I'm just putting the feelers out to see if some one on here has any experience with either of these two?

looking to buy both and boy is it a huge sum of money for me,

anyway so just trying to sponge all respective info! (I've read quite abit but I'm no pro)

any advise in would be muchly appreciated !

4 minutes ago, 6FG_ST0N3DLAMA said:

even with the 3090 :d

Yes. 8k is heavy beast in VR. It would be like 12k or something compared to pancake.

I haven't read too favorable reviews in actual use of Primax 8k either. I believe G2 can be much more ironed out product, while being cheaper. I can be wrong, I am just guessing here, but in any case you should hold it and read actual user experiences with this sim specifically.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Yes. 8k is heavy beast in VR. It would be like 12k or something compared to pancake.

I haven't read too favorable reviews in actual use of Primax 8k either. I believe G2 can be much more ironed out product, while being cheaper. I can be wrong, I am just guessing here, but in any case you should hold it and read actual user experiences with this sim specifically.

yeah thanks for the check i'm very impulsive lmao 
thanks for all the info!

22 hours ago, Aurelius_IL2 said:

I have sampled the Pimax 8K and am now using the 3090 in my home rig. The 3090 cannot power the 8K at 90 Hz in IL2. Overall, the Reverb provides a better experience than the 8K.

This just isn’t enough data to be useful. At what settings (Pimax, IL2, everything else) is the 3090 “not enough” ? By “not enough” do you mean it frequently misses the 90hz? What is the average frame rate and under what conditions?

I have a 2080 running my Index at 2100x2300x80hz on High settings in IL2. 3090 is at least twice as quick.

I think a lot of people are mixing up the 8K and 8KX. The 8K upscales from a lower resolution where as the 8KX uses 4K and therefore requires a bit more power. 

@6FG_ST0N3DLAMA

I have the 5K+ and it's not without its issues, I was bitching about them in another thread, I think some have been amended in the 8KX (ie: the strap) but I don't know about the lens on the nose issue. Here it is if you want to read it, maybe it'll be helpful:

Edited by Soilworker
Typos, etc.
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Soilworker said:

I think a lot of people are mixing up the 8K and 8KX. The 8K upscales from a lower resolution where as the 8KX uses 4K and therefore requires a bit more power.

Indeed. The poster I was replying to said 8K and 90hz, which is upscaled ~1440p on the 8K. Original poster was asking about 8KX which is 75hz native or 90hz upscaled. The person talking about their 8K said (without any reference to more detail) that their 3090 wasn't fast enough.

VR is difficult enough without well-meaning members of the community posting unclear or confusing results. If you want to give some useful data, I humbly suggest you include:

• VR headset make and model, and the mode it is running in (native / upscaled, refresh rate, any other pertinent info) -- e.g. "Pimax 8KX, normal FOV, 75hz, smart smoothing off"
  • SteamVR 'resolution per eye' or Pimax / Oculus equivalent -- e.g. "PiTool 1.25, SteamVR 125%, SteamVR resolution per eye 2700x2300"
  • IL2 game settings, maybe not every setting, but give us an idea -- e.g. "High settings but with clouds and shadows on Medium"
  • Results -- e.g. "I get smooth 90 FPS above 1,000 feet but only 70 FPS at an airfield or in a dogfight with more than 3 planes"

Giving a result without stating all of the above isn't very helpful. For example you could run IL2 with everything set to 'Low' and get a lot more frames out of a particular GPU. Or you could undersample the headset. Or you could use the IL2 built-in "render resolution" slider.

• Like 2

My Strix Rtx 2080ti is running 8kx most games in resolution 3700x3150 per eye with 75hz incliding IL2 @ all maps in normal fov.

I would say 5k+ is more heavy for GPU cos to get decent picture you have to heavly supersample it ( like above) and use 90hz

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1
On 10/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, Soilworker said:

Yeah - as one who has both 8K and 8K-X - there is no difference in required processing power between them.  Results on both units are similar when using the same Vertical Per Eye Resolution.  The 3080 in Il2 would be a great match for either. 3090 not worth the money - even if you can get one.

Forgot to mention, the 8K-X wins on the clarity front even in upscaled mode due to the panels.

Edited by blitze
more stuff.

@ OP

I do.

I will only make a post once my Reverb G2 is here and tested as well.

P.S. I can say the 3090 is probably not worth the money if you're even looking at money. If you can get a 3090 AIB anyway for 1800€ and don't care about the money, then by all means go ahead. But I'd wait for a G2 vs. 8KX comparison.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, blitze said:

Yeah - as one who has both 8K and 8K-X - there is no difference in required processing power between them.  Results on both units are similar when using the same Vertical Per Eye Resolution.  The 3080 in Il2 would be a great match for either. 3090 not worth the money - even if you can get one.

Forgot to mention, the 8K-X wins on the clarity front even in upscaled mode due to the panels.

Wait, you're in the canted screen minority?! 

Well that's confusingly hilarious! 😅

Anyway, how do you rate the comfort of the 8K-X over the 8K? I have the 5K+ with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap mod (which is a definite improvement) but I have the common problem of the lenses resting on the bridge of my nose. The 8K-X looks like it's improved in that regard but it'd be good to get a first hand opinion. 

12 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Wait, you're in the canted screen minority?! 

Well that's confusingly hilarious! 😅

I know right - I understand the issues and am a proponent of the headsets.  The wide FOV is great and what got me into them to start - that and the initial 4K screens of the 8K although there were trade offs for the headset screens as 4K native at the time couldn't do higher than 60Hz and to push it, they used a 1440p signal and up scaled it. The screens RGB matrix also was a compromise.

12 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Anyway, how do you rate the comfort of the 8K-X over the 8K? I have the 5K+ with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap mod (which is a definite improvement) but I have the common problem of the lenses resting on the bridge of my nose. The 8K-X looks like it's improved in that regard but it'd be good to get a first hand opinion. 

I think I will have to mod the MAS of the 8K-X.  I have the Metal hinges which prevent the strap from deploying far enough on the back of my head for a secure and comfortable fit.  I can shave 1mm top and bottom of the MAS where it mounts up on the hinge to allow it to move beyond the stops of the metal hinge.  I can wait for Pimax to send out replacements but, we all know that could take a while.

The Face Pad of the 8K-X is nicer but I hated the nose bridge cover but it is clipped in at 3 spots and easy to remove.  If I was concerned with the light leakage after removing it - I would replace it with a cloth alternative but, I don't mind the light leakage as I use the headset in low light conditions.  It also allows a bit of airflow into the headset so I don't feel like I am getting a face sauna at the same time when I use it.

The image quality of the upgrade is nice but, the 8K with the mentioned changes in settings as alluded to in the link

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-picture-screen-clear-crisp-increase-clarity/29688/111

Is quite decent too.  It has been a journey of patience and experimentation with Pimax over the last couple of years but it has been worth it and their contribution to VR is appreciated by myself.  Now, where are my darn Sword Controllers and Base Stations 😁

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, blitze said:

I know right - I understand the issues and am a proponent of the headsets.  The wide FOV is great and what got me into them to start - that and the initial 4K screens of the 8K although there were trade offs for the headset screens as 4K native at the time couldn't do higher than 60Hz and to push it, they used a 1440p signal and up scaled it. The screens RGB matrix also was a compromise.

I think I will have to mod the MAS of the 8K-X.  I have the Metal hinges which prevent the strap from deploying far enough on the back of my head for a secure and comfortable fit.  I can shave 1mm top and bottom of the MAS where it mounts up on the hinge to allow it to move beyond the stops of the metal hinge.  I can wait for Pimax to send out replacements but, we all know that could take a while.

The Face Pad of the 8K-X is nicer but I hated the nose bridge cover but it is clipped in at 3 spots and easy to remove.  If I was concerned with the light leakage after removing it - I would replace it with a cloth alternative but, I don't mind the light leakage as I use the headset in low light conditions.  It also allows a bit of airflow into the headset so I don't feel like I am getting a face sauna at the same time when I use it.

The image quality of the upgrade is nice but, the 8K with the mentioned changes in settings as alluded to in the link

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-picture-screen-clear-crisp-increase-clarity/29688/111

Is quite decent too.  It has been a journey of patience and experimentation with Pimax over the last couple of years but it has been worth it and their contribution to VR is appreciated by myself.  Now, where are my darn Sword Controllers and Base Stations 😁

Interesting. I actually prefer a bit of light leakage by the nose, it's handy for checking your position/orientation in a room and looking for your controllers on your desk, etc. and, as you mentioned the air flow is also very much a plus. 

Yes, I too was waiting for the Sword controllers but then I found out the headset is fully compatible with the Index controllers so I went down that route and I have to I have no regrets whatsoever, they're awesome. 

I am very tempted by the 8K-X, I'm just 100% happy with the 5K+ and I don't want to drop a lot of money on one if I'm going to be somewhat disappointed again.

My biggest problem is my IPD is right at the narrow limit of the headset so, as I mentioned before the lenses rest on the bridge of my nose unless I pad out the facepad where it is sits on my check bones, but this in turn moves the lenses away from my eyes and significantly lowers the sharpness of the image at the outer edges, almost defeating the purpose of having a wide angle HMD in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah - Pimax needs a better and more customizable face-pad solution.

Center and sides separate so one can mix and match thicknesses.  Either that or some soft molding foam - I know with the thicker face pad that came with my 8K-X, I could loose a little in the center and keep the sides the same as current thickness.  This would also bring the lenses a bit closer giving a better sweet spot.

Can't comment on the 5K+ vs 8K-X as I haven't used the 5K+ 

It is nicer though than the 8K.  My poor 8K headset, cracks and all - it still works well though.

On 10/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, Alonzo said:

This just isn’t enough data to be useful. At what settings (Pimax, IL2, everything else) is the 3090 “not enough” ? By “not enough” do you mean it frequently misses the 90hz? What is the average frame rate and under what conditions?

I have a 2080 running my Index at 2100x2300x80hz on High settings in IL2. 3090 is at least twice as quick.

Sorry, it was a busy day, and I did not have time to write a lengthy explanation, and I am not going to here. Put succinctly, the HP Reverb is simply better with IL2 (and DCS, X-Plane, ...) than the Pimax 8K or 8KX. On paper the 8KX is top shit but in real world testing, its implementation is not nearly as nice as the Valve Index or HP Reverb. The 8KX is also a headset that is going to require a RTX 5090 that will be released in 2025 to fully power it smoothly.

23 minutes ago, =ILS=_ppph said:

hi, guys, I got my 8kx but I notice that there was blue glaze over my eyes when you are at menu and it is present while you are in your cockpit as well. I am not sure if it is normal, and anyone may experience it as well? or just me?

PPPh did you remove the lens protective film?

Edited by Aurelius_IL2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Aurelius_IL2 said:

On paper the 8KX is top shit but in real world testing, its implementation is not nearly as nice as the Valve Index or HP Reverb.

Hey! How this can be?

I was assuming that the 8KX for IL-2 was going to be a bit superior overall than G2 (specially in FOV), and not comparable with Index (since it is like 1st gen).

But what you say is like what!!??

Have you tested the three devices with IL-2?

Could you ellaborate more your comparison?

• Like 1
26分鐘前,= ILS = _ppph說:

我只是仔細檢查了一下,鏡頭上沒有保護膜,所以我仍然無法在遊戲中解釋藍釉。有人知道嗎?

你說的是steam vr的守護空間嗎?

也許你拍一張照片才比較好判斷是什麼問題

Edited by =GW=a7610783
  • 1 month later...

I might get my 3090 ftw3 ultra today, and already have the 8KX.

For shots and giggles on a 1080Ti (strix AIB with factory OC) and 3900x with 100% SS max FoV and all settings maxed out (including the draw distance in the other menu) with the exception of in game AA which was turned off in battle of boddenplatte on the ground I was getting around 17fps minimum and in the air around 35 fps average if I remember correctly sold it off but I have 2 screen shots of the graphs from MSI afterburner on my PC that I have to dig out.

One was from my W10 VM with GPU passthrough and the other was bare metal, difference was around 2 fps.

Upgraded to a 5900x last week, pretty excited. If I get the 3090 today I'll try to post some quick and dirty charts.

Update: found some photos I took with a smartphone when I tested on a 1080Ti way back. I was too lazy back then since I was constantly dual booting to test the screenshots are probably on my VM that I cannot access at the moment.

The 16 fps one was on a VM maxed out as mentioned on the ground. The 50 fps photo I can't recall I think it was balanced settings on bare metal or taken high up around 2km up or both. Both were taken in boddenplatte with a P47 if I remember correctly. Fps on the ground was pretty taxing compared to in the air.

Anyways the 3090 results would be more interesting.

Sent this post on a smartphone so pardon my brevity.

IMG20201024193814.jpg

IMG20201024153432.jpg

Edited by sunnyB

Don't have time gotta catch a flight today in a rush, just got the 3090 setup with the Pimax 8KX awful timing was really excited for this upgrade.

There was another thread with benchmarks, might look into it when I am back. Haven't squeezed every bit of perf, only did some moderate OC here and there.

Without further ado..

Bodden Splatte benchmark:

Started a US P47 career in air/dense around 1~1.5 km altitude, did a shallow dive hovering close to a town for a while then crash landed for a quick and dirty test to see what the fps is like near the ground.

On those settings on a 1080Ti was hitting between 17 and  20fps in the ingame green fps overlay, now I see 38~45 averaging around 40fps. Smart smoothing is disabled mind you. with a little settings tuning and OC I can try smart smoothing at 45fps up to 75hz later. These settings are ridiculous I just wanted to stress the GPU, I'll fine tune later.

04-12-2020, 05:07:13 Il-2.exe benchmark completed, 6374 frames rendered in 155.797 s
                     Average framerate  :   40.9 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   34.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   47.2 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   30.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   13.9 FPS

Chart from MSI afterburner (I forgot to save the monitoring file, I don't have time this image should do):

image.thumb.png.32bdd5df33e10cd8b5cec82f7f4ebb72.png

Hardware & OS:

CPU: 5900x - applied PBO with Auto OC + 200Mhz

GPU: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming - stock factory clocked speeds with BIOS DIP switch set to OC - driver 457.51-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql

Ram: DDR4 clocked to 3800Mhz - timings 18-22-22-46 (off the top of my head)

VR HMD: Pimax 8KX (Native 4K per eye 75Hz, largest FoV)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro ( bare metal not running in a VM, if you are interested in a GPU passthrough benchmark on a VM let me know)

Pitool Settings:

image.png.55ff56ca2a4dc18d74d70332d3a9e64c.png 

image.png.9a4e40316162f74fdb990ac80760efe9.png

IL2 Settings:

career: Boddenplatte

P47

mission start in air (flew around a bit then crash landed for a quick test)

hard

dense

Settings >> Graphics:

shadows ultra

mirrors complex

distant landscape detail x4

canopy reflections high

horizon draw distance 150km

landscape filter off

grass quality ultra

clouds quality extreme

antialiasing type fxaa

dynamic resolution factor full

anti aliasing off

enable vr hmd enabled

ssao enabled

hdr enabled

sharpen enabled

use 4k textures enabled

distant buildings enabled

all applied on top of the pre-set ultra

Settings >> Game:

Map Scenery distance unlimited

sound set to highest quality setting

Edited by sunnyB

Sunny, do dedicated CPU Benchmarks in IL-2.

The 5900X runs the fastest in games if you keep PBO disabled and no manual overclock.

It is only faster in synthetics if you enable PBO and manually OC it.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
41 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Sunny, do dedicated CPU Benchmarks in IL-2.

The 5900X runs the fastest in games if you keep PBO disabled and no manual overclock.

It is only faster in synthetics if you enable PBO and manually OC it.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

I'll have a look how you guys are doing your benchmarks so the results align after I'm back from my trip.

I've spent a fair amount of time with the 8KX, coming from the htc vive 1 it was a huuuge upgrade primarily as far as clarity is concerned which is what I was craving the most, FoV was not something I cared about until I spent a fair amount of time to appreciate it.

FoV was not something that popped out to me instantly until I started A/B testing and the difference is huge as far as quality of life is concerned, after a while I get used to the large FoV both vertically and horizontally as it really helps with reducing neck strain since I don't have to swivel my neck around as much and I can sense movement near my periphery.

For instance I can glance at a guage with my eyes without moving my head away from the action or still retain some situational awareness of moving objects whilst immersed into the cockpit's instrumentation.

I am really happy with it, thankfully my unit is not defective as far as the displays and optics are concerned.

But I do have some pet peeves with it, the main one being the optical design.

When you look left or right it is apparent one eye will be slightly sharper than the other because the sweet spot is situated slight divergent from your eye's natural resting position. My IPD is 67mm, I set the IPD dial to 64mm to account for it a little but I cannot eliminate it completely.

The reverb G2 would not have this issue because it is far easier to design lenses for low FoV without compromise.

Pimax did cheap out on the lenses though and stuck with the same lenses as the 5k+ to keep the cost low.

The 75hz refresh does not bother me, I am sensitive to motion sickness. For some reason benign to me I never got motion sick in the 8kx even when playing at 17fps when testing the 1080ti even when gyrating into a death spiral didn't not feel any discomfort at all, it is weird.

In contrast, the vive 1 is 90 hz and dips in frame rate on that HMD made me nauseous after a long sortie roughly 1 hour.

When I received my 8kx the metal bracket hinges had a design defect where they wouldn't allow the back padding to go down low enough. I was impatient so I grabbed my trusty caliper and Dremel and got to work.

Pimax sent me plastic hinges but I never bothered installing them because the workaround I applied was solid.

Comfort is really good compared to my vive1 with DAS I can play for 2 hours straight and not feel any neck strain or discomfort except the hairs on the back of my head feeling a little tingly.

One pet peeve I have with comfort is that it is not comfortable at all to rest the back of your head against a head cushion as is the case with the IKEA Markus. It was the same deal on my Vive 1.

Colours on the 8kx are a little washed out compared to the OLED panels on the Vive but it did not stand out to me, clarity improvement is something I instantly picked up on, colours not so much so.

Bass shakers add a great deal to the experience as well, I went overboard with 1 buttkicker advance then decided to bolt a second one to markus so the vibration is evenly distributed such that I can get the intensity I wanted without thermal shutdown nor have to compromise the gain on the low end frequencies.

It is truely frightening when I would be flying in a sortie without any action then suddenly my chair rattles when I get hit out of the blue.

I can feel the engine rpm changing, it adds a great deal of presence when using software telemetry driven audio through simshaker wings merged with the games audio using voicemeeter banana.

I've been yammering on and on, man I can't wait to get back and test it out with decent performance and better eye candy.

• Thanks 1

@sunnyB

Have a look into Pimax Experience 0.74 Beta

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vr-experience-version-0-74-0-0-beta-available-now/33579

Also, try using PiTool Render (which can be done in PE) of 1.25 or higher but then using SteamVR Video Setting of 50%

I find myself, that PiTool Render setting 1 seems quite fps heavy especially at 100% SteamVR Video setting on Large FOV (5032 x 3160 render resolution per eye)

With PE 0.74 b under "Quick Settings" there is a little icon to the Right of "Common Settings" the top line  - that dumps you into the colour config section of PE where you can calibrate the left and right screens brightness, contrast and RGB values using colour charts and sliders from within the headset.  Really helps.

At the end of the day, most high end GPU's (RTX 2080 and up) should be able to run the 8K-X at near native screen res SS or higher if you have the GPU grunt.  Remember - taking into account vertical res is less than 2160 at native res (allowing for image vertical placement in relation to the screens).

Hinges on the 8K-X were a bit weird and why they shipped like that who knows.  Some dremel them, others replace with Pimax Plastic replacements (me) and then I have seen a post where one guy claimed to just swap the sides of the metal hinges and flip them accordingly.  I mighty look at that.  I also am finding that I might require a layer of velcro to pad out the foam on the headset as if I dial it to tight, the image blurs out and a little distance for me leads to a better (sharper) image.  A layer of velcro between the existing velcro and the foam should do it for me.

Also removed the nose curtain as it was like a sauna for my eyes with it in place.

Actually PiTool 1 with 50% SteamVR isn't bad on the RTX 2080 (3556 x 2232 render target res)

Edited by blitze

@blitze

Yet to try pimax experience, I'll give it a go when I have the chance, I wish there was an option to use keyboard and mouse to navigate settings in VR without having to grab a controller.

I don't use the buttons on the hmd and would like to map them to something else but there is no such feature.

Pimax hasn't sent me the thick foam yet, I need it for glasses they add a little more clarity.

That is probably the only thing I was miffed about, they said they will provide 2 face foams and ended up sending 1 anyways.

FFR is another option to squeeze some more fps but I hear it is not effective for CPU heavy titles like DCS, not sure if the same would apply for il2.

I like doing ground attack missions, currently playing with the stuka. I have to be carefull with any SS because it makes the shimmer less noticeable. It is already hard to spot targets even with all the recommended settings.

In reality it is difficult but I don't think it is this difficult. Reducing gamma further with reshade did help a lot.

I've flown troop concentration missions and couldn't see a damned thing until I committed to the dive and was less than 1km altitude.

AA is the only easy ground target to spot from 3km as well as houses, everything else I don't see until I am dangerously close to AA fire.

So I have to go by the map marker or follow the AI in the dive and hope I can align with a target

• Like 1

Pimax Experience works with mouse when you are navigating the menus.

The other thing is that Pimax Experience allows for tweaking of SteamVR settings like "maxRecommendedResolution": 8192 and GPU Speed settings which with SteamVR determines distance render clarity if I remember right.  The default GPU Speed settings are rather anemic from my experience and setting them correctly makes a big difference to distance clarity.

The 8K-X now also has Backlight Control which again is accessible via PE as well as the individual eye IPD adjustments on the Vertical and Horizontal axis and RGB tuning per eye with calibration charts.

See how you go.  Some are reporting the domain is throwing up errors on the downloads but I had no issue grabbing them.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-experience-0-74/33647/9

One can also launch VR titles from within PE although I am not sure about the stand alone launcher of Il2 but you can always lauinch into SteamVR - Desktop and run it from there.

Funny how sensitive to eye placement this headset is, get it wrong and it is a blurry smear but get it right and clarity is very nice and sharp.

Direct links to the required files here

https://artarmin.com/downloads/pimax/PiToolSetup_1.0.2.087_v2.exe

https://artarmin.com/downloads/pimax/PVRHome-Installer_x86_64_v0.74.0.0.exe

Reference page for original links

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vr-experience-version-0-74-0-0-beta-available-now/33579

I have 2080Ti (with AMD Ryzen 3900X) and Pimax Vision 8K Plus.  I did extensive testing in order to find the optimal setting.  

In the end, I set the PiTool Render Quality to "2",  Refresh rate to "72" (this does not make difference in actual refresh rate inside IL2, because the GPU cannot keep up), and SteamVR super sampling to 0.4.  I get about 35-42 fps inside IL2 with this setting and it is a good trade-off between fps and resolution = clarity of far out objects. 

The SteamVR super sampling number is in direct trade-off with actual frame rate you get in IL2.  If I set it to 0.25, I get 70+ fps.  If I set it to 0.5, I get about 30fps, which is too jaggy for VR.  So now I set it to 0.4. 

Compared with my previous VR headset Vive Pro, I would say the Pimax Vision 8K Plus is a disappointment considering I spent about $900 for it.  The only thing I gained is that I don't have to turn my head as much in order to see enemy at my six (with one eye), thanks to the extra display region at each edge of the eyes.  In return, the color quality is not as good as Vive Pro, and resolution is only slightly higher at the expense of reduced fps. (Before I was getting 60fps in Vive Pro consistently).  I guess the frame rate is limited by the GPU or otherwise CPU speed (don't know which), and when you try to increase it beyond that of Vive Pro (2.5k) you will see frame rate drop. 

• Upvote 1

Having played more I think I am getting happier with the Pimax Vsion 8k plus. The better setting seems to be pitool quality 1.75, and SteamVR supersampling 0.5.  This will give 40-45 FPS in IL2 in my machine even with complex Bodenplatte maps and resolution is clearly better than it was with Vive Pro. My eyes are adjusting to the less vivid color, and I am not bothered by the color anymore. The trick for a clear image was to adjusting the straps for me. Not overtightening the screw in the back, but pull the top Velcro strap to make the HMD sit higher helped with widening the clarity sweet spot for me. 

Did a fair amount of playtesting using various settings and pretty much succumbed to normal FoV at high preset with some rather humble settings in an effort to balance minimizing the judder whilst retaining some eye candy.

Spoiler
  • pitool render quality 1.25
  • SteamVR SS 50%
  • FoV normal (150 degrees)
  • Map Scenery distance 50Km
  • screen resolution 1920x1080
  • UI scale 100%
  • Shadows quality low
  • Mirrors off
  • Distant landscape detail Normal
  • Canopy reflections off
  • Horizon draw distance 70Km
  • landscape filter blurred
  • Grass quality off
  • Clouds quality Medium
  • Antialiasing off
  • SSAO, HDR, 4K textures, Distant Buildings all enabled

Even at these settings there is some slight noticeable judder for fast moving terrain and objects it's like a rubber banding effect. the framerate is not locked at 75Hz it bounces around between 74 and 75 regardless of settings used so judder is never completely eliminated on high preset even if all settings are knocked down to the lowest possible.

Perhaps that is due to the max refresh rate itself not being sufficient for high closing speeds with terrain/aircraft.

Regardless, I won't settle for low or balanced, my way is the highway.

Smart smoothing sucks for this game, judder is noticeable around the edges of the wings and the terrain though the terrain judder is tolerable in comparison. Wouldn't have minded that compromise if it weren't for the wings looking like high frequency blades.

Reducing Large FoV to Normal is not a big loss, but going from Normal to small FoV is very noticeable for me.

One 3090 plus a 5900x later and I still can't satiate my lust for moar powah 🔌 ☢️ 🏭 🚒👨‍🚒😅.

Every now and then I tease myself by testing really high settings then cry myself to sleep at what I could have.

Will it ever be possible to push everything noticeable to max at 75Hz? Will my nuclear reactor ever stop emitting Cherenkov radiation? I guess we'll never know.

TLDR; Science has gone too far, pimax 8kX is the new Crysis.