Cockpit At-A-Glance Reference Cards

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 31 May 2014 - 16:01

This is so helpful! Thanks!

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#42 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 03 June 2014 - 15:41

I assume the two green "wheels" are friction locks/control for the levers next to them

excellent guides thank you very much :cool:

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#43 =FI=Blue2

=FI=Blue2
  • Founder

Posted 04 June 2014 - 00:27

Yup, these are truly outstanding.  I had created a couple of my own & just began sharing them with my squad.... but these are FAR better.  Linking them in our forums.  Thanks Lodebeard for the terrific work - and for saving me a LOT more time!

I really appreciate ppl like Requiem, PPierre and lodebeard...

+++++1!

#44 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:11

I was interested in seeing the manifold pressure on the Yak1 and I noticed its the only one missing wiht the LaGG3.

Does anyone know how many mmHg for climb/transit/combat for the Yak 1?? (and LaGG too if possible)

Thanks!

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#45 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:07

I assume the two green "wheels" are friction locks/control for the levers next to them

I think that is a very good guess.

I was interested in seeing the manifold pressure on the Yak1 and I noticed its the only one missing wiht the LaGG3.

Does anyone know how many mmHg for climb/transit/combat for the Yak 1?? (and LaGG too if possible)

I have been intending to do some more testing so I can add the missing pieces of data, just like this one.  I am out of town on business but I will be back by the end of the week and will try to do the testing on the weekend.  

From memory though, I find the engine on the Yak to be very rugged.  With the RPM set at 2600 and both radiators open, you can run the engine at maximum manifold pressure pretty much indefinitely (at least in wintertime)  I do not remember the exact pressure, but I usually climb at 2600 RPM & 95% throttle, but I can't recall precisely how many millimeters of mercury that is.  Also that depends a lot on altitude...

Please, if others have their own ideas about engine settings, feel free to share them.  For instance, since making these cards I have been flying the Yak a lot more, and I have come to find that I almost never cruise at 1700 RPM.  When I am online in a dogfight server I rarely drop Yak's RPMs below 2200.  So 1700 RPM could be seen as a minimum cruise RPM, not the target RPM.  Also, I have started switching to stage 2 on the supercharger much lower than 2000 m when I'm in a hurry.  Watch your manifold pressure and you can see that you get significant pressure drop-off well below 2000m

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 10 June 2014 - 05:58.

#46 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:55

I do not know what those are, 6high.  I wonder if the grey wheels are manual trim wheels for if the electronic trim switches fail?  As for the red levers, I have no clue...

Does anyone else have information about what these are?  They don't function in game, but I would like to know for curiosity's sake...

%23_What%20are%20these.JPG

Those red levers are the emergency fuel shutters.

#47 Taxman_Tom

Taxman_Tom
  • Founder

Posted 04 June 2014 - 13:19

Fantastic! :) Thank you so much

#48 FS_Fenice_1965

FS_Fenice_1965
  • Founder

Posted 06 June 2014 - 17:14

Lode you haven't missed your great talent, even if years are passing...... ;)

Nice work ! 

#49 Warpig

Warpig
  • Founder

Posted 06 June 2014 - 18:04

Awesome work! :salute:

Fat Black Mamba Mk.III Limited Edition Flight Stick - T-Rudder Mk.III Pedals - X56 Rhino Throttle - TrackIR 5

#50 4./JG52_Neun

4./JG52_Neun
  • Founder

Posted 06 June 2014 - 18:22

Super nice...THanks!

toplogosac.png

botlogosac.png            

ComeCheck Us Out!

#51 Sandhill

Sandhill
  • Founder

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:09

Thank you thank you :salute:

#52 Asparagin-

Asparagin-
  • Founder

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:15

Thanks for your work!

#53 Jantzen

Jantzen
  • Founder

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:45

Thank you very much!!!

#54 Klaue

Klaue
  • Founder

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:50

S! Thank you for your work.

#55 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:54

** UPDATE **

-Removed nicknames.  They are not vital data and were cluttering things up.

-added throttle warning to Stuka card

Stay tuned for the La-5 cockpit card (COMING VERY SOON!)

Those red levers are the emergency fuel shutters.

Thanks!

Is there a ink to the complex engine management tutorials?

Please see the original post, where there is a link to the SYN_Requiem's cockpit familiarization videos from which many of the engine managements notes are drawn.  You can see PilotPierre's notes as annotations at the beginning of most of the videos.  Requiem has loads of other tutorials as well, so take a look at his wider YouTube channel.  

Lode you haven't missed your great talent, even if years are passing...... ;)

Nice work ! 

Thank you old friend.   I am very happy you like them!  And I am proud to know you continue to carry the torch at Skies~of~Valor :)

~Salute!

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 10 June 2014 - 07:57.

#56 =BLW=Mutley

=BLW=Mutley
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:16

Great job :biggrin: 

#57 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 13 June 2014 - 00:01

**UPDATE**

La-5 (Series 8)

(engine management notes not quite finished yet)

La-5%20%28ser.8%29%20cockpit.jpg

#58 Zoring

Zoring
  • Founder

Posted 13 June 2014 - 00:32

Very nice Lode, keep them coming!

#59 Zami

Zami
  • Founder

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:07

Great job!

Intel 6700k@4.6Ghz // Asus z170 Pro Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz DDR4 // GTX 1080 // Crucial MX100 256GB SSD // 34" Dell U3415W 3440x1440 // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Saitek X-52 // Win10-64bit

#60 RedEye_Tumu

RedEye_Tumu
  • Founder

Posted 14 June 2014 - 22:06

Thx for help

Edited by RedEyeTumu, 14 June 2014 - 22:06.

#61 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:43

**UPDATE**

Added units for oil and fuel pressure gauges (and nitrogen pressure in Pe-2)

#62 skouras

skouras
  • Founder

Posted 18 June 2014 - 22:38

Hello,

Thanks for info.

For two red levers I saw this here :

http://forum.il2stur...-pe-2-serie-87/

it says something like firestop cock valves

nice thanks!

w7pro(64bit)-i7 4770k-16giga Ram-GTX 970 ASUS STRIX

#63 DeSoto

DeSoto
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2014 - 14:25

Fantastic, much appreciated.

#64 mac10lvrKukilla

mac10lvrKukilla
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2014 - 18:03

Thanks for these! As a a casual flight sim participant who has now become addicted to the genre these really help out, many thanks to all those like yourselves for helping newbies like me.!

#65 G8_Yuriks

G8_Yuriks
  • Founder

Posted 23 June 2014 - 17:34

SYN_Requiem

SYN_Requiem and  =RkSq=Lodebeard big thank you, you tutorials and pictures can be used for real pilot training!  :salute:

#66 afergusonFerg

afergusonFerg
  • Founder

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:30

Many thanks Lodebeard, a great help, please keep them coming.

#67 Endy

Endy
  • Founder

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:33

Thanks very much for these, very useful. :)

#68 Karost

Karost
  • Founder

Posted 01 July 2014 - 14:47

Thank you  :biggrin:

#69 Seren77

Seren77
  • Founder

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:44

Very helpful thank you

#70 Seren77

Seren77
  • Founder

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:16

I can't edit my post above, sorry for the double. 

The Flap control in the Yak is the wrong way around in the diagram.

#71 MADOV

MADOV
  • Founder

Posted 04 July 2014 - 18:47

Yes, the flap control in the Yak is forward to activate the flap function, ie to lower the flaps, and backward to deactivate the flap function ie to raise the flaps. It's just a different way of looking at the flap function.

Intel i7 hex-core oc'd @ 4.3 GHz & watercooled / nVidia GTX 1080 / 16 GB ram @ 2133 Hz / Win 7 on SSD / Flight Sims on SSD / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals / Oculus Rift

#72 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 08 July 2014 - 00:37

I can't edit my post above, sorry for the double. 

The Flap control in the Yak is the wrong way around in the diagram.

You are correct, Seren, the flaps control is incorrect in the Yak-1.  It was correct but sometime in the past few weeks the animation has been changed (I am certain it was correct at the time of publication as it matched Requiem's videos and were also personally triple checked by me ingame).  Thank you for pointing this out as I had not noticed it (I have not flown the Yak since the La-5 went live in multiplayer, haha!) 

Yes, the flap control in the Yak is forward to activate the flap function, ie to lower the flaps, and backward to deactivate the flap function ie to raise the flaps. It's just a different way of looking at the flap function.

MADOV I understand what you mean but in this case wording is not the problem.  if you check the Yak card again you will see that it currently is labeled to pull back to deploy (lower) the flaps, and push forward to retract (raise) the flaps.  This is no longer correct; if you check in the game you now pull back on the lever to retract the flaps and push forward to deploy (just as you said).  The wording on my cards is the same for landing gear and flaps.  up=retracted, down=deployed.

I noticed a week ago that the control for the Forsazh boost system in the La-5 has also been reversed since I published that card, I know for certain that when the plane was released it was pushed in for off and pulled out for on.  Now you push it in to activate the system, which makes more sense to me.  There are other controls which 'felt' backwards to me when I was making the cards (like RPM control in the Yak-1).  I imagine there are more changes we haven't noticed yet and likely there are more to come.

I am planning to do a comprehensive re-checking of every animated control in every cockpit when I make the card for the FW 190, which should be released in a couple of weeks, and I will notify everyone in this thread when I publish the corrected versions along with the 190.

If anyone notices other reversed controls please post about them in this thread.  Thanks!

-Lode

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 08 July 2014 - 00:38.

#73 MADOV

MADOV
  • Founder

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:07

What is of real interest is how it was in the real cockpit. If pushing  the control forward brought the flaps down as it is now, then that is how we should do it in the sim, irrespective of how illogical it may seem. The Devs may have changed this deliberately to match reality of course.

Intel i7 hex-core oc'd @ 4.3 GHz & watercooled / nVidia GTX 1080 / 16 GB ram @ 2133 Hz / Win 7 on SSD / Flight Sims on SSD / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals / Oculus Rift

#74 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:31

Incase you plan to update the cards, i would suggest to replace "Supercharger Stage" with "Supercharger Gear".

Also on the La-5, the supercharger should stay in gear 1 atleast until 4000 meters altitude. Switching it at 2000 meters already, will give you a huge performance drop between the 2000 and 4000 meters altitude range.

Edited by Matt, 09 July 2014 - 12:32.

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

#75 =RkSq=Lodebeard

=RkSq=Lodebeard
  • Founder

Posted 10 July 2014 - 00:25

What is of real interest is how it was in the real cockpit. If pushing  the control forward brought the flaps down as it is now, then that is how we should do it in the sim, irrespective of how illogical it may seem. The Devs may have changed this deliberately to match reality of course.

We agree completely!  I think the reason these changes are happening is because historical errors are being found in some of the control animations and so the devs are reversing the animations to make the controls historically accurate.  When I said the boost control on the La-5 'felt wrong' I of course did not mean the controls should be animated to suit what feels intuitive; the controls should be animated the way they operated in reality.  I just thought it was interesting that it turned out to be an error in the game rather than a counter-intuitive aircraft design.

Incase you plan to update the cards, i would suggest to replace "Supercharger Stage" with "Supercharger Gear".

Also on the La-5, the supercharger should stay in gear 1 atleast until 4000 meters altitude. Switching it at 2000 meters already, will give you a huge performance drop between the 2000 and 4000 meters altitude range.

Thank you Matt,  I appreciate your suggestions!

You are 100% correct about the supercharger terminology.  I used the term 'stage' simply because that was the term used in the previous IL-2 games, but you are right.  I have done some quick wiki searching to check you are correct in all cases:

Klimov M-105 (Lagg-3, Yak-1, Pe-2) - Single-stage gear-driven two-speed centrifugal type supercharger

Shvetsov ASh-82 (La-5) - TK-2 single-stage two-speed centrifugal type supercharger (I believe gear-driven but not positive - later versions used exhaust gasses to drive the compressor)

Mikulin AM-38 (IL-2) - Single-stage gear-driven single-speed centrifugal type supercharger

Daimler-Benz DB 601 (Bf 109F-4) - Single-stage gear-driven single-speed centrifugal type supercharger

Daimler-Benz DB 605 (Bf 109G-2) - Single-stage gear-driven variable-speed centrifugal type supercharger with a barometrically controlled clutch and methanol/water injection into the supercharger intake

Jumo 211 (Ju 87D-3) - Single-stage gear-driven two-speed centrifugal type supercharger with automatic boost control

As for the altitude to switch speeds on the supercharger of the La-5, I will make sure to check it before the next revision of the cards.  I do not remember what you describe, but if it is true I will certainly correct the information. I like the saying 'trust, but verify'. ;)

I am planning a revision of all the cards when the FW 190 is released in the upcoming weeks, and here is a list of the errors I need to correct so far:

-flaps control on Yak-1 is reversed

-Forsazh control on La-5 is reversed

-change 'supercharger stage' to 'supercharger gear' on all cards

-check and correct stated supercharger altitude for La-5

-add performance and CEM notes for La-5

-re-check all control animations to ensure there are no other reversed controls

If anyone notices errors or has suggestions other than those listed, please post them here so I can be sure to fix as much as possible in the next version of the cards.  Thanks!

Edited by =RkSq=Lodebeard, 10 July 2014 - 01:06.

#76 Seren77

Seren77
  • Founder

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:45

So I have a Russian friend called Lada who was kind enough to look at the flap controls on the YAK and we determined pulling the lever back (Y6PATb) is flaps up. (she translated it to "put away") 

Though since todays patch the yaks flap control does not move the flaps at all.

If it's helpful to to have her look at any of the other controls I'm sure she would be happy to.

#77 CPS_Skybolt

CPS_Skybolt
  • Founder

Posted 12 July 2014 - 20:15

Thank you =RkSq=Lodebeard. Very nice and very welcomed charts.

#78 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:20

Also on the La-5, the supercharger should stay in gear 1 atleast until 4000 meters altitude.

No, you want to change it at 3,500 meters. There's a noticeable difference in manifold pressure when changing it to stage 2 at this altitude, as it'll change from about 880 mm Hg to 940 mm Hg when switching from stage 1 to stage 2.

Coincidentally, that's the same recommended altitude in the IL2 1946 flyable aircraft guide published by 1C.

Edited by LukeFF, 13 July 2014 - 08:22.

#79 HotPursuit

HotPursuit
  • Founder

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:08

Thanks Lodebeard these are very helpful.

Though since todays patch the yaks flap control does not move the flaps at all.

Yak 1 flaps are working ok for me. Maybe your airspeed was too high for them to deploy?

#80 Matt

Matt
  • Founder

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:17

No, you want to change it at 3,500 meters. There's a noticeable difference in manifold pressure when changing it to stage 2 at this altitude, as it'll change from about 880 mm Hg to 940 mm Hg when switching from stage 1 to stage 2.

Coincidentally, that's the same recommended altitude in the IL2 1946 flyable aircraft guide published by 1C.

If you switch to gear 2 at 3500 meters you lose about 25-30 km/h top speed as opposed to sticking to gear 1. And that's quite a big of a disadvantage.

I've no idea how it works in '46, but that's how it works in BoS. All graphs i've seen of the La-5 also show that its lowest speed (between the critical altitudes of the supercharger gears) is somewhere around ~4000-4200 meters and that's the best altitude to switch to the other gear in BoS too.

Edited by Matt, 13 July 2014 - 11:18.

i5-4670k - GTX 970 - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 10 - VKB Gladiator Pro + Warthog grip - TM Warthog throttle - VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV - PC360 - TrackIR5 - Monster Tech table mounts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

danniego