Game load time really long - normal?

Watch in hand game load time is 45 seconds. I mean firing up IL2 and getting to the main page here under.

After the fine red line at the bottom of the page during loading goes all the way from left to right it is still another 15 seconds before this page below comes up.

All the game is on fast NVMe SSD. Ram is 64Gigs very fast too and CPU is 9900K with Win10. Are my loading times normal?

2020_11_18__23_33_3.jpg.48cf766b85f5177c26c76b4931173e61.jpg

Yeah, normal.  They've increased steadily since I bought the game earlier this year, with each new update.

Slow for modern hardware, perhaps, but it's all a matter of perception.  I grew up on Apple 2, C64, and Atari ST and as far as I'm concerned, with what you get in this game, I'd say the wait is worth it.  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I was just thinking about this yesterday - even on my fastest SSD the game load times have grown quite notably. It's not a problem per se, but it's curious that the updates would cause such a considerable increase. Now if we're discussing problems, having the HUD enabled still eats as much as 20-25 FPS...

18 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Watch in hand game load time is 45 seconds. I mean firing up IL2 and getting to the main page here under.

After the fine red line at the bottom of the page during loading goes all the way from left to right it is still another 15 seconds before this page below comes up.

All the game is on fast NVMe SSD. Ram is 64Gigs very fast too and CPU is 9900K with Win10. Are my loading times normal?

9700K Windows LTSC, 40 sec, it was faster with 4.501 ...

Is there some way we individual users can help ourselves?  For example, limit the number of single missions and/or scripted campaigns left resident in the game.  As a matter of convenience I have moved some single missions to an external folder as the list of missions to select internal to the sim became too lengthy to be useful.  I anticipate moving them back to the "missions" folder at some time in the future.  I don't anticipate deleting them until re-saves no longer make them usable after future upgrades.  I also recall an event where I used a third party application which changed a setting which caused hundreds (if not thousands) of text files to be written to the app's main folder.  My logic is reducing the amount of work the app needs to open/perform.

• Upvote 1
On 11/19/2020 at 5:23 AM, Noisemaker said:

Yeah, normal.  They've increased steadily since I bought the game earlier this year, with each new update.

Slow for modern hardware, perhaps, but it's all a matter of perception.  I grew up on Apple 2, C64, and Atari ST and as far as I'm concerned, with what you get in this game, I'd say the wait is worth it.  ;)

Don't forget the 30 minutes worth of cassette loading only to have it error right at the end...😳

Though that pales in comparison with late 70's typing in a program from a book to my Apple IIe over a whole weekend only to have that crash.

These boys don't know the meaning of hardship...😄

Edited by Georgio
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I wondered about that too .... my mission folder is filled with unfinished business. A book-keeping tool would be nice ...

I thought of some script \ application that will read the statistics files and then mark missions it finds there with some prefix or suffix (e.g "singlePlayerMission1_done" or move them to backup folder, but these statistics record files do not show if player "won" or "lost" the mission, and they are hard to read because most of the data is encrypted...

Edited by Zeev
On 11/21/2020 at 12:57 AM, 76IAP-Black said:

Im using a SSD so my loading times are pretty short

How short? I have all on a M.2 1TB NVMe Samsung pro SSD, it's supposedly even faster than a 'normal' SSD ....

Edited by jollyjack