PTO in IL2 1946

dbzero

If I need a Pacific fix I just fire up IL2 1946 with the SAS/Uktra Pack mod. Even runs most of my Campaign add ons I downloaded or purchased years ago. 

As for DCS I suggest never buy at release and if you can wait for sales to buy discounted. Buying at release runs the real risk of paying gold plated prices and being a beta tester.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dbzero said:

If I need a Pacific fix I just fire up IL2 1946 with the SAS/Uktra Pack mod. Even runs most of my Campaign add ons I downloaded or purchased years ago. 

As for DCS I suggest never buy at release and if you can wait for sales to buy discounted. Buying at release runs the real risk of paying gold plated prices and being a beta tester.

I flew IL 2 from the start in 2000 to 2016. Then I got too much hardware and that software simply could not take it. 
So for me DCS is good and I always buy modules of interest in prebuy. But I do not complain when a beta finally get out. I fly and do what it allowe. 

58 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I flew IL 2 from the start in 2000 to 2016. Then I got too much hardware and that software simply could not take it. 
So for me DCS is good and I always buy modules of interest in prebuy. But I do not complain when a beta finally get out. I fly and do what it allowe. 

Same with me. I first IL2 first off the PC Gamer disk demo and haven't stopped flying it since.

I built my PC a few years back just for IL2. I replaced that rig with my new one which was built for FS20. And it runs IL2 like a boss! :cool:

Wings over Waves and Wings over Jungle are 2 Pacific add ons I bought years ago for IL2 and still run. 

Campaigns for the American and Japanese sides with different aircraft. Hours and hours of entertainment.

Edited by dbzero

6 hours ago, dbzero said:

IL2 1946 is still the king of all WWII air combat sims, full stop.  Nothing including BoX comes close, definitely not DCS.  The only thing 1946 is really lacking is updated graphics and VR.  IL-2 1946 is still the ONLY air combat sim you can do missions like this currently:

She may be dated but 1946 still has a ton to give to the air combat flight sim fan

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

IL2 1946 is still the king of all WWII air combat sims, full stop.  Nothing including BoX comes close, definitely not DCS.  The only thing 1946 is really lacking is updated graphics and VR.  IL-2 1946 is still the ONLY air combat sim you can do missions like this currently:

She may be dated but 1946 still has a ton to give to the air combat flight sim fan

I’ve seen other vid by same creator. 1946 is the best. You have radical designs like the ME-163, Do-235 and stuff that was designed but never flew you can try. 

Age of Kings and Command and Conquer 2 games from the same period have been remastered in HD and re-released. 

IL21946 should be re-mastered and re-released.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

My buddy runs a dual core i3 with a GTX 950, a Samsung SSD bought just for the sim, a Logitech X52, no internet, and an IL2-46 install that runs about 80GB with all the SAS add-ons. And he has zero interest in anything else.

His thing is flying P-47s out of the Pacific islands. If a sim can't do that, he won't even think about it.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

Fired up il2 46 a week ago to be able to fly the ta-152 a little and have to admit there are things I miss in both box and dcs:

the huge selection of planes and the terrific radio chatter. 
But even graphics and vr aside FMs and ballistics as great as they were for their time feel rudimentary compared to modern sims. 
And while AI has some more manoeuvres to choose from this comes at the price of obvious cheating which I don’t miss at all. 
Going back is no option for me. 

Still best all around WWII air combat sim. I mostly play SP and there are tons of great campaigns and missions to choose from. This is the only sim where the air combat with AI is interesting and thrilling. The enemies are good so do those that on your side. You can really see some great tactics and you have to think before making any decision because if it's wrong it'll definitely cost you. After 1946, the SP action in Box feels so dull and numb that it makes me yawn. CloD is also nice, but they have to get rid of those nasty UFO rolls of it's AI.

Edited by Arthur-A

Just lost all my SM's & Campaigms which was sort of a blessing.Now want to download only Pacific Navy, Marine & a few AAF campaigns and SM's.Have checked on the ones over at M4 but as I recall there are more than shown there ...any suggestions where to look for the greatest numbers to fly with the latest BAT  WAW install???

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I still fly 1946 with VP Mod when I want some Pacific Theater Action. It's insane how many different planes and locations you have as choices.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:35 AM, dbzero said:

IL21946 should be re-mastered and re-released.

Il2 1946 with modern graphics and sounds would be absolutely incredible. I've had this same dream myself.

Sadly, I think quite a few more people played and paid for Age of Empires II then Il2 1946. 😔

Edited by Motherbrain

7 hours ago, Motherbrain said:

Il2 1946 with modern graphics and sounds would be absolutely incredible. I've had this same dream myself.

Sadly, I think quite a few more people played and paid for Age of Empires II then Il2 1946. 😔

Still the only place where you can have missions launched from carriers  ( pretty nice ones too...) and in Europe have heavy bombers to fly or attack...I keep IL-2 Bat modded updated &handy for just that reason.

• Upvote 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck
23 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Still the only place where you can have missions launched from carriers  ( pretty nice ones too...) and in Europe have heavy bombers to fly or attack...I keep IL-2 Bat modded updated &handy for just that reason.

I am a relatively recent IL2-1946 user (only in the past couple years). At the time the original IL2 was cutting edge, I was a CFS3 and CFS3 mods guy (1% aircraft project, Over Flanders Fields, etc.).

I bought IL2-1946 cheap in a sale and then downloaded the VP Mod Pack, along with some other mods specific to what I was interested in. The first flight, and especially the first carrier landing, I said to myself, "this is really impressive when you think of how old this game is".

• 8 months later...
wheelsup_cavu
On 10/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, dbzero said:

Wings over Waves and Wings over Jungle are 2 Pacific add ons I bought years ago for IL2 and still run. 

Campaigns for the American and Japanese sides with different aircraft. Hours and hours of entertainment.

I couldn't bring myself to pay 25 or 35 dollars an addon, IIRC there were 5 from PlusWave, when I paid less than 40 dollars for the IL-2 Gold pack way back when. Wish I had those addons now.

Wheels

• 3 weeks later...
-47-Uncle_Bob

this thread made me want to install 1946 again. The mods, omg, the mods, the soundmods......all I miss in box are in 1946. Such a high price for box and flyby sounds suck...bummer. Tiger33 in 1946 is tempting. 

• 4 weeks later...
NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I converted my 1946 installation to the most recent version of BAT, plus some PTO-oriented mini-mods on top of BAT. It's well worth it, if you like PTO, to buy or reinstall 1946. With mods, and especially now with BAT and all the offerings it has, the game has aged very, very well. There are few games as old as 1946 that still look as good and play as well. The sim community has done a lot to keep it alive.

One day we'll get a fully up-to-date PTO simulation with all the unique aspects the theater brings, but for now modded 1946 is king for PTO action.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
NO.20_Krispy_Duck

WxTech mods for Wildcats; WxTech cockpits for early P-40s, WxTech cockpits for P-38; quick mission setups ported over from VPMod; WxTech effects mod; corrected gauge lights for F6F; improved cockpit mesh for F6F; bunch of the custom skins for the PTO aircraft

• Thanks 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

The improved F6F cockpit is by Barnsey, and there's a WxTech improved gunsight that will go with the F6F as well. Throw those in too.