ghostly_doggo

Where are the enemy bombers in bodenplatte?

I’ve flown over 20 sorties around 8 in the spitfire and the rest in the tempest. I started in the earliest stage. Not once have I encountered so much as a Stuka, I want to shoot down some bombers but all I’ve seen is fighters. Has anyone else had this happen? 

Edited by osis

5 minutes ago, osis said:

I’ve flown over 20 sorties around 8 in the spitfire and the rest in the tempest. I started in the earliest stage. Not once have I encountered so much as a Stuka, I want to shoot down some bombers but all I’ve seen is fighters. Has anyone else had this happen? 

Well, I'm not 100% sure but if I remember correctly, during operation Bodenplatte there were almost no bomber activities in large scales. With the air superiority being

hold by the Allies only, such bomber raids wouldn't have been effective. That's why they mainly used only bomber-fighters, which were fast enough to strike and run

quickly. To me this scenario seems quite historical and considering the fuel shortage the Axis already had, such bomber raids would consume to much fuel, which

was desperately needed for the Reichsverteidigung (defense of the Reich) - namely fighters and bomber-fighters.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, osis said:

Hello,

There are indeed German bombers day raids in the Bodenplatte career mod. But it is only Me262 of the KG51 by single planes or by 2, especially from September to December 1944.
Very difficult to see and intercept with speed ... Most often this happens when you are fighting a diversionary raid with FW190 or Bf109.

I have already managed to shoot down 1 or 2 Me 262 with a Tempest or Spitfire,

It is therefore a historical situation.

For the Ju87, it will be necessary to see at night when the Mosquito will be available.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, osis said:

Not once have I encountered so much as a Stuka, I want to shoot down some bombers but all I’ve seen is fighters. Has anyone else had this happen? 

The german bombing activity only happened during the night at this late stage of the war.

During the day, they were dead meat.

• Upvote 1

Shall I count all the historical inaccuracies happening on servers?

This focus on what happened during Bodenplatte is bogus when looking on what happen in servers Bodenplatte was a pack to boost sale. Full of hotrods. And everytime one ask for a bomber , one get history thrown in ones face. 
It is time to focus what this >GAME< need

33 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This focus on what happened during Bodenplatte is bogus when looking on what happen in servers Bodenplatte was a pack to boost sale. Full of hotrods. And everytime one ask for a bomber , one get history thrown in ones face. 

He's obviously talking about the career.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

So the career mode needs He 111 trying to bomb allied railyards in the Netherlands 1944? 
If that’s what you are implying I disagree. It’s ok, that pwcg does that occasionally but it wouldn‘t fit career...

If we got one day Do17 bombing french railways in 1940 in an Battle of France module that would be a totally different thing 

The only real daylight bombing ops have been conducted by 262s and Ar 234s.

Most nocturnal bombing was flown by Nachtschlachtgruppen, many converted from daylight raider units.

Those were flying Stukas and Fw 190s at night. IIRC you can fly those in the career, but not sure if at night.

That doesn't help much, not seeing them from an allied coockpit during the daytime, though.

4 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Those were flying Stukas and Fw 190s at night. IIRC you can fly those in the career, but not sure if at night.

Yes, you fly at night with those sorts of units. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

So the career mode needs He 111 trying to bomb allied railyards in the Netherlands 1944? 
If that’s what you are implying I disagree. It’s ok, that pwcg does that occasionally but it wouldn‘t fit career...

If we got one day Do17 bombing french railways in 1940 in an Battle of France module that would be a totally different thing 

That was one of those historical inaccuracies that I put in for the fun.  In PWCG the Luftwaffe is still competitive.  War looks a lot like the Eastern front with American and British planes instead of Russian. 

In reality, I can't imagine a faster way to die than to join a unit of Ju88s or He111s on a daytime raid in 1945.  The outcome would not be good.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, THERION said:

Well, I'm not 100% sure but if I remember correctly, during operation Bodenplatte there were almost no bomber activities.

To be clear, “Bodenplatte” was a single operation during the morning of Jan 1st, 1945 and yes only involved fighters.

• Upvote 1

The Fw-190 had replaced the Ju-87 as the LW's jabo beginning in 1943, so a lot of fighter bombers were involved. Of course, the Fw had replaced the Ju-87 for that very reason--survivability!

19 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

To be clear, “Bodenplatte” was a single operation during the morning of Jan 1st, 1945 and yes only involved fighters.

I know, thanks.

Just now, THERION said:

I know, thanks.

I figured - just for the person that might not. :)

2 hours ago, Raptor341 said:

But isn't that the challenge @PatrickAWlson, to model it as it was? Do you have a historical option for the CG? Still haven't flown BOBP but I intend to soon

The challenge is to make it enjoyable without going too far off the rails in terms of history.  So the units are there - the vast majority historic but a couple not.   The lines move.  Germany will  not win the war.  However, as noted above, the Germans are far more competitive than they really were that late in the war.  The planes are in better shape, no fuel shortage, no pilot shortage.  So the paper strength of the LW is its actual strength.  

I suspect career mode in the game is similar.  Do allied pilots really fly their missions mostly unimpeded while German pilots are flying for a spent force that gets molested every time it takes to the skies?  I suspect not.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I suspect career mode in the game is similar.  Do allied pilots really fly their missions mostly unimpeded while German pilots are flying for a spent force that gets molested every time it takes to the skies?  I suspect not.

It depends on the difficulty level - the harder the difficulty, the more skilled the pilots and the number of enemy planes the player will encounter (and more AA guns as well). It's not quite the same as reality, but it's a fairly decent approximation for now.

Edited by LukeFF

I don't mean to sound like I disapprove of your choice for the mod, but rather that I think in a simulator its good to model the historical situation as closely as possible. If you want to have an alt-history option as well that's great, but I'd personally like to fly and experience the same situation as the actual pilots in terms of gameplay - its an excellent place to showcase just how the war in the air had changed (for the Axis) since 1940. For the Allied pilot its about finishing the fight and driving out the last of the LW from the skies while trying to stay alive, and for the LW pilot its survival. 

If you do make a fully historical set up for BoBP in PWCG, I'd be very interested in it, low fuel and all. (Though I fly Allied) 

Regardless, thanks for the great work you give to this community!

1 hour ago, Raptor341 said:

I don't mean to sound like I disapprove of your choice for the mod, but rather that I think in a simulator its good to model the historical situation as closely as possible.

Speaking from my experience creating content for the sim (as well as being a combat flight simmer since EAW) I can tell you that creating a historical situation as "closely as possible" is A. open for interpretation, and B. "to the letter" often not advisable for a variety of reasons. What you think you want, and what will actually entertain you (rather than wear you out or annoy you) are likely 2 different things. This is because experiencing the war in an actual airplane is different on many levels than sitting in your office looking at a screen, trying to squeeze in a flight before your wife asks you why the dishes are not done yet.

For the purposes of gameplay it's often necessary to "massage" things a bit in one area or the other in order to increase the sense of immersion or enhance the experience for a wide variety of players. For instance in my Hell Hawks campaign I could have easily forgone any air to air action at all, since over just 16 days, at that juncture of the war, this would have been totally plausible. However this fighter group did see air to action in the theater, so I added it in 3 of the 16 missions, including at Bastogne although probably the ACTUAL history says this fight never happened. Yet other missions are represented to the letter as far as the game engine allows. So far no complaints.

I also moved the player airbase from their historic home at A-84/Chievres closer to the lines at Florenness. This is because the actual historic flight time/ingress from Chievres although a short flight by real life standards, was too long for the play-testers. Why? Because we don't experience time the same way a real pilot in a real WWII fighter does.

Again, no complaints.

The point is, as much as we love our simulation, it's meant for entertainment, and when we create content we have to balance history with playability, while still keeping things historically plausible if not always 100% historically accurate. I campaign/career that represented 100% historical accuracy, during most periods of the war in most theaters would bore you to tears and cause endless complaints from most of the user-base. I know this, Luke knows this, BlackSix knows this, Jaegermeister knows this...pretty much anyone who creates or assists with content knows this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the great content, you guys put in a lot of effort and it shows, love flying the sim.

Unrelated but are you guys going to ever implement a feature where if you do land in enemy territory near the front that instead of getting captured every time you can sneak back into friendly territory? I’ve landed barely on the wrong side of the front many times lol 

Edited by ghostly_doggo

14 hours ago, ghostly_doggo said:

Unrelated but are you guys going to ever implement a feature where if you do land in enemy territory near the front that instead of getting captured every time you can sneak back into friendly territory? I’ve landed barely on the wrong side of the front many times lol 

That happens in BP sometimes.