Hurricane and Cliffs of Dover

Avimimus

I highly recommend Tobruk: Desert Wings for those who are waiting - a lot of other content - and I've been strafing columns in the Hurri IIC quite a bit these days... it is pretty enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/14/2020 at 7:17 PM, Avimimus said:

I highly recommend Tobruk: Desert Wings for those who are waiting - a lot of other content - and I've been strafing columns in the Hurri IIC quite a bit these days... it is pretty enjoyable.

I have bought it when there was hype two months ago, and honestly did not like it at all. The flight is somewhat OK, but the missions, especially in the expansion Tobruk are very difficult to understand. The AI also kamikazee into desert after a dogfight.

Although I was VERY disappointed with Tobruk I found it slightly enjoyable starting over the original game campaign as RAF pilot against the Germans.

Edited by Zeev
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Zeev said:

I have bought it when there was hype two months ago, and honestly did not like it at all. The flight is somewhat OK, but the missions, especially in the expansion Tobruk are very difficult to understand. The AI also kamikazee into desert after a dogfight.

Although I was VERY disappointed with Tobruk I found it slightly enjoyable starting over the original game campaign as RAF pilot against the Germans.

CoD and it seems Tobruk are at the moment a bit online focused. Not much high quality offline content.

1 hour ago, oc2209 said:

Ha, I respectfully disagree.

I kind of like the distinctive Hawker tail shapes. They're virtually unchanged all the way back to their biplane designs. Take a good look at the Hawker Hart, for instance, and I think you'll see a pretty strong resemblance to the Hurricane in both the tail and nose. It's a retro look, but again, one I rather like.

In terms of other planes that aren't known for their looks, I think the P-47's a pretty damn fine looking plane. The wing shape, the tail shape; and the razorback is a little more aggressively attractive than the bubble canopy.

Just as an example of how subjective aesthetics are, I've always thought the Zero was... not quite ugly, but certainly dull. The wing shape is nothing special, the canopy is too heavily framed to look sleek, and the stubby, tiny radial engine is just all kinds of meh.

Agree about Zero, looks like piss. Tempest and P-40 look great, like heavy power fighters. A little exaggerated looks for the actual performance, though, but look great. P-51 looks horrible, never liked the shape and the belly air intake. Awful!

2 hours ago, Zeev said:

Interesting. What made the missions hard to understand? I've mainly been using the full mission builder (found in the menu under 'extras') to make missions for myself... and it is quite a bit faster to do so than it is in Great Battles.

The AI is controlled by a several sliders which makes it a bit complicated to set up. FYI - Great Battles/Rise of Flight had a similar problem for a long time - there were a few specific techniques that one could use which would cause all of the AI attackers to crash.

1 hour ago, messsucher said:

CoD and it seems Tobruk are at the moment a bit online focused. Not much high quality offline content.

Oh? Have you tried the campaigns? As I mentioned - I've mainly been using the full mission builder... so I'd be interested in hearing your review.

5 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Interesting. What made the missions hard to understand? I've mainly been using the full mission builder (found in the menu under 'extras') to make missions for myself... and it is quite a bit faster to do so than it is in Great Battles.

The AI is controlled by a several sliders which makes it a bit complicated to set up. FYI - Great Battles/Rise of Flight had a similar problem for a long time - there were a few specific techniques that one could use which would cause all of the AI attackers to crash.

Oh? Have you tried the campaigns? As I mentioned - I've mainly been using the full mission builder... so I'd be interested in hearing your review.

I don't know if they have made new offline content to Blizz CoD. But original CoD had everything offline very bad, except mission builder, but that is not exactly offline content, it is a tool. I remember flying the yellow biplane training aircraft missions only, think they were bugged too. There are not many who played the other campaign to the point where spitfire girl came. I did not. If you wanted playable offline stuff you had to create it yourself of buy third party stuff, which happened to be released quite quick by some one man or so German company.

IRRE_Rafale22
53 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

When it comes to talk about aesthetics in aviation... Japanese Zeroes are supermodels. End of story. :dance:

I would even add aerodynamics to aesthetics regarding the zero 

Thank you Jirō Horikoshi for this master peace you create  :salute:

• Upvote 1

343KKT_Kintaro
2 hours ago, Rafale22 said:

Thank you Jirō Horikoshi for this master peace you create  :salute:

this masterpiece you created 😉

Otherwise, yes, you're absolutely right.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, messsucher said:

I don't know if they have made new offline content to Blizz CoD. But original CoD had everything offline very bad, except mission builder, but that is not exactly offline content, it is a tool. I remember flying the yellow biplane training aircraft missions only, think they were bugged too. There are not many who played the other campaign to the point where spitfire girl came. I did not. If you wanted playable offline stuff you had to create it yourself of buy third party stuff, which happened to be released quite quick by some one man or so German company.

There are a bunch of new hand-crafted campaigns and single missions included with Tobruk... you should check them out. They are also campaigns made by different people, so the mission styles will be quite different.

6 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

When it comes to talk about aesthetics in aviation... Japanese Zeroes are supermodels. End of story. :dance:

I would have to agree . . .  with the previous post above yours - the Zero is a bit funny looking. Not sleek, odd canopy, stubby nose, far less elegant than a Spitfire - but it doesn't look brutish enough to look as cool as something like a Hurricane or Focke-Wulf.

Good plane though. Just not a looker.

• Upvote 1

Guess that is a subjective thing. Personally I find the Zero much better looking than the Hurricane which just looks old

Of all the Zero models I think I find the -3 model to be the best looking.

Mitsubishi_A6M3_Zeke_Model_22_1943.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The AI is controlled by a several sliders which makes it a bit complicated to set up.

Ah, those slider... I found that ideal is keep AI sliders around Average and Veteran, avoiding Rookie (basically a fly straight drone) and Ace (slider in 100%), the last specially for Advanced Flight, because if used in 100% allow AI "flap" wings at fast rate, and avoid 100% too for Gunnery. But is good use 100% for bombers, making gunners very dangerous. 

Can use 100% for things like Vision, Awareness... 

Oh? Have you tried the campaigns?

This week I am trying make an script work in the old "Battle for France" (Hurricane) campaign and play half dozen of missions and find very enjoyable.

Short flights and plenty of combat - what help mask AI "shenanigans" (like the bug of enter in passive mode after X minutes of combat) , including see an unprecedented thing, an AI Bf 110 doing a hammerhead. 

The Oden "Dynamic Mission" (now in 10th version) is another good play.

I find curious that this guy in SImHQ swear that original CloD AI - before disastrous Lutier patches, was good.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4462570/re-bf-109-e3-ai-vs-rotol-ai#Post4462570

Edited by Sokol1

343KKT_Kintaro

Hey Karaya, very famous photo. The man in the cockpit is Hiroyoshi Nishizawa, of the Tainan Kokutai, one of the most famous Japanese aces.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:17 AM, messsucher said:

I remember flying the yellow biplane training aircraft missions only, think they were bugged too. 

That "Training" module is a synthesis of Cliffs of Dover:

- Cost much work for what offer, the voice dialog's, despite bad, took a good time to be made.

- Is unfinished (are pictures and briefings for more two "to do" missions in the folder").

- Is purposelees, no one "new/casual" player will learn something with that module unless have patience.

- Seems done be someone that don't know much about planes: the dialog try replicate original Tiger Moth engine start procedures, what don't fit for CloD two clicks engine start by lager margin.

- Was untested, or the guy have notice the bug of the second mission, the plane crash after AI "instructor" take control.* :joy: 😬

* At first I think that the crash was due error in scripts, try look at those, but are nothing in the folder... so think that script are inside SFS files, but recently I learn that scripts are not used for this module, but the thing was hard-coded in that way.

But, as I doubt that someone in the whole Earth globe has fiddled with CloD more than me, I end discovering, by accident, why the "instructor" crash the Tiger Moth. 

- AI simple are not able to do landings with Tiger Moth in 90%+ or attempts, because AI start "play" ping-pong with "wing slats" and stall the plane. The crash is replicated in any other airfield, with just one Tiger Moth in the mission.

Neither TFS notice this when making that "Alice in Wonderland" 😜 Tiger Moth versions, by choice with one these AI are able to do landings OK, the A-1 model.

That said, I will quote  again for who other CloD reality: 😉

....are not many who played the other campaign to the point where spitfire girl came. I did not. 

Like you most people play just "15 minutes" and condemn the game - not that he is not guilty, but it is a very superficial view.

...here are not many who played the other campaign to the point where spitfire girl came**. I did not. If you wanted playable offline stuff you had to create it yourself of buy third party stuff, 

** LOL. I see one guy posting that finish that campaign. :biggrin:

But, besides (now of business) Desastersof payware campaigns, oriented for "hardhead", ops "hard core" players (meet objective is required for progress, dead is dead), I can list this free campaigns for Cliffs of Dover, some long, some short, some good - I am nothing an typical SP player, let's say a former MP grounded, that take a look in SP contend (play some missions).

Cliffs of Dover - REDUX

Adler Tag - REDUX

Malta (What if)

Sea Lion (What if)

Battle of Britain * 

Battle for France * 

Dunkirk - Operation Dynamo *

Spitfires over Dunkirk

Messerschmitts over Dunkirk

II/StG1 - Sturzkampfgeschwader  *

III./JG2 "Richthofen" *

JG53 "Pik As" *

III / JG26 "Schlageter" *

II / ZG26 - Zerstörergeschwader *

Erprobungsgruppe 210 - Erpr.Gr.210  *

NJG 1 - Nachtjagdgeschwader *

KG53 "Legion-Kondor" *

I./KG54 "Totenkopf" *

Blenheim * 

Eagle Day

August 1940, First Combat

August 18, 1940

Spitfire Dawn

Spitfire on my tail

Hun'in'the'Sun (two versions)

CFS 1 (Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1) campaign ported for Cliffs of Dover

* This campaigns are made by Piper Kiev, I see him mention a Beaufigher campaign, but don't know status.

The Oden - Dynamic Mission (now in 10th revision)

And a bunch of Single Missions, some very good, like Manston (by Ajay).

I enjoy play (Piper Kiev) "Battle for France".

Edited by Sokol1

6 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

are not many who played the other campaign to the point where spitfire girl came. I did not. [/quote]

Like you most people play just "15 minutes" and condemn the game - not that he is not guilty, but it is a very superficial view.

A bit confused with these quotes, is there someone I have ignored?

Anyway, there was no reason to play offline content in CoD when it was released because it just sucked. There were tons of campaigns and missions in mission4today for original IL-2. CoD worked online or with those Desastersoft campaigns Sokol1 mentioned, which I by the way bought and enjoyed.

• 8 months later...
pocketshaver

the game has a massive amount of offline content. Its ALMOST a career mode if you do everythign in order and fly for the british.  

Its good, it just sucks that as i havent mastered takeoffs yet, i just play the ones that spawn in the air.   For some reason i just have this issue of a quick hop and crash, or just nose the propeller into the ground in 5 seconds. 

• Haha 2

Buzzsaw
On 7/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, pocketshaver said:

the game has a massive amount of offline content. Its ALMOST a career mode if you do everythign in order and fly for the british.  

Its good, it just sucks that as i havent mastered takeoffs yet, i just play the ones that spawn in the air.   For some reason i just have this issue of a quick hop and crash, or just nose the propeller into the ground in 5 seconds. 

Do you have a joystick with a twist rudder or a set of rudder pedals?

These make a big difference in how easy it is to takeoff.

Key in all aircraft takeoffs is to get the aircraft pointed in the right direction before starting the takeoff roll.  (many missions start on the runway anyway)

The other key factor is not to apply full throttle to start.  All these aircraft are modeled for torque effects from the engines and props, and when you immediately apply full throttle, there will be a huge torque applied to turn the aircraft sideways and off the runway.

It is in almost all cases, better to gently roll on the throttle... countering the torque effects with the rudder... and don't exceed 80% until the aircraft is rolling straight and true down the runway.... sometimes wait till the tail comes up.

Then you can apply full throttle for the last part of the takeoff.

• 2 weeks later...
pocketshaver
On 10/16/2020 at 3:11 AM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

They did a superb job of stealing the high speed racing airplane designed by Howard Hughes when they totally designed the zero. 

If memory serves all that was changed was adding machine guns, self sealing fuel tanks, and a new paint coat.

• Sad 1

343KKT_Kintaro

Transform a racer into a sea-fighter aircraft ("hey, this only needs to have machine guns added and more fuel") and you'll notice how performances decrease drastically. The Zero is a Japanese design. 100%. On its own. Yes sir. Maybe the Hughes aircraft's tail ressembles the Zero's... even if Horikoshi denied it... other than this far possibility... there's nothing else to say on the matter.

Zero: Clear rip-off

Has a tail, a fuselage, an engine and two wings. 

🙄

• Haha 3

palker4
1 hour ago, Karaya said:

Zero: Clear rip-off

Has a tail, a fuselage, an engine and two wings. 

🙄

right they should have been al sued by the Wright brothers for stealing their ideas

AndyJWest

General Dynamics clearly based the F-16 on the Fokker Eindekker.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

General Dynamics clearly based the F-16 on the Fokker Eindekker.

They even stole fly-by-wire from it!

• Haha 1

LuseKofte

I am clearly more dissapointed about car development. Adult said to me that all cars could fly in 2020 back in the 70's

They still make planes the same way. By now they should look like dinner plates

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Enceladus

Back during the Apollo missions, people at the Kennedy and Johnson Space Centers anticipated that in 10-20 years they would be doing manned missions to Mars or return man to the Moon, neither of which happened.

jollyjack
32 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Back during the Apollo missions, people at the Kennedy and Johnson Space Centers anticipated that in 10-20 years they would be doing manned missions to Mars or return man to the Moon, neither of which happened.

I was recently really hoping Brazos shot himself to any Moon, Mars, or further ... what a waste of resources that was. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1