A quick 8KX review in IL-2

I recently had a HP Reverb G1 HMD but while it was good I could no longer live with the very restrictive FoV.  I had a Pimax 5K+ prior to the G1 and while overall the G1 was better the FoV was always an issue.

So I bought an 8KX that took almost a year to deliver.  Thankfully people who order now will not have to wait anywhere near as long.  The 8KX is as clear as G1 with better sweet spot (G2 is alleged to improve the sweet spot over the G1).  From a hardware perspective you will need a beefy PC.  I have a RTX 2080 and 3900X CPU with DDR 3733 RAM and the 8KX requires medium settings to get a solid 75 Hz (8KX rated Hz which is actually fine).  Th 8KX also works very poor with reprojection so that is not an option.  There is an option to switch to upscaled mode with 1440p and 114 Hz but to be honest I tried that once and it was a very noticeable drop in clarity.

1. 8KX has much better FOV even on small setting.
  2. 8KX uses lighthouse tracking which gives more accuracy.  Especially in low light conditions.
  3. 8KX has issues with setup and it took me a few days to get the IPD offsets etc correct.  It is most certainly not a plug in and play VR option, though once you have it setup it is not an issue.
  4. 8KX audio is poor and just about adequate.
  5. If you have a low IPD then the 8KX may never be clear for you due to the angled displays.  I have an IPD of 63 and I would say any lowere is going to be a problem for people.
  6. 8KX while decent for comfort is heavier than a G1 (and a G2).
  7. 8KX is very expensive and here in the UK was subject to £110 import fees.  For a complete set with Vive Index controllers and lighthouses you are looking at well over £1500.
  8. Pimax as a company are a total joke and outright lie to their customers.  I cannot call this any other way, it is no longer good enough and their ethics and support have always been poor.  At first I gave them some slack as they were new but that no longer applies as they have been at this for years and should have shown at least some improvements in how they run their business.
  •       Ignored support tickets
  •       Ignored PMs to support
  •       Missing face cushions that were promised
  •       Lying about delivery dates

Be aware the 8KX will require a very powerful PC to run it.  Ironically CPU is not a bottleneck at these resolutions, so a GPU is all that matters.  For higher graphical settings my RTX 2080 is not up to the job, PERIOD and even a 2080Ti with ~25% extra performance may not be enough.  So an RTX 3080 or upcoming AMD 6800XT will be recommended.

If clarity and FoV are your main reason for VR then a G2 will not be able to deliver that, at least from my G1 experience.  I ultimately could not live with the very restrictive FoV a "normal mainstream" VR HMD offers and a Vive Index was just not sharp enough.  So my only option was 8KX and overall it is a good HMD, just Pimax are a crap company.

For that reason I would not recommend an 8KX for those on a budget or for the faint of heart.  If you can overlook the issues with Pimax and the pain of setting up an 8KX then by all means you will get a very good HMD.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

If the G2 offered even 15 degree extra horizontal FoV I would have been all over it.  I can live with the tracking as I do not do room scale, I even played Hal Life Alyx sitting using a G1.  I am 52 now and standing while gaming hurts my knees and back. :(

8 hours ago, ICDP said:

Ironically CPU is not a bottleneck at these resolutions, so a GPU is all that matters

From the last referred redenring they unload a bit the CPU and load more the GPU. 

In 90% of the time the usual scenario of a mission is not heavy and CPU is not the constraint. But in dense scenarios CPU is still bottlenecking IL-2 (in VR and high freq monitors).

Perhaps VR devices with larger FOV could require more polygons to be drawn (per eye) and they could be a bit more demanding than narrow FOVs devices.

22 hours ago, ICDP said:

If the G2 offered even 15 degree extra horizontal FoV I would have been all over it.  I can live with the tracking as I do not do room scale, I even played Hal Life Alyx sitting using a G1.  I am 52 now and standing while gaming hurts my knees and back. :(

Jesus, I hope you get well mate. Keep eating those arthrosol capsules and eat fish twice a week. Had an accident which got my knee cap when young (healed but took a while), feeling your pain man. 

Regarding the G2, and 8KX, I will put a lot of focus especially on the lenses and picture quality. FOV is undisputedly the king on the 8KX, and the resolution is incredible as well. But, even though I had set my 8KX up correctly, it has problems with its lenses. Concentric halo-style strong glare along the Fresnel rings, a small sweet spot, and mura problems. As if they have no quality control at all.. the disparity between their batches seems massive. More to that once the G2 arrives though, direct comparison is necessary, of all points.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 8:43 PM, ICDP said:

So an RTX 3080 or upcoming AMD 6800XT will be recommended.

Even a 3090 struggles if you want to hit 75hz consistently at high preset.

I had to lower a lot of settings and reduce the FoV from large to normal which is still heaps more than the G2 and index.

If you want to increase settings more you'd have to lower FoV to small which is around 130deg horizontal. I can't stand that FoV 150deg is my cut off point.

I have a feeling that it will take another 3 generations to max out everything that is easily noticed and with any luck be able to crank SS a little higher but that will decrease the effectiveness of spotting.

In game AA would probably yield better results for spotting but it is way too heavy.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, ICDP said:

I am 52 now and standing while gaming hurts my knees and back. :(

Keto diet. It's not really a diet, it's a total transformation of nutrition. Youtube Dr Berg.

Sorry for the OT but maybe somebody gets saved from crippling arthritis.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

Keto diet. It's not really a diet, it's a total transformation of nutrition. Youtube Dr Berg.

Sorry for the OT but maybe somebody gets saved from crippling arthritis.

There can be complications related to use of those diets that might not be a transformation you would enjoy.

8 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

There can be complications related to use of those diets that might not be a transformation you would enjoy.

Transformed me. More physical and mental energy, aches and pains gone, losing weight. I'm 60. 

Lol, this thread is doomed.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer