LukeFF

MW 50 and the Bf 109 G-6 Late

Currently, in career mode the Bf 109 G-6 Late is configured to always have MW 50 available, but it is not enabled by default for any mission type. Is there any time frame where it should be enabled by default? It's available up to mid-January 1945 with II./JG 11. My thought right now is to have MW 50 enabled from the start of the Rhineland campaign.

Thoughts?

Edited by LukeFF

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

My thought right now is to have MW 50 enabled from the start of the Rhineland campaign.

Thoughts?

According to Jean-Claude Mermet the MW-50 System for G6 machines was introduced 05/44. See page 103 of said book. He also mentions the temporary instructions for usage of MW50 for DB 605A and DB 605AS which dates to 6th May 1944 and got revised to the final form on 20th June 1944 by Daimler-Benz. So G6 late machines should have it activated accordingly in 05/44.

Ok for introduction in May 1944 but it doesnt mean all the G6 had it for the Battle of Normandy.

Does someone have an idea on how many % of them were retrofitted with MW50 system ?

5 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Ok for introduction in May 1944 but it doesnt mean all the G6 had it for the Battle of Normandy.

Does someone have an idea on how many % of them were retrofitted with MW50 system ?

Yes, this is what I'm trying to figure out. If the majority weren't fitted with MW 50, then it's best to just leave it the way it is right now.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, LukeFF said:

Yes, this is what I'm trying to figure out. If the majority weren't fitted with MW 50, then it's best to just leave it the way it is right now.

I´m pretty sure you won´t find any hard data on that. A G6 can be anything in that timeframe. Old G6, fresh from factory without MW 50, with MW 50, retrofitted by Erla Antwerp, etc. I´d go with a best guess and activate it at a small percentage which increases over time (if that is possible). 10% May, 20% June, 40% July/August, 60% September, etc..., each step per month, something like that if that is feasable.

12 hours ago, sevenless said:

I´m pretty sure you won´t find any hard data on that. A G6 can be anything in that timeframe. Old G6, fresh from factory without MW 50, with MW 50, retrofitted by Erla Antwerp, etc. I´d go with a best guess and activate it at a small percentage which increases over time (if that is possible). 10% May, 20% June, 40% July/August, 60% September, etc..., each step per month, something like that if that is feasable.

Thanks. There is kind of a way to have it increased over time, but the problem is that it's all or nothing - that is, all planes will have it enabled by default or they won't. So, you could have a morning mission where everyone has the MW 50 system installed, and then on the afternoon mission no one has it.

Like I wrote above, my thought right now is (for Normandy) have it available but not enabled by default; and then, once Rhineland begins, have it always enabled.

Another scenario could be to have it always be a 50/50 chance of it being enabled by default, throughout both Normandy and Rhineland. That's similar to how I have the rear gun mod set up on the 1942 version of the Il-2.

Edited by LukeFF

36 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Another scenario could be to have it always be a 50/50 chance of it being enabled by default, throughout both Normandy and Rhineland. That's similar to how I have the rear gun mod set up on the 1942 version of the Il-2.

I think I´d go with that 50/50 option of enabling it in BoN if you talk about AI planes in career mode and 100% for BoBP. The SP player however should be able to decide for himself everytime once that option is historically introduced.

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

I think I´d go with that 50/50 option of enabling it in BoN if you talk about AI planes in career mode and 100% for BoBP. The SP player however should be able to decide for himself everytime once that option is historically introduced.

Yes, the player always has that option, so long as the mod isn't grayed-out. 

• Upvote 1

mw50.thumb.jpg.17dd015ed1bafcac07a25c8681ad07a0.jpg

A snippet from a PDF that Mermet's put out on the web a number of years back.

Not sure how many G6/U2 conversions were done specifically.

• Thanks 1

I recall reading somewhere that the MW50 system was in short supply and it was not even fitted to all G-14 and/or many flew with the system empty due to short supply of the fluid, so not sure how many world have been retrofitted to the G-6?

making it default as of the Rhineland campaign would seem a good compromise.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Joch said:

I recall reading somewhere that the MW50 system was in short supply and it was not even fitted to all G-14 and/or many flew with the system empty due to short supply of the fluid, so not sure how many world have been retrofitted to the G-6?

making it default as of the Rhineland campaign would seem a good compromise.

Thanks. My plan right now is to have it available by default for Rhineland and 50 percent chance of it being available for Normandy. 

54 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Thanks. My plan right now is to have it available by default for Rhineland and 50 percent chance of it being available for Normandy. 

sounds about right. Don't remember now when exactly Normandy campaign starts but after April 50% chance would be good.