Lemsip

Skin Request - Roald Dahl's Hurricane Mk.I

Hi

I'm hoping someone can create Dahl's Hurricane paint scheme from 80SQN during the Battle of Greece in 1941.

hurricane1200_0_0084f4b084f4b0-1.thumb.gif.cc76e621866bfde063da839639853797.gif

Hurricane-Mk.I-V7826-Kite.jpg

Edited by Lemsip
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Not sure about Dahl's plane directly but Pattle's is listed here: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/9/2#41

he was also 80SQN in greece so as long as you get serials and plane numbers you should be good.

• Thanks 1

Template's not out just yet. It's gonna be a wee bit difficult for anyone to get the bushes, I do know that!!

• Haha 2

@Lemsip Unfortunately there were a couple. This one HAS a Squadron code but there is one (pre-delivery) without one as well. That one is V7826. There are not really any pictures or even sound evidence of his actual machine. Unless you can dig out any other info then I'm afraid it's a bit of a non-starter.

Rap

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

@Lemsip Unfortunately there were a couple. This one HAS a Squadron code but there is one (pre-delivery) without one as well. That one is V7826. There are not really any pictures or even sound evidence of his actual machine. Unless you can dig out any other info then I'm afraid it's a bit of a non-starter.

Rap

Well, if you or someone else were to make a skin representative of the plane he flew in Greece, such as best guess SQN markings, identification letters, I would be content with something like that. 

Edit: Added picture of model of his plane with what is probably his serial no. in Greece.

Edited by Lemsip
  • Like 1

Okay, it's a deal. I'll knock that one out when ICDP has sorted the template mate (see what I did there?)!!

;)

I did come across that model but I can only imagine that the guy only had access to the same material as we have by the looks of it.

Hahaha, thank you Raptor! Im sure what youll make is the best anyone can hope for. 

On 11/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, Raptorattacker said:

Okay, it's a deal. I'll knock that one out when ICDP has sorted the template mate (see what I did there?)!!

;)

I did come across that model but I can only imagine that the guy only had access to the same material as we have by the looks of it.

Any progress on this front Rap? I'm really excited to get my hands on this one!

This is the only other image that I could find that is anything to do with it so things are looking a little vague at the moment. Have you any other source material?

1997564428_UK1V7826HawkerHurricaneMkITonyOTooleColl.thumb.jpg.e5095958be450d4160dff38d350c40f1.jpg

I mean, you can't really make out any details on this either, can you?

Rap

:scratch_one-s_head:

15 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

This is the only other image that I could find that is anything to do with it so things are looking a little vague at the moment. Have you any other source material?

So I did some decent digging and found out that the most likely answer is that Dahl used aircraft V7826, with standard temperate camouflage with sky colour underwing as per August 1940 orders, possibly with Vokes filter, and likely with markings of 80SQN 'YK-?'. If you were to make a skin of this description, with say SQN markings of simply 'YK-  ', I would be more than satisfied.

Just as an aside, any olive camos in Greece 1941 were probably only used by 33SQN, while any desert camos were left over from redeploying from North Africa, probably repainted to olive (33SQN) or temperate (33SQN and 80SQN). It is very likely there was a mix of olive and temperate paint schemes, but temperate seems to dominate 80SQN in this time period and is supported by photographs.

From Roald Dahl Museum

" We do have Roald Dahls logbook which covers his time in Greece in March and April 1941, but this doesnt give the number of the Hurricane. On his return to North Africa after 80 Squadron left Greece, the logbook lists the aircraft numbers Z4178, Z4194 of the Hurricanes which Dahl was flying.

We do have photographs of the planes used in Greece, but these do not show the serial numbers. Ive attached a couple which I hope you will find of interest. The first (RD180261r) was taken in Haifa, Israel, and Roald Dahl labelled the reverse My Hurricane at Haifa, Syrian Campaign.' The second (RD180254r) was taken in Greece, and shows the plane at Megara camouflaged with branches to hide it from German planes. "

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979205-hurricane-mki-v7288-questions/ 

80_Sqn_RAF_personnel_with_Hurricane_at_Eleusis_c1941.jpg

Hurricane GB 80 Sqn

Edited by Lemsip
  • Like 1

@Lemsip How about YK-D or R, just for the sake of having a full Squadron number? We don't know the last number anyway so rather than NOT put one on then we may as well put an 'assumed' one there instead?

V7826 is the plane that I put above but it was likely that this was pre-Squadron code, rather than just with no SC.

@RaptorattackerOk thats sound fair enough if its YK-D. And are you saying V7826 should be used even if we dont have the actual number? If so I think thats fine aswell. Again thankyou for helping out here!

Edited by Lemsip

@Lemsip Right, it's in Raptorattacker's Skinhouse right now, last page and bottom of the Hurricanes!

Rap

:thank_you:

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1