Developer Diary 264 - Discussion

I loved the visual rendition of the Hurricanes cockpit just excellent. Maybe the clock is missing but we are in WIP.

The Dakota is nice to have even if only as an AI and even if there are no paratroopers yet. Improving it step by step is fine with me.

We will have it in the editor and this is all that counts.

Will there be some soviet skins for the Dakota? Thousands were delivered to the Soviets.

Edited by IckyATLAS
On 10/24/2020 at 12:30 AM, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

With the original engine spec at sea level it would be slightly faster than the I-16, if you starting putting cannons on top of it it can end up slower though. Wtih the extra boost modification (1942 timeframe) the speed increases a good bit and with machine gun only armament it ends up very similar to P-40E speeds using 42" at low altitude.

I mean, they can release aircraft performance data earlier, rather than having people wait until it's published. It can help people learn more about the new plane, and it is not a military secret.

1 hour ago, =GW=seaflanker819 said:

I mean, they can release aircraft performance data earlier, rather than having people wait until it's published. It can help people learn more about the new plane, and it is not a military secret.

No offense intended, but the performance specs for the Hurricane are well known and can be found without much trouble online. 

29 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

No offense intended, but the performance specs for the Hurricane are well known and can be found without much trouble online. 

Yes, but they're actual airplane data, not in-game data, I have a lot of world War II airplane manual pdf, but that's not a substitute for in-game data.

50 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I believe they're referring to the text in the in game specs page

36 minutes ago, =GW=seaflanker819 said:

Yes, but they're actual airplane data, not in-game data, I have a lot of world War II airplane manual pdf, but that's not a substitute for in-game data.

Yes, I get that, but it's not like the Hurricane's performance here is going to be somehow dramatically different from how it performed in reality in relation to its opposition. 

34 minutes ago, LLv44_Damixu said:

Hurricane.jpg

To start with yes.

The Finns did have a single captured Mk.II hurricane.

But i dont think they ever flew it in combat

(since by the time it had been repaired back to flyable status the Finns had retired their Hurricane Mk.Is from frontline status).

And in addition the aircraft on the picture it not the original aircraft just a restored Hurricane painted like the original HC-465 / Z2585

Here is an article about it.

https://www.historynet.com/multinational-hurricane-phil-lawtons-hawker-fighter.htm

So while sure they could add a Finnish skin to simulate the captured hurricane.

But similarly they could add German skins for the P-51,Spitfire,P-47,La-5 and Yaks etc.

And British Skins for the Fw-190 and 109s etc and so on.

Since there were examples of most aircraft types that were captured by the opposing side and then re-painted and tested etc.

Does not always mean its worth making an official skin for them.

(i cant recall that there are other Official skins for Captured aircraft currently in the game even though there are examples of many if not most of them in captured colors)

So if people want to fly the Hurri in Finnish colors i can promise you somebody will make a user made skin pretty dang quick...

Edited by mattebubben
20 hours ago, blitze said:

As for non PP zoom fix for canted VR displays - it has been mentioned elsewhere and no need to trumpet it all over the place for a small player base.

What are you talking about? It's not even mentioned here! But it should be because this is the place for it!

Plus it also happens to be very important for that small player base, which, I might add are prepared to spend big money on canted HMDs and are therefore likely to spend big money on IL-2 as well, making them important customers. 

Plus how does mentioning it twice (not that it even was!) even affect you?! 

This comment really pisses me off. 

Trumpeting it all over the place, honestly... 

57 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

This comment really pisses me off. 

Trumpeting it all over the place, honestly... 

@Jason_Williams

I am sure it will be mentioned in the patch notes when it is delivered to the community.  Note to Devs - make sure Canted Display Zoom Fix is mentioned in the patch release notes when it is done.

Great.

Anything else you need help with?

Honestly....

9 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, I get that, but it's not like the Hurricane's performance here is going to be somehow dramatically different from how it performed in reality in relation to its opposition. 

Hard to tell, sit inside a real WW2 Hurricane and fly the  Hurricane the same way how you do this in this game and see how far you come in the real one........

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Livai said:

Hard to tell, sit inside a real WW2 Hurricane and fly the  Hurricane the same way how you do this in this game and see how far you come in the real one........

I guarantee there will be some pilots who will embrace that challenge...and will prove to be exceedingly difficult opponents.  Not me mind you.  I'll be too busy trying to survive in one.

:)

On 10/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, Sybreed said:

Btw, did the dev team know Canada still has flying C47s?

They used to fly over my house daily when I lived in Yellowknife mining diamonds.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

There are DC-3's flying in several places in the world.

Flying and working are not the same. DC3's are still working in the arctic.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Sybreed said:

There was a TV show on history Channel about the airline that still flew those old planes in the northwest territories. Forgot the name of the show, but one of the interns was a girl I went to college with. 

Buffulo Airways and the show was Ice Pilots.

Buffalo_Airways_DC3_GPNR_nose.jpg

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, blitze said:

@Jason_Williams

I am sure it will be mentioned in the patch notes when it is delivered to the community.  Note to Devs - make sure Canted Display Zoom Fix is mentioned in the patch release notes when it is done.

Great.

Anything else you need help with?

Honestly....

Pathetic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:
On 10/24/2020 at 5:35 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Flying and working are not the same. DC3's are still working in the arctic.

I think the RAAF still has two flying.  They use them for avionics testing and retired them several years ago.  Then brought them back shortly after, when they realised modern aircraft don’t take kindly to having holes cut in them and strange bits bolted into place.  

• Upvote 2
  • 1CGS

7 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

There is a something missing on the Hurricane.

There was a bead mounted on the centerline outside the windscreen to complete the reflector gunsight.

Some of em had it, some of em didnt (dunno why):

05.thumb.jpg.0299cc250d3a60363aa4b63f7fe7b6a9.jpg03.thumb.jpg.84eea9dc15e983d673d1f47ed8581067.jpg02.jpg.cd86146e5e590aa910bc63c292e554d0.jpg01.thumb.jpg.09826eb028f3195c18bebd28e25de076.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.b7be679cea72e26d5ebce9828ef317d4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just noticed the straight exhaust on the Mk.IIa  and the fishtail exhaust on the Mk.IIb. Good job 1C on modeling both, that is a nice touch. So many versions and so much attention to detail, it is no wonder it has taken all of a year to create this beauty. It is almost like you guys are trying to make up for not including this iconic fighter with BOS & BOM, which had me grumbling not so nice things to myself for all of these years without it. All will be forgiven soon though!!!:good:

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1

Since the Hurricane is about to be released and playable on the Eastern front, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I am : How many Soviet pilots achieved ace status with the good old Hurri ? I only know of a few :

Pavel Gavrilov (Пётр Миха́йлович Гаври́лов), 152 IAP, who was KIA on March 22, 1943. He was deployed on the Karelian front and only one of his kills (with the Hurrri MkIIB) can possibly be confirmed with a certain level of certainty, based on German / Finnish records

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/soviet_gavrilov.htm

Petr Sgibnev, who fought on the northern front / Murmansk (78 IAP, KIA May 3 1943). 15 reported kills with the Hurri , with 4, may be 5,  that can possibly be confirmed.  

Of course, German / Finnish records are not necessarily all that reliable nor perfectly documented... Still.... 

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/soviet_sgibnev.htm

Boris Safonov (Борис Феоктистович Сафонов) also flew the Hurri on the Murmansk front

From what I know, the Hurri was also deployed around Moscow and Stalingrad, but I never heard of any Hurri Soviet ace in those theaters of operation. Ultimately, may be most of the MkIIs were converted to a ground attack role, especially in and around Stalingrad ?

Here is an interesting perspective on how the Soviets view the Hurri and how it was used

https://vvsairwar.com/2018/06/20/the-soviet-unions-hawker-hurricanes/

Can't wait to fly this plane ! Tks devs for offering the MKII

Modified Soviet Hurricane... With a rear gunner station !!

modified.jpg

Edited by Cleo9
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Cleo9 said:

Ultimately, may be most of the MkIIs were converted to a ground attack role, especially in and around Stalingrad ?

The Hurricanes at Stalingrad were in PVO regiments, but of course that would not have precluded them from flying ground attack missions. 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

The Hurricanes at Stalingrad were in PVO regiments, but of course that would not have precluded them from flying ground attack missions. 

Yes, that's what I thought... Tks... 

Found interesting articles about

C-47 http://www.airwar.ru/enc/cww2/c47.html

and Li-2 http://www.airwar.ru/enc/cww2/li2.html

Скрытый текст

And here is an excerpt on the defensive armament of the S-47:

Unlike the Li-2, the S-47 had no standard defensive armament.  This was typical of all American transport aircraft.  Cases of the installation of machine guns by the Americans on the C-47 are very rare, usually they were not installed here either.  But the Americans worked, as a rule, under the conditions of their air supremacy.  In our country, if necessary, to act in the front-line zone and, especially over the enemy's territory, the lack of weapons became a significant disadvantage.  This, for example, affected the losses of the 5th ADD corps during operations in Slovakia: although the C-47s made up a small part of the corps aircraft fleet.  They accounted for almost half of the downed cars.  There are known cases of installation on the C-47 of the upper turret UTK-1 with the UBT machine gun on the model of the Li-2.  There were even vehicles with an additional pair of ShKAS machine guns in the rear windows of the cockpit.

Edited by =5GIAP=Eeafanas
On 10/26/2020 at 5:31 AM, Ptolemy_Soter said:

There is a something missing on the Hurricane.

There was a bead mounted on the centerline outside the windscreen to complete the reflector gunsight.

Here a some pictures of various Marks fitted with such device

I love how primitive that is! They should definitely hold up the release a few weeks so they can add that ;) (seriously, I wouldn't mind... less seriously, it probably isn't worth the trouble... nice catch though!)

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

I love how primitive that is! They should definitely hold up the release a few weeks so they can add that ;) (seriously, I wouldn't mind... less seriously, it probably isn't worth the trouble... nice catch though!)

I don't want to cause trouble or delays in Hurricane's release.

This is just something I saw while searching on this plane. I was also aware of the fact that not every plane was fitted with such device.

I just wanted to share this, nothing more.

Edited by Ptolemy_Soter
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Obelix said:

On the C47, I don't see the AN/APN-2 Eureka navigator's radar antennas. Is this planned for the final version? (Number 4 on the picture bellow)

C-47-Handbook-Erection-Maintenance-Antennas-Bottom.jpg.09a784405591bf222d68d6a32fbae7bf.jpg

That picture says it's a "Very Late C-47B", while we're getting a C-47A. Perhaps it wasn't an option on the A model?

EDIT: never mind, seems like it was.

Edited by LukeFF
47 minutes ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

I don't want to cause trouble or delays in Hurricane's release.

This is just something I saw while searching on this plane. I was also aware of the fact that not every plane was fitted with such device.

I just wanted to share this, nothing more.

Well, I'm disappointed now 😄 But seriously - thanks for sharing - it is very interesting.

i_ca05-1_lg.jpg.e65d81eea4d2b47fc75b799f91595123.jpg

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That picture says it's a "Very Late C-47B", while we're getting a C-47A. Perhaps it wasn't an option on the A model?

EDIT: never mind, seems like it was.

I have a picture of Douglas' construction line in 1943, all C47 got those antena

It seems that D Day C47 had this device 

Edited by Obelix
1 hour ago, Obelix said:

I have a picture of Douglas' construction line in 1943, all C47 got those antena

It seems that D Day C47 had this device 

Yes, from what I have read, it definitely was something that was around for Operation Market Garden (for instance, that radar set features heavily in the novel The Cauldron), and it probably was something utilized for Normandy as well.

Thoughts, @=FB=VikS?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Han unpinned this topic