Nividia 3070 on sale today and immediately....

Best Buy offered the 3070 this morning at 0600 and within minutes became unavailable or the pre-orders over whelmed the store’s ability to process.Did anyone have any luck( I didn’t!) Is there another ounce someone might recommend, I’d appreciate it.

OR...I don’t need this immediately and probably not until I get the pre-ordered Reverb headset, so might I ask what is the probability that supply will catch up with demand? I can probably predict the new Reverb won’t arrive at my door until late November.

Finally the 3070 comes in at about $500.00. The 3080 ( when available )is listed at about $700.00.You can guess at my next question.What’s the difference and is the cost difference worth it?  If push comes to shove would it be worthwhile to get the more expensive option????🤨

17 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

Buy AMD

What is the equivalent product? If I read their site right about what I think it is ,it won't be available until mid November.Now I'm curious about what other 3070 cards will become available?

BTW Ebay is showing these brand new cards at roughly twice the retail price??!!

Edited by Blitzen
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

What is the equivalent product? If I read their site right about what I think it is ,it won't be available until mid November.Now I'm curious about what other 3070 cards will become available?

The RX 6800...has twice the VRAM at 16GB and outperforms it.

Or spend an extra 150 bucks and grab an RX 6800XT which also has 16 GB of VRAM is basically on par with a 3080 in performance.

Honestly...after the AMD presentation yesterday...NVIDIA's pricing needs to be completely reworked because all of their tiers are now sandwiched between AMD's lineup that is either on par or outperforms the NVIDIA counterpart with more 16GB of VRAM across all tiers.  Even the 3090 (which has 24 GB of VRAM which is overkill) is matched essentially in performance by the 6900XT and the 6900XT is FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS CHEAPER.  I find it hard to recommend any of the NVIDIA 3000 series skews after seeing what AMD brought out honestly...but I am waiting on more 3rd party reviews to be sure.

Personally...I was leaning 3080 to replace my 1080ti but now I'm about 90% sure I'm making the switch to Team Red this year and going with a 6800XT in November.

Edited by AuburnAlumni
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

The RX 6800...has twice the VRAM at 16GB and outperforms it.

Or spend an extra 150 bucks and grab an RX 6800XT which also has 16 GB of VRAM is basically on par with a 3080 in performance.

Honestly...after the AMD presentation yesterday...NVIDIA's pricing needs to be completely reworked because all of their tiers are now sandwiched between AMD's lineup that is either on par or outperforms the NVIDIA counterpart with more 16GB of VRAM across all tiers.  Even the 3090 (which has 24 GB of VRAM which is overkill) is matched essentially in performance by the 6900XT and the 6900XT is FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS CHEAPER.  I find it hard to recommend any of the NVIDIA 3000 series skews after seeing what AMD brought out honestly...but I am waiting on more 3rd party reviews to be sure.

Personally...I was leaning 3080 to replace my 1080ti but now I'm about 90% sure I'm making the switch to Team Red this year and going with a 6800XT in November.

Great info ! I can afford to wait.Do you have the best place to pre-order or buy when it becomes available...I’m in Seattle BTW.

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah AMD was smart bringing out those 16GB Vram cards with Nvidia releasing their 3080's with only 10 GB.

Ok- you've hooked me.What should I do to get in line to order one of these?

33_Squadron_RAF_Hurricane_pilots_Greece_WWII_IWM_ME(RAF)_1246.jpg

I don't know about AMD GPUs, but for anyone looking for an RTX 3000 card, and is in the US, follow the StockDrops Twitter account and notifications, then download the Best Buy app. Put your payment info and address saved in the BB app. Then when the notification comes from Twitter, it's like two clicks to complete a purchase. I was able to get a FE 3080 yesterday with this method.

Back to the topic, I was all ready to pull the plug on the 3070, but they immediateley sold out everywhere. Makes me wonder if ANYwere available or all picked up beforehand by "insiders".

Apparently, the 3070 will have the same performance as the 2080TI for the price of current 2070 super.

AMD may be better, but that is still on paper for now.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Lol that I don't know, I am likely going to stick with my plan to go Nvidia with the 3090.

But nice to see AMD finally giving some good competition in the market for GPU's.

Why in the world would you choose a 3090 now when AMD's 6900XT is 500 dollars cheaper?

Barring the numbers AMD released being just completely fabricated...I don't see how anyone can buy a 3090 now at the current price point.  It makes no sense IMO.

5 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I don't see how anyone can buy a 3090 now at the current price point.  It makes no sense IMO.

Makes a lot of sense to me ... 24 GB GDDR6X + CUDA ... Video rendering pipeline.

I can assure you that the (my Turing) video card is incredibly speedy for any AI / photography related workflow !

It is in that case up to 10 times as fast.

AFAIK AMD RX6000 are gaming cards ... only at this time. 

FYI some hardware facts:

The 6900XT only matches the 3090 when run with a Ryzen 3 5x00X for fast memory access, a 500ish Motherboard, and with games that support the technology.

So IL-2 will not benefit - unless they integrate Dx XII / the API to benefit from this. 

This also assumes that DLSS which also requires Dx XII doesn't get integrated into IL-2, because then even the 3080FE accelerates past the 6900XT.

You see, it is not that trivial. As before, you need to always consider your use-case. For modern engines, it's certainly as quick as advertised and better price to performance ratio. On a personal note, I am very glad that team Green has some competitors now. The RTX2000 series was scalping to begin with. I'd never consider the 3090 to be worth its price of 1500 unless you want to use it professionally. But not for gaming.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

FYI some hardware facts:

The 6900XT only matches the 3090 when run with a Ryzen 3 5x00X for fast memory access, a 500ish Motherboard, and with games that support the technology.

So IL-2 will not benefit - unless they integrate Dx XII / the API to benefit from this. 

This also assumes that DLSS which also requires Dx XII doesn't get integrated into IL-2, because then even the 3080FE accelerates past the 6900XT.

You see, it is not that trivial. As before, you need to always consider your use-case. For modern engines, it's certainly as quick as advertised and better price to performance ratio. On a personal note, I am very glad that team Green has some competitors now. The RTX2000 series was scalping to begin with. I'd never consider the 3090 to be worth its price of 1500 unless you want to use it professionally. But not for gaming.

Like I said, I'm waiting to see 3rd party testing..but even without the rage mod/smart memory running...you're not looking at much difference at all for a card that is a full 1/3 of the price of the 3090.  That's such a massive price/performance difference.

The winner in all of this is the gamer as with AMD now cranking out top tier GPUs, the last major monopoly in the Gaming industry is done with NVIDIA now having true competition.  

As a long time Intel/NVIDIA guy...I'm not blind to the massive improvements Lisa Su and Co. have made over the last several years and I'm most likely going full Team Red on my next build as well.

This new card will be used almost exclusively with GB & CloD and when I get it the new Reverb SDE-less Headset. It will replace my old Nvidia 1080 card & the good but not perfect Pimax5K headset  that (thanks to Ferris Wolf) operates satisfactorily for being about 2 years old. So with that in mind ( and of course price) I wonder what offers the most bang for the buck as a more or less stand alone graphics card that will do the job? Yes I can afford to wait ...like I said even tho I pre-purchased the Reverb I don't expect it before the end of November, but I'd like to be ready for it when it comes.

( Of course there may be another option: wait for prices on new & used 2080ti cards to drop on Ebay, but I'm not at all sure I should trust older "pre-used " cards purchased on Ebay?)

Considering you're waiting for the G2 to arrive:

RTX 3080 Founder's Edition for MSRP or AMD's 6800XT.

North of $800, I'd only be looking at the 6900XT.

The reasons are mannigfold.  But the main one is: The 2080ti is a walk on the blade to fill that resolution. And AIB cards are used to scalp people right now, at least here in Europe, on eBay and even official resellers.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

This is I think about the worst launch by Nvidia I have seen in some time.

Never have I had so much trouble trying to spend some serious money on a new video card.

Here I am over a month since the launch and still can not procure what I want. I just have to wait.

Very frustrating.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Considering you're waiting for the G2 to arrive:

RTX 3080 Founder's Edition for MSRP or AMD's 6800XT.

North of $800, I'd only be looking at the 6900XT.

The reasons are mannigfold.  But the main one is: The 2080ti is a walk on the blade to fill that resolution. And AIB cards are used to scalp people right now, at least here in Europe, on eBay and even official resellers.

You are the Man FW!

bh1b.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, AuburnAlumni said:

Why in the world would you choose a 3090 now when AMD's 6900XT is 500 dollars cheaper?

Barring the numbers AMD released being just completely fabricated...I don't see how anyone can buy a 3090 now at the current price point.  It makes no sense IMO.

I never claimed to having too much sense...

I will see when the time comes.

;)

When AMD's announcement pegged the 6800 with twice the RAM (that I probably won't need) and same 3070 performance (pairing with an AMD motherboard / CPU might give a small performance boost) for $80 more, I got in line for a 3070. After several tries I got through Best Buy's "checkout" button that was SUPPOSED to have meant I had one reserved, but clicking the payment button told me they were out of stock and I had to go back in line. Very frustrating.

Looks like I'll just have to wait until the spring for my upgrades...

Agreed. The AMD alternatives are tasty. Have to wait to see real world testing and then if that pans out availability will be the question I think. 

To dburne’s point I have never owned a GPU from anyone but Nvidia and I am seriously considering AMD.

Will also be interesting to see if Nvidia sharpens their pencil with respect to price and gets their supply straight. 

Edited by TheSNAFU
On 10/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, Blitzen said:

That's because they're being offered by people who bought them despite never intending to use them,  just to sell to [ insert own descriptor ] who'll pay anything just to be able to say they have one,  even though it will soon be yesterday's news.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, Blitzen said:

I´ve a good one for you. This is from Amazon Germany. Ridiculous!

Let´s see what december brings us...

3070-joke.jpg

On 10/30/2020 at 1:54 AM, Gambit21 said:

6800 or 6800XT will by my quandary.

No way would I pull the trigger on a 3070 right now even if I was considering it...I'd at least wait till benches/prince adjustments happen.

Yep!

And they seem to be announcing even more "Out of Stock" cards...I don´t get the sense behind this marketing strategy...

Edited by sevenless
38 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I´ve a good one for you. This is from Amazon Germany. Ridiculous!

Let´s see what december brings us...

3070-joke.jpg

Yep!

And they seem to be announcing even more "Out of Stock" cards...I don´t get the sense behind this marketing strategy...

Good lord that’s like 2 grand Canadian dollars!

On 11/1/2020 at 12:56 AM, RedKestrel said:

Good lord that’s like 2 grand Canadian dollars!

Yep! I have another silly one. Hope the prices get normalized once those cards are becoming available in quantities and the new 6000 series AMD cards are flooding the market. As of yet, pricing is simply absurd. Here:

image.thumb.png.a3bb0f65424c74ca80b21671478c4992.png

Edited by sevenless
  • 2 weeks later...

In Germany you can get some available models for 650-700€ from normal retailers. They seem to receive new batches every other day but are sold out after a couple of hours (so you need to check the stores daily). Prices are higher than on release day though