Battle of Normandy status

Crowgasm

Possibly a stupid question but I can't find anything definitive on the forums or elsewhere to answer this. Is the BoN module actually playable to some level at this point, or just listed as a pre-order 'early access' title? A lot of the blurb lists details about map/aircraft 'when they're ready'.

I received a promo email about it and I'd be happy to buy now, with limited content/playability but not as a pre-order. Appreciate any clarification someone might offer, including if it is somewhat playable then to what extent and a resource on keeping track of ETA on a formal release.

And While there is no new SP content for the P-47D-22 it can be used in the BOBP career mode

(As the P-47 units of that time still had a mix of Bubble tops and Razorbacks).

Personally i really like the P-47D-22 (Its Faster then the D-28 though with worse visibility)

but if you are not interested in the D-22 then you could just wait until more content has been added before you buy/pre-order

Edited by mattebubben

3 hours ago, Crowgasm said:

Thank you.

Multiple aircraft have been researched, artwork is being done, some have their artwork in engine... and I believe it was mentioned that a lot of the preparatory work for the map is done... so it is getting underway. Given the quality of the work and the attention to detail and accuracy - I wouldn't be surprised if it'll take a while for most of it to be released (a good chunk will presumably be out during 2021 though). But yeah, right now... just the P-47 D-22 and the C-47 (AI only).

• Like 1

I think we may still be getting one or two more BON aircraft before the year is out, could be wrong though

ShamrockOneFive
8 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

I think we may still be getting one or two more BON aircraft before the year is out, could be wrong though

That's my guess as well. The order that Jason posted suggested that the Fw190A-6 is coming next. We've seen nothing about it but seeing as its based on other Fw190 models I can imagine that development will be rapid. We've seen lots of work in progress images of the Spitfire XIV, Typhoon IB, and P-51B/C so I'm willing to bet that one might come close to release before the end of the year although I'm thinking they will start to come early into 2021.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

so I'm willing to bet that one might come close to release before the end of the year although I'm thinking they will start to come early into 2021.

I keep my fingers crossed for the Spitfire XIV. Would make the perfect x-mas gift, IMHO.

• Like 3

PatrickAWlson

A6 would make sense since pieces of it already exist in other models (A5 with A8 wings is no doubt a simplification, but not too far off).

The 109, Ju88, and P51 some family tree in place so they would seem to be next easiest.

The Typhoon, and Spitfire would seem to have some family tree in place, but I suspect less than we might think.  

Arado, Me410, and Mosquito are probably bringing up the tail end, as they are entirely new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Arado, Me410, and Mosquito are probably bringing up the tail end, as they are entirely new.

The three reasons I jumped at buying BoN, haha....Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

PatrickAWlson
10 minutes ago, 40plus said:

The three reasons I jumped at buying BoN, haha....Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

They are just very different planes and therefore take longer.  On the bright side I think the engines used in all of them have already been modeled, so hopefully that helps.

Just now, cardboard_killer said:

Battle of Normandy status? We won.

C'mon man, put a spoiler tag around that.

• Haha 9
  • Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson

@Jason_Williams Know how that feels.  We have been working remotely since March.  We have remained remarkably effective, but there are still definite advantages to being co-located.

Best wishes and speedy recovery to those members of the staff that have taken ill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

COVID restrictions has screwed up everything in our Moscow office. The fact that we can even operate remotely and put out updates is a miracle. I've also had several members of the team get COVID and get quite ill. One is out sick right now recovering from COVID induced pneumonia. Whenever the core team works remotely work slows down, but many on the team continue to work way more than 40 hours a week to try and keep us on track. Normandy is progressing more or less as planned, but finishing updates under these circumstances has proven difficult and delays are bound to happen. But generally speaking Normandy is progressing as planned. Just check the DDs to see what's going on.

Jason

Sorry to hear your team is/was ill. Hope that all will recover fully!

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

COVID restrictions has screwed up everything in our Moscow office. The fact that we can even operate remotely and put out updates is a miracle. I've also had several members of the team get COVID and get quite ill. One is out sick right now recovering from COVID induced pneumonia. Whenever the core team works remotely work slows down, but many on the team continue to work way more than 40 hours a week to try and keep us on track. Normandy is progressing more or less as planned, but finishing updates under these circumstances has proven difficult and delays are bound to happen. But generally speaking Normandy is progressing as planned. Just check the DDs to see what's going on.

Jason

Big respect to the team. I hope everybody gets well soon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Best wishes to team. They're an incredibly talented group that have provided much enjoyment to so many of us. Having read their posts here though the years, its hard not to develop an affection and a concern for their well being. Be well.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, from me too, thank you for the hard work (again), all the best and good recovery for who's ill.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

time is very difficult for everyone especially for Dev. team and upcoming Christmas makes everything much harder than it is. So I'm urge everyone to be very patient and understanding. Even with tease difficult times Dev. team keeps surprising and producing better content then before. So please guys lets support team as much as we can. Every little helps

wow that never went thru my mind, I mean, the team getting covid and thus slowing down the work, even if that's exactly what happened at my workplace as well, how blind I am. Now I feel "closer" to the devs, somewhat this situation around the world makes you empathize with people that's even too far away from you and you don't see.

I wish they all get well soon, I can't believe how many different areas this [edited] virus affected. Can't wait this to finish already

• Upvote 1

What you have been achieving in the last months is phenomenal. The sim is really advancing in so many areas.

Big kudos and thanks to everyone in the team. And I wish a full and speedy recovery to those who have been ill. 

• Upvote 3

ShadowStalker887
19 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Let them know we appreciate them, and that we wish them a smooth recovery. This game means a lot to me, but I'd much rather have the devs be healthy and sane then get an update earlier. And the same goes for you Jason!

• Upvote 2

Yeah, this has been one, uh...hmm...how to put I nicely...“messed” up year. 

While the world appears to be spinning off it’s axis, in my teeny-weeny little part of it thank God I’ve got flight simming to lean as an escape, if only be it for a few hours, especially in VR where you are completely cut off from your surroundings. 

Funny how a dev team such as this not only manages to keep producing and upgrading a fantastic marketable product under adverse conditions, but (speaking for us all) also manages to inadvertently save what’s left of our collective sanity in the process.

Salute!

• Upvote 5

On 11/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Jason,

I know companies who don´t get as much done under "normal" situations as you guys crank out under special corona restrictions. Please tell your guys that they are phenomenal. Never saw that kind of professionalism and dedication from a developer before. And of course I whish a speedy recoverey to all unfortunate guys who aquired that nasty virus. You guys rock!

• Upvote 3

My best wishes of recovery and good health to all those who have been contaminated and/or fell sick.

To all the others you I wish you won't get it and stay in good health, and thank you for your continuous dedication to develop, update, upgrade this wonderful simulator.

Jason and your team:  thanks!

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I Love the current Overall package, eastfront and westfront to choose from, flying in an incredible nice looking Simulation, geting new content over the year and see the Game and Community grow.

It is all i can ask for

Bremspropeller
On 11/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

A6 would make sense since pieces of it already exist in other models (A5 with A8 wings is no doubt a simplification, but not too far off).

The 109, Ju88, and P51 some family tree in place so they would seem to be next easiest.

The Typhoon, and Spitfire would seem to have some family tree in place, but I suspect less than we might think.  

Wasn't there once a general plan with the release-orders?

Not sure if that plan is still valid, given the whole COVID nightmare, though...

ShamrockOneFive
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Not sure if that plan is still valid, given the whole COVID nightmare, though...

Indeed. Jason gave us a list and up until the Bf109G-6 Late it has been pretty much going according to plan. It seems to have gone out ahead of the Fw190A-6.

I just updated the roadmap here: https://stormbirds.blog/product-roadmaps/il-2-great-battles-roadmap/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Yep, the original plan here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/57896-jasons-briefing-room-and-officers-club/

Original list:

Yak-9/ 9T

P-47D-22

Hurricane Mk. IIb/c/d

C-47 (AI)

Fw-190 A-6

Spitfire Mk. XIV

Typhoon Mk.Ib

P-51B/C

Bf-190 G-6 (Late)

Ju-88 C-6a

B-26 (AI)

Mosquito FB Mk.VI

Me-410

Ar-234

V-1

My bet is that due to Corona the Spitfire XIV, which we already have seen in 3D with skins has switched places with the Fw-190 A6 which we haven´t seen at all. So my guess would be, that we most likely get one more patch before X-mas which will include the Spitfire XIV and the rest of the planes will be released in whatever possible sequence in 2021.

• Thanks 1

=621=Samikatz
38 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Indeed. Jason gave us a list and up until the Bf109G-6 Late it has been pretty much going according to plan. It seems to have gone out ahead of the Fw190A-6.

I just updated the roadmap here: https://stormbirds.blog/product-roadmaps/il-2-great-battles-roadmap/

Conspiracy hat here, this is all me guessing:

Devs seem to like bundling similar work together, probably makes it easier to focus and might be overall faster? We got 150 oct for the Spitfire when the P-51 with the same Merlin engine arrived, a P-47D-28 FM rework came when the D-22 dropped, and one of the devs mentioned that some P-51 issues will be fixed during "work on the future P-51" in the FM forum

The Bf-109 may have been re-prioritised to rebuild the often complained about tail-section, and because they were already working on 109s, they went and finished the 1944 G-6

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Yep, the original plan here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/57896-jasons-briefing-room-and-officers-club/

Original list:

Yak-9/ 9T

P-47D-22

Hurricane Mk. IIb/c/d

C-47 (AI)

Fw-190 A-6

Spitfire Mk. XIV

Typhoon Mk.Ib

P-51B/C

Bf-190 G-6 (Late)

Ju-88 C-6a

B-26 (AI)

Mosquito FB Mk.VI

Me-410

Ar-234

V-1

My bet is that due to Corona the Spitfire XIV, which we already have seen in 3D with skins has switched places with the Fw-190 A6 which we haven´t seen at all. So my guess would be, that we most likely get one more patch before X-mas which will include the Spitfire XIV and the rest of the planes will be released in whatever possible sequence in 2021.

In youtube interview months ago they said Spit XIV is planed for early 2021, after 109G6 i dont expect any more airplanes this year, if any come its probably just 190a6.

Also i doubt that they can finish rest of airplanes in 2021 only + add on that map, campaigns and fixes, BoN will probably take longest time to make DLC from anouncment to full finish. 

Edited by CountZero
  • Upvote 2

ShamrockOneFive
1 hour ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Conspiracy hat here, this is all me guessing:

Devs seem to like bundling similar work together, probably makes it easier to focus and might be overall faster? We got 150 oct for the Spitfire when the P-51 with the same Merlin engine arrived, a P-47D-28 FM rework came when the D-22 dropped, and one of the devs mentioned that some P-51 issues will be fixed during "work on the future P-51" in the FM forum

The Bf-109 may have been re-prioritised to rebuild the often complained about tail-section, and because they were already working on 109s, they went and finished the 1944 G-6

Not even really a conspiracy. It makes sense from a PM point of video to make sure that you're using your resources as best as possible and trying to limit the amount of task switching. Makes total sense to me that if they needed to make a fleet wide Bf109 update that you'd prioritize and switch from Fw190A-6 to Bf109G-6 Late to make the work count towards the old and the new.

Your guess on the P-51 is very likely as well I'd say!

On 11/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Wish them Covid victims around you best of luck and a successful return to good health;

a good friend of mine has been hit very hard due working as College teacher, in hospital for 3 weeks now on oxygen and all.

He still has humor, saying the Romans knocked him down when Obelix wasn't looking. JJ

We've received 6 aircraft so far this year (one AI)... along with large scale reworks to other aircraft (New damage model, New pilot physiology model, P-47 FM etc.) It seems pretty productive. Remaining on the list are four more single engined aircraft, and four twin-engined ones... a lot to look forward to! Whether we'll get another patch in December or in January... we'll see.

The Spit XIV is textured, but it sounded like it would be delayed (perhaps some issues with the Griffon?). The P-51B/C we've seen initial art for, as has been the case with the Typhoon and Mosquito (but those are more unique). So my guess would be that the next patch might have the P-51B/C, Fw-190A6, or Spit XIV... and that it'd likely appear sometime between the end of December and March... we'll see though... development is inherently unpredictable.

• Like 2