Jason_Williams

Hmmm..... VR working for you these days?

I think PC Gamer should hear from IL-2 simmers on their VR experiences. Seems the first person crowd is not sold on the idea yet.

Oh and zoom with Pimax and canted screens (no pp needed) has been fixed in our next update.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-do-you-feel-about-the-state-of-vr-in-2020/?utm_content=buffer4ab45&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb&fbclid=IwAR2iGgSjvulLGLZlG-JhbK5_fooVi8idsVsldi3NPwVucWf7uqfM9tc-xxU#comment-jump

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 3

VR works damn good in this game, giving the immersion like you would be inside the aircraft and trashing TrackIR to the bin as a head tracker.

VR in IL2 is the only way to fly! 😉

Edited by ACG_Snowy
  • Upvote 6

I use THIS sim, because it works so great in VR. Without VR ist impossible for me now. Thanks for the great VR support.

• Upvote 4

This sim and Elite Dangerous are, for me, VR's killer apps. I flew some DCS last night in VR and it just didn't impress.

I tried to comment on the PCmag article to buff IL-2 to the masses but their captcha system didn't play well with my heavily ad-blocked and script-blocked browser. Can't be bothered to figure out which layer of protection was getting in the way. :scratch_one-s_head:

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Oh and zoom with Pimax and canted screens (no pp needed) has been fixed in our next update.

Jason

Oh.  Yes.

• Upvote 1

VR literally makes the sim. There is no going back. Would never play any other one that didn't have it.

• Upvote 3

In last 3 years I didn´t play anything what is not VR, and I play a lot :)  And I will never go back.

There are many great vr games (Skyrim vr, Fallout 4vr, Asgards Wrath, Lone echo, Arizona sunshine...), there are many excellent vr mods (Doom 3 BFG vr, Quake...), and there is the best VR game for my taste: IL-2!

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

I can´t wait :)

If it has no VR it gets none of my money. Hope Cliffs of Dover and Desert Wings-Tobruk

Get VR soon.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, messsucher said:

VR works damn good in this game, giving the immersion like you would be inside the aircraft and trashing TrackIR to the bin as a head tracker.

The, same here, no TrackIR usage anymore. The VR (and I was very VR skeptical), does have in my opinion the same impact as my first joystick, the MS FFB1 when playing flysims. 

But since I have an VR headset, I only fly VR. Despite how good a flysim is like Clod Tobruk, WOFF, FS2020 or an racegame, if it does not have an VR mode I’m not buying it. 

I don't fly IL-2 without VR anymore.  Bought Tobruk to support them but haven't played it yet till they add VR in. 

A good HOTAS, Simshaker and VR setup takes me out of my living room and into the cockpit over Europe. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Il2 alone is the reason i bought Rift CV1, then Rift S and now preordered Reverb g2, still waiting 3080 to get in stock....this game made me bankrupt 😅

Now...B25 cockpit with animated copilot in VR, that would be a blast! 

//ju88a17 too// 😉

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon

VR is the reason I got in to MP in this game. I had BoS, but I only bought BoM, K, BP because of VR.

I truly hadn't really seen the point of properly flying beforehand, despite having flown thousands of hours in various flight sims. VR got me in to the dogfighting side of things.

Frankly, I couldn't care less for majority of VR games, but the few ones I actually do play have kept me busy for almost 3 years now, making VR easily worth it for me to this day. IL-2 in VR is definitely one of them, H3VR being another.

I just bought and tried the new Star Wars Squadrons in VR. The VR user experience can be summed up as.....

Hot

Mess

Triple As can't do as well as you guys have done @Jason_Williams

No wonder the average schmo thinks VR is overrated when they are presented with that fuster cluck as their main and maybe only experience.

Edited by 40plus
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I agree.  SW Squadrons is not the VR showcase it should be.  I don't know exactly why.  I have a better VR experience in IL2.  I'm a bit giddy for this next release now that it may solve my Pimax issue (disclaimer NOT a real issue -but being able to play now without PP on!?).  Not that I'm not also tickled for that incoming hurricane... something something.  ;)

Edited by JG51_Beazil

13 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

zoom with Pimax and canted screens (no pp needed) has been fixed in our next update.

Thank you so much! 

• Upvote 2

This is the sim I use only VR. DCS I benefit not using VR in some modules. Do not miss VR in Cod nor FS 2020.  
GB is all about VR

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

I am using the first model of OCULUS and its a nightmare to fly in with IL2 Great Battles - I cannot see anything, everything is blurry, even my aim.
Very disappointed by the first model and the lack of its support in games (to run it in IL2 Great Battles I had to install Steam VR for it to detect the VR device).
Only used it for about 30 min and went back to flying with TrackIr5 or without.

Edited by Zeev

15 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Many thanx from 8kx owner.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Zeev said:

I am using the first model of OCULUS and its a nightmare to fly in with IL2 Great Battles - I cannot see anything, everything is blurry, even my aim.
Very disappointed by the first model and the lack of its support in games (to run it in IL2 Great Battles I had to install Steam VR for it to detect the VR device).
Only used it for about 30 min and went back to flying with TrackIr5 or without.

well the first model of oculus just has terribly low resolution, there is no way around that. I have tried HP reverb g1 and imo it had barely bearable resolution (4k). U could read instruments well and ID planes from reasonable distance. The reason i did not keep it was the cable was too stiff and heavy for my liking.

Edited by Mollotin

Love me some VR gaming in IL-2! It was the main reason I upgraded my PC over a year ago, and purchased a Rift S with some credit card points I had saved up. Flyin in VR makes me giggle like a little girl every time I first spawn into the cockpit and just look around. It's pure joy from someone who loves WW2 airplanes their entire life and will probably never sit in the cockpit of a warbird let alone own or fly in one, truly a dream come true for many of us who grew up playing flight sims in the 90s. Thank you.

Now I just need more free time to fly this game!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

I agree.  SW Squadrons is not the VR showcase it should be.  I don't know exactly why.

Aaaaand, I've refunded it. What a disappointing mess. IL-2 and E.D. are still the gold standard in VR for me at least.

28 minutes ago, 40plus said:

Aaaaand, I've refunded it. What a disappointing mess. IL-2 and E.D. are still the gold standard in VR for me at least.

What are the problems with it?

Flat screeners are like Windows 7 users. Eventually they will be forced to move forward into the world and give up their archaic beliefs in Norse gods, witches and fairies. I equate them to an older generation, forced to learn the internets so they can use google or email. We must continue to encourage them and as difficult as it may be to show that patience, we must remember they are an example and reminder of an earlier age, like the Wright Brothers.

VR users are pioneers for the future, breaking new ground, forcing new technologies, tsk tsk’ing our flat screening colleagues at times who unknowingly slow eventual progress to realtime interactive hologram gaming.  Eventually they will trade in their plows and pitchforks and we shall look on them fondly as we do the Dinosaurs.   Our kids will know all of their names, have boxes of cheap plastic toys in their image and their bones will become treasured items behind glass.  Naturally,  we will be look upon all of this in crystal clear vision with 3D spatial awareness and looks of amazement on our faces.

Now if we had a snap view of our 6, it might be the moment electricity was discovered for our flat screening friends.

• Like 2

The novelty of VR gaming has worn drastically thin; I'll probably never buy another VR title.  Mind you HL:Alyx was great, but once you've played it there's no point in playing anything else.

IL-2 however is really what VR was made for and the experience is repeatedly exciting and breathtaking.  It really is the only way to experience flight simming - no going back!

Edited by BlueHeron

1 hour ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Eventually they will trade in their plows and pitchforks and we shall look on them fondly as we do the Dinosaurs.  

Some of us dinosaurs like our screens just fine. The only survey I’ve seen for flight simulation (Navigraph) shows 90% of players using monitors and those numbers have remained flat through 2018-19. That’s not likely to change soon due to all the limitations of VR. Resolution, game performance and wearing big heavy headsets. VR could still be the next 3D TV...

Yes flight simulation is something we all agree is fantastic in VR but the average gamer is looking at stuff like Office Simulator and isn’t impressed enough by that to drop $$$ on a headset and powerful PC. MSFS 2020 could be a big boost for VR and it’s amazing that the #4 top selling PC game is a flight simulator. But it’s doubtful that game will perform well at all in VR. It’s worth noting that MS didn’t consider VR to be a thing at all when it was launched. And the Xbox ecosystem has no VR like Sony does. Most news I see about VR is similar to the PC Gamer article and aren’t convinced of its’ future

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Flat screeners are like Windows 7 users. Eventually they will be forced to move forward

Truth is you are wrong. Real immersion is having real flight sim hardware and multiple screen. VR is despite expencive gpu and goggles still poor mans immersion. VR is however excellent in simplified games like GB and some DCS modules. I got a bit of both. I do not think I will use VR in FS 2020 for other than ultra light’s

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Flat screeners are like Windows 7 users. Eventually they will be forced to move forward into the world and give up their archaic beliefs in Norse gods, witches and fairies. I equate them to an older generation, forced to learn the internets so they can use google or email. We must continue to encourage them and as difficult as it may be to show that patience, we must remember they are an example and reminder of an earlier age, like the Wright Brothers.

VR users are pioneers for the future, breaking new ground, forcing new technologies, tsk tsk’ing our flat screening colleagues at times who unknowingly slow eventual progress to realtime interactive hologram gaming.  Eventually they will trade in their plows and pitchforks and we shall look on them fondly as we do the Dinosaurs.   Our kids will know all of their names, have boxes of cheap plastic toys in their image and their bones will become treasured items behind glass.  Naturally,  we will be look upon all of this in crystal clear vision with 3D spatial awareness and looks of amazement on our faces.

Now if we had a snap view of our 6, it might be the moment electricity was discovered for our flat screening friends.

Grandpa gaming 😄

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Grandpa gaming 😄

Ha ha that’s who plays flight sims!

• Upvote 1

Personally I've tried every flight sim I can in VR and Il-2 after recent patches is the smoothest running one there is. Don't actually use any headset anymore because I find it uncomfortable and don't find it adds anything to immersion for me, but Il-2 is definitely the best on a technical level

4 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

I disagree with you completely...but I still enjoyed your post.

I'll go VR down the road when I get more for my money.

Looking forward to that day, and I'm glad this amazing sim provides the opportunity.

For now I'm sticking with 4K.

Now I must go...late for the Mastodon hunt.

• Haha 1

Only playing ANY flight sim at this point in my life, late 50s, because of VR.

I could never get the hang of using track ir type view control. Also,  haven't wore out a hat  switch using views since I started using VR. 

I would not play il2 but for VR, and I wouldnt have VR but for il2.

With the new visibility update its better than ever. 

Edited by VA_chikinpickle
  • Upvote 2