What is your favourite plane?

Yes Mi3 is the best! Such a gorgeous and interesting plane. I usually fly it with the tracerless 20mm which sounds great and looks so cool, just seeing the big muzzleflashes in the gunsight.

Although I like my P38 just as much, such a nice gunplatform and hard but rewarding to fly as a fighter. Helps that it has two of the best sounding engines in the game.

Edited by QB.Gregor-
  • Like 2

Let's see. P-47N all time favorite. 2nd place being a late war bubble canopy Spitfire, 3rd would have to go to B-29 or Mig-3...I agree I always liked it's cockpit way back GeeBee like appearance too.

F8 Bearcat too if we're going off straight up appearance and not combat record. There's just too many!

• Upvote 2

I could not give one answer. Honestly, I thought hard but could not.  I like the Yak 1b, 7b, 9 & 9T.  I like the Spit IX and the Tempest.    In the early wars I like the Mig-3.   There are also those aircraft that I enjoy flying but I have never managed to master well enough to do well in them like the P39 & P47 & La5-FN.   To be honest,  there are probably no Allied aircraft that I *don't* like,  just some that I don't often fly because there are usually better alternatives in each server but if they were all I were allowed to fly and the opposition was at least contemporary then I would be happy to fly them.

• Upvote 1

I recently bought the Yak-9 on sale. I didn't bother with the Yak-1B because its turn radius and climb rate are worse than the plain 9's. Anywho, long story short, I think the Yak-9 is the best aerobatic plane in the game so far. I did some tests with basic vertical loops to confirm my initial feeling. The only plane close to the 9's ease of movement in maneuvers is the Spitfire IX (I don't own the V).

In most planes I've flown, I generally can't complete a loop (at very low altitude) while going under about 230 MPH. I'll either stall before I reach the top of the loop, or I'll fall out of the top turn under 100 MPH, with very little control over the plane as I close the loop.

In a Spitfire IX, I can safely close the loop after entering it at ~210. In the Yak-9, I can complete it from ~200. I'm comfortably in control the whole time. Overall, the 9 is just one of those planes you can fly blindfolded. And unlike the Spit, it doesn't have that floaty elevator feeling.

And beyond all that, I like the look of Yaks (especially the 3 and 9U, *shakes fist at devs for not having these in the game yet*). I don't collect many diecast planes, but if Hobby Master made the Yak in 1/48 scale, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

*I decided to add this screen I took about an hour ago in Quick mode. I caption it "Beauty and the Beast." Real original, I know. Also, this is my typical engagement range. I missed colliding by about 2 feet. It's a great comparison shot to show just how tiny a Yak is, though. It's like a 109 with a few extra pounds.

20201030150537_1.thumb.jpg.668cc791b18950f090d383eebf77e94b.jpg

Edited by oc2209
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Corsair.

I kind of secretly hope for a small nosdiscript map for PTO depictions (like two atoll-islands with maybe four airstrips), featuring maybe 4-5 aircraft:

The F4U-1A/C/D and F6F-3/5 on the US side and the A6M3/5 on the JIN side.

That would certainly sell well.

Favourite: Fw 190 because of it's features.

I don't fly it much and consequently I'm not too good in it, though.

2 hours ago, twilson37 said:

A-20 Havoc for me, need a New Guinea map for some skip bombing though

Well if we are doing bombers/attackers that don't exist in-game yet then I want a B25H    8x50cals in the nose plus 2 each in top & rear turrets and one each in the waist... then a 75mm cannon in the nose! 🙂

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, PatCartier said:

I confess that even in 1942 I wouldn't have liked to fight in this plane... like in any other plane...

😅

I know exactly what you mean.

Like, for instance, I love the 109 for all-around combat utility. But would I want to fly it in real life? First of all, I'm 6'1. That alone would present a comfort problem. You can say, 'oh, it was designed in the 1930s when men were shorter on average,' but I'm pretty sure I'd fit much better into a P-47 designed in the same era.

Besides that, the 109 was notorious for heavy controls at any kind of speed. Which means you had to be strong, and have endurance, to use the plane's full potential. In other words, you had to be in better-than-average conditioning. Being able to push it to the limits of its airframe in a sim is much, much easier than doing so for ~30 minutes in real life.

So the great irony is, the plane I hate the most in the sim (the P-47) is probably the one I'd most want to fly in real life. Mainly because it'd be comfortable, fairly easy to fly, and it looks like it can crash into an oak tree at 200mph and come out the victor.

Likewise with the Yak, I love it in this sim; but I also don't need to worry about its wing delaminating mid-maneuver. I know that problem was fixed, but the point is that Russian quality control was a little spotty at times. None of that matters in a sim, where every part of a plane is assumed to be in perfect condition (until it gets shot).

In terms of British planes (since I've neglected to mention them), I guess I'd also like to fly the Tempest in real life, as well. More than the Spitfire, probably. The Spitfire has the same horrible landing gear as the 109, and incredibly lacks a tail wheel lock for reasons I can't understand. I ground loop the Spitfire in this sim constantly, and I never do with the 109; solely, I imagine, because of the tail wheel lock. I mean, it's possible to land and taxi without a locking tail wheel... but who would want to, such that you'd completely omit the feature?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

There are a lot of aircrafts that I love. But there is one that has really something special. Like it looks like a real killer (not for aircrafts though). Just look those 2 big cannons under wings. 

EBtylA5X4AIMtqo?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by JG300_Faucon
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, oc2209 said:

I know exactly what you mean.

Outstanding post sir.  You touch on a lot of areas that many sim pilots don't understand, or want to admit to.

Sadly, many online players view the sim from an "eSports" perspective and have zero care about the realistic operating parameters of the pixel planes we fly, while many in the single player sphere want the sim to be hyper challenging to the point where many aspects of aircraft handling and management are actually harder than they are in real aircraft, hence the overblown ground looping in the sim.

Thanks for the post of the day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

- 262 for it's uniqueness (well british had the gloster meteor, but still)

- 109E7: because she has everything a virtual pilot can ask for.

- Macchi: because it's flight is smooth and just beautiful, and because someone of the forum bought it for me

- oh and almost forget, while not in-game, it's one of my favorite from WWII, the Ki-61 (hien/tony), the only reason why I would buy PTO (if it comes someday)

Edited by MasserME262
  • Upvote 1

Oh man it's too tough to pick one. Some of my favorites:

*Il-2: It's feels great and flying low to tank hunt is a great experience

*P38: It's a twin engine that goes like a fighter

*109 G2: The engine management on this one is a dream

*Any Yak: Great all around plane

fa·vor·ite

/ˈfāv(ə)rət/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

preferred before all others of the same kind.

"their favorite Italian restaurant"

Just tossing that out there....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rjel said:

fa·vor·ite

/ˈfāv(ə)rət/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

preferred before all others of the same kind.

"their favorite Italian restaurant"

Just tossing that out there....

Only for those in the Colonies! ;)

• Like 1

I’m going out on a limb here despite that I may pick up some flak (he-he) for this but for me it’s the...

...A-20.

Obviously lacks the charisma of the fighter sets, but in game she’s very predictable for me and very well-tamed. Docile, in fact. With inputs I know exactly what to expect. Landing? Ha! Practically does it herself! I I needn’t go into the sound of those big dual radials. Friggin’ awesome. Not to mention decent power for her size as well. Just love looking over at those big radials in VR.

So to each his or her own, but I just love the way this big bird performs, even if it is “just” a bomber role.

• Like 2
On 10/29/2020 at 9:29 AM, Mmaruda said:

Not talking about performance, utility and viability. Just looks, overall feel, the engine roar, what you like to just fly. Any low-tier kites that suck, yet you still love them? Maybe it's all about that legendary status, or you just prefer what works?

For me, the Mig-3 won my heart a long time ago, mostly due to the challenge of just getting this thing into the air cleanly if at all. It sounds great, likes high speed and low altitudes, can equip a dual .50 cal setup and pretty much looks like a hot-rod dragster. The long nose does not help deflection shooting, but hey, I did mention the challenge aspect.

I16 closely followed by E7. The I16 is the most fun aircraft to fly with the E7 being almost it's equal on the fun scale.

Both of these birds in game can be flung around like crazy. The I16 tries to kill you at low level. What's not to love?

• Upvote 1