What is your favourite plane?

=621=Samikatz
36 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Just out of idle curiosity, does anyone know what the average number of flight hours that a P-39 or P-40 survived while in Soviet service? If the airframes only lasted say, a hundred or two hundred hours in combat on average, there would be little reason to baby the Allison engines. 

There's a report discussing RAF use of the Allison-engined Mustang (not sure how hugely different the engines are?) running it at 72"hg for 20 minute stretches and still having longer time between failures than with Merlin engined planes

On 11/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, MaxTurn said:

I only fly against AI and so stay away from the P-40.  Unless things have changed in the recent revisions, I think the plane could not have been such a "dog" and think the limits on the V-1710 are not realistic.  One argument that I think was on the forum but I can't find was about the maximum boost possible with the Allison.  I found this letter which I have been unable to upload as a PDF and or even as a 7-zip file.  I pasted the first page and the entire document can be found at:  http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-40/V-1710_Service_Use_of_High_Power_Outputs.pdf

I am interested in finding if there is any other reliable historical records indicating that this was an actual practice.  If this is redundant I apologize but I did search the forum. 

image.thumb.png.b35759287883d6befa633c87b14cbaf0.png

This is a subject which has been pretty much beaten to death since unfortunately, there is no clear answer.

Yes, you have some pilot accounts that they were running at 66"-72" in 42. However, if you read the top of page 2 of Hazen's letter, he does state that running the engine above 60"risks blowing it up.

This may also be interesting, especially the part where pilots were testing the AC in 42-43 to see how far they could push the engine. Again 60" seems to have been the upper limit.

The P-38 Lightning (wwiiaircraftperformance.org)

Looks of good material on that site.

JG_deserteagle540

Favourite planes: 109 and Fw190

The 109 for its performance and maneuverability.

The Fw190 for its armament.

Groove_GFA
4 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

This is a subject which has been pretty much beaten to death since unfortunately, there is no clear answer.

Yes, you have some pilot accounts that they were running at 66"-72" in 42. However, if you read the top of page 2 of Hazen's letter, he does state that running the engine above 60"risks blowing it up.

This may also be interesting, especially the part where pilots were testing the AC in 42-43 to see how far they could push the engine. Again 60" seems to have been the upper limit.

The P-38 Lightning (wwiiaircraftperformance.org)

Looks of good material on that site.

I had no idea the P-40's engine was highly debated here on the forums. I have managed to get used to it, the RPM/Manifold management is kind of second nature. Now that I understand that dogfighting in it is a terrible idea, and I stick to ground pounding, I've been having a lot of fun on and offline. The nice thing about starting in this aircraft though, is as I try new ones, engine management doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I guess I'm just used to the workload now. :)

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Groove_GFA said:

I had no idea the P-40's engine was highly debated here on the forums. 

not just the P-40, all engine limits have been examined in detail at one time or another. Virtual pilots are always looking for an edge. 😉

On 11/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, FranT6Texan said:

E0244714-12CA-4F67-B6E0-3B67E1024493.jpeg

Great looking picture. That’s my favorite version of the Zero. At that point of WWII they had an almost mystical quality about them. 

• Like 1
SvAF/F16_Dark_P

Spitfire, P-51, P-47 i like them a lot!

But my true love is the Bf 109, flown her the first time in my first flight sim in 98, and she was my number one fighter in original IL2 ❤️

Edited by SvAF/F16_Dark_P
  • Like 1
FranT6Texan

El 109 entra como un sable en el combate y FW 190 es demoledor es una apisonadora a mi me gustan los motores rádiales  👍🏼

6DBE901D-52B5-4195-B13F-BC8BAA433994.jpeg

catchthefoxes

41073100321_1717c2cabe_o.thumb.jpg.0c9b3984d95f3e4dfa6814acf68ae47d.jpg

THE P-47!!!!! Still the prettiest warbird imo!! maybe they can give us a later variant in the future !!!🤞:)

Edited by catchthefoxes
  • Like 1
FranT6Texan

El más esbelto no lo era quizás tan poco el más maniobrable pero si el más confiable ese motor radial aguantaba y resistía llevando a pilotos como Gabbi Gabreski de vuelta a casa.

05F84EC0-424A-465C-B75E-12BFAD8A2302.jpeg

• Like 1
JG5_Schuck

In multiplayer, i normally fly the German stuff, and if i can i take the A3.

But if i just fancy an offline scenic flight around the Kuban, i have a secret love for the MiG 3.........

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Tough question. I love every single one of them actually haha, with their flaws and all. I like having success flying an 'underdog' such as the 110 or the I-16. 

My favorite ones however hmmm. The 109F4 is there, it was the pinnacle for the 109 imo in 41. Of course the 190 because you can gather some huge numbers it it, especially the early lighter versions like A3 and A4. I love all Yaks because they are easy to handle and very forgiving in turn fighting, the P-38 because it packs some pretty decent firepower having the guns centered in the nose plus it looks really good. The spit because of the unique way you need to handle it when you turn tightly but if you can manage it you'll outturn anything or almost. And finally the 262 because of the huge step in technology it represented, the top speed produced by the jet engines and the insane firepower it had. 

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe

All variants of the Bf-109, and while not in the game (hopefully in the future) any variant of the Zero. ❤️

Having only BoS and a few collector planes, I would choose Macchi202 for its nimbleness, good visibility inside the cockpit and also for its aesthetic qualities.

Edited by shamino
On 11/23/2020 at 10:02 PM, Rjel said:

Just out of idle curiosity, does anyone know what the average number of flight hours that a P-39 or P-40 survived while in Soviet service? If the airframes only lasted say, a hundred or two hundred hours in combat on average, there would be little reason to baby the Allison engines. 

Ah... it is a bit more complicated... apparently the Soviet aviation fuel (along with tough operating conditions) led to the Allison engines failing at a fraction of their official overhaul times.

I remember reading in one of the excellent "Lend Lease" interviews with Russian veterans about how a Lisunov Li-2 (a C-47 derivative) would fly to the airfield with a pair of replacement Alison engines - one strapped under each wing...

Albatros D.III

Of the BoX planes, it's a tie between Fw 190 D-9 and P-51 right now. They just feel right to me.

Real plane: FW190 A#, goes right back to when I was a kid and built and flew a control line model of one. It just looks right.  But in the game it is difficult, I am more comfortable in the Spitfire IX - clipped wing of course!

In our sim, the P-51D-15 ...cause well,  MURICA 😂  In all seriousness, Its just a pure joy to fly and fight the P-51D in IL-2, I spend most of my time using it, the Spit IX and Spit V are close second and third, Looking forward to getting my hands on the B model in 2021!

Empire of the Sun \\ P-51 Cadillac of the Skies on Make a GIF

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 2

I can't wait to fly the mosquito. The one thing keeping me going is I should have my reverb g2 and new gpu by then so the first flight will be in great quality.

my favourite of the currently available planes is the Dora hands down. Best in terms of cockpit modelling and sounds imo, flies like a dream too

6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

To fly, no question. Just look at it.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
6./ZG26_5tuka

Easy to chose for me. The Ju 87 D will remain my favourite for long time to come. It doesn't need great performemce, armor, weaponry or looks to bring enjoyment. Flying tacticly in a big formation evading hostile strongpoints to precision bomb the target and returning back home safely is one of the most challenging yet best expirience this sim has to offer to me.

If anything could possibly win my favour over it, it would probably be a TBM Avenger or Helldiver when that (hopefully) becomes reality.

BlitzPig_EL

I have always preferred the Ki43 over the A6M as well Klaus, in fact I generally prefer the IJA aircraft over the IJN birds, especially the Ki61.

• Like 1

P-38

I find flying with twin engines a lot of fun.

Trying to get home if one is lost can be a challenge and adjusting the engines differently in attempts to do hammerhead manouvers, help with turns etc is fun.

Also using trim and dive flaps to get the best out of the plane during a dogfight keeps me quite busy.

I too had some great experiences in the Ki61 back in Zekes vs Wildcats. Had an awesome protracted 1 vs 2 P-38s engagement where I held them off, going back and forth, to and fro in the clouds at around 14 -16,000', got some hits, and finally decided it was time to evade making my escape via some clouds landing safely undamaged. It could hold it's own against Allied planes if you used it well.

But to be honest the N1K2-J was my favorite (hard to beat 4 20mms!) and then the A6m5. I found the George to be a perfect match for the F6F and the F4U (maybe not as fast as the Corsair but there are ways around that;-). The Zero was just plain fun to fly and if you used it's advantages and "known" disadvantages you could do well in it. The Allied pilots flying on those maps often underestimated this plane making mistakes I could capitalize on knowing they would try to take advantage of it's weaknesses. The Oscar was fun to fly and a good P-40 killer, but it's armament was always a bit lacking. Had a lot of fun in the Ki84 too against multiple Allied aircraft, though I found the Spitfire to be a problem for me when I flew against it.

Have to admit I miss the Pacific arena.

Currently I'm loving the Tempest and the Yak series as far as singleplayer air combat goes, but I will always enjoy flying the Bf109 F4 and G6 too. As far as pure beauty goes I'll always love the lines of the P-51 and Spit marks. 

• Like 2