I've just got my Reverb 2 and the main thing I was looking forward to was "flying" with IL2.  I've got it connected and working independently on my computer.  The virtual house and everything associated with that works just fine.  I had, and still have, no idea how to make it work with any of my IL2 stuff.  In the main setup I've clicked the box for VR.  The closest I've got so far is really a big nothing.  My IL2 screen from my monitor shows,  basically like a window, in the headset display but there's no interaction.

I'm obviously missing something important.  Help?

• Like 1

I posted this in the 3rd party sub-forum before realizing this might be more appropriate here.

I've just got my Reverb 2 and the main thing I was looking forward to was "flying" with IL2.  I've got it connected and working independently on my computer.  The virtual house and everything associated with that works just fine.  I had, and still have, no idea how to make it work with any of my IL2 stuff.  In the main setup I've clicked the box for VR.  The closest I've got so far is really a big nothing.  My IL2 screen from my monitor shows,  basically like a window, in the headset display but there's no interaction.  I'm not using the Steam version of the game if that makes any difference. 

Edited by martinlb

I posted this in the 3rd party sub-forum before realizing this might be more appropriate here.  And now I see my attempt at posting in the VR controllers thread went into simshaker.  I didn't mean to do that and I can't find a way to delete it.  My sincere apologies to the forum administrators!

I've just got my Reverb 2 and the main thing I was looking forward to was "flying" with IL2.  I've got it connected and working independently on my computer.  The virtual house and everything associated with that works just fine.  I had, and still have, no idea how to make it work with any of my IL2 stuff.  In the main setup I've clicked the box for VR.  The closest I've got so far is really a big nothing.  My IL2 screen from my monitor shows,  basically like a window, in the headset display but there's no interaction.  I'm not using the Steam version of the game if that makes any difference. 

Do you have Steam and Steam VR?

You need Steam VR installed.

Then grab Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

Also have a read here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5608-UPAH-6427

Once you install that, upon launching Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR it will launch both WMR and SteamVR for you.

Then you should be good to go. Just launch WMR for Steam VR, and after that is running launch IL-2 exe from your desktop.

Edited by dburne

@martinlb You need to install Steam and SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality. No need to launch Steam and SteamVR will start on it's own when VR begins.

First step is launch WMR and move the headset up/down/left/right for it to orient to your space. Minimize WMR window. Then, holding the headset up to eye level, click on IL2 icon on your monitor. As the game is loading put your headset on and adjust for fit. That's it.

The headset has a sensor that detects your face in the HMD and switches control of your mouse from desktop to VR. This doesn't always work and you need to press Win + Y to switch.

You'll need to adjust your SteamVR settings for the G2. For some reason they have the resolution 150% higher than native and it puts an undue load on your GPU. I'm currently using 48% with excellent results. Let me know if you need help with Super Sampling adjustments.

Cheers

Edited by QB.Gordon200

Yep you have to get into the Windows MR house lobby thing and then you choose VR on your steam program with your mouse, then from the Steam VR virtual lobby house thing you pick IL2 on the wall with your controller.  Only way it works as far as I know.  It's a strange setup but works fine.  You may have to tab out of this or that by pressing CRTL ALT DELETE or the ALT Y thing to get where you need to go.  It's a mess but does work.

You must have HMD enabled in the IL2 game, Steam VR and the Windows plugin downloaded and installed on steam.

Thanks so much, QB.  Is it the usual thing for an application that runs VR to require installation of a secondary program such as Steam?  My version of IL2 is something I bought directly from them and has nothing (or so I thought!) to do with Steam.

Also, I hope you can forgive a little ignorance; what is WMR?

Again, thanks!

21 hours ago, Madov said:

My understanding is that you need WMR for SteamVR which you need to run IL-2 in VR. Does that help?

Yes, I think it does.  Imagine me thinking since IL2 supports VR that I'd just plug my new headset in and use it!  😒

By the way, then, does this WMR take over the VR stuff?  Could I run other games, games that don't say they support VR, by using it?

The game/software certainly needs to be compatible with VR for you to use it that  way, this is where SteamVR comes in. WMR is only for certain brands of headset and is an interface from Microsoft, similar to a hardware driver, and that's why you also need the ancillary WMR for SteamVR to use your HMD in IL-2.

Any game/software that you want to run in VR needs to have a VR compatability layer either built in, in the case of DCS, or added on in the case of SteamVR which is the method that IL-2 uses. Originally when IL-2 BoS was in development, it was the case that Oculus was working with the developers in order for the flight sim to  work natively. When Facebook bought Oculus this partnership was dropped. You are right that IL-2 is not connected with Valve who run Steam but IL-2 requires the interface of SteamVR in order to use VR headsets. SteamVR is a very good interface and provides a lot  of functionality.

WMR is Windows Mixed Reality, the software that runs inside your HMD.

Edited by Madov
20 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

Yep you have to get into the Windows MR house lobby thing and then you choose VR on your steam program with your mouse, then from the Steam VR virtual lobby house thing you pick IL2 on the wall with your controller.  Only way it works as far as I know.

No, that is not the only way. Would really be strange that way if it was true. (I dont use VR controllers at all with IL-2.)

I for one like to install IL2 via steam and simply choose the "Launch in VR" option.

Edited by Gomoto
1 hour ago, Gomoto said:

No, that is not the only way. Would really be strange that way if it was true. (I dont use VR controllers at all with IL-2.)

I for one like to install IL2 via steam and simply choose the "Launch in VR" option.

That and if IL-2 is not the Steam version, it will not be listed on the wall in Steam VR.

You need to install Steam and SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality. No need to launch Steam and SteamVR will start on it's own when VR begins.

First step is launch WMR and move the headset up/down/left/right for it to orient to your space. Minimize WMR window. Then, holding the headset up to eye level, click on IL2 icon on your monitor. As the game is loading put your headset on and adjust for fit. That's it.

The headset has a sensor that detects your face in the HMD and switches control of your mouse from desktop to VR. This doesn't always work and you need to press Win + Y to switch.

You'll need to adjust your SteamVR settings for the G2. For some reason they have the resolution 150% higher than native and it puts an undue load on your GPU. I'm currently using 48% with excellent results. Let me know if you need help with Super Sampling adjustments.

Cheers

I've got all the necessary programs installed but still can't access IL2 from my VR "house".  I even did something where I got to a place to select my non-steam IL2, clicked its box, and got out of that.  Still can't see IL2 from my virtual "home" to be able to run it there.

Yeah, I've discovered and installed the Steam home.  I've wandered around until I did find the IL2 game my desktop icon points to.  Progress, a little bit at a time 😏.  I tried running it and ended up with a  umber of Windows dialogue messages saying another instance was already running.  I can smell it now.  Lol, never realized how much there'd be to learn and I'm grateful for the help I've gotten here.

2 hours ago, martinlb said:

Yeah, I've discovered and installed the Steam home.  I've wandered around until I did find the IL2 game my desktop icon points to.  Progress, a little bit at a time 😏.  I tried running it and ended up with a  umber of Windows dialogue messages saying another instance was already running.  I can smell it now.  Lol, never realized how much there'd be to learn and I'm grateful for the help I've gotten here.

Steam and especially Steam VR can be a bit convoluted.

I have had to reboot my PC more than once to get it to start playing nice again.

Well, I've finally got the VR working.  It's incredible.  Now I've got to figure out why my joystick isn't working.  It's as though it's not plugged in - no response to anything I do with it.  But, being able to turn my head and look around as the plane is flying - wow.  Maybe the G2 hand pieces are supposed to work like hands on the plane's control items?  Man, this is difficult going.  I guess I'll try a reboot since you said it made a difference for you dburne.

Edited by martinlb

The G2 hand pieces are not used for IL2. Glad to hear you are making some progress.

For the Joystick, Start IL2, go into Settings ->  Input -> Devices. Confirm that Joystick is ticked as the default device (not the Mouse).

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Joystick suggestion
19 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

The G2 hand pieces are not used for IL2. Glad to hear you are making some progress.

For the Joystick, Start IL2, go into Settings ->  Input -> Devices. Confirm that Joystick is ticked as the default device (not the Mouse).

Yeah, I've done that and even though on the settings everything looks like it's set for joystick, my joystick doesn't get recognized.  I've even used the control panel to make certain the joystick is working with the computer, and all's good there.

3 hours ago, martinlb said:

Yeah, I've done that and even though on the settings everything looks like it's set for joystick, my joystick doesn't get recognized.  I've even used the control panel to make certain the joystick is working with the computer, and all's good there.

Make sure joystick is disabled in Steam.

12 hours ago, dburne said:

Make sure joystick is disabled in Steam.

Ah!  Really?  Disabled?  Wow, I've never even looked at or for the Steam settings.  Thanks - I'll give that a go.  BTW I've realized I neglected to mention that the keyboard does give input to the game, so this sure looks like a joystick issue for me.

16 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Maybe a silly question but have you actually set up all the individual controls in IL-2? You can't just plug and play. 

15 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Is your JS in a USB 3.0 port?  (Blue port?]. Did you move it from its original port?

Yes, thanks, I've gone through the setup a few times - one of those to return to the default settings so I could start fresh and drop the changes I made before getting the G2.  And the joystick is in a 3.0 port, left that way from first using it.

Edited by martinlb

Turn off IL-2. Go into the IL-2 folder, navigate to "devices" file in the input folder (use local search to find it), delete that file. Go into Steam, verify integrity of game cache. 

Press Windows key, search for game controller, open the result, check that everything is visible. If it is visible: Now start IL-2, let it recognise the joysticks again.

That's the 100% working solution.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Turn off IL-2. Go into the IL-2 folder, navigate to "devices" file in the input folder (use local search to find it), delete that file. Go into Steam, verify integrity of game cache. 

Press Windows key, search for game controller, open the result, check that everything is visible. If it is visible: Now start IL-2, let it recognise the joysticks again.

That's the 100% working solution.

Sorry to be so confused.  Is the devices file you're referring to the "current.devices" file?  All I've been able to find is a "devices.txt" and the "current.devices" file.  I deleted both.

I haven't been able to verify the integrity of the game cache in Steam because I can't find a way to do that, despite doing a search on how to do it.  What I found in the search results didn't correspond to what I see on my system.

When I press the Windows key and open settings my joystick does show under the devices choice.

Doing everything but verifying the game cache didn't bring any changes.  I'm still being teased with sitting in a cockpit and having no control other than jump keyboard responses.

I feel like all I'm doing is spinning, and not the good way, in a fiery crash after being shot down.  😕

23 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

I would move the js to a usb2 port. Cold boot the machine. Remove And re plug back into same usb2 slot

Gave that a try as well.  No luck.  Thanks though.

Go into Steam, right-click on the name il2 from the list of your games on the left; in the popup box left click on properties... select local files from the top then click on the bottom button called, verify integrity of game files.

Thanks, again, for all the help.  I don't have any "Sturmovik" files in my Steam directory, most likely because I bought it directly from the developer, not through Steam.  It doesn't appear in my files in the shop - I'm sure for the same reason.  I can find it as a library item but there's no choice to verify its integrity.

Well, finally, it works.  It's amazing!  What I ended up doing was to buy the Sturmovik game that's on sale on Steam for around $10.  Not a big risk I thought.  I launched it, did the dual sign-in for the game  - which gave me access to my non-Steam purchases.  What I really wanted was the WW1 stuff I'd bought directly from the developers and I got it, along with all my other purchases.  I launched a quick mission and THE JOYSTICK WORKED!!! 

I can't say enough about how great it is.  Playing while using my monitor, even with joystick adjustments, my sights bounced all over the place.  I'd also lose my target after the first pass and waste incredible time and opportunities looking for it.  In VR I shot my target down in the first minute.  This is great, and I could go on and on but I'll spare you all that.

Thanks once again for all the time so many of you put into lending a hand and helping to get me going!  I very much appreciate that.

Edited by martinlb
  • Like 1