Sign in to follow this  
Gambit21

Meccano kits

You make some fair points, and while I can quibble - I’ll let it rest.

As for Legos - I was a master at the age 8 and I know not of these “Meccanno” of which you speak.

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I'll let it take a brief siesta.

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

As for Legos - I was a master at the age 8 and I know not of these “Meccanno” of which you speak.

Hhmmmm... you might be younger than me. :cool:

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Hhmmmm... you might be younger than me. :cool:

I still have a kits somewhere... from the dark ages. Have a photo of my great grandfather putting together a model as family past time on a sunday. Definitely before cordless screwdrivers. And doing that by hand was like... the whole point of it. I much prefer LEGOs. Although the small parts hurt equally like an M3 screw when you stand on them bare feet, building is much more rewarding. Making your kid tighten 1000 screws by hand on a crane model, that I consider borderline bad parenting.

At least the very first Meccano kits were all steel. Yes, they got rusty, but with a good electric magnet the kid could tidy up his room with just putting on power. ;)

I‘d hate to build a new game rig without a cordless screwdriver. enough Meccano for me. Maybe next summer. I‘m sure DCS will continue to make good use of the latest hardware...

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

On the subject of LEGO wheels, I read that LEGO made 440 million tires last year, making it the largest tire manufacturer in the world. :biggrin:

You see the price of LEGO stuff these days? Holy Sh*t! 

FYI  - I did NOT choose to start this thread - a mod decided for me...that's funny.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I know not of these “Meccanno” of which you speak.

In the states these were called Erector Sets. Probably got mine when I was around 8 - 9 years old, close to sixty years ago. Countless hours of fun at that age.

12 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

In the states these were called Erector Sets. Probably got mine when I was around 8 - 9 years old, close to sixty years ago. Countless hours of fun at that age.

Ahh...ok.

Yeah I never had one - they were a bit out of fashion I think by the time I was that age in 78 or so.  Although they’ve made a resurgence in recent years.

16 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Ahh...ok.

Yeah I never had one - they were a bit out of fashion I think by the time I was that age in 78 or so.  Although they’ve made a resurgence in recent years.

Looks like we're the same age, below is a picture of the Meccano set I got for Christmas around 76 but it could be they lasted longer in the UK than your area but I think they went over the next few years. Lego in those days required imagination not like now where you just follow an instruction booklet to make whatever in on the front of the box.

image.thumb.png.52983bcf431e840f52d3303b46ee4894.png

Edited by Monksilver

i still buy meccano kits when i have the money

here an scape mechanism i designed and built:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I must have been 8 or 10 years young also when I used to play with Meccano.

With the instruction booklet next to me constructing a bridge, a crane or a locomotive.

Counting the holes in the metal bar to find out where to put the next screw. :biggrin:

Can't remember the box art but  parts inside I still remember. Even after more than four decades...

Meccano.jpg

Meccano01.jpg

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Like 1

I had both Lego and Meccano. I had seen some metal Meccano before, but my father gave me and my brother our first wooden Meccano when I was about five. It was the followup of an unpleasant episode involving me fiddling with (and firing) a loaded shotgun left unattended in a rather unsafe public waiting "room" (more like a wine cellar) in a country hairdresser. My father disciplined me, amongst other things saying I was playing with toy guns too much. Just a while letter we got a Meccano set. My brother built a crane. I built my best machine gun.

19 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

when Lego was nothing but a load of oblong blocks.

When Lego was nothing but a load of oblong blocks it was a fantastic children's toy.  Nowdays it's an enormous, global monster helping to destroy our planet.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

When Lego was nothing but a load of oblong blocks it was a fantastic children's toy.  Nowdays it's an enormous, global monster helping to destroy our planet.

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse...

Edited by AndyJWest

12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

That‘s harsh. But it certainly does its best to destroy retailing.

5 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse...

:biggrin: I know........but lets face it;  Lego started out making something that was a simple yet wonderfully practical stimulus to any childs imagination.   Where are we in 2020?

Lego is a hugely successful profit centre.  A by-product of it's success is the amount of indestructible plastic deposited in our oceans and our big holes in the ground.

7 hours ago, raaaid said:

i still buy meccano kits when i have the money

here an scape mechanism i designed and built:

I gonna build that. It will give me plenty of laid 

Wifey will get so annoyed by the noise that I can ask for anything to make it stop

• Haha 1

I had 'Fischertechnik' as a boy. Was still quite simple in the early '70s but nowadays...

713991656_Download(4).thumb.jpg.303f9c1c92714381ff749134872e4173.jpg

Edited by vonGraf

On 10/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, Gambit21 said:

I had both, and Meccano taught me about the good old "Nach fest kommt ab" (beyond "tight" comes "off") *how tightly can I torque that screw* game.

Well. Let's put it that way: Most panels didn't have too much paint left on them after me srewing around with them...

On 10/17/2020 at 7:45 PM, DD_Arthur said:

Nowdays it's an enormous, global monster helping to destroy our planet.

"You're eating your rollerblades!"

- Bill Burr

• Upvote 1