6FG_ST0N3DLAMA

Pimax 8k x and rtx 3090

I'm just putting the feelers out to see if some one on here has any experience with either of these two?

looking to buy both and boy is it a huge sum of money for me,

anyway so just trying to sponge all respective info! (I've read quite abit but I'm no pro)

any advise in would be muchly appreciated !

6 minutes ago, messsucher said:

I would hold to see how Reverb G2 is. 8k is a bit heavy for current gen graphics card on flight sims.

even with the 3090 :d

4 minutes ago, 6FG_ST0N3DLAMA said:

even with the 3090 :d

Yes. 8k is heavy beast in VR. It would be like 12k or something compared to pancake.

I haven't read too favorable reviews in actual use of Primax 8k either. I believe G2 can be much more ironed out product, while being cheaper. I can be wrong, I am just guessing here, but in any case you should hold it and read actual user experiences with this sim specifically.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Yes. 8k is heavy beast in VR. It would be like 12k or something compared to pancake.

I haven't read too favorable reviews in actual use of Primax 8k either. I believe G2 can be much more ironed out product, while being cheaper. I can be wrong, I am just guessing here, but in any case you should hold it and read actual user experiences with this sim specifically.

yeah thanks for the check i'm very impulsive lmao 
thanks for all the info!

I have sampled the Pimax 8K and am now using the 3090 in my home rig. The 3090 cannot power the 8K at 90 Hz in IL2. Overall, the Reverb provides a better experience than the 8K.

22 hours ago, Aurelius_IL2 said:

I have sampled the Pimax 8K and am now using the 3090 in my home rig. The 3090 cannot power the 8K at 90 Hz in IL2. Overall, the Reverb provides a better experience than the 8K.

This just isn’t enough data to be useful. At what settings (Pimax, IL2, everything else) is the 3090 “not enough” ? By “not enough” do you mean it frequently misses the 90hz? What is the average frame rate and under what conditions?

I have a 2080 running my Index at 2100x2300x80hz on High settings in IL2. 3090 is at least twice as quick.

I think a lot of people are mixing up the 8K and 8KX. The 8K upscales from a lower resolution where as the 8KX uses 4K and therefore requires a bit more power. 

@6FG_ST0N3DLAMA

I have the 5K+ and it's not without its issues, I was bitching about them in another thread, I think some have been amended in the 8KX (ie: the strap) but I don't know about the lens on the nose issue. Here it is if you want to read it, maybe it'll be helpful:

Edited by Soilworker
Typos, etc.

7 hours ago, Soilworker said:

I think a lot of people are mixing up the 8K and 8KX. The 8K upscales from a lower resolution where as the 8KX uses 4K and therefore requires a bit more power.

Indeed. The poster I was replying to said 8K and 90hz, which is upscaled ~1440p on the 8K. Original poster was asking about 8KX which is 75hz native or 90hz upscaled. The person talking about their 8K said (without any reference to more detail) that their 3090 wasn't fast enough.

VR is difficult enough without well-meaning members of the community posting unclear or confusing results. If you want to give some useful data, I humbly suggest you include:

• VR headset make and model, and the mode it is running in (native / upscaled, refresh rate, any other pertinent info) -- e.g. "Pimax 8KX, normal FOV, 75hz, smart smoothing off"
  • SteamVR 'resolution per eye' or Pimax / Oculus equivalent -- e.g. "PiTool 1.25, SteamVR 125%, SteamVR resolution per eye 2700x2300"
  • IL2 game settings, maybe not every setting, but give us an idea -- e.g. "High settings but with clouds and shadows on Medium"
  • Results -- e.g. "I get smooth 90 FPS above 1,000 feet but only 70 FPS at an airfield or in a dogfight with more than 3 planes"

Giving a result without stating all of the above isn't very helpful. For example you could run IL2 with everything set to 'Low' and get a lot more frames out of a particular GPU. Or you could undersample the headset. Or you could use the IL2 built-in "render resolution" slider.

• Like 2