to choose one of the commands from the primary menu.

Hope this helps!

Almost forgot, you can check out the video I linked above for example:

Edited by LachenKrieg
7 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

Hi Hermod, I am happy to try and help.

Hi LachenKrieg, 

thank you very much for your reply. 
It seems I misunderstood the original posts and I have been misled by the second video. I understood it in such a way, that there was a possibility to issue commands without using the F1-F8 keys (by clicking on a command instead).  I have been aware of the other commands (like move to point, suppress point etc.) and have tried to use that system. However, I am struggling to switch attention between looking for and pointing at targets and switching attention to pressing the correct F-Key without looking at the keyboard for too long.

I started out flying only and thus usually use a headtracker, which is quite handy as a tank commander as well, at least until you try issuing commands using the command menu. The little circle is then controlled by the head movement, which does not work well for me... I am now trying to switch the headtracker on and of while in game, but thus is also not convenient since it takes a while until the mouse is useable (A different topic). Anyway, thank you very much for your efforts.
The second video, commanding a platoon is quite impressive by the way.

Edited by Hermod
Typo
On 11/28/2020 at 3:32 PM, LachenKrieg said:

There are two command menus that you can access when you are in the commander's position using either the "Tilde" key, or by pointing with the mouse and clicking the LMB.

This is not implemented in the best way. It's almost impossible to point cursor at target when you're using TrackIR with binoculars.

• Upvote 1
On 11/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, Sky_Wolf said:

Here's a thought as to TC sales: The developers sponsor a once-a-month multiplayer event with player-controlled tanks and aircraft that involves the following:

-an 84 player server with a ratio of tanks-to-aircraft for each side of 21-to-21 (or something like that)

-detailed mission briefings, flight plans, etc. provided to Allied and Axis sides (like Friday Night Bomber Flights)

-participants must have a copy of TC (along with the appropriate BoX product) to play 

Have you had a look at the Finnish Virtual Pilots server?  Interesting mix of tanks and aircraft on a moving front scenerio.

Edited by DD_Arthur

I have found that the only way the binoculars are useful at all is to disable TrackIR before enabling the binocs, and using the mouse to move the optics.

As to issuing commands to my tank platoon, the tank AI are as useless as my wingmen when flying.  They do what they want and pay zero attention to orders.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
3 minutes ago, LachenKrieg said:

AFAIK, they have not implemented the command system in binocular view yet

I assume they had implemented it.  When I'm binoculars equipped and click with LMB, cursor is updating it's shape from circle to crosshair when I move it over enemy target. But it's almost impossible to catch that moment and click on it with LMB.

1 hour ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I assume they had implemented it.  When I'm binoculars equipped and click with LMB, cursor is updating it's shape from circle to crosshair when I move it over enemy target. But it's almost impossible to catch that moment and click on it with LMB.

Yeah you can see the command menu, but it was not active the last time I tried.

10 hours ago, Hermod said:

Hi LachenKrieg, 

thank you very much for your reply. 
It seems I misunderstood the original posts and I have been misled by the second video. I understood it in such a way, that there was a possibility to issue commands without using the F1-F8 keys (by clicking on a command instead).  I have been aware of the other commands (like move to point, suppress point etc.) and have tried to use that system. However, I am struggling to switch attention between looking for and pointing at targets and switching attention to pressing the correct F-Key without looking at the keyboard for too long.

I started out flying only and thus usually use a headtracker, which is quite handy as a tank commander as well, at least until you try issuing commands using the command menu. The little circle is then controlled by the head movement, which does not work well for me... I am now trying to switch the headtracker on and of while in game, but thus is also not convenient since it takes a while until the mouse is useable (A different topic). Anyway, thank you very much for your efforts.
The second video, commanding a platoon is quite impressive by the way.

Yeah sorry if the title misled you, I didn't think the second video turned out well at all though. What I meant to show in that video was the ability to command a large number of vehicles over a great distance. It wasn't meant to demonstrate the commands themselves, just the ability to use them in what turned out to be a poorly done cinematic.

But my suggestion for you is to write out the command structure on a sheet of paper, or at least the ones that you think you will most often use. After a few reads, you can easily memorize the most important command sequences, and then it is just a matter of how fast you can press the corresponding F-keys. Usually a sequence of 3 to 4 key presses. You can get a sense of just how fast by watching the first video where I use commands I memorized.

The benefit of the secondary command menu IMO is primarily for movement. If you are commanding a group of tanks like in the second video, which was done entirely with the secondary command menu, then pointing with the mouse to select the point to move to, coupled with memorizing how to direct the command sequence you want to a specific tank in your platoon can help speed up your use of the command menu.

You see a similar benefit when attacking a single target unless the target is moving, which makes it harder to select it with the mouse pointer.

But if you want more control over the formation, position, and what to attack with your platoon, then you will want to use the primary command menu with the "Tilde" key. Again, I think you can really exploit the power of the command system in Tank Crew by memorizing at least the structure you most often use.

Edited by LachenKrieg
On 11/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, BlitzPig_EL said:

I have found that the only way the binoculars are useful at all is to disable TrackIR before enabling the binocs, and using the mouse to move the optics.

Salute,

I found no issue with using the bins in either Track IR or VR. Once selected I can move my head quite freely. Are you "taking control" of the position with "T".

It's because the binocular view moves around far to much with TiR on. It's pretty much impossible to hold them steady enough for them to be any use.  To work I would need a completely different TiR profile, just for the binoculars, which isn't going to happen.  TiR works very well with the tanks otherwise.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

It's because the binocular view moves around far to much with TiR on. It's pretty much impossible to hold them steady enough for them to be any use.  To work I would need a completely different TiR profile, just for the binoculars, which isn't going to happen.  TiR works very well with the tanks otherwise.

Yes I was using TIR with the Binocs last night and it is virtually impossible to use them with my profile. I am going to try the default profile or just make one and slow it way down, then label it Tank Crew. It is really nice using TIR in TC though. It adds just a little bit more immersion.

On a different note, I was noticing how good the sound effects are from an external view while watching recordings I have made. I have a 5.1 surround attached to my puter and OMG it sounds really good. Steel Fury has great audio and TC is very close its' depiction of battle sounds. Once the infantry is introduced that will add that little bit extra of battlefield chaos. I am hoping 1C is going to make their infantry at least as good as SF, which isn't perfect, or I hope they just decide not to do it. Here is to hoping they do a good job with the infantry though! Go 1C!

Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
20 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Yes I was using TIR with the Binocs last night and it is virtually impossible to use them with my profile. I am going to try the default profile or just make one and slow it way down, then label it Tank Crew. It is really nice using TIR in TC though. It adds just a little bit more immersion.

On a different note, I was noticing how good the sound effects are from an external view while watching recordings I have made. I have a 5.1 surround attached to my puter and OMG it sounds really good. Steel Fury has great audio and TC is very close its' depiction of battle sounds. Once the infantry is introduced that will add that little bit extra of battlefield chaos. I am hoping 1C is going to make their infantry at least as good as SF, which isn't perfect, or I hope they just decide not to do it. Here is to hoping they do a good job with the infantry though! Go 1C!

Blade<><

I usually disable TIR in the tanks but if you want to use it you could configure the precision mode (you can toggle on the go) to be significantly slower/have different curves AFAIK.

• Han unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...