Camera stuttering effect in IL-2 Great Battles

Hello all

While making some cinematics I've noticed that compared to Rise of Flight or early iterations of IL-2 Great Battles, the game stutters a lot with flyby shots whether in cinematic camera mode or not. I will mention here that my PC is becoming too old to play IL-2 very smoothly, but the effect is still there in other videos I've seen. This happens especially when panning quickly.

For example, notice in Rise of Flight, the game is smooth as butter and is free of stutters. 

https://youtu.be/kcxKC9CZYPg?t=227

At 2:18

However, in IL-2 fast camera movement, even while using flyby padlock, results in a strange ghosting or stuttering effect.

https://youtu.be/0nmUg0uMfww?t=154 

At 2:34

https://youtu.be/OO8Mxvazknw?t=76 

At 1:16

Do people notice this aswell? I know @DetCord12B has mentioned this at least. I do not know if this effect can be reduced or improved, but it limits moviemakers in some ways and also detracts from the unique beauty of IL-2 GB. Please let me know if you get what I'm talking about!

Lemsip

P.S. Im not bashing IL-2, I love the game, but would be even better if this was addressed.

Edited by Lemsip
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems speed dependent because I was able to use a free camera with the Tank Crew trailer and it was hardly noticable. I don't use it with aircraft because you can see them judder across the screen (it's not a stutter because the frame rate is 60fps or more). It's been there since Battle of Stalingrad and it's never gone away. I figured it's a quirk of the engine and doesn't affect regular players all that much so I haven't brought it up... but it is limiting for sure.

If you lock the camera onto something that makes it go away too.

• Upvote 3

@Lemsip and I were actually discussing this on the r/IL-2  sub. It doesn't really bother me all that much even though it is highly noticeable in game. However, it really detracts from the movies top-notch filmmakers like Lem, air doc, IIN8II and many others create. It also makes the sim appear to have optimization issues to any new and potential buyers.

Watching what people can do in DCS with regards to cinematic film making helps push that product and it's modules onto the consumer. With IL-2 it seems to be quite the opposite.  

I've noticed this since the beginning too. If you play Warthunder or DCS while locked at 60fps, it is noticeably smoother that IL2 60fps. It's hard to explain but it's there, you can just feel it. I always thought it was a camera speed setting or something on my end with my computer not being up to specs but going back and forth between the games it's definitely there. Glad I'm not alone.

• Upvote 1

Hi, guys, here just to say that I noticed this judder effect as well. I have my fps at a rock solid 60, with low GPU and CPU loads, but there is still judder when panning, the aircraft's movement doesn't look smooth. This is very visible on my last video (Thunderbolts!), when on the landing this issue becomes very evident while panning the camera to film the landing roll.

• Thanks 1
  • 1CGS

This usually occurs when you use the F11 Free Camera, which was never designed to be a camera the user could play with. Albert removed it for this reason in 2013. It was a developer tool to move about the map or a scene quickly. I made it available because I know you guys wanted to use it. The stuttering of planes flying buy is caused by the camera (usually moved with your mouse) moving at a different speed than the in-game refresh rate (not your monitor refresh rate, these are different things) that updates the position of everything in the game. Usually if the F11 camera is stationary and something moves past it there is no stutter. Cameras like the F3 fly-by view or padlock is synced in such a way to not cause this. I recently asked our Lead Programmer about this issue to update myself on the subject.

There are lots of new cameras and padlock settings etc. I'd like to add, but they are luxuries I can't get to right now.

Jason

• Thanks 12
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

@Jason_Williams @Lemsip

Now I'd like to point out that this issue occurs when using any external view, not just the Free Camera as previously blamed as the culprit. So, this isn't just limited to said view.

Jason wants people to make high quality videos of his product. It's kinda hard to do that when aircraft in flight appear to lag and stutter around the battlespace like popcorn kernels in the microwave. This really needs to be addressed, if it even can be.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DetCord12B said:

@Jason_Williams @Lemsip

Now I'd like to point out that this issue occurs when using any external view, not just the Free Camera as previously blamed as the culprit. So, this isn't just limited to said view.

Jason wants people to make high quality videos of his product. It's kinda hard to do that when aircraft in flight appear to lag and stutter around the battlespace like popcorn kernels in the microwave. This really needs to be addressed, if it even can be.

I didnt even see the response from Jason until today, but I wanted to point out that since upgrading my PC and since the most recent update, the camera is MUCH smoother when using F11. The effect is still there admittedly, but it is a massive improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the stutter issue is an odd one to me, it's like the engine doesn't like over 60 FPS?

I never really dip below 144+ FPS usually hit nearer 200+ in flight... But there is a noticeable micro stutter that makes the frames perceived to run at 25 FPS at times but all my software is telling me I'm at 144+... I've used both the in-game FPS and MSI counter... CPU is roughly around 23% used and the GPU goes from 73% to the 80's... I have the same frames on the ground and same stutter while looking in external views... GPS (Gunners Primary Sights) and 1st person seems okay in Tanks... I get the stutter in planes... Makes it hard to aim...

Could it be a chip thing? Are people with AMD's maybe prone to this?  I can send a Dev my DxDiag if it'll help?

I'm currently running a:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

32 GB Ram

Geforce RTX 2080Ti

all SSD's

Could it be... A form of vsync where the game engine isn't ready for over 60FPS?

Don't know just spitballing here...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just tried replaying a flight record (track) today using the F11 free cam mode which seems fine now, but the other player external cams Lshft-F2 and Lctrl-F2 still do create this stutter when panning quickly around or watching a fast merge. Not an urgent problem of course, but thought I should mention it since I didn't read any other comment specifically about this aspect yet.