Airborne Cargo Drops from the C-47a

Is my understanding correct that the current C-47 doesn't do airborne cargo/trooper drops? Forgive me if it's a known limitation at present but I can't find anything on it. Basically I've tried setting up a simple 1000m drop with cargo visibly onboard, tried using Command Attack Area from the last waypoint, with 'Attack Ground' checked, even tried 'Force Complete' etc with an event trigger to proceed to the next waypoint on 'BingoCargo' and nothing seems to work, only to have the formation circle above the attack zone.

If it's a work in progress then please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Edited by GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk

Furthermore; I noticed that in getting a flight of C-47's to take off from a large runway (Deurne near Antwerp on the Rheinland map), they line up 2 a-breast as per normal but no one aircraft is on the actual runway, all a/c taking off from the grass verges either side. I've not encountered this before with IL-2.

The C-47's have no problem with this it seems but I wanted to see if my mission was set up correctly to be able to at least drop cargo etc and so I merely changed the flight to Ju-52's to see if they'd drop their cargo/troopers and not only can I get them all to take off successfully (even by moving the takeoff point further down the runway or lowering the formation number). At least one and sometimes more just spins around after rolling, causing a mass pile up. And of course if the flight take off and one or more is left stranded on the runway, they won't perform their mission objectives. I then changed

aircraft type again to fighters (spitfires) and same thing happens.

Is there now a problem in the AI with formation take offs?

My question re. the C-47's dropping cargo now seems a long way off all of a sudden.

10 minutes ago, DN308 said:

Isn’t there a box to check like for the Ju52?

I'm not sure I follow you. I selected all 6 C-47's together and changed the 'model' to ju-52 and obviously went in and set up cargo carried and lowered the speeds and height to accommodate such a slow plane but not sure what you mean by a box to be checked 🤔

Hello @GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk - I've tested the C47 cargo drop and the take off procedures of a C47 and it's working for me. Attached below is the mission that I tested. The mission files go in:

C:\...\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Missions\

Feel free to reverse engineer or use my groups as you see fit.

C47 Tests.zip

Some things to note as I built the mission:

• 400 meters may be too low or 500 meter attackArea MCU may be too small, as the c47s attempted to pitch up when they started their cargo drops.
  • Give plenty of space between your Waypoint MCU and your attackArea MCU.
  • The 14x cargo containers are inside the plane and the 6x cargo containers are outside the plane on the fuselage. This could potentially effect the speed of the C47.
  • The C47's take off procedure is very long. Keep that in mind when building a mission.

Here's the video:

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sketch this is a wealth of information and together with your video, you've clearly gone out of your way to help out here and I'm so very grateful indeed. Thank you very much sir. I can't wait to dissect this and try it out later and to figure out where I'm going wrong with it. Again ... many many thanks for your time and effort 😃 

• 2 weeks later...

in all my testing, if I had a loadout of c47a_6  AND c47a_cargo, there was a very good chance the plane at some point would just nose dive into the ground 

the c47a_14 dropped fine every time.  the c47a_6 pods dropped 75% of the time.

Edited by WWSitttingDuck
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I am currently working on a mission with an airborne supply drop (drop altitude: 1000m).

The AI do the job but when testing, I realize that the dropped cargo disappear after a short time, while it is still in the air.

Am I missing something? For the sake of consistency, I would like these cargos to at least reach the ground before disappearing.

I checked the planes properties, the "delete after death" is not checked (should this option apply to cargo or paratroopers).

Thanks,

6 minutes ago, AV_Warpig said:

Hi there,

I am currently working on a mission with an airborne supply drop (drop altitude: 1000m).

The AI do the job but when testing, I realize that the dropped cargo disappear after a short time, while it is still in the air.

Am I missing something? For the sake of consistency, I would like these cargos to at least reach the ground before disappearing.

I checked the planes properties, the "delete after death" is not checked (should this option apply to cargo or paratroopers).

Thanks,

If the cargo is disappearing before it hits the ground, there is nothing the mission designer can do about that. I would record the actions to a track/video, and submit a bug report to the devs.

I had the same issue of cargo disappearing in mid air.

When on the ground it should stay there and not disappear in 10 seconds, or we should have the choice to tick a box to have it staying permanently or just say one minute before disappearing.