Inspiration?

It's not thousands (or even hundreds) but Wingnut Wings and Ronny Bar's Profiles are somewhere else you could look at for inspiration. There's some limited WW2 sprinkled amongst the latter though. Both also have aircraft that are absent from Flying Circus but that would remain suitable for inspiration.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/9720A9872BFA31FC50F438CF906AEDDC

https://www.facebook.com/pg/RONNY-BAR-Aircraft-Profiles-166538664131/photos/?ref=page_internal

I guess depends on what your looking for in the fiction versus historical balance. But found them to be quite accurate when comparing to historical photographs of the aircrafts depicted. And along with the model instructions and archive photographs that the former provides they also seemed to be quite good for assisting in figuring out designs for serials, stencils and other markings that aircraft from particular builders would have on them.

And google and history books for photographs of course.

Edited by Oliver88

Speaking from the perspective of someone who prefers the 'historically believable' look:

It all depends on the aircraft! If you're doing a RFC / RAF aircraft, you'd probably want to go with standard PC10 with, maybe, a small name or legend written under the cockpit, or an identifying initial for the upper wing / fuselage side. If you're doing a Central ship however, you can get pretty creative - but pay attention to historical images of the kind of patterns and styles of imagery the Germans used! The Germans were very liberal with their personal markings, but an aircraft that is too complex, or uses colours they might not have had back then, or uses imagery that's too modern, is going to stick out like a sore thumb as a 'fictional' aircraft if you put it in among a line-up of historical aircraft. 

Another interesting approach that can generate some inspiration is looking into how and why the Great War pilots marked up their aircraft the way they did - for example, what colours of paints could they readily get their hands on, and what colours were hard to obtain? How was morale at the time? (An alb D.III is probably going to be a lot more gaudy than a Pfalz XII). Did they paint any personal markings, or did they just take what they were given with squadron markings pre-applied? (More likely for Entente services). A while ago I read that one of the reasons the RFC chose to disallow Central-style gaudy designs on their aircraft is because, simply, it made it way easier to tell who was who. "The dull, green ones are our boys, the bright, shiny ones are the Hun"!

(Funny story, I nearly accidentally TK'd a Camel once because he had really brightly coloured plane and I initially mistook him for a Hun because of it!) 

For my own personal SPAD XIII I read up on the USAS' orders for markings of aircraft. I then looked at a bunch of real USAS Spads to see where pilots had bent or broken the standard 'rules' for historical markings, and decided which ones I wanted to use for my own XIII

Edited by US93_Larner
3 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

Speaking from the perspective of someone who prefers the 'historically believable' look:

For my own personal SPAD XIII I read up on the USAS' orders for markings of aircraft. I then looked at a bunch of real USAS Spads to see where pilots had bent or broken the standard 'rules' for historical markings, and decided which ones I wanted to use for my own XIII

..and here it is

3PG2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the inspiration, guys. I took an initial swing at the Bristol and the SE5, mostly to make sure I know how to properly save a skin. I'll eventually make skins for all the planes, both Entente and Central. Something I need to accomplish with my personal skins: I need to be able to tell the difference between Kotori's video and my video at a glance. Some early videos I've made are hard to tell the difference between the two of us, so I added a colored stripe on the wing struts and a letter both on the top of the upper wing, and on the top and bottom of the lower wing. I also made a personal emblem (a helmet and gasmask for Gascan and a silver perched eagle for Kotori, which means Little Bird), though I haven't put it in place yet.

For the Camel and SE5a, I am planning on using colored noses similar RNAS10 and Ball, though I haven't gotten around to that yet. I may also put a bit of color on the tail as well as a chevron on the wing or fuselage, but not too gaudy. 

Kotori and I are both nuclear electricians serving on submarines, so I plan on including a few things related to that. I already put a radiation symbol on the wheels. I plan on putting a serial number related to the boats I have served on. Unfortunately, SSGN728 might look a bit odd since most serial numbers are a letter with four letters. I also just got orders to a new boat, so I may have to change the number next summer when I move. I also want to find a way to put a dolphinfish emblem somewhere, since the Submarine Warfare pin is of personal importance.

Bristol Test.jpg

SE5 Test.jpg

Edited by gascan
  • Like 1

Well I am making some progress while I stay up all night transitioning my sleep schedule from Swing Shift to Mid Shift. I'm focusing on getting the colored markings right now, since adding emblems and letters isn't too hard. Kotori prefers red, but I can then swap the colors pretty easily once I have them in the right spots while still maintaining the same basic paint job. Basic colored skins without personal markings might also be useful for Friday Night Flights on Combat Box, which has occasionally done WW1 missions. In case you're wondering, the colored bands on the struts are to make it easy to tell whether it's Kotori or me who is flying in any particular video, but they still require some tweaking.

I am having some trouble with the colors around the engine cowling when using the template for the SE5. The "Metal Parts Grime" layer seems to mostly wash out any color I put on, so I've made it somewhat transparent and used a much more vibrant blue to get it to appear at all. If I turn off that layer or make it too transparent, then the blue seems too plastic-ey and a bunch of metal parts (screws and hinges) disappear. I'm not sure what the best way is to get some color on the nose while still maintaining the weathered look of the rest of the plane.

Edit: Here's a few generic color variations, without any personalization, just for the sake of practice.

SE5 Test.jpg

SE5 Black.jpg

SE5 Blue.jpg

SE5 Green.jpg

SE5 Red.jpg

Edited by gascan
13 hours ago, gascan said:

In case you're wondering, the colored bands on the struts are to make it easy to tell whether it's Kotori or me who is flying in any particular video, but they still require some tweaking.

13 hours ago, gascan said:

Edit: Here's a few generic color variations, without any personalization, just for the sake of practice.

SE5 Test.jpg

Have you tested this in game and seen how the struts appear from the cockpit view with this skin? I've not done the SE5 so not sure whether this is relevant to this aircraft. But in the Camel at least the inner struts (and the Rotherham pump) are not using the aircrafts skin for the texture from the cockpit view. Good thing too (as they are better quality).

11 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

Have you tested this in game and seen how the struts appear from the cockpit view with this skin? I've not done the SE5 so not sure whether this is relevant to this aircraft. But in the Camel at least the inner struts (and the Rotherham pump) are not using the aircrafts skin for the texture from the cockpit view. Good thing too (as they are better quality).

It appears to be working just fine in the cockpit view, although I haven't tried any planes other than the SE5 yet. I'll try the Camel and maybe the Bristol tonight. There appears to be some issues with wrapping the color bands around both the inner and outer struts. If you look closely, you can see that the colored bands don't line up perfectly when the two sides meet up. I saw the same thing on all the skins that had paint on the struts, so it appears there is an imperfection in the way the skin maps to the model, not an issue with any particular skin. I ended up removing the striping from the struts closest to the cockpit because they are the most unusual mapping, and no amount of fiddling seemed to do the trick. Kotori suggested putting colored stripes on the wings rather than the struts. I could put something a thin stripe on the inside of the top wing, top and bottom wing, or all the way around the wing. The latter would make it impossible for me (blue) to fly with my own skin as part of a Red Squadron. Also, the blue I used matches the blue of the roundels, but the streamer is much lighter. 

Cockpit Test.jpg