J2_Drookasi

Roundels and Crosses - Becoming and efficient WWI pilot in Flying Circus

Some people have offered and are still offering to the WW1 community in various ways. Below is my attempt to provide a guide that could prove useful to a new and even to a not so new player. It is all I would try to teach a new pilot before I take him to combat.

Please tolerate with any mistakes you might find. I am not a writer nor a professional pilot. And please remember that in certain parts of the book I express my own opinions which might not be universally accepted.

I still hope that by reading it a pilot will have an easier time in the WW1 virtual skies. Enjoy it!

Roundels and Crosses - Becoming and efficient WWI pilot in Flying Circus

At this point, I need to offer the appropriate credits to Johan Kylander’s book ‘In Pursuit: A Pilot’s Guide to Online Air Combat’, published in 2006. I had read this wonderful work back in 2011 and it had heavily influenced the way I treat the online air combat simulation gaming. This book had been my inspiration and primary reference material for ‘Roundels and Crosses’. Sections talking about the fear of the online death and of the online pilot’s psychology are mirroring Johan Kylander’s writings and in various pages one will find ideas very similar to the ones found ‘In Pursuit’. I do not claim the originality of those ideas and I have the sincere hope that I have treated ‘In Pursuit’ with the due respect. This paragraph has also been inserted in the introduction of the Roundels and Crosses. Thank you No56_Badger85 for pointing out my omission and for urging me to correct it.

Edited by J2_Drookasi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 14
  • Upvote 13

Thank you , a good read for the now soon cold winter evening here in the cold north of Europa , and Ill then come back and Salute you ( or kill you ) Mr Drookasi 👍😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is magnificent! A definitive work that each new player should have in their hands. Thank you so much for creating this! 😃

• Thanks 1

No matter how long you've been around RoF or FC, you are going to find something useful here. An excellent piece of work. Bravo! 🍻

• Thanks 1

Way more than a Dicta Drookasi 👍 Your squadron father would be proud!

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, I need all the help I can get!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words.

Please see the updated version of the pdf where I am including the appropriate credits as described in the first post of this topic.

Really amazing what you have put together here!

Thanks!

Edited by Oorpii
  • Thanks 1

I'm working my way through it now. Even if it describes things that I already put into practice, the simple act of giving words to the various thoughts and ideas can make it easier to understand what I am doing as I fly. Big thanks!

• Thanks 1

J2_Drookasi, what a fantastic resource! Thanks for applying these principles and your extensive experience to the WWI virtual flight sim arena. I look forward to reading Roundels and Crosses in full. It is an invaluable guide for pilots looking to improve their combat performance (like me 🙂).

You’re an absolute legend. I wish I’d had this four years ago.

It could form the basis for some new Waggaz Wings content if you’re interested. Your voice is far more commanding than my own!

This is perfect for those with a real interest in combat maneauvres. I have read 'In Pursuit' and this does it more than justice.

Congrats on a great piece of work.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

very useful and well written... food for thought as a relative noob on FC MP servers...

• Thanks 1

I would also like to thank you for this helpful guidance!

Reading it at the moment and learned many usefull things till now which I want to try to regard in my flights.

Best regards!

Edited by Panzer_Schultz
Typos

Just now, Panzer_Schultz said:

I would also like to thank you for this helpful guidance!

Reading it at the moment and learned many usefull things till now whicht I want to try to regarad in my flights.

Best regards!

Thank you for your kind comments.

• Thanks 1