Photo

Cockpit At-A-Glance Reference Cards

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#81 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2014 - 21:58

If you switch to gear 2 at 3500 meters you lose about 25-30 km/h top speed as opposed to sticking to gear 1. And that's quite a big of a disadvantage.

Right, I see what you mean now. I was only looking at the change in manifold pressure and not the speedometer. :blush:  

#82 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:55

Does anyone else have information about what these are?  They don't function in game, but I would like to know for curiosity's sake...

%23_What%20are%20these.JPG

I wonder if the grey wheels are manual trim wheels for if the electronic trim switches fail?  As for the red levers, I have no clue...

The labels on these wheels are (Google) translated as:

Upper wheel (seems a kind of fuel cock)

закрыть = CLose
гАЗ = Gas
откр = Open

The lower (the middle label dont make much sense - maybe relative to mixture...?):

богато = Richly
высотный = Altitudinal, Hight-Rise
бедно = Poor

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1, 16 July 2014 - 05:07.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#83 Saurer

Saurer
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2014 - 20:25

I think it could be usefull for new players to make also a reference which controlles they need to set up for each individual plane.

Edited by saurer, 16 July 2014 - 20:25.

#84 AndyJWest

AndyJWest
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2014 - 20:29

закрыть = CLose
гАЗ = Gas
откр = Open

The lower (the middle label dont make much sense - maybe relative to mixture...?):

богато = Richly
бедно = Poor

Sokol1

The labels look to me as if they apply to the adjacent controls - I think the wheels may just be control friction adjusters.

#85 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2014 - 22:13

Though since todays patch the yaks flap control does not move the flaps at all.

Yak 1 flaps are working ok for me. Maybe your airspeed was too high for them to deploy?

I have not checked this as I have not had occasion to even launch the game in the past week, but Hot_Pursuit has a good question; the flaps in the Yak-1 are pneumatic not hydraulic, so they will not deploy if your speed is too high.  IL-2 is the same I believe.  Seren if you happen to check again please let us know what you find?

закрыть = CLose
гАЗ = Gas
откр = Open

богато = Richly
бедно = Poor

Sokol1

Dakpilot (and after your post, AndyJWest) posited that they were friction control wheels to adjust the stiffness of the levers next to them.  The blue levers are the mixture controls, and the black levers are the throttles, and that fits well with your google translations of 'richly' and 'poor' (rich/lean mixture), and 'altitudinal/high-rise' would be in reference to adjusting your fuel mixture based on altitude.  'Open'/'close' on the 'gas' control clearly means open/close on the fuel flow, aka throttle.  My initial guess earlier in the thread was that they might be manual trim wheels for elevator and rudder trim in case the electric controls malfunction, but i think friction control wheels for the adjacent mixture and throttle levers is a much more likely answer.

I think it could be usefull for new players to make also a reference which controlles they need to set up for each individual plane.

I agree!  Get to work on it!   :biggrin:  But more seriously, controls are set globally, not set individually for each plane.  One should set up all all of his controls and then by looking at the cards it is quite simple to see which controls a plane has and which it doesn't.  The controls every pilot should have set:  

pitch; roll; yaw; throttle; mixture; RPM; prop pitch (auto/manual and up/down); flaps; landing gear; tail-wheel lock; wheel brakes; dive brakes; elevator, aileron, and rudder trims; horizontal stabilizer adjustment (used only in 109s in place of elevator trim, and I suggest binding it to the same keys/axis as elevator trim); supercharger gear; MW50/forsazh injection; water radiator; oil radiator; cowl shutters; MG's; cannons; rockets; bomb release; bomb-bay doors; engine start (magnetos); landing light; nav lights; cockpit lights; all your view and interface controls; and of course, CTRL-E for engine boost!!   :lol: 

I have probably missed a couple, I am certain these are not all the exact names you will find in the game UI, and more controls will need to be bound as new features come into use, like the dive siren and the bombsight controls.

Thanks again for all the feedback and help you gentlemen are all offering!

-Lode

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 16 July 2014 - 22:53.

#86 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 18 July 2014 - 00:03

Dakpilot (and after your post, AndyJWest) posited that they were friction control wheels to adjust the stiffness of the levers next to them. 

The "funny thing" is that I had found a drawing that say this (friction),  but I paid no attention - due his simplicity... :P

21n1j6d.jpg

http://www.airpages.ru/ru/pe2_11.shtml

фрикционный тормоз = friction brake

Sokol1

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#87 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 30 July 2014 - 19:19

Thanks for these very helpful guides ive only had the sim a few days , these are very useful.

#88 pilotpierre

pilotpierre
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:39

Thanks for these very helpful guides ive only had the sim a few days , these are very useful.

I assume you are the same "Buglord" from way back when??

Intel i5 2500K, Gigabyte GA-P67A, 16GB Corsair 1600MHz RAM, Corsair 120GB SSD, Gigabyte ODIN 800W PSU,Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB card, Win7 Pro 64bit, CH Combat Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH rudder pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, TIR5.

#89 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:55

I assume you are the same "Buglord" from way back when??

Yes the one & the same m8 :)

#90 pilotpierre

pilotpierre
  • Founder

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:41

If memory serves me correctly I had a shitload of your skins?

Intel i5 2500K, Gigabyte GA-P67A, 16GB Corsair 1600MHz RAM, Corsair 120GB SSD, Gigabyte ODIN 800W PSU,Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB card, Win7 Pro 64bit, CH Combat Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH rudder pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, TIR5.

#91 II./JG1_Lipfert

II./JG1_Lipfert
  • Founder

Posted 01 August 2014 - 15:22

Lodebeard,

Thank you very much for these, they are wonderful.

S!

4OGMXfg.png

#92 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:00

If memory serves me correctly I had a shitload of your skins?

I Skinned a lot back then, have not done it in years...im into the plastic kind now :)

#93 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:19

If you switch to gear 2 at 3500 meters you lose about 25-30 km/h top speed as opposed to sticking to gear 1. And that's quite a big of a disadvantage.

I've no idea how it works in '46, but that's how it works in BoS. All graphs i've seen of the La-5 also show that its lowest speed (between the critical altitudes of the supercharger gears) is somewhere around ~4000-4200 meters and that's the best altitude to switch to the other gear in BoS too.

Thanks Matt I will amend this in the next revision.

The "funny thing" is that I had found a drawing that say this (friction),  but I paid no attention - due his simplicity... :P

Ha that is funny, but I'm glad we have it sorted out with certainty now :)

I'm glad you appreciate them, and I had a bunch of your skins too, I believe.  If I recall correctly you gave me permission to redistribute some of them in a skin pack, so thank you as well.  I hope we get to see some of your work in the skies over Stalingrad in the future...  Welcome to the IL-2 Renaissance!! 

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 07 August 2014 - 02:20.

#94 Buglord

Buglord
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:45

I hope to start skinning for BOS i have not skinned since 2007 lodebeard .. :)

#95 RainMan

RainMan
  • Founder

Posted 16 August 2014 - 21:01

Very useful, indeed. Thanks for these reference cards. 

Callsign: "RainMan"

PC: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz @ 4.8GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB | ASUS Maximus VII Hero | G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1

#96 Clickenhof

Clickenhof
  • Founder

Posted 18 August 2014 - 23:04

Many thanks for your efforts. 

#97 trindade

trindade
  • Founder

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:47

Very useful, thanks for your efforts :thank_you:

#98 FlatSpinMan

FlatSpinMan

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:22

How did I not see this thread until now?! This is so, so helpful. Thanks, you guys. These are superb.

=============================================================

"I own BOS and can see where the team is trying to take us. I approve of their vision. I will get early access again which is fun for me even more than it is important in any way. I get to see the new aircraft and maps as they occur and that is a form of excitement on a nearly weekly basis through development. In short, it is FUN for me to have early access and I am willing to open my wallet to get it. It is a reasonably well informed purchase." - Herr Murf

#99 Mungee

Mungee
  • Founder

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:41

Dear =RkSq=Lodebeard

Thanks for these fantastic cockpit diagrams - any chance that you'll be doing one for the Fw 190?

#100 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:41

Any idea of whether there will be Fw190 and He111 cockpits too?

These sheets are VEEEERy useful and I use them with all my planes :) 

I want to learn more about the He111 engine settings (RPM and manifold pressure)

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#101 Breezy1

Breezy1
  • Founder

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:30

I want to learn more about the He111 engine settings (RPM and manifold pressure)

Yes please^^^

#102 Chuck_Owl

Chuck_Owl
  • Founder

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:23

This is so ridiculously useful! Thanks a ton, mate!

#103 wellenbrecher

wellenbrecher
  • Founder

Posted 26 August 2014 - 18:34

Thank you for these! :> 

Very handy to have, even when you already know most of the things it's good to have something to quickly look up the hard facts when in doubt.

Judging a game by the scores from Metacritic's population of zit pickers, kiddy fiddlers and closet nazis is like gauging a racial minority's right to exist based solely on youtube comments

#104 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • Founder

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:48

Brilliant work. Can't believe I've only just noticed this.

Definitely going to print these off for quick reference.

#105 LLv32_kankkis

LLv32_kankkis
  • Founder

Posted 27 August 2014 - 14:06

Yes please, those are superb.

#106 Pupo

Pupo
  • Founder

Posted 28 August 2014 - 15:10

hello!

first of all thank you so much for this. makes flying much easier!

second, may i request a max water and oil Temp for each plane to be added? also the yak is missing recommended Manifold pressure for climb and transit.

cheers!

#107 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 29 August 2014 - 17:24

Thanks for these fantastic cockpit diagrams - any chance that you'll be doing one for the Fw 190?

Yes I will be doing them; it has simply been a matter of prioritizing.  I have been extremely busy with a new position in my job, and I was also becoming frustrated that as soon as I perfected a card 777 would make some small change.  I decided to slow down and do updates less often so I was not continually revising and checking them.  I definitely plan to make cards for the Heinkel and FW, be sure ;)

first of all thank you so much for this. makes flying much easier!

second, may i request a max water and oil Temp for each plane to be added? also the yak is missing recommended Manifold pressure for climb and transit.

First - you are quite welcome!  All of you who have thanked me with such enthusiasm are very welcome - I continue to be gratified by all the love you all are showing my little project :)

Secondly, the missing data is because I poached all my data from SYN_Requiem and pilotpierre.  The numbers for climb, transit, etc came from pilotpierre's notes which Requiem only added to his videos after making his first couple of videos, so some of that data is missing.  I have not had the time nor inclination to do the testing and research necessary to find those values, but if you have numbers to give me I will be glad to include them if they check out :)  As for the max temps, that is a good idea.  Hopefully I can find room; a couple of those cards are getting quite cluttered, and I dislike clutter.  Oh well, that is the nature of trying to smush all the valuable information possible onto one computer screen.

These are still really a WIP - the game is still in pre-release so I hope you all will be patient with me and consider my cards to be in 'pre-release' as well :P

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 29 August 2014 - 17:28.

#108 Pupo

Pupo
  • Founder

Posted 29 August 2014 - 19:36

well, take your time, apparently FM's change every other week for now, so waiting for the final release, and keeping these as a teaser, is a good idea.

I might try to find out the limits for the yak 1b in particular since i'm inclined to make this plane my main ride for the USSR. AS for the extensive testing, i'm with you, i praise those with bravery and patience to do it, but i dont fancy doing it myself :P

Cheers, and thanks one more time

#109 Ace_In_Exile

Ace_In_Exile
  • Founder

Posted 03 September 2014 - 22:17

Many thanks for the explanation. Really useful!  :happy:

"Gloria Fortis Miles

"Death In The Shape Of A Panzer Battalion" 

#110 Stab/JG54_Graphite

Stab/JG54_Graphite
  • Founder

Posted 14 September 2014 - 16:15

I decided to slow down and do updates less often so I was not continually revising and checking them.  I definitely plan to make cards for the Heinkel and FW, be sure ;)

Thanks, awesome work! Can you share psd files, i`d like to make translation on russian.

ozk4C6l.png    LuUtTTt.gif  Jagdgeschwader 54

wir halten zusammen keiner kämpft allein, 

wir gehen zusammen nicht allein.

#111 Wulph

Wulph
  • Founder

Posted 16 September 2014 - 23:20

These reference cards are fantastic!  Really nice work.

#112 FJG300_Ice

FJG300_Ice
  • Founder

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:36

Great work ! Many thanks to all of you. By the way, i'm looking for detailled cockpit of the Fw 190 A3 & He-111 H6. An idea maybe ?

Thanks guys & have a good fly.

#113 Trooper117

Trooper117
  • Founder

Posted 05 October 2014 - 21:18

Thanks for the time and effort put into these, great work!

IL2.jpg

#114 mbv

mbv
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2014 - 20:33

Just found these and they helped loads with the complex engine management - thanks !

#115 -805-DNA-Decay

-805-DNA-Decay
  • Founder

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:32

Choice Work.

"If a job's worth doing, it's worth half doing twice" - Homer.

Decay_Sig_BOS.jpg

#116 Kawack

Kawack
  • Founder

Posted 15 October 2014 - 23:05

Great job!! Thanks!

#117 scotsmanFlyingscotsman

scotsmanFlyingscotsman
  • Founder

Posted 20 October 2014 - 21:38

Work of art Lodebeard, I'm not much good with Russian aircraft, I can put these on another screen and I'm sorted, thank you

#118 RaFiGer

RaFiGer
  • Founder

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:52

Thank you very much :)

I'm just started my campaign mode and These are really a good help!!!

Greetings from Germany - Привет из Германии

RaFiGer

http://rafiger.de/

#119 SvAF/F19_Helmet

SvAF/F19_Helmet

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:43

F19_Helmet
Thank You very much!

#120 Bearcat

Bearcat

Posted 08 December 2014 - 14:36

Oh man these are great!