martinlb

I get confused by the IL2 label

From the start, when I first realized how much there was to Rise of Flight and I wanted to expand, I found myself confused.  Due to something about the way I came across ROF and the Sturmovik line of sims I thought they were all related.  I bought a number of ROF planes believing I'd be able to use them in Flying Circus.  Is the way these games are presented just a matter of a business model I'm not familiar with?  More recently, since I would LOVE to have B17s and such available I was jazzed to discover 1946, which has heavy bombers.  I've now found that the people who are connected with Sturmovik have nothing to do with 1946, but yet, the way these games come across seems extremely confusing.  Has anyone else here had similar trouble distinguishing which games are supported by which people?  I'm not used to this!  🤯

Shortly put.

Original Il2 Sturmovik, created by Oleg Maddox, was owned by 1C company. This game had several sequels and the final release Il2 Sturmovik 1946 included all the content of this game series. Afterwards it code was made public and it has had several patches from volunteer groups. Most "official" ones from Team Daedalus, on top of which popular HSFX mods were also released. Another team, SAS1946, has created huge amount of content to is, collected under a huge BAT mod. 

Then Oleg Maddox and 1C Company moved on from this engine to create a new flight sim that aimed for a completely new level, Il2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover. This one had great potential, but it's amount of bugs was even greater than the potential, so was soon dropped by 1C. An unofficial modding team, Team Fusion, created mods that made the game playable and enjoyable and kind of saved it. Later on, 1C and Team Fusion, started cooperating and next release of this series Il2 Sturmovik: Tobruk was released.

Meanwhile, another company 777 Studios, released a WWI game Rise of Flight, on a totally different engine.

Later on, 1C (owner of Il2 Sturmovik brand) and 777 Studios started to cooperate and released Il2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, based on an upgraded RoF engine, but not compatible with it. This has got several sequels that are all compatible with each other and combined under Il2 Sturmovik: Great Battles series.

To pull it all together, there are three different lines on Il2 Sturmovik games, with totally different engines.

The original Il2 Sturmovik 1946. Grandfather of these WWII flight sims, lots and lots of content, but outdated by now.

Il2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover series. Includes Blitz and Tobruk. 

Il2 Sturmovik: Great Battles series. All these "Battle of" games.

Edited by Robli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

IL2 / RoF / CloD /Great Battles / FC - they're all part of the same lineage I think, with company's involved changing a couple of times.

It can be a bit confusing though.

The old IL2 is it's own self contained environment, as is RoF.

Great Battles contains 'modules' including FC / (now) CloD / Desert Wings / Battle of Stalingrad etc...

Other than FC attempting to be a copy of RoF - the 2 games are unconnected.

You're not the first to expect RoF planes to work in FC, but to be fair it was never announced they would.

S!

EDIT - See above for the real answer !!!

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

This happens a lot when a company makes something. The Corsa cars have A, B, C, D models. There are many Star Wars movies or James Bond movies. Games aren't any different and just looking at the graphics alone should give you some sort of clue as to what game is compatible with what.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, martinlb said:

From the start, when I first realized how much there was to Rise of Flight and I wanted to expand, I found myself confused.  Due to something about the way I came across ROF and the Sturmovik line of sims I thought they were all related.  I bought a number of ROF planes believing I'd be able to use them in Flying Circus.  Is the way these games are presented just a matter of a business model I'm not familiar with?  More recently, since I would LOVE to have B17s and such available I was jazzed to discover 1946, which has heavy bombers.  I've now found that the people who are connected with Sturmovik have nothing to do with 1946, but yet, the way these games come across seems extremely confusing.  Has anyone else here had similar trouble distinguishing which games are supported by which people?  I'm not used to this!  🤯

There are other analogs that would be similar. DLC for the last Call of Duty game wouldn't be compatible with DLC from the one before it for example. So in the same way, the IL-2 series has gone through a few generations of product.

First gen comprised of the following:

IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Forgotten Battles

IL-2 Ace Expansion Pack

Pacific Fighters

IL-2 1946

Second gen:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (original release)

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover BLITZ EDITION (re-release with major fixes)

IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - Tobruk

Third generation:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Kuban

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Normandy

Flying Circus Vol 1

Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka

The third generation has a badge logo that says IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles Series. Anything with that on it is compatible with each other.

Rise of Flight was made by the same team as this third generation but the products themselves are not compatible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

6 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

There are other analogs that would be similar. DLC for the last Call of Duty game wouldn't be compatible with DLC from the one before it for example. So in the same way, the IL-2 series has gone through a few generations of product.

First gen comprised of the following:

IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Forgotten Battles

IL-2 Ace Expansion Pack

Pacific Fighters

IL-2 1946

Second gen:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (original release)

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover BLITZ EDITION (re-release with major fixes)

IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - Tobruk

Third generation:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Kuban

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Normandy

Flying Circus Vol 1

Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka

The third generation has a badge logo that says IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles Series. Anything with that on it is compatible with each other.

Rise of Flight was made by the same team as this third generation but the products themselves are not compatible.

Shamrock has it right.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Hey, thanks tons for all the information.  I can see that part of my confusion is due to not really being into gaming except for this and one other.  Due to that it seems I haven't seen the use of one, sort of, similar "brand" being used for games that really have little or nothing to do with one another.  The fact that these games are presented, and play, in a manner that looks similar to me is I guess just due to inexperience on my part.  I appreciate all the time some of you put into helping me understand better. 

I shared your confusion. I noticed the similarities in names with Cliffs of Dover and Stalingrad, but the price difference told me something wasn't right. I was already playing RoF by that point, but still confused. I actually had to stop playing RoF because I bought a laptop that could not handle the graphics anymore. When I bought one that could, and ater resolving my confusion, I bought one of the battle series on sale and I have been ever since. 🙂

I later bought Blitz and I plan on getting Tobruk. I loved in Dubai, so I like the desert. 😁

Its a (probably rather minor) issue that does raise its head quite frequently in the Stam forums, from what Ive noticed.

The problem (imho) is that games like CoD are soooo huge that generally the wider gaming public already know by osmosis through their media instake that CoD X and CoD Y are different beasts.

That said, to me, I have not a clue about CoD (since the original WW2 ones) and I couldnt reliably tell anyone what part of the franchise goes where and is compatible with what.

So, the issue will raise its head in some quarters regardless, but this is mitigated by a modicum of research or Google-fu and having a helping community.

I would be hesitant to sever the links with the respected *IL2* franchise if for some insane reason I become responsible for their corporate ID. (I am open to offers :) )

Its an interesting topic though and shows how even "small" (!) things have to be deeply considered by the devs, not just "how fast is an Me-109 in the wet" angle of the sim proper.

I share this confusion too. I noticed that the old il-2 1946 was another game, but the rest was very confusing. For exmple, I didn't know what actually Cliffs of Dover was, as it was older I thought first it was the "main game" of Il-2 for a short time, then I realized that "Battle of Stalingrad" was the main one so I got that one from Steam and later B of Moscu as it was sold as "an expansion", until later I realized the other battles and collector planes.

What made it worse for me is a game called "IL-2 Surmovik: Wings of Prey" that was developed by Gaijin Entertainment between IL-2 1946 and it is not even listed on this page or Shamrock list and I actually confused it with Cliffs of Dover.

So yeah, weird.

At first, the "2nd gen" sim, which we know today as Il-2 CloD was supposed to be titled "Storm of War: Battle of Britain" if I recall correctly. It seems, however, that some corpo pencil-pushers at 1C figured "Il-2" piece was too recognizable amongst PC gamers to drop it, so decision was made to slap it onto every their WWII sim ever since, whether it made sense or not.

I understand their business logic, but that's how confusion was born.