TDK1044

I have one small gripe

I'm a casual player and I'm really enjoying the Tobruk campaign. Each patch has improved an already good game. Thank you to the Devs. My only small gripe is the inability to identify the landing strips in the sand. In some lighting conditions it becomes easier, but most of the time, it's extremely difficult. I wish there was a setting in the Options to make this a little easier.

• Like 1

Art can imitate life. I once landed a sailplane beside a grass runway in the setting sun. The crop next to it looked more like a runway!

Fortunately it was a very short crop!

The other instructors thought I was demonstrating a 'land out' to my student.

With great embarrassment I owned up to the mistake.  The combination of setting sun and a pitted windscreen made it very difficult to decide where the runway ended and the crop started.

Depending on the time of year, a grass strip can be very hard to see. Perhaps tho' in the Il2 case, they should 'vis em up' a bit.

Cheers

finnster

Could be the opposite, maybe historically the runways in North Africa were almost indistinguishable from the surrounding sand. In any case, in my humble opinion, those airfields on the Tobruk map are absolutely playable in terms of gameplay.

That’s why I think it would be nice to have a setting that allows for choice. 😊

Looks like that some "runways" in North Africa are just a clean of rocks desert area.

OP - Until your wishes are fulfilled don't look for runways, look for small white "T" banners. TAB-7-2 can guide you for location of an air base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, finnster said:

Art can imitate life. I once landed a sailplane beside a grass runway in the setting sun. The crop next to it looked more like a runway!

Fortunately it was a very short crop!

The other instructors thought I was demonstrating a 'land out' to my student.

With great embarrassment I owned up to the mistake.  The combination of setting sun and a pitted windscreen made it very difficult to decide where the runway ended and the crop started.

Depending on the time of year, a grass strip can be very hard to see. Perhaps tho' in the Il2 case, they should 'vis em up' a bit.

Cheers

finnster

Snap, nearly.  Saw this nice green field after the lift ran out on my cross-country.  On short final there was a gust of wind and the field waved happily at me.  Held the wings dead level and the Olympia 463 stopped in about six feet.  The farmer said 'Why didn't you land on the airfield instead of in the wheat?'  Had quite a job dismantling the aircraft and carrying the bits out to the trailer without further flattening of the crop.

More to the point, you seem to be able to make a wheels-down landing in much of Tobruk's desert.