HP REVERB G2 THROUGH-THE-LENS

Yeah I agree with him. I am currently doing a second play through of Alyx ( in between IL-2 PWCG missions), and with my somewhat dimly lit room 

I am getting pretty darn good tracking with both the headset and controllers.  I am a few hours into it so far and have not had any major glitches.

Certainly Oculus Touch controllers are great and set a high bar, and these are not as good but certainly not too far off from them and quite playable.

Which is a relief to me as I thought I might have to stay with Rift S for games that use the controllers, and so far that has not been the case.

26 minutes ago, 161snails said:

im still awaiting mine, hopefully to recieve it 1st week of december. just one quick question, has it affected your frame rate much?

Yeah some. I put this 3090 FTW3 Ultra in my machine two weeks ago. Then I got the Reverb G2 1 week ago.

For that first week with the 3090 playing IL-2 with the Rift S on Ultra settings I was maintaining max of 80 fps for the most part with no problem. After getting Reverb G2 in and running, I am not able to maintain 90 fps as much so I am toning settings down a little. Not too much, it still looks great, but did things like lower clouds from Ultra to High, and Shadows from Ultra to High. I changed from MSAA x 2 to FXAA x2 to help also.

Now I am getting 90 fps more frequently with the G2. Not always constant, but more so than not and the visuals are fantastic.

Thanks Dburne, i looking to build a new system sometime next year, though i currently use an MSI 2080 titan laptop as i travel a great deal with work. i get pretty good framerates with things dialed high so hopefully the HP wont make it unplayable...no way ill make 90 frames but to be honest 45 in the rift s for me was fine. ill keep you posted :)

21 minutes ago, 161snails said:

Thanks Dburne, i looking to build a new system sometime next year, though i currently use an MSI 2080 titan laptop as i travel a great deal with work. i get pretty good framerates with things dialed high so hopefully the HP wont make it unplayable...no way ill make 90 frames but to be honest 45 in the rift s for me was fine. ill keep you posted :)

IMHO Reverb G2 with Motion Smoothing at 45 fps is better graphic wise than Oculus ASW.

I think you will be fine.

In fact I may try forcing mine to 45 fps Motion Smoothing and see if I can increase graphics back and how it looks.

Edited by dburne

Have you differentiated where your bottleneck comes from?

I somehow doubt it is the (monster)card, I suspect your frametime drops are CPU induced. That card is like a strongman carrying a basket of milkbags and bagles.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 11/22/2020 at 7:10 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Have you differentiated where your bottleneck comes from?

I somehow doubt it is the (monster)card, I suspect your frametime drops are CPU induced. That card is like a strongman carrying a basket of milkbags and bagles.

Buy VRfps on Steam. It's only $5 and tell you loads on gpu and cpu in game.

35 minutes ago, Robin2k7 said:

great stuff  , tomorrow I get my Reverb G2 , do I need to reinstall this game and install it on steam to be honest I don't have a clue haha 

Thanks 

No.

You will need Steam VR , and of course Steam to get Steam VR, but no need to install Steam Version of the game.

38 minutes ago, ACG_Mephisto said:

I would sure like to know how he is running at 80 fps on a 90 Hz/60 Hz device.

Edited by dburne
40 minutes ago, ACG_Mephisto said:

He "only" has 8600K (stock) / 1080TI and runs SteamVR at 50% and high settings in IL-2. I run my index at c. 10% more pixels and have about 10% less FPS...  

G2 global resolution to get close to native is 50% - current bug in Steam VR for the G2.

I found this link in the comments to that video: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jy5uu8/no_theres_no_bug_causing_steamvr_to_go_above/

I’m going to experiment a little more with SteamVR’s resolution. 100% is too much on Combat Box and 50% works fine on my aging GPU, but I want to reduce the shimmer more than 2x MSAA does in my Reverb G2 at 50%.

Edited by Charlo-VR
Grammar
  • Like 1