Map editing

Playing on the Bodenplatte map I have found a lot of stuttering, after trying several things and reducing the graphic quality a little, the performance has improved but it still happens a lot and I have realized that the reason is the large number of cities that this map has, my question is: is there any way to edit the map and remove some cities or some buildings to improve performance a bit? I have already tried reducing the quality of the entire landscape and does not help much.

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The only thing that worked for me was going to 32 gigs of RAM from 16.

I have 16 GB RAM and running the game at 4K default video settings at constant 60 FPS no stutters.

I would suggest checking your CPU, what model do you have? Also I would check if your drivers are up to date.

Edited by Zeev

Stuttering on Bodenplatte map was a problem for me too. I had a GTX 1060 with 3 GB of VRAM, and 8GB of System RAM. On the Bodenplatte map, the graphics card itself was not usually strained, but all of the VRAM was usually being used, and usually nearly all of the system RAM (6GB up high, 7.5 GB down low). 

The issue  for me seems to be the load on the VRAM of the GPU from all the detailed textures - probably the cities but other stuff too. When you exceed the VRAM on your card, the system starts using the system RAM, which is usually much slower. And then if your video card uses too much of the system RAM, the game has to use your actual hard drive, which is extremely slow. So there's a death spiral of sorts. 

I ended up upgrading my GPU and my RAM. Now Il-2 uses about 4 GB of VRAM on my card out of 6GB, and about 7.5 -8 GB System RAM at 1440p. With the same CPU, stutters are basically gone, except in really intensive scenarios - and that's because my card is probably marginal for 1440p (its a 1660 Super). 

So post your specs - chancse are, if your graphics card is low on memory, that's likely the main problem. Realistically, Battle of Bodenplatte requires 16 GB of RAM and a card with at least 4GB VRAM, they should probably update the minimum specs.

If you're not able to upgrade right now, I would try turning grass off completely (you'll barely notice it's gone), reduce your Clouds setting, turn down or off cockpit reflections, and if you're using MSAA, switch to FXAA. MSAA is very memory and GPU intensive, especially at higher resolutions.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ronny_schmidt*93 said:

Playing on the Bodenplatte map I have found a lot of stuttering, after trying several things and reducing the graphic quality a little, the performance has improved but it still happens a lot and I have realized that the reason is the large number of cities that this map has, my question is: is there any way to edit the map and remove some cities or some buildings to improve performance a bit? I have already tried reducing the quality of the entire landscape and does not help much.

Mission makers can reduce the number of buildings.  PWCG, for example, only puts buildings generally where the player might fly.   I am sure other mission makers do the same.  Once the mission is made you are either stuck with what you have or you go to the Mission Editor to remove things.

• Upvote 1
On 11/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, ronny_schmidt*93 said:

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions, I was comparing some of the equipment mentioned in this forum and I am definitely below what is required, the funny thing is that I only have these problems on the bodenplatte map.

As far as I know, the main limit is the CPU rather than the GPU or the RAM, so I think it is the amount of active objects in the map, like AA emplacements, other planes (bomers like the Pe-2, especially), vehicles, etc., what really makes the game stutter and drop FPS.

I use a and old i7-4790 and a GTX 1660 super and I manage to keep good FPS with VR, as long as I don't have 6+ bombers in front of me.