Hmmm..... VR working for you these days?

Jason_Williams

IL2 in VR is amazing, I enjoy putting my real life pilot friends to fly it , they are blown away (some of them have flown and owned this very same warbirds IRL) I cannot get them off my PC once they start flying IL2 when they visit, and their wives get pissed at them sometimes :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

ECV56_Lubermatz

I started using VR with and for IL2. I think it runs well but it could be really optimized. Stuttering in MP has never been totally solved and its really the only experience drawback right now. Always hoping for an engine upgrade on CPU usage and multiplayer performance.

S!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

IL2 in VR is amazing, I enjoy putting my real life pilot friends to fly it , they are blown away (some of them have flown and owned this very same warbirds IRL) I cannot get them off my PC once they start flying IL2 when they visit, and their wives get pissed at them sometimes :)

I'm looking forward to it, but have to hold-off for now.

I always loved the more visceral experience in the old sim of flying the i-16 with the open cockpit, or the Zero with the canopy open etc.

I imagine the FC WWI birds, the U2 and the i16 especially are quite something in VR. :)

• Upvote 1

Long time addicted Of flight sim games . For me VR has been a really game changer. I’ve just bought every title published from 1985 to the Present day but  GB series is my first choice since VR implemented.  I’m waiting VR for FS 2020 and hope to play one day CLOD/Tobruk wearing my HMD...

IL2 GB in VR is a dream come true,

others are indeed  still enjoyable pieces of software but today i’m spending 99% of my flying time in Il2GB-VR.

• Upvote 1

Got my first VR device in Jan 2017.

Have not played a game outside of VR since. And I have tried.

IL-2 is my main go to for gaming and has been ever since 1CGS added official support for VR.

I also enjoy other VR games as well, I even very much enjoy Star Wars Squadrons.

1CGS has done an incredible job with their VR support with this sim and it has had many nice improvements.

It is the only way I fly.

• Like 3

GOA_Firebird_VR

VR is the only way for me, despite the problems of contacts detection ( which been so far corrected and improved ) and the low resolution of some of our devices, the way as Il2 GB recreate the enviorment of the cockpits and the scenary just blow away my mind.. I try with Tobruk with my trackir , but its imposible .. really, i simply cant not step back to trackir.

Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think I've seen mention of the relationship between the BoX pilot physiology modeling and VR. To me this combination is synergistic. In flat earth mode, when you grey or black-out, only your monitor view is affected. You are simply staring at an altered display screen. In VR though your entire access to outside visual reference is compromised. I know the development team is well aware of how their physiology module enhances the VR experience, but I suspect that many folks have yet to recognize how much the team's efforts to advance the physiology modeling contributes to the overall VR experience.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:06 AM, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

I don't fly IL-2 without VR anymore.  Bought Tobruk to support them but haven't played it yet till they add VR in. 

A good HOTAS, Simshaker and VR setup takes me out of my living room and into the cockpit over Europe. 

Well said, same for me.  IL-2 in VR only and purchased Tobruk to support the team whilst waiting and hoping for VR functionality from Team Fusion.  JetPad with SimShaker For Wings software is great with VR :)

Also using a very old force feedback joystick, MSFF2, whilst hoping that one day a manufacturer will start making a new FF stick.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

18 hours ago, messsucher said:

Grandpa gaming 😄

Well, I am a Grandad and I don't want or need a snap view for checking six, LOL.  And no, I don't have a swivel seat either.  I do have a nice silk scarf to keep my neck warm though :)

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Also using a very old force feedback joystick, MSFF2, whilst hoping that one day a manufacturer will start making a new FF stick.

Those are amazing artifacts I think no other gaming genre have.

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Well, I am a Grandad and I don't want or need a snap view for checking six, LOL.  And no, I don't have a swivel seat either.  I do have a nice silk scarf to keep my neck warm though :)

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Tip of the hat to ya, same here.

And we have 9 grandkids.

• Thanks 1

SYN_Luftwaffles

Mine (Samsung+) not-so-randomly crashes the first time I load up and click multiplayer. But then after crashing out and restarting vr it works fine. I think it's steam....

Anyways, it's the only way to play! Can never go back to flat screen gaming ☺️

[DBS]Browning

Last time I did fly on a flat screen I felt briefly dizzy when I looked behind my plane without moving my head all the way round. 

Some sort of lack of motion sickness maybe? 

• Haha 1

@Jason_Williams

VR is working exceptionally well for me thank you.

Most of my computer entertainment time is spent in Il2 VR with a dash of DCS and Alien Isolation thrown in (yes you can play a mouse and keyboard fps title in seated VR without puking).

A few years ago, when I was getting back into Il2, it was a question of invest in a large widescreen monitor or a VR headset.  At the time there weren't many VR headset choices and most of them were narrow FOV types with poor resolution.  Then I researched and stumbled across a Chinese VR Enthusiast company launching a Kick Starter campaign.  I went in for it with the Pimax 8K.

Long Story short, I stuck with the 8K even when I tried it initially through a 1070 GTX powered laptop.  Over the last couple of years hardware purchases and software developments have continually improved the experience and there is no way I would go back to a flat screen and TrackIR.  Il2 is the best flying experience and now I enjoy it in 4K native VR with the new Pimax 8K-X.  Spotting issues have been resolved and now the soon to release update fixes the zoom issue with canted displays.  Prior, I just closed an eye as PP sucks.

Looking forward to many years of Il2 VR greatness to come with further updates and content.

Thanks to the team for providing a AAA VR title.

• Upvote 1

Like many of you, I pretty much exclusively play sim games, and only in VR. It blows my mind that VR hasn't grown more over the last few years - the experience is simply incredible. 

If you haven't already, please go and post on that PC gamer article that @Jason_Williams shared - let's grow the VR and IL2 community! :)

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 8.02.42 AM.png

[Pb]RedeyeStorm

Since I bought the Oculus Rift I have almost exclusively played VR games. There are a few games without VR I play at times but staring at a screen just doens’t have a wow factor no matter how beautiful the game is. I had a friend try out Il2 with VR and he had to stop after he managed to spin his plane! He got sick and turned white. No better ‘realism’ possible. All though I sometimes regret that the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach is now gone for good after hours of playing Il2 in VR.

No VR, no buy! Period.

Used TrackIR for amost a decade but since I got VR I will never go back. The VR is so well made for this game.  

On 10/23/2020 at 5:04 AM, QB.Creep said:

Like many of you, I pretty much exclusively play sim games, and only in VR. It blows my mind that VR hasn't grown more over the last few years - the experience is simply incredible. 

If you haven't already, please go and post on that PC gamer article that @Jason_Williams shared - let's grow the VR and IL2 community! :)

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 8.02.42 AM.png

If you have already registered to the forum you've imaged might direct them to this thread if appropriate. I have no desire to register there.

VR all the way!! :cool:

With VR you no longer just "play" a game, instead you "experience" it. Especially with titles like IL-2.

• Like 1

The only games I put my 4.5 year old headset (and PC) on for are IL-2 and Beat Saber. Both are games that I can just blast in for 1 hour and have a complete experience. I have lots of other titles, but I guess I'm waiting for VR version 2 to have a reason to reinstall them.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, unlikely_spider said:

What are the problems with it?

Initially hotas had a large deadzone, but that has been fixed. There were also micro stutters and CTDs in VR. I believe most of those are working better, but not entieely gone now too. 

As I understand it, the main remaining VR issue in Squadrons is that the external view is locked at 60fps. That hasn't really bothered me so much, but everyone's mileage will vary. 

Other current issues are the ranking system is currently not working, and there is an AI weakness that is causing significant problems in the meta. I believe the main meta problem is supposed to be fixed in the next path, along with some rebalancing. 

Honestly, I find it fun to fly, even with the rough launch, and I think it's probably going to get better over time, but your mileage will vary. We will see. 

On the overall state of VR, I find it tremendous, but with a number of barriers to use that prevent it really going mainstream. The system overhead, the fairly fractured landscape, and a number of physical issues (ipd range, head diameter, glasses, nose space) are adding a lot of barriers to use that are inhibiting casual adoption, and limiting even hardcore useage. 

When it works, the experience is absolutely breathtaking, but there is still enough friction to usage that I still find myself spending most of my time in non-VR games, simply because of the time commitment it takes to go from "I want to play X" to "I'm now playing X" is just high in VR. 

That said, last year, I did my first big computer upgrade since 2013 just to play Il-2 in VR, and am already looking at doing more, larger, more expensive, hardware upgrades again this year just to play Il-2 and DCS in VR better. 

I think we are right around the equivalent of the pre-Glide era of 3D graphics. There are niche applications that show the potential of VR, but there is enough fragmentation in the hardware that its not quite ready to go wild yet. At some point, we're going to see some VR company get the formula right, and things are going to explode, but I don't think the hardware is quite there yet. 

Edited by Voyager
Multipost for the Win!

[120DIS]KathoriasTV
On 10/21/2020 at 3:41 PM, TWC_Sp00k said:

Flat screeners are like Windows 7 users. Eventually they will be forced to move forward into the world and give up their archaic beliefs in Norse gods, witches and fairies. I equate them to an older generation, forced to learn the internets so they can use google or email. We must continue to encourage them and as difficult as it may be to show that patience, we must remember they are an example and reminder of an earlier age, like the Wright Brothers.

VR users are pioneers for the future, breaking new ground, forcing new technologies, tsk tsk’ing our flat screening colleagues at times who unknowingly slow eventual progress to realtime interactive hologram gaming.  Eventually they will trade in their plows and pitchforks and we shall look on them fondly as we do the Dinosaurs.   Our kids will know all of their names, have boxes of cheap plastic toys in their image and their bones will become treasured items behind glass.  Naturally,  we will be look upon all of this in crystal clear vision with 3D spatial awareness and looks of amazement on our faces.

Now if we had a snap view of our 6, it might be the moment electricity was discovered for our flat screening friends.

This sounds deranged. Just letting you know.

Edited by [120DIS]KathoriasTV
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, [120DIS]KathoriasTV said:

This sounds deranged. Just letting you know.

This caused me some concern. I deferred to 3 of my doctors and only 1 agreed with you.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

This caused me some concern. I deferred to 3 of my doctors and only 1 agreed with you.  

Ha ha

I envy those appreciating VR in such degree. 
I like it in GB. But that is it. A proper built pit is much more immersive in just about every thing else. Since I fly pretty much everything else my vr goggles collecting dust. 

"A proper built pit..."

Not even sure what that means or how it would preclude use of VR.

I think the GB series has attracted many players to VR because it is built on a solid game engine that lends itself to a favorable VR experience. If the GB series contained multiple idiosyncrasies and requirement to chase down various game crash causes I suspect many players would have run screaming away from VR. More likely, the developers would not have had the confidence to field a VR implementation. I think the prime directive for VR implementation is to start from a stable base game.

VR got me back into sims, I don't fly IL-2 without VR anymore.  I spent money on Tobruk to support the team, but haven't played it because I wait until they add VR. 

VR experience in IL-2 improved substantially over time, but further optimization in terms of performance is still required, especially around MP. Also minor quality of life additions (e.g. VR loading screens vs. black void, some interface improvements) might be helpful... 

• Upvote 1

6 months ago, when I first put the VR headset on my head in the IL-2, after making the first barrel I fell off my chair and damaged my shoulder.

Since then, I can't imagine flying without VR. I had a break from sims when my goggles crashed. I was not able to switch back to the free track.

IL-2 BoX is the best product for VR on the market in terms of immersion and optimization.

• Thanks 1

I bought VR in 2017 because of this title, bought a second headset just before the pandemic because of this title and I see myself buying a third headset in another 3 years because of this title. It is that good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

proper built pit..."

Not even sure what that means or how it would preclude use of VR.

That is just the case. You do not know. 
It means instruments, tracking screen , knobs and switches gps and map set up on another screen. Stuff that cost a lot more than vr goggles and a warthog set. But bring in real immersion not obtainable using VR

But fir this sim. VR is a great expirience 

So I do not disagree on that. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Bought VR just because of il2 3 years ago. For me the best overall package, immersion, graphic, feel of flying. Great work from the team, steady improvements really show. 
Only thing I am missing are clickable cockpits, at least for basic functions, but hey, One can dream, right?

• Like 1

VR working for you these days?

Maybe a little too well for me since my Reverb G1 recently went down, and I found I didn't enjoy flying without VR.  Now I will be keeping the newly arrived warranty replacement G1 even once I receive a G2 just so that I have a backup.  My wife even supports that decision not to sell the G1 because she said I was "grumpy" for a month awaiting the Covid delayed replacement...

Thank you team for all the hard work bringing us a great VR experience!

Regarding the G1 - I should have listened to the advice in the VR section to protect the single cable portion with some zip ties.  It doesn't like hanging naturally with the weight of the double cable and that cable bend finally caused blacking out (fortunately just barely still within the one year warranty).  Hopefully, HP will have that problem remedied with the new cable for the G2. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:25 AM, Gambit21 said:

I'm looking forward to it, but have to hold-off for now.

I always loved the more visceral experience in the old sim of flying the i-16 with the open cockpit, or the Zero with the canopy open etc.

I imagine the FC WWI birds, the U2 and the i16 especially are quite something in VR. :)

It's awesome! Built a complete Homepit with buttkicker etc as well as two giant fans blowing cold wind into my face when flying 😂 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HBB*Hunger said:

It's awesome! Built a complete Homepit with buttkicker etc as well as two giant fans blowing cold wind into my face when flying 😂 

Nice!

Looking forward to VR in these birds at some point. 👍🏼

Thing I want most is the Channel map. Next the Mossie and Tiffy. If I could just have early Spifire, Hurri and Bf109 as collector' planes I'd be set 🙂

Edited by Dagwoodyt

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It means instruments, tracking screen , knobs and switches gps and map set up on another screen. Stuff that cost a lot more than vr goggles and a warthog set. But bring in real immersion not obtainable using VR

That's more a case of the technical immaturity of VR. We are heading towards a point where you can have that sim-pit in an entirely virtual space, and just need the chair and enough free space around you to flip all the switches. 

But, yeah, we're not really quite there yet. 

5 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Have to vehemently disagree.

For background, I used to play the original IL2 back in the early 2000s with Track IR and a nice HOTAS and pedals set up. I've been a professional pilot now for only about 12 years, but I've had plenty of experience in Level D sims with 100% accurate cockpits and functional switches and avionics, not to mention full motion.

VR is just on another level when it comes to something like a WW2 combat sim, especially when you factor in its ability to put you in the cockpit of some of these now rare and unique old war birds. It took me a long time to come back to sims, but I'm so glad I did, and it's all because of VR. Even with the problems of performance and resolution, I don't think I could ever go back. Unless you have a home sim set up that uses actual vintage or replica hardware, I don't see how what you're saying can possibly be true, and even then, you'd be missing something as fundamental as depth perception.

When you're in a steep dive in VR and looking through a Revi with your dominant eye and it just works how it would it real life -- it's really tough to beat.

• Upvote 3

On 10/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zeev said:

I am using the first model of OCULUS and its a nightmare to fly in with IL2 Great Battles - I cannot see anything, everything is blurry, even my aim.
Very disappointed by the first model and the lack of its support in games (to run it in IL2 Great Battles I had to install Steam VR for it to detect the VR device).
Only used it for about 30 min and went back to flying with TrackIr5 or without.

Hahey, I am too.

1) The game supports Oculus, that's what SteamVR is. Your headset can run all VR games.

2) Yeah, it's low res. I've had mine since 2016. You can still be good with it, but you do have to set things up right (don't go overboard on supersampling).

I'm keen for the Reverb G2, we shall see. To be honest, I kinda understand you going back - with the clarity of a 4 year old headset the VR experience is somewhat neutered.

• Like 1

Feature request:. If you are reading this developers, I'd love to have the ability to fine tune separation ala the +/- 3 %.  

Might not be necessary after the new update... But there it is.  👍 ( disclaimer; I think I may have posted this in the past)

As for feedback, it's kind of the gold standard for VR for me - IL2 BoX.  The limitations I have with the tech are hardware (ie:  poor colour reproduction in my headset, or lately a bad connection with my headset cable) and not related to the software at all.  I only want to "tweak" a bit, to milk my headset and VR flight for all it's worth.  Your company has made that possible, so the experience is good.  Lately, I can spot aircraft much much better than I can remember.  I know that is a result of all the recent work you've poured into this effort.  I could nit pick at this request or that, but really, every little addition so far has worked out for the better for me, and I'm personally enjoying the experience of VR flight tremendously.  Maybe that's a little more useful.  :)

The only way it gets better is if my already pretty good hardware suddenly becomes "spectacular", and that isn't happening soon for me.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

9 hours ago, Kablamoman said:

VR is just on another level when it comes to something like a WW2 combat sim

Well I guess it is subjective. For me VR is a improvement in this game but simply rubbish in others. First off it is not worth the upgrade of hardware required. You double up the speed of upgrade since gpu and goggles do not follow eachother. 
to me it is like having scuba diving equipment on. You might have expirience from commercial flights. But having a dedicated screen for target aiming in dcs is and will always be a advantage. But I derail this topic by continuing. I dropped out of vr because I simply hate strapping that watercloset to my head. And the scuba vision. I( have been a proffesional scuba diver ) might be a reason I do not like it. Having full set of instruments panels and extra screen is to me the best way. But as this topic is on about. GB is simplified to such a degree that a standard hotas got all the buttons you need. And there is no way to utilize extra screens. That is why I use vr in GB. 
But the hallelujah experience about it. I simply cannot understand. 
buying gpu every year and goggles every second is simply not justified all tho one can afford it. 
When goggles come by the size and comfort as sunglasses. I might feel different about it. To me it is not a winner as is. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte