Hmmm..... VR working for you these days?

8 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Hahey, I am too.

1) The game supports Oculus, that's what SteamVR is. Your headset can run all VR games.

2) Yeah, it's low res. I've had mine since 2016. You can still be good with it, but you do have to set things up right (don't go overboard on supersampling).

I'm keen for the Reverb G2, we shall see. To be honest, I kinda understand you going back - with the clarity of a 4 year old headset the VR experience is somewhat neutered.

Can you please send your game video configuration settings? Even a screenshot of the video settings ingame will be enough. Thanks!

17 hours ago, ironk79 said:

Only thing I am missing are clickable cockpits, at least for basic functions, but hey, One can dream, right?

First; This game will never have clickable cockpits.

Second; Why are clickable cockpits considered such a boon for VR or any more so than a monitor? It seems to me the best VR game would have every control bound to a physical controller, like a HOTAS. Groping around for a mouse or switching hands to a VR controllers doesn’t seem like a good experience. VR requires you to actually look at anything you’re clicking on, without the magnified movement a TrackIR provides. VR flying games like VTOL use the Oculus controllers as a stick and throttle which I don’t think has any appeal for genuine sim players. And VR “hands” can’t actually touch anything so you’re reaching out for just a hologram you can’t feel. Sims with clickable cockpits have many complaints about how this actually works so it seems IL-2GB is better off in VR without them. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6
18 hours ago, ironk79 said:

Bought VR just because of il2 3 years ago. For me the best overall package, immersion, graphic, feel of flying. Great work from the team, steady improvements really show. 
Only thing I am missing are clickable cockpits, at least for basic functions, but hey, One can dream, right?

There are clickable cockpits in Blitz/DWT, but using some of them will throw TIR into a tizzy and I lose SA on enemy AC in the process. It is just more practical to use VoiceAttack than to fiddle with clickable functions such as switching fuel tanks. Additionally, given the number of controllers I have in my setup, I can duplicate function activations so that I can use either voice activation or controller click to operate a given cockpit control. I can understand clickable controls as a fetish but for practical purposes they are irrelevant and typically distract from essential functions in a WWII CFS.

• Upvote 2

Also you can't build muscle memory with clickable cockpits. 

I get why people enjoy them but I personally don't have the need, with multipliers I have way more buttons on my stick and throttle than I need.

Edit:

Not to mention most people use their mouse and joystick with the same hand, I reckon all that stick juggling while flying would be annoying. 

Edited by Soilworker
  • Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, Zeev said:

I am using the first model of OCULUS and its a nightmare to fly in with IL2 Great Battles - I cannot see anything, everything is blurry, even my aim.
Very disappointed by the first model and the lack of its support in games (to run it in IL2 Great Battles I had to install Steam VR for it to detect the VR device).
Only used it for about 30 min and went back to flying with TrackIr5 or without.

I am not clear on which Oculus version you are using. CV-1 or a DK development version? I still have a CV-1 which ran flawlessly on Win10. I replaced it with the Odyssey OG which offered  a significant graphics improvement, especially with a 1080 Ti. Even so, as an experiment, I was later able to get the CV-1 to run Il-2 BoX on a Win7 pc with an Asus P6T MB and a GTX 1070 graphics card. I am forced to use TIR5 if I fly Blitz, but in no way is it comparable to the tracking available in VR.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, wb-frost said:

iL-2 in VR it's not a game, - its life. Oh no. It's better then life - it's life with restart option...

For me its like playing real life handicapped pilot that got into VVS by mistake with sight issues going into air patrol while forgetting to wear his glasses.

19 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I am not clear on which Oculus version you are using. CV-1 or a DK development version? I still have a CV-1 which ran flawlessly on Win10. I replaced it with the Odyssey OG which offered  a significant graphics improvement, especially with a 1080 Ti. Even so, as an experiment, I was later able to get the CV-1 to run Il-2 BoX on a Win7 pc with an Asus P6T MB and a GTX 1070 graphics card. I am forced to use TIR5 if I fly Blitz, but in no way is it comparable to the tracking available in VR.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately any decent VR costs a lot where I am living because of taxes etc.
I also hate the feel of heat in the eyes and as I understand its the same and even worse with "better"/"newer" VR devices.

Edited by Zeev

Love this game in VR and it's the only way I will play. The only issue I have is there are CPU latency spikes that effect the frame rate. I can't even get a flawless 80 fps experience at all times even with a 10850k and a RTX 3080 no matter what settings I use. Not sure if it's a Steam VR/ Oculus issue or the game

55 minutes ago, Zeev said:

For me its like playing real life handicapped pilot that got into VVS by mistake with sight issues going into air patrol while forgetting to wear his glasses.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately any decent VR costs a lot where I am living because of taxes etc.
I also hate the feel of heat in the eyes and as I understand its the same and even worse with "better"/"newer" VR devices.

I sympathize with your situation, though I did not share the same experience with my CV-1 version. As to "...heat in the eyes..." I've owned a CV-1, both flavors of Samsung Odyssey and now a Valve Index and have never had a visor heat related discomfort experience. I do not discount that some users might. I accept that for you the VR experience would require swimming doggedly upstream without clear benefit.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
4 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I can understand clickable controls as a fetish but for practical purposes they are irrelevant and typically distract from essential functions in a WWII CFS.

Perhaps, yes in combat, but when cruising... or in simple terms: not in combat, they aren't distracting.

My biggest pet-peeve is that people argue that they're fine in RL sims, but irrelevant in WW2 Combat Sims due to fewer switches and systems. Okay, so why did the developers of like      FSX, X-Plane, FS2020 decided to make planes like the X-Cub, Pitts special, Extra 330, Ultralight, and all of these non-Garmin planes have clickable cockpits, and these are planes that probably have the same amount of switches and systems that a WW1 fighter has, huh?

Maybe clickable cockpits in WW2 Combat Flight Sims aren't as irrelevant after all.

• Haha 1

i use voice attack, but mainly for wingman commands. clickable cockpit is just more natural for me, no need to assign dozenz of commands onto Hotas buttons that you have to find blind.

To be fair, i really use (need) it in DCS, there ist just a lot more to click to get the KA50 into the air, a 109 is pretty basic compared to this. Most of the commands that are needed for combat are assigned to my hotas anyway, still, would be a nice feature if you regularly fly different planes.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

The clickpit debate is a dead horse that has been beaten to death on these forums many times over the years.

What’s hilarious is that probably 75% of DCS players just use the key combo cheat to start their aircraft. And in WWII that’s all the click pit is used for. So what use would it be adding that feature here?

• Upvote 2
47 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

What’s hilarious is that probably 75% of DCS players just use the key combo cheat to start their aircraft. And in WWII that’s all the click pit is used for. So what use would it be adding that feature here?

In DCS it's used for a lot of things other than startup, but the problem is that most of the items aren't modeled in GB. During flight, I can immediately think of arming/changing settings on guns, bombs, and rockets, fuel management, cockpit and external lights, stowing/readying the sight and other gunsight settings, and changing radio channels. Maybe more depending on the plane, like some engine management settings where there are cockpit switches or such. Many of these things are just not notable as needing user input in GB though because the game takes care of them here. Not in DCS though.

Edited by unlikely_spider
8 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

In DCS it's used for a lot of things other than startup, but the problem is that most of the items aren't modeled in GB. During flight, I can immediately think of arming/changing settings on guns, bombs, and rockets, fuel management, and changing radio channels. Maybe more depending on the plane, like some engine management settings where there are cockpit switches or such. Many of these things are just not notable as needing user input in GB though because the game takes care of them here. Not in DCS though.

Ok but startup is mostly what it’s used for. Aside from a few other things. Again, it’s a dead issue here and DCS players don’t even do startups. 
CloD spent all this effort to put in clickpits and if I recall correctly there were no SP missions or campaigns that even let you cold start. Only MP had it. 
I personally like doing the full startup but I’m in the minority. So it’s silly to keep asking for that here when 1. It’s a dead topic and 2. The game which has it everyone just uses cheat keys. 
And back on topic, VR players have all sorts of difficulty using clickable cockpits, having to look directly at switches in odd places, expecting to be able to actually touch their cockpit, which I can actually appreciate because VR feels so real you do literally want to touch things but can’t. It’s not as if that feature automatically would make VR better. 

You guys do realize, one very simple sentence

in which this was casually mentioned in passing turned this thread completely on it's heels.

Tisk tisk...

;)

I had a blast playing this game with the Oculus CV1 back in 2017. Meanwhile, I'm playing with a Rift S.

Since then, it got better and better and I still love it! Especially the visibility update last month was a game changer for me.

But despite the immersive experience, I missed the "connection" to the aircraft. Visually I was in the plane, but I missed the haptic feedback. So I bought a Butkicker Gamer 2 this week and what can I say: WOOOW! That was the missing piece! It feels so real that it has become a must-have for me. Highly recommended!

• Upvote 4
20 hours ago, MontanaZh said:

So I bought a Butkicker Gamer 2 this week and what can I say: WOOOW! That was the missing piece! It feels so real that it has become a must-have for me. Highly recommended!

If you haven't already, be sure to add @Andre's SimShaker software into this mix to take it one level further.

• Thanks 1
On 10/29/2020 at 11:58 AM, Soilworker said:

Again: Muscle memory. 

Once you know where they are it's no problem whatsoever. 

still prefer funktional cockpit buttons for certain commands (more so if you switch between lot of different aircraft). For example, try startup procedure in the KA50 with just the hotas, no keyboard and in VR, good luck with that. IL2 planes are thankfully not that complex, still would apreciate the option to use it.

49 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

still prefer funktional cockpit buttons for certain commands (more so if you switch between lot of different aircraft). For example, try startup procedure in the KA50 with just the hotas, no keyboard and in VR, good luck with that. IL2 planes are thankfully not that complex, still would apreciate the option to use it.

Well my counter argument is I don't have to worry about where different controls are for different aircraft because they're all in the same place for me. 🙂

On 10/29/2020 at 4:58 AM, Soilworker said:

Once you know where they are it's no problem whatsoever. 

Yep. 

When Desert Wings-Tobruk came out I had problems... well, actually, brief problems finding where things on the new planes like the Fuel Cocks were (had to ask in the MP chat their location in the Wellington, and Spiritus told me where they are), but once I found them, I had no trouble anymore finding them.

So yeah, once you know where they are in the plane it's no problem afterwards.

Salute.

VR is great, at first I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but now that I'm starting to get used to it and getting all the visuals tweaked to my liking, I can't really fly without it. Tried to fly with trackir the other day and I just couldn't do it. The sense of scale/depth and actually sitting in the cockpit of the aircraft just makes the experience in VR 100 times better than when you are looking at a flat screen.

Now I just wish I had the hardware to run it maxed out.

Hopefully one day we'll get a flyable B-26 so I can have the VR experience of flying a medium bomber over the channel, or the Pacific with trying to land a wildcat or devastator on a carrier in VR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Varibraun said:

If you haven't already, be sure to add @Andre's SimShaker software into this mix to take it one level further.

Thanks, I tried the wings demo already but it won't work with my hardware. I followed every step of the guide but I think the problem is, that I use my onboard sound card (motherboard) instead of an external sound card.

I'm very happy with the buttkicker out of the box. Is it really such a big difference using @Andre's software?

Hi guy's , I've had a long gap (over twelve years) from flight sims , PC's and gaming in general , but last year i had the yearning to jump back in and was pleasantly surprised to find that Il2 was still going and now supported VR.

That was it a new rig was built and a year later, after flying pretty much every day I'm still blown away by the VR experience.  I'm still mesmerized by the shadows and lighting cast over the cockpit and wings whilst on route to a target.  I don't know if this is even possible but wouldn't it be great if you could see the shadow of your own head cast over the cockpit/wing as you lean forward or turn to check instruments etc it would complete the immersive experience. 

I don't think there's any going back to playing on the screen , if VR dive bombs then there will probably be another long gap before coming back.

Anyway  great job 1C lovin it.

Edited by shirazjohn
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, MontanaZh said:

I'm very happy with the buttkicker out of the box. Is it really such a big difference using @Andre's software?

I was honestly surprised how big the difference was for me - so much so that since getting my first Buttkicker about a year ago, I have added another for my controls and a JetSeat.  Andre has really done a great job using the Devs code to isolate the effects more than just by raw sound output.  (Thanks again to @Jason_Williams for making it available).

18 minutes ago, MontanaZh said:

I use my onboard sound card (motherboard) instead of an external sound card.

Me too, so I found the simplest way to use Simshaker was to just add a cheap USB plug in sound card cable.  I think it was $15 or less.  My advice would be to get one from Amazon and try the Simshaker demo again to see what you think.  If you don't agree with me, just return the USB sound card.

Edited by Varibraun
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

I was honestly surprised how big the difference was for me - so much so that since getting my first Buttkicker about a year ago, I have added another for my controls and a JetSeat.

Thanks, you've sold me with that! I'll try it with that cable first, but it's not about money. Around Christmas it's time for a new PC build and a HP Reverb G2. Maybe I'll install a separate sound card directly, so it will work without that cable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MontanaZh said:

Thanks, I tried the wings demo already but it won't work with my hardware. I followed every step of the guide but I think the problem is, that I use my onboard sound card (motherboard) instead of an external sound card.

It's actually quite a significant improvement, I was very surprised and pleased. 

Yeah you do need a second sound card or audio device. I have an audio interface for my speakers plus my VR HMD provides another audio source so I use my motherboard's onboard sound card for Simshaker. 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:29 PM, Zeev said:

Can you please send your game video configuration settings? Even a screenshot of the video settings ingame will be enough. Thanks!

For Oculus Rift/Rift S/Quest + Link.

1) Use OpenComposite.

2) Oculus Tray Tool Supersampling at 0.9 (if you can stand it)

image.png.440e8b9386421afbdb7c2b111a27fb60.png

3) Best spotting settings:

image.thumb.png.4dc1968d50f5913ce23dd175c13ca48c.png

Going up to "Balanced" does look better, but spotting gets substantially worse due to our terrible resolution.
Anti-Aliasing will kill your spotting. Learn to live with jaggies (bonus, you get less headaches because the pixel corners are sharp and allow your eye to focus on something)

HDR seems good, have tested it on a monitor and it conclusively gives better spotting. However in VR it just... doesn't. I don't know why. I have to keep it off or I don't see anyone - need to test this further. 

HDR tests so far (played in VR - recorded on monitor)

https://gfycat.com/slightzealousfrilledlizard

https://gfycat.com/unsightlyniceaxolotl

• Like 2

Just thought i'd throw my two cents in on the clickable cockpits discussion, as a brand new player, a person who is brand new to flight sims and someone who thought clickable cockpits in VR would be great, i use a Rift S, i got this game and i also tried the demo of x plane the other day, using the Rift controllers (your virtual hands) to fly the plane felt horrible to me, no weight is probably the best way i can describe it whilst on the other hand using a joystick in IL2 in VR feels brilliant, feels like you have actually got the controls in your hands and gives a much more immersive feeling than the no weight feeling when using virtual hands, so for me even if IL2 had the option of using virtual hands to interact with the cockpits i would still stick with the joystick. :joy:

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

For Oculus Rift/Rift S/Quest + Link.

1) Use OpenComposite.

2) Oculus Tray Tool Supersampling at 0.9 (if you can stand it)

image.png.440e8b9386421afbdb7c2b111a27fb60.png

3) Best spotting settings:

image.thumb.png.4dc1968d50f5913ce23dd175c13ca48c.png

Going up to "Balanced" does look better, but spotting gets substantially worse due to our terrible resolution.
Anti-Aliasing will kill your spotting. Learn to live with jaggies (bonus, you get less headaches because the pixel corners are sharp and allow your eye to focus on something)

HDR seems good, have tested it on a monitor and it conclusively gives better spotting. However in VR it just... doesn't. I don't know why. I have to keep it off or I don't see anyone - need to test this further. 

HDR tests so far (played in VR - recorded on monitor)

https://gfycat.com/slightzealousfrilledlizard

https://gfycat.com/unsightlyniceaxolotl

Thanks a lot for the detailed guide!

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Unless your screens are specifically built with HDR capability this settings not going to do anything for you, far as I know there are no HDR capable VR sets.  Doubt most monitors have it either, more likely with high end TV's.

No, HDR displays are unrelated to this type of HDR rendering. The in-game HDR setting has a visible effect on normal displays.