Go watch it...."Red Tails" ( Lucasfilms )

Well, I just posted because i thought some might be interested... Personally I was never able to watch any war movie other than the one my father took me to see in the cinema some... 46 yrs ago - "The Bridge on the River Kwai"...

• Like 2
13 hours ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

Well, I just posted because i thought some might be interested... Personally I was never able to watch any war movie other than the one my father took me to see in the cinema some... 46 yrs ago - "The Bridge on the River Kwai"...

Hey, I appreciate the heads-up. Have been wanting to see how bad the Star-Wars version of WWII combat *really* is; if it's free, I'm TOTALLY gonna watch it right now (as much as I can stand, at least).

Two random war movie suggestions that are likely streaming for free right now, and are great films: 1] Attack! (Lee Marvin, Jack Palance, Eddie Albert, Buddy Ebsen), and 2] Paths of Glory (was free recently, at least, on Roku channel or somewhere similar).

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Saw it when released - awful, awful film.

Aww, c'mon......don't be so salty. As long as it doesn't have Rock Hudson running around shirtless with young Yugoslav partisans, it can't be *THAT* bad.....can it? (Although I fear that it is, to be honest).

Well, I think I'm fire gonna fire up youtube & find out right now!

Pray for my sanity.....and my t.v. set (first backflipping P-51 may lead to a projectile remote control)

• Like 1
Guest deleted@210880

It's a crap movie in my opinion, but seriously, no reason for people to get their knickers in a twist. Just watch/do something else.

It's like any book/song/painting in the world, maybe you like it, maybe you don't.

1 hour ago, John_Yossarian said:

It's a crap movie in my opinion, but seriously, no reason for people to get their knickers in a twist. Just watch/do something else.

It's like any book/song/painting in the world, maybe you like it, maybe you don't.

This is the Internet, sir. Please register a more caustic and divisive opinion. Thank you. 

Made it through about ten-minutes of Midway 2019. Might have to try again as some people really liked it. Love the original. Need more movies with Henry Fonda and Charlton Heston. 

Watched The Battle of Britain last week. As always, excellent! And then you hum the tune while pershnitzing He-111s in your IL2 Spitfire. :pilot:

36 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

This is the Internet, sir. Please register a more caustic and divisive opinion. Thank you. 

Made it through about ten-minutes of Midway 2019. Might have to try again as some people really liked it. Love the original. Need more movies with Henry Fonda and Charlton Heston. 

Watched The Battle of Britain last week. As always, excellent! And then you hum the tune while pershnitzing He-111s in your IL2 Spitfire. :pilot:

What, exactly, makes BoB excellent in your opinion? I've read that same reply many times over the years, here and other flight sim forums. But no one really says why it's an excellent film. I've watched it many times too but only for the flying scenes. Those are mostly excellent. Still the it is marred by very poor special effects throughout the film. From horrible Spitfire mockups blowing up to unconvincing use of model aiplane Stukas and crashing He-111s.

I've mentioned before that many of the German characters in the film are cartoonish at best. The few featured are relatively unknown. At least to me. The only exception is Curt Jurgens and his part was rather small. Most of the British actors are excellent for the most part as nearly everyone was already an established star or one who was an up and coming star to be. The story itself tried to cover too much territory without any feeling of drama or suspense. For the time frame it was made, it doesn't hold a candle to Tora,Tora,Tora in its story telling, acting or special effects.

To counter that, I liked Red Tails. Not great but not as bad as some of you claim. So there. 😛

Edited by Rjel
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Rjel said:

What, exactly, makes BoB excellent in your opinion? I've read that same reply many times over the years, here and other flight sim forums. But no one really says why it's an excellent film.

😛

There's some style to it, it's fun, and it comes from that classic late 60s, early 70s war movie scene. It has Christopher Plumber and Laurence Olivier and Trevor Howard, it has great music, and it was actually filmed somewhere outdoors and not just created in a test tube. It's not without its cheese factor, but it still seems to hold up as good storytelling 50 years later. 

Just now, CanadaOne said:

There's some style to it, it's fun, and it comes from that classic late 60s, early 70s war movie scene. It has Christopher Plumber and Laurence Olivier and Trevor Howard, it has great music, and it was actually filmed somewhere outdoors and not just created in a test tube. It's not without its cheese factor, but it still seems to hold up as good storytelling 50 years later. 

I agree with the British actors being excellent. More star power there than 10 movies normally have. The martial music is overwhelming at times, completely drowning out the scene. As to its story telling, I think had the movie been based on a novel like "Squadron Airborne" written by Elleston Trevor, it could have conveyed the drama of the BoB much more effectively.

55 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I agree with the British actors being excellent. More star power there than 10 movies normally have. The martial music is overwhelming at times, completely drowning out the scene. As to its story telling, I think had the movie been based on a novel like "Squadron Airborne" written by Elleston Trevor, it could have conveyed the drama of the BoB much more effectively.

There can always be a potentially better version, but it's the version we have, and it's fun.

What make me impressed by it is the underwhelming heroic expression of it. 
It catch how it was. If people here cannot comprehend the purpose of that. Well go to Hollywood. 
He formally emptied the airfields for make do aircraft in order to not use filmclips from real airwar. He made a movie about bob that was to show how it was. Without John Wayne heroism, he showed naivety , terror of war, stupidity without any hollywoodish fantasy heroism. Excellent movie. I really liked it just for that. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

It's a crap movie in my opinion, but seriously, no reason for people to get their knickers in a twist. 

I scanned the thread again and only found one set of marginally twisted knickers...want to know who’s? ;)

• Haha 1

Redtails is a bad movie.  But I'm still glad it was made.  I just wish they would've used a better director and not as much CGI.  A decent director like Zwick, Coogler, Fuqua, Spielberg or Eastwood would've done wonders for the film.  The HBO made for TV "Tuskegee Airmen" is a much better film and sticks more closely to their actual history and what they had to go through:

The US Air Force just released a free docu-series on their website covering the Tuskegee Airmen as well:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
23 hours ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

any movie with real ww2 crates is worth checking it out. even if u have to turn the sound off and skip through some silly CGI at times

btw u gotta see Dark Blue World.. one of the best aviation related ww2 out there imho...

Edited by SCG_Tzigy
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Redtails is a bad movie.  But I'm still glad it was made.  I just wish they would've used a better director and not as much CGI.  A decent director like Zwick, Coogler, Fuqua, Spielberg or Eastwood would've done wonders for the film.  

Well it was a poor director and almost entirely (awful) CGI. Change both of those and you have an entirely new movie. ::)

The beginning of “Unbroken” is a good benchmark for what a movie featuring WWII aircraft should look like - or even “Dunkirk” despite it's obvious problems.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Well it was a poor director and almost entirely (awful) CGI. Change both of those and you have an entirely new movie. ::)

The beginning of “Unbroken” is a good benchmark for what a movie featuring WWII aircraft should look like - or even “Dunkirk” despite it's obvious problems.

Have to agree.  Another recent production used a good mix of CGI and real aircraft properly was "Catch 22" on Hulu, hopefully whenever Apple TV "The Mighty Eighth" is finally released its more along these lines instead of complete CGI fest which I'm fearing it may be, hope I'm wrong though...

Edited by DBFlyguy
Guest deleted@210880
2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I scanned the thread again and only found one set of marginally twisted knickers...want to know who’s? ;)

Based on the historical knickers twisting that's gone on before, not just this thread. No need to get all twisted.

37 minutes ago, John_Yossarian said:

Based on the historical knickers twisting that's gone on before, not just this thread. No need to get all twisted.

Ahh...so you moderate against potential or theoretical knicker twisting. Got it